Need a group of people for a computer build

FCCAGut's Avatar FCCAGut10/1/14 3:01 am
1 emeralds 1.5k 52
10/2/2014 2:27 pm
FCCAGut's Avatar FCCAGut
I'm working on starting my own computer brand and I'm looking for people that can help me come up with the hardware. The OS has been custom built by me and a previous version is available for public release at distrowatch.

These computers won't come out until 2016. That gives us 1 year to work on the designs. These computers will be designed for beginner programming and computer learning. I'm focusing on the Intel Celeron as they don't support Hyper-Threading. No need for dedicated graphics, integrated is fine. At least 2 RAM sticks in case one fails, you will still have a backup. If you have any feedback or suggestions for this idea or these builds, please contact me here.
FCCAGut
Level 6 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/02/2014 2:27 pm
FCCAGut
I think our highest contenders as far as processors go are Pentiums and Celerons. It comes down to which is actually cheaper when combined with a motherboard. The motherboard at this time is the tie-breaker. As far as those go Micro ATX and Mini ITX are the popular choices with this project. When we have that figured out we will start looking at cases. As you can imagine there's a lot of choice involved.

My recommendation: look at processors and motherboards now. Celerons are cheaper than Pentiums but the motherboard may be more expensive than having both a Pentium processor and a motherboard, but the Pentium may also lack features as well.

WiFi is something I've been wanting to get into for a couple of reasons. I prefer PCI not USB. I've been looking at Rosewill. When it comes to WiFi adapters they must be compatible with Linux and most use Realtek technology which is a top brand in hardware. Brand names don't matter too much in that category. I'm thinking about putting this as an add-on.

Keyboards (not mice) is something worth looking into. Keyboards are what defines how fun it is to type and how it feels to communicate with. I personally like the membrane based Logitech K120. Although more expensive than I want to go with this, I want to try out a Unicomp keyboard. The company who owns the rights to the original Model M IBM keyboards.
10/02/2014 12:33 am
FCCAGut
To solve the question about the multiple RAM sticks. This is sort of a hit or miss. I do recommend them. This mostly goes to the fact if we're doing doubles. I've seen a lot of computer builds try to save money by buying 2 sticks and adding one 8 gigabyte stick and save the other for another build. That bothers me as 8 gigs has a higher rate of failure than a smaller amount. Let's be honest a high amount of bad RAM can really ruin someone's day. If it were me I would add 4x2x2. If the 4 gigs failed well you still got 2 good sticks (4GB combined). This is also the recommendation I use for business computers.

A little bit of computer class.......there is a way to make bad RAM work for you. Bad RAM is one of the easiest things to diagnose and one of the easiest things to fix. Using 2 gigs gives you a chance to continue using both sticks if one fails to allow you to POST. This is because most of the time when you make a diagnosis you will see the bad RAM in the first slot. Even though it is random access, the BIOS has to use the first 64K in memory, if it can't write this will prevent it from running services to run other drivers. You can swap this RAM to another slot another RAM stick occupies and the problem will mostly be gone, unless you start running programs/the more you run in a given time, the more likely you will crash. It's a cheap "trick" and I do this personally, works well under Linux as handles memory much more efficiently than Windows. There are other tricks you can try, more theorized than anything else, but your main concern should always be the BIOS.

Many people do not think of this as RAM is soley regarded as "random". When speaking at the BIOS level (lowest level), it is always "sequential". For people who were born after 2000, we had a way to access the BIOS in memory. DOS would read the memory the BIOS was using and you could edit it, to an extent. Windows 2000 stopped because this was the first time Windows NT came to consumers (no more DOS). Computers haven't changed much in these terms, it just keeps them kept out by either the CPU itself or by the OS, or simply both.

We gotta be quality and we can't make excuses. Bad RAM happens. Our reputation shouldn't be defined by failing hardware and we must build software to fill in these gaps. While most RAM is on a lifetime warranty, it is not an excuse.
10/02/2014 12:02 am
Level 29 : Expert Pokemon
rstar42
FCCAGut
rstar42I think I've managed to create something that ticks all the boxes of this project! If not please do let me know.

The CPU is an Intel Pentium G2030. I've managed to find a mini itx case that is green for $40 which was the cheapest I could find, although the case may be a little bright. The system has 4GB RAM as well as 250GB Storage. I was unable to find an inexpensive motherboard which had on-board USB 3.0 panels though. The build also has a PCI-E WiFi Adapter. The total cost is $239.

It can be viewed here, http://pcpartpicker.com/user/rstar42/saved/vThv6h
Please give me feedback so I can change this design to be suitable!

I'm not too sure about the USB 3.0 headers. It seems to be very hard to find motherboards on pcpartpicker (I've looked) that have 3.0 headers. Including mini ITX. I may be wrong with this theory but can 3.0 convert to 2.0 speeds with backwards compatibility? That and the fact that I don't see anything stating motherboards have 2.0 headers on pcpartpicker, which is a common sight on standard ATX.

It should work seeing as you can plug in USB 2.0 devices succesfully into USB 3.0 slots so I don't see why not. The USB 3.0 Headers aren't needed because on my PC I don't have them and the front space where they were supposed to go was just covered by a panel so there is an easy way around this problem.
10/01/2014 11:04 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Network
SwiftFX
Ta da:
[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9qtVf7) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9qtVf7/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [AMD A6-5400K 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad540kokhjbox) | $49.99 @ Amazon
**Motherboard** | [Asus A55BM-E Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-a55bme) | $39.99 @ Micro Center
**Memory** | [G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-mem ... 0cl9d4gbxl) | $44.99 @ Newegg
**Storage** | [Corsair Force LX Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-in ... sdf128gblx) | $59.99 @ Newegg
**Case** | [Xion XON-560 MicroATX Mini Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xion-case-xon560bk) | $29.99 @ Newegg
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-po ... ply-cx430m) | $29.99 @ Newegg
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $254.94
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 22:59 EDT-0400 |
10/01/2014 10:50 pm
rstar42
Having seperate RAM can boost performance, although, I do agree that maybe there should only be 1 RAM stick. This saves quite a bit of money on the build and it is extremely unlikely that the RAM will fail. Just wondering if RAM has a warranty, if so then it shouldn't be a problem if the RAM fails because it can be replaced under warranty. Also @Killertoad, I would suggest that you change the power supply to a more reliable one, this was suggested to me by someone earlier.
10/01/2014 11:00 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
The performance boost is not worth maybe 50 cent. And yeah, if it fails, there's something wrong with it, and you can get another stick.

And the PSU is fine. No one is doing any heavy loads on it, you wont use more than ~140 watts.
10/01/2014 10:44 pm
Killertoad
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Celeron G1820 2.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($47.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Elite 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($32.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($31.49 @ Amazon)
Case: Topower TP-1687BB-300 (Black/White) MicroATX Desktop Case w/300W Power Supply ($34.98 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $207.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 22:41 EDT-0400

Here is what I came up with; you said it was for pretty much a basic computer, or programming only, right? Well this would be all they need. Comes with a built in PSU, which would be fine for this. Also only one stick of ram, because honestly, how often does ram fail? Not very often, and if it does, which is rare, just replace it. You'll have a little profit margin for just those issues.

The CPU is more than enough. Not really much slower than the pentium G3220. And I threw in a disk drive, because maybe they will use it. If not, then put in a wifi adapter.

This is really all anyone would need for programming, and even then this is probably "overkill".
10/01/2014 10:26 pm
Level 23 : Expert Toast
zute6
Your gonna have to kick your budget to 700.
Save up because this computer will be extremely shit
10/01/2014 10:31 pm
Killertoad
I don't think you understand what is going on....

Anyways, why would anyone need to spend 700?
10/01/2014 10:30 pm
rstar42
You clearly haven't read the post properly. This computer isn't for gaming or any high power things. It's for learning programming and getting to know your way around a computer. I believe these specs will be perfectly fine for what they will need to achieve.
10/01/2014 10:19 pm
rstar42
I think I've managed to create something that ticks all the boxes of this project! If not please do let me know.

The CPU is an Intel Pentium G2030. I've managed to find a mini itx case that is green for $40 which was the cheapest I could find, although the case may be a little bright. The system has 4GB RAM as well as 250GB Storage. I was unable to find an inexpensive motherboard which had on-board USB 3.0 panels though. The build also has a PCI-E WiFi Adapter. The total cost is $239.

It can be viewed here, http://pcpartpicker.com/user/rstar42/saved/vThv6h
Please give me feedback so I can change this design to be suitable!
10/02/2014 12:00 am
FCCAGut
I'm not too sure about the USB 3.0 headers. It seems to be very hard to find motherboards on pcpartpicker (I've looked) that have 3.0 headers on mini ITX. I may be wrong with this theory but can 3.0 convert to 2.0 speeds with backwards compatibility? That and the fact that I don't see anything stating motherboards have 2.0 headers on pcpartpicker, which is a common sight on standard ATX.
10/01/2014 10:04 pm
FCCAGut
Winspee 4.0 is for creatives. Even then 1TB would be way too much. I've asked around for the hard drive space and many have said 100-200gigs are fine. 500GB was a number I was leaning towards.

One thing I do want to say in regard to storage is HDD would be preferred, not just because of price and storage space but also because we want to have the RAM store a lot of the cache to read the main files quicker. I can design the OS to do it as we can store the entire shell into the RAM. This is faster than SSD as there's no cable and it relies on Northbridge. SSD's are like a slower kind of RAM to me, the cables really slow it down and I just want it to be as permanent storage. Nothing fancy.
10/01/2014 9:57 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
I went to add a Wifi adapter and then I realized my mobo doesn't have a PCI x1 slot XD, is Wifi something it would need? If so, would USB wifi be good (there are 2 USB 3.0 Slots in the back, and there are USB 3.0 Wifi adapters)
10/01/2014 9:50 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Explorer
53MP3RF1
It's not worth going with a Core 2 Duo, especially because motherboards that fit the socket are $60+. With the $30 or so you spend with buying the Core 2 Duo, you could buy a mATX h81, h87, or b85 motherboard for $40 and then spend the extra $20 that you saved from the motherboard by buying a Pentium G3220/G3258 for only $5 or $10 more. Also, it's almost never a good idea to go with a case with an integrated PSU, as they most likely aren't very efficient at best and blow up your PC at worst. The only time I would recommend going with one would be if you were using a case like EVGA's Hadron, but that case has a ridiculous markup on the 80+ Gold PSU it has inside, making it much more worth it to spend less on a Cooler Master Elite 130 and a Corsair CSM 500w Gold PSU.
10/01/2014 9:55 pm
rstar42
Thanks for the feedback, I'll redo my build and go from there.
10/01/2014 9:49 pm
RoboShadow
rstar42
RoboShadowA update to rstar42's build, substitutes the HDD for an SSD removes the GPU, since the motherboard has a GPU build in.

Didn't see that the Mobo had GPU support. Thanks for that!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/rstar42/saved/rktLrH

Removed GPU. Swapped 250GB HDD for 500GB HDD, SSD's are too expensive for a reasonable amount of storage and I think 500GB is a good amount. Added a PCI-E Wifi Adapter! Comes in at $227

If these computers are only used for learning and beginning programming, 128 GB should be enough, I would think, has the OP said anything about hard drives or storage? And also, the reviews on that case don't look to good. The HDD and disc drive installations require lots of disassembly that several have broken the quite fragile case on.
10/01/2014 9:42 pm
rstar42
RoboShadowA update to rstar42's build, substitutes the HDD for an SSD removes the GPU, since the motherboard has a GPU build in.

Didn't see that the Mobo had GPU support. Thanks for that!

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/rstar42/saved/rktLrH

Removed GPU. Swapped 250GB HDD for 500GB HDD, SSD's are too expensive for a reasonable amount of storage and I think 500GB is a good amount. Added a PCI-E Wifi Adapter! Comes in at $227
10/01/2014 9:40 pm
RoboShadow
And I really do recommend a Mini ITX build like this one for it's low power consumption and small size giving it maximum portability. This also supports a full size hard drive and dvd drive ans has the space and extra power for a dedicated GPU if you plan on adding one.

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ECS H81H3-I/HDMI (V1.0) Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($55.99 @ Mwave)
Memory: G.Skill NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($42.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair Force LX Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Apex MI-008 Mini ITX Tower Case w/250W Power Supply ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $272.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 21:39 EDT-0400
10/01/2014 9:52 pm
FCCAGut
My very first designs were mini ITX. I liked the case of the http://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/produ ... is/prodigy It does have USB 3.0 headers which I liked about your choice of motherboard. NOTE: I like blue cases. Blue is the color of Winspee, as well as green. Blue and green case could work, just don't be "bold". Blue is a friendly color. Blue, I feel is an engaging color without adding fluff.
10/01/2014 9:58 pm
RoboShadow
Alright, I'll try to find something like that. The bitfenix cases are a little expensive, and the case shouldn't be 40% of the cost.
10/01/2014 9:39 pm
RoboShadow
A update to rstar42's build, substitutes the HDD for an SSD removes the GPU, since the motherboard has a GPU build in.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz Dual-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($27.45 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Biostar G41D3G Micro ATX LGA775 Motherboard ($64.49 @ Amazon)
Case: Xion XON-720P_RD MicroATX Slim Case w/300W Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $244.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 21:38 EDT-0400
10/01/2014 8:38 pm
rstar42
I've designed another build using a Core2Duo.
It can be viewed here, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vgxDnQ

The total build comes in at $218 and one feature I really liked about this one is that it is a "slim micro atx" case and it also has a built-in power supply which saves some money. This build could have been much cheaper if there was a less expensive motherboard compatible with the core2duo. I also added two RAM sticks this time, 2x2GB which should be plenty.

Hope you like this build!
10/01/2014 6:57 pm
53MP3RF1
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-15-3531-laptop/pd?oc=fncwc3001b&model_id=inspiron-15-3531-laptop

http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/tablets/asus-transformer-book-t100

These are two inexpensive laptops that should do what you need.

One thing I was wondering was if you had thought about instead of having this as a desktop OS having it as a tablet OS? Most of the newer tablets are now being priced at only $100, which is quite cheap. However, you lose the functionality of a dedicated keyboard and I personally don't like the funky way tablets allow you to move the cursor around to select text.

Waterproofing/making a computer a backpack would probably be POSSIBLE, but not really feasible. I wish I could remember the exact thing, but a few years back there was a campaign along the lines of "buy a computer, give a computer". The computers being given to people in need were white plastic, with a big green X in the middle (I think?). They even had a little handle, which allowed them to be carried around like a tiny little briefcase. However, I think personally that if you are specifically looking to help people learn with both your OS and the computer, it wouldn't be feasible to build a desktop because of the extra cost of a monitor/tv and a mouse and keyboard. There are things like Lapdocks (basically, they were a little 10 inch screen that would be able to hook up to your phone and you could do work on it), but those are no longer manufactured. I think a nice laptop could definitely do what you need. That 15" Dell laptop I linked would probably be about $80 less if you could get a deal with the manufacturer, considering the fact that Windows costs $80 retail. Of course, I doubt that's what the company ACTUALLY pays for it, but I'm sure if you didn't want Windows on the laptops when you got them there could be a price reduction.
10/01/2014 7:40 pm
FCCAGut
You bring a very good point in laptops and I was thinking somehow had a folding screen embeeded into these devices. There are ways around not having a monitor. I can handle the keyboard and the mice myself. There is one thing I don't like about laptops. Laptops are very proprietary and OLPC (One Laptop Per Child) I think is what you're thinking about. On top of that and a really big problem was there used to be a Linux computer brand that sold theirs through Walmarts in the U.S. and they had high return rates and the problem (I think) was they were used to Windows. PC is a very very strict (Windows) business and it will absolutely kill this idea. We don't want to be associated with the term PC and we have to go "around the cancerous growth of Windows in a majority of consumer electonics", or in simpler terms, be where Windows won't be. It's the same reason why we call Macs Macs. As much as the "PC" people hate it, Macs sell people people think it's not a PC (to Apple's credit PC's stopped being PC's when the Internet was widely used). It's genius and will prevent issues with "incompatibility". I don't think it's a good idea to be with Dell or these other ones. You're not just battling with choice, but what others expect from that brand.

Tablets have been something, specifically ARM. However ARM isn't really my thing until much later. We will be battling tablet wars, I won't go as far as saying tablets can't do what we want. I will say however that in terms of compatibility and all around wholeness of how the OS works, tablets can't do it at this time. I think we need to give people access to the motherboard and not hide it and that's a part of the education for hardware. Everything must fit together.

EDIT: Or if we really wanted to go that route we could design the next "IBM PS/2's".
10/01/2014 6:47 pm
FCCAGut
I'm liking the ideas. Everyone has really good explanations as to why their builds are good for this project. Size is important, being able to fit into a backpack. What if we somehow could make a computer be able to be used as a backpack and somehow make it waterproof as well.

This is why I do what I do and I like how people are putting ideas together. I've also learned things as well such as the prices for PSU's. I don't think CD/DVD drives are required. I am working on ways to make file transfers easier and we want people to be able to access their projects to USB drives for testing whether it's their own version of this or sharing projects. I just want to build something fun and what I would want if I was a kid and back then I wanted to do programming and do computer stuff but my family couldn't afford it and no one taught me but I like everyone's input on this idea and I'm glad I have supporters.

Feel free to add me on Skype with the username fccagut.
10/01/2014 8:54 pm
rstar42
As for making it fit in a backpack, my answer is in the above post which is by using the slim micro atx case. Waterproofing would be hard but the only thing I can think of is a case to put over this case the PC is already in. This would be achieved by maybe creating a plastic sleeve to put over the case. This could be both a cheap and effective way to keep out water.
10/01/2014 9:16 pm
FCCAGut
Very good........one major issue. No graphic card, this can be resolved but it is something the OS has to handle itself, experiments with such have been done at a minimal level. It is something were putting into the next release. Minor issues revolve around the motherboard in the RAM portion. Northbridge should be at least DDR3. The price unfortunately isn't right for me.
10/01/2014 9:25 pm
rstar42
Problems solved from the last Core2Duo build. I've changed the motherboard to allow for DDR3 RAM, which there is now 2x2GB of. Also added a very basic graphics card and totals in at $245. The graphics card added around $42 to the build whereas swapping for DDR3 ram actually saved around $15.

View the updated version here, http://pcpartpicker.com/user/rstar42/saved/rktLrH
10/01/2014 6:37 pm
FCCAGut
RoboShadow
FCCAGut
ProgrammedLUCWhat programs will the OS support? e.g Windows, Linux ect

Linux kernel. You can check the OS here: http://www.sourgeforge.net/projects/winspee

Based on Debian 7 Wheezy. The kernel isn't custom in this one and uses the standard Debian Linux kernel, this will change as we near the end of 2015. From there I can mold it for the hardware, but don't worry. We will support custom kernels. Winspee 4.0 is in pre-alpha but isn't for the general public.

I think your link is broken, bte.

Fixed to http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/winspee
10/01/2014 6:36 pm
53MP3RF1
As others have stated previously, these builds will be outdated by even 2015. The build I threw together is around $285, but it has a small SSD versus a HDD (if the computer is used for programming or learning to use a computer, and you have a lightweight distro, it should be plenty space for basic use), and it should do everything you have set out for it. There's also the added bonus of USB 3.0, and mITX form factor (about console-sized, able to fit inside of a backpack).

Build

CPU: Intel Pentium G3220 3.0GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.97 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ECS H81H3-I/HDMI (V1.0) Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($55.99 @ Mwave)
Memory: *A-Data XPG V1.0 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($44.99 @ TigerDirect)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $265.92
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 18:33 EDT-0400

EDIT: about HDD prices, the cost for a 1TB 7200rpm HDD nowadays is only around $55 or so. However, like I said, if the purpose of the computer is to teach children how to use a computer, you won't need much in terms of storage. Quite frankly, if you can run the OS on almost any hardware, then you should browse laptop companies and look and see if you can find any sub-$200 laptops. Those honestly would be better suited to your needs. You could also try to strike a sponsorship sort of deal with the company, where they will provide you with laptops at a VERY cheap (or no) price, with only the BIOS and no Windows installed (considering you won't be running Windows on it anyways) and put your OS on it and sell/give them away for very cheap as well. You look good, they look good, and children get to learn about computers. It's a win-win-win!
10/01/2014 6:33 pm
FCCAGut
WTFshady
57r4d
zAHerobrineAzWhat about

Click to reveal
[PCPartPicker part list](pcpartpicker.com/p/tPD623) / [Price breakdown by merchant](pcpartpicker.com/p/tPD623/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor](pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80648i75960x) | $1049.99 @ Newegg
**CPU Cooler** | [be quiet! Shadow Rock Topflow SR1 66.8 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler](pcpartpicker.com/part/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk012) | $115.60 @ Amazon
**Thermal Compound** | [Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Aluminum High-Grade 30g Thermal Paste](pcpartpicker.com/part/prolimatech-thermal-paste-propk330g) | $36.99 @ Amazon
**Motherboard** | [Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard](pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-rampagevextreme) | $505.81 @ Newegg
**Memory** | [G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory](pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f43000c15q32grk) |-
**Memory** | [G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory](pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f43000c15q32grk) |-
**Storage** | [OCZ R4 1.6TB PCI-E Solid State Drive](pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-zd4rm88fh16t) | $11479.99 @ Mac Mall
**Video Card** | [Asus GeForce GTX Titan Z 12GB Video Card](pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtxtitanz12gd5) (2-Way SLI) | $2999.99 @ Newegg
**Video Card** | [Asus GeForce GTX Titan Z 12GB Video Card](pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtxtitanz12gd5) (2-Wayrec SLI) | $2999.99 @ Newegg
**Case** | [Lian-Li PC-D8000 ATX Full Tower Case](pcpartpicker.com/part/lian-li-case-pcd8000) | $359.98 @ Newegg
**Power Supply** | [Corsair AX1500i 1500W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cp9020057na) | $439.99 @ Micro Center
**Optical Drive** | [Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer](pcpartpicker.com/part/lite-on-optical-drive-ihas22406) | $119.99 @ Amazon
**Optical Drive** | [Lite-On iHAS224-06 DVD/CD Writer](pcpartpicker.com/part/lite-on-optical-drive-ihas22406) | $119.99 @ Amazon
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)](pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-885370635003) | $129.94 @ OutletPC
**Monitor** | [NEC MD211G5 21.3" Monitor](pcpartpicker.com/part/nec-monitor-md211g5) | $12007.58 @ Newegg
**Monitor** | [NEC MD211G5 21.3" Monitor](pcpartpicker.com/part/nec-monitor-md211g5) | $12007.58 @ Newegg
**Sound Card** | [Asus Xonar Phoebus 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card](pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-sound-card-xonarphoebus) | $277.38 @ Amazon
**Wired Network Adapter** | [QLogic QLE3242-CU-CK 100 Mbps/1 Gbps/10 Gbps PCI-Express x8 Network Adapter](pcpartpicker.com/part/qlogic-wired-network-card-qle3242cuck) | $432.99 @ Newegg
**Wireless Network Adapter** | [Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter](pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-wireless-network-card-pceac68) | $96.99 @ Amazon
**Case Fan** | [Lamptron QFR1212GHE-PWM 210.4 CFM 120mm Fan](pcpartpicker.com/part/lamptron-case-fan-qfr1212ghepwm) | $39.99 @ Newegg
**Fan Controller** | [NZXT Sentry LX Fan Controller](pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-fan-controller-sen001lx) | $47.99 @ Newegg
**Keyboard** | [Panasonic CF-VKBL03AM Keyboard Wired Standard Keyboard w/Touchpad](pcpartpicker.com/part/panasonic-keyboard-cfvkbl03am) | $431.99 @ Newegg
**Mouse** | [Logitech TrackMan Wireless Trackball](pcpartpicker.com/part/logitech-mouse-9043690403) | $396.00 @ Amazon
**Headphones** | [AKG K3003i In Ear Headphones](pcpartpicker.com/part/akg-headphones-k3003i) | $1299.95 @ Adorama
**Speakers** | [Audioengine A5+ Black 100W 2ch Speakers](pcpartpicker.com/part/audioengine-speakers-a5plusblack) | $399.00 @ Amazon
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $59773.27
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 07:39 EDT-0400 |

Get out and stop being an unhelpful prick. OP, Cheesyrice is correct.

This guy has a point. As for the OP, if you really want to get the PCs now, I recommend these:

Intel APU build:

Motherboard: ASRock H81M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($64.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.45 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $269.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 12:33 EDT-0400

AMD APU build:

CPU: AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($56.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.45 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $293.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 12:34 EDT-0400

Intel discrete GPU build

Video Card: PNY GeForce GTX 650 1GB Video Card ($64.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $334.36
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 12:38 EDT-0400

AMD discrete GPU build

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($88.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($21.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $334.69

ITX is a fresh idea. Games aren't going to be supported but I will be working with some indie game developers to provide one, strictly integrated however. These games are currently being looked into. Hard drive sizes and possibly amount of RAM are a bit of unknown territory. These computers are for creatives and are really meant to inspire, we have a lot of ideas coming into 4.0 that is going to really make this possible. We want people to have enough drive space but we also want them cheap at the same time. RAM is unknown because we want things faster. We need to move things to Northbridge and how much information we need to put from the OS in the core files is what we need the RAM to be balanced with, and we can't go crazy. Software and hardware must act together, that is our biggest challenge.

As it stands, Winspee 3.0 needs only 64MB's of RAM to run and a Pentium 2 processor (for PAE). 4.0 most likely will not have that same promise processor wise but if we can make the minimum 128MB's that would be great. Realistically speaking we can use much older hardware but I don't want to go that route because we want to make modern computers, not some you could buy at Goodwill or a garage sale like previous versions were meant for and we also want to make this great. This won't be like any PC you've ever used. Even the term PC is a disgrace to what I want to do. Ultimately we want to make the case and the design as open as the OS, but not in a potentially ugly way.
10/01/2014 6:25 pm
RoboShadow
FCCAGut
ProgrammedLUCWhat programs will the OS support? e.g Windows, Linux ect

Linux kernel. You can check the OS here: http://www.sourgeforge.net/projects/winspee

Based on Debian 7 Wheezy. The kernel isn't custom in this one and uses the standard Debian Linux kernel, this will change as we near the end of 2015. From there I can mold it for the hardware, but don't worry. We will support custom kernels. Winspee 4.0 is in pre-alpha but isn't for the general public.

I think your link is broken, bte.
10/01/2014 6:24 pm
RoboShadow
This is a little over the $250, but it has a pentium, disk drive, and a small SSD as apposed to an HDD

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $272.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 18:23 EDT-0400
10/01/2014 6:17 pm
RoboShadow
Celeron and normal hdd

CPU: Intel Celeron G1820 2.7GHz Dual-Core Processor ($47.98 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital RE3 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($42.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $243.43
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 18:28 EDT-0400
10/01/2014 12:26 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
57r4d
zAHerobrineAzWhat about

Click to reveal
[PCPartPicker part list](pcpartpicker.com/p/tPD623) / [Price breakdown by merchant](pcpartpicker.com/p/tPD623/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor](pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80648i75960x) | $1049.99 @ Newegg
**CPU Cooler** | [be quiet! Shadow Rock Topflow SR1 66.8 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler](pcpartpicker.com/part/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk012) | $115.60 @ Amazon
**Thermal Compound** | [Prolimatech PK-3 Nano Aluminum High-Grade 30g Thermal Paste](pcpartpicker.com/part/prolimatech-thermal-paste-propk330g) | $36.99 @ Amazon
**Motherboard** | [Asus RAMPAGE V EXTREME EATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard](pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-rampagevextreme) | $505.81 @ Newegg
**Storage** | [OCZ R4 1.6TB PCI-E Solid State Drive](pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-internal-hard-drive-zd4rm88fh16t) | $11479.99 @ Mac Mall
**Video Card** | [Asus GeForce GTX Titan Z 12GB Video Card](pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-video-card-gtxtitanz12gd5) (2-Way SLI) | $2999.99 @ Newegg
**Case** | [Lian-Li PC-D8000 ATX Full Tower Case](pcpartpicker.com/part/lian-li-case-pcd8000) | $359.98 @ Newegg
**Power Supply** | [Corsair AX1500i 1500W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply](pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cp9020057na) | $439.99 @ Micro Center
**Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)](pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-885370635003) | $129.94 @ OutletPC
**Sound Card** | [Asus Xonar Phoebus 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card](pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-sound-card-xonarphoebus) | $277.38 @ Amazon
**Wired Network Adapter** | [QLogic QLE3242-CU-CK 100 Mbps/1 Gbps/10 Gbps PCI-Express x8 Network Adapter](pcpartpicker.com/part/qlogic-wired-network-card-qle3242cuck) | $432.99 @ Newegg
**Wireless Network Adapter** | [Asus PCE-AC68 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter](pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-wireless-network-card-pceac68) | $96.99 @ Amazon
**Case Fan** | [Lamptron QFR1212GHE-PWM 210.4 CFM 120mm Fan](pcpartpicker.com/part/lamptron-case-fan-qfr1212ghepwm) | $39.99 @ Newegg
**Fan Controller** | [NZXT Sentry LX Fan Controller](pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-fan-controller-sen001lx) | $47.99 @ Newegg
**Keyboard** | [Panasonic CF-VKBL03AM Keyboard Wired Standard Keyboard w/Touchpad](pcpartpicker.com/part/panasonic-keyboard-cfvkbl03am) | $431.99 @ Newegg
**Mouse** | [Logitech TrackMan Wireless Trackball](pcpartpicker.com/part/logitech-mouse-9043690403) | $396.00 @ Amazon
**Headphones** | [AKG K3003i In Ear Headphones](pcpartpicker.com/part/akg-headphones-k3003i) | $1299.95 @ Adorama
**Speakers** | [Audioengine A5+ Black 100W 2ch Speakers](pcpartpicker.com/part/audioengine-speakers-a5plusblack) | $399.00 @ Amazon
| | **Total**

This guy has a point. As for the OP, if you really want to get the PCs now, I recommend these:

Intel APU build:

Total: $269.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 12:33 EDT-0400

AMD APU build:

CPU: AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($56.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI Mini ITX FM2+ Motherboard ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $293.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 12:34 EDT-0400

Intel discrete GPU build

Total: $334.36

AMD discrete GPU build

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($88.29 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($21.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $334.69
10/01/2014 11:51 am
Level 1 : New Network
ProgrammedLUC
What programs will the OS support? e.g Windows, Linux ect
10/01/2014 6:18 pm
FCCAGut
Linux kernel. You can check the OS here: http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/winspee

10/01/2014 11:09 am
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
DrStrad
zAHerobrineAzWhat about

Click to reveal

Type|Item|Price
| | **Total**

10/01/2014 8:10 am
Level 36 : Artisan Taco
Rice
Op, if you make the builds now they will be extremely outdated by 2016.
10/01/2014 6:15 pm
FCCAGut
You're correct. But 2 things remain true. 1, we are using mostly a base of design. 2, Hardware doesn't go too much faster than the previous year like it used to if we had to go with these options. Pentium 4's could do the job just as well.
10/01/2014 4:58 am
rstar42
Just realised it would probably be cheaper to just swap the 4GB stick and 2GB stick for a set of 2x2GB Sticks. It'll save you $10 plus most basic things won't use more than 4GB ram. Also, Rather than designing your own case you could just add stickers with your company logo onto the case.

What about a design using the Core 2 Duo CPU? If you don't mind this I may be able to make a cheaper version!
10/01/2014 6:12 pm
FCCAGut
Go ahead. You may make somehing better than I could. Take advantage of restrictions.
10/01/2014 4:15 am
rstar42
This is my idea, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/k4j3WZ comes in at a total of $222. I found it was cheaper to buy a single 4GB stick of ram so added a seperate 2GB (Backup) RAM module. I think that the extra RAM module is unlikely to be needed because PC's generally don't have problems with RAM. I also think that you should add a cheap graphics card to handle 3D modelling tasks which beginners may want to try/learn. The extra 2GB ram could easily be swapped out for a Graphics Card without the cost changing and probably barely changing performance of the PC. I did end up adding a case even though I suggested that you make your own company case. If you need help making a company logo I am happy to help. Let me know if you need any other help!

This design doesn't include a WiFi adapter but they're pretty cheap also.
A helpful website to check out, http://kickstarter.com/ This website will be able to help you get your project off the ground.

Hope this helps!
10/01/2014 6:11 pm
FCCAGut
I really like all these ideas people are posting here. They have come very close to my own personal designs, including the WiFi adapter. I want to focus on an extra RAM stick as a lot of issues I do see in my computer repair are RAM problems. There are ways to "bypass" bad RAM. It isn't a requirement but if we can put it into the budget I would recommend it. We don't want to waste money buying replacement hardware (or even having people pay for it) when we can still make use of most faulty RAM sticks.
10/01/2014 3:58 am
rstar42
Since you're starting you're own company maybe you should make your own company branded case. I'll reply shortly with my ideas for the build. 1 suggestion, make the computer a small form factor so it is easily transported for children or whoever may use this.
10/01/2014 6:02 pm
FCCAGut
Very nice suggestion. I look forward to seeing it.
10/01/2014 3:49 am
SwiftFX
Ta da:
[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6y9sMp) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6y9sMp/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price
**CPU** | [Intel Celeron G1820 2.7GHz Dual-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646g1820) | $43.98 @ SuperBiiz
**Motherboard** | [Gigabyte GA-B85M-D2V Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-m ... -gab85md2v) | $49.79 @ Newegg
**Memory** | [G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-mem ... 6cl8d4gbxm) | $46.99 @ Newegg
**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-in ... t3250318as) | $31.49 @ Amazon
**Case** | [Xion XON-560 MicroATX Mini Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xion-case-xon560bk) | $36.98 @ Newegg
**Power Supply** | [Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-po ... ply-cx430m) | $29.99 @ Newegg
**Optical Drive** | [Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-optic ... -drw24f1st) | $14.99 @ Amazon
| | **Total**
| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $254.21
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 03:48 EDT-0400 |
10/01/2014 6:04 pm
FCCAGut
Very good. I like how you're thinking about MicroATX.
10/01/2014 3:12 am
SwiftFX
One question.....whats the budget??
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome