Need Advice Hosting Server

AviG's Avatar AviG8/3/15 10:39 am
1 emeralds 138 4
8/7/2015 3:21 pm
GeekyDaddy's Avatar GeekyDaddy
Hey, AviG here!

I wanted to host a server, that has a consistent 15 players on at once. I have lots of questions. Sorry if I sound stupid, but I am completely new to this.
1. How much RAM? How much RAM do I need for 15 players and almost no lag?
2. What host? And don't say a link to the website because you can get banned on these forums for that. And why should I choose that host?
3. My budget is around $10-$15, is that possible for my requirements^. If not, how much will it cost.
4. Do I need knowledge of programming to do this?
5. I also want a custom IP, or at least a subdomain name. How?
6. VPS or Shared Hosting?
7. I am looking at spartanhosting- are they any good?

Please, if you have experience, than help point me in the right direction
AviG
Level 1 : New Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/07/2015 3:21 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
GeekyDaddy
1) As most stated 1G for 20 players (vanilla of course). You need to specify this to the JVM when you start your server that you are giving it 1G. Use switch -Xmx<size>. Make sure you also have enough ram for the OS to run on the machine. If you start adding plugins start increasing your RAM.
2) Instead of having a hosting service with your own name you might want to consider a DDNS service. Some places are free (you'll have to shop for this) and you can kind of create your own name like mymcserver.someDDNSdomain.com.
3) You should be able to find some hosting company, but the cost may be higher if you want your own name.
4) You don't need knowledge of programming, but a basic understanding of networking and the TCP/IP protocol.
5) Having a permanent IP address, you would need to speak to your ISP. But when you seek a permanent IP, they tend to view this as business needs and jack up the prices. If you are not worried about domain name check out DDNS services
6) You can run your server has a Shared machine, but enable whitelisting where you specify which persons can sign into the server.
7) I'm not familiar with their service.
08/06/2015 12:12 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
gegit
1. 15 players reliable? Bukkit would work at like 2G no lag with a lot of plugins. If your hosting anything more than factions, you will need more... For instance Towny and prison will take up lots of ram.

2. Completely up to you. i recommend mcprohost(you will realize why below... I originally said no because if custom ip but...)

3. 10-15$ ok maybe use ProHost to skip the worry of a custom ip and just have the mcph in your ip e.x. Myserver.mcph.com But yes, you can do it with 10$-15$, in fact 10$ is a great starting budget. I re read do note that on ProHost is 20$ monthly... Ok you will be fine at 10$ monthly(1G), but only with factions, or a simple server.

4. Not unless you want to make custom plugins, which are quite popular. If you do hire a dev to do it for you. A great alternative is the plugin script, which allows for simple custom plugins, with no programming experience whatsoever.

5. Ok, if you use ProHost this won't be a worry(above). In fact I now recommend you use it.
6. Not sure XD talk with who you host.

7. Don't know them I still keep my recommendation on mcprohost
08/03/2015 9:32 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Network
Karbru
1. 1GB without plugins, Bukkit depends on how many plugins you have. The more plugins and players you have the more GB's of ram you will need.

2. Depends what your looking for, Looking for reliability go with mcprohosting, there prices are mostly average and are the most used hosting company. If you want a clean UI and interface and its really simple to use go with nitrous, It does cost a bit more then other hosts but it comes with some extra features compared to others.

3. Your budget is fine for most hosting companys, really depends if you want to add extra features like ddos protection ect.

4. NONE, unless you want to make custom plugins or other things that require code. the average user wont require code for servers.

5. if you want to get a free one you can just search up how, but the downsides are that it comes with a .(websites name) at the end of your ip. Most hosting companys offer you do buy a extra custom ip, Prices can be really cheap or really high.

6. Not too sure about VPS and shared, Ask the hosting company.

7. Never used sparten there prices seem pretty average and they look like a alright host.

Goodluck and make sure to have fun with your server!
08/03/2015 10:46 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
jelly_banana
You need at least 1GB ram for 20 players (Vanilla).
I don't gonna say a hosting because I can banned on PMC but look furthur on google there are a lot hosting company's
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome