New Gaming PC- Any Idea What FPS I Will Get?

EsvDefcon's Avatar EsvDefcon9/18/14 12:30 pm
1 emeralds 1.6k 37
10/2/2014 1:58 am
EsvDefcon's Avatar EsvDefcon
Hi,

So, it's my birthday next Thursday, and my new PC will be arriving then. It's a custom build, meaning that there aren't really any estimated FPS calculations for it, so I was wondering if any of you guys kniow what sort of FPS I will get in Minecraft (or any other games). Anyway, here's the specs:

AMD FX-6350 Six-Core 4.2GHz CPU
AMD Radeon R7 260X GPU
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM
2TB HDD
Vibox Phoenix MIDI Gaming Case
Windows 8.1 OS
MSI 760GM-P23 MOBO

So, that's about it. I'm also getting a brand new 5.1 surround sound system shipped to go with this, but that's another story. Anyway, I'd love to hear what everyone thinks of this build, and also if anyone has any idea of how many FPS I will get, then please let me know.

P.S. I will be upgrading the GPU to at least a 280X, possibly even a 290X, in the next few months. Apart from this, I won't be making any significant changes to the system for a while (unless I decide to throw in another 8GB RAM).
EsvDefcon
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Programmer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/02/2014 1:58 am
EsvDefcon
So, I thought I'd just update this thread with what FPS I've actually been getting.

In Minecraft, I never get below 100FPS, but the average is from 120-140FPS. I've also tested out a few other games, and, for example, I've been getting around 60FPS solid in Skyrim on ultra high settings (with lots of graphical mods installed).
09/21/2014 4:56 am
EsvDefcon
Actually my budget was around £600, including the sound system I picked up for around £60. And while everyone is arguing about coming to PMC for computer building advice, I'd like to point out that I'm not I was only wondering what sort of FPS I can expect to get, since I can't really test hardware which I haven't got yet. Anyway, thanks to everyone for your feedback!

P.S. Just to answer a few questions, I have 2 sticks of 1866MHz DDR3 RAM, plus I have another 4GB of DDR3 lying around anyway. It's the same speed so they should be fine to combine, I'll take a look at this once I actually get my PC (which is in 5 days from now). Once I actually test out Minecraft on my new system, I'll post here to let everyone know what FPS I actually got.
09/20/2014 4:25 pm
Level 23 : Expert Pokemon
mrhanky49
All these little kiddies on here trying to give pc advice just makes me cringe >.>
I work in a PC Shop building and selling Computers, and the information some of you guys are giving is just ridiculous.

To be honest with you, I wouldn't recommend coming to PMC for computer advice.
The majority of people on here have no idea what they are talking about or have a very limited knowledge.

If you need help with a computer just head down to a local computer retail place and they would have no problem helping you out.
They could probably also answer alot of the questions you have.
09/20/2014 5:06 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
The funny thing is, is that I work in a computer shop. Lol, the others in the PC group, know just as much as I do.

Seems like you're talking out of your arse, and haven't been here long, because us few have done 100's on top of 100's of builds for people.
09/21/2014 6:29 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Warrior
Kahtahn
Toad just kicked butt.
09/20/2014 4:51 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
Actually, PMC is an amazing site to come to build computers. And also, I didn't know that working in a computer shop makes you smarter than anyone else in the world about computers.
Also NEVER go down to a computer retail shop for advice. They will scam you out of your money and give you false Information.

If you want an example, I went down to a computer selling shop and asked a man about how to build a computer, and what parts to put in it. He said that you can go cheap on everything but the processor and they will build the computer for $150. I went to PMC and got a build and learned how to build a computer in the same day.

Whoa I went out of context.
09/20/2014 4:48 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Randomness3333
I give advice backed-up by benchmarks from reputable reviewers. I choose the best parts for someone bases on their needs and budget just like the rest of the PMC PC group. Do the people at a tech shop base their recommendation off dozens of benchmarks and product reviews? Probably not. In fact, some of us work in tech shops so according to you we are the perfect people to ask.
09/20/2014 4:33 pm
Level 29 : Expert Engineer
DrStrad
Everyone in the PC group here knows more about building computers than you or any people at the local retail stores. My advice would be to only listen to people in the PMC PC group.
09/20/2014 4:29 pm
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
10Andrew
LOLS YOU GED LIKE, LOTZ OF FPS DUDEEEE!!!!!!

Yeah Mr. Hanky is sort of right. However people here do know what they are talking about and just because some do not have everything exactly right does not mean that everything people have said here should be thrown out of the window!

Besides, don't the people who work their do it because they are PAID. Of course they will say that it is a great build if they are being paid to sell them.

Ever heard Notch (mincrosoft now) say "Oh look at minecraft! Terrible graphics! Buy NOW!" nah he sticks to the positives
09/20/2014 2:24 pm
Level 49 : Master Modder
minecraftjames222
Make sure that you have 2 ram sticks for your 8 gb ram. Btw, make sure you get an 80+ bronze psu.
09/20/2014 2:50 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
If he's on a low budget, 1 stick of RAM would be fine. Same applies for the PSU, but in a low-mid-end budget, a 80+ Bronze is fine. Get 80+ Gold or so if you have more money to spend.
09/20/2014 1:13 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Meme
VeryMadCrafter
Well, actually, if you really wanna know, some guy on PMC said that in a similar thread. Is it really my fault he said that?? And do you really need to argue over about a small mistake I made? Geez, it`s not that big deal.
09/20/2014 2:20 pm
Killertoad
You were the one to argue? Lol, if you would of just said "sorry I was wrong" instead of "disagreements, when will there be peace on this site" then I'm sure no one would say anything.
09/20/2014 10:05 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
There is a difference between 30FPS and 60FPS (small, but it is there).

@OP what's your budget? You can get something better for the price.
09/20/2014 9:49 am
EsvDefcon
I have to agree with everyone that you can quite clearly detect the difference between FPS rates over 40FPS. When you're playing at 60FPS, and it drops down to 40FPS, you can see a huge difference. Aside from that, I have a 240Hz monitor, so it'll work fine with my new system.
09/19/2014 11:55 am
VeryMadCrafter
A human eye can detect around only 40 fps.
A normal monitor can`t display more than 60 fps.
So, as long as your computer passes 40+ fps, you`re great. There is no visual difference between 60 and 6000 fps.
09/19/2014 7:45 pm
Level 23 : Expert Artist
furf
Where did you acquire this information? Seriously, since I am a human, with human eyes, I think I can see the difference between 40FPS and 60+FPS. I'm going to go out on a whim here and say you just "assumed" everything about the human eye, it's structur, and how it operates.
09/19/2014 9:07 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
You messed up on the quotes a bit
09/19/2014 7:22 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
illuminati128k
A human eye yeah can only "detect" 40fps. Meaning your brain can process 40 images a second. If an image is below 40fps, it will look fake. If a moving image is above 40fps, it will feel more lifelike. I can see a very clear difference between 40 and 60. 60 and 120 is not that big though.

120hz monitors sometimes have less motion blur than 60hz because LCDs are pretty bad with motion and you need to increase the frame rate.
09/19/2014 7:30 pm
Find Them Creepers
No, it can detect way more than 120. It's been researched that "trained eyes" like fighter pilots, etc., can see pictures from up to something like a 500th of a second.

Also, this:
Eh, video was kind of crappy.
09/19/2014 12:26 pm
DrStrad
You're wrong. Where did you get this information? I and many others can clearly detect the difference between 40,60,75,100 FPS reliably. All you need is a monitor that can display it.
09/19/2014 12:41 pm
VeryMadCrafter
Disagreements, disagreements, when there will be peace on this site.
09/19/2014 6:53 pm
Killertoad
There will be peace when people don't spread false information.
09/19/2014 12:44 pm
DrStrad
I'm disagreeing with you because that's false information. If it was an opinion, I would let it be.
09/19/2014 12:04 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Network
Charlizard
http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html
http://www.gfycat.com/PitifulImpishCowrie
http://30vs60.com/

I haven't played Minecraft in a while so I could be mistaken, but I've heard some people saying that Minecraft now relies on the GPU moreso than the RAM - unlike it used to. Regardless which one it now relies on, you should be fine. You have a nice amount of RAM and your GPU is pretty good.
You can't really have any idea exactly what FPS you'll get as different situations can cause FPS drops/rises. For example: being on a flatland world stood still will get you significantly more FPS than flying through a world, generating terrain, whilst causing a lot of particle effects to go off.

Regarding the person I quoted, too: There is no visual difference between 60fps and 6000fps if you assume he has a 60Hz monitor. 60Hz is the average so I assume he will have that. Of course, the difference as fps increases becomes less and less noticeable but, contrary to what you said, there is definitely a noticeable difference between 40fps and 60fps, and what you said about the human eye 'detecting 40fps' is a lie.
09/19/2014 11:38 am
DrStrad
I mean what brand of PSU? I want to make sure one of the most important parts of your PC isn't in danger of failing.

Concerning the case, how do you know it's durable? The reviews I've seen say it's of shobby build quality and from the measurements, you couldn't fit a reasonably sized radiator anywhere to allow for watercooling and despite what you say, it doesn't look like there's adequate room for airflow. Beside looking almost exclusively made of plastic with some gimmicky features that won't give proper temperature readings and "Vibox" being printed everywhere, I don't know why this case costs so much. It would've been a much better option to get a Corsair or NZXT case, like the 300R or Phantom 410.
09/19/2014 11:32 am
EsvDefcon
Bump
09/18/2014 6:57 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
gerg23
Add my skype thomastech3 for computer support and advise. Thanks
09/18/2014 7:29 pm
Find Them Creepers
What is it with all your posts asking people for their Skype accounts?
09/18/2014 6:48 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Artist
camerdude
Well it depends, if you get gun mods for minecraft, you could get an FPS feel, but otherwise i would stick to call of duty or MW3 those are my favorite first person shooters
09/18/2014 6:53 pm
DrStrad
When he says FPS, he means frames per second. Not First person shooter.
09/18/2014 5:05 pm
DrStrad
I would've gone with a 6300, since the price increase is just from the increased clock speed. What are you using to overclock? You won't be able to do it without an aftermarket CPU cooler. As far as the case goes, it looks... interesting. By that I mean it's probably not made very well. Also, what power supply did you get?
09/19/2014 2:04 am
EsvDefcon
I was going to buy the 6300, but I actually found the 6350 for cheaper, so I picked that up instead. As for overclocking, I'll likely (at least initially) only be working on the GPU, so I'll be using either AMD Overdrive, or MSI Afterburner. The case is actually an extremely durable, and well ventilated case. I thought that it was just for the looks when I first saw it, but there are 2 120mm fans pre-installed (and I'll be adding another 2 when I can), and there is more than enough space for water cooling, if I ever wanted to go down that path. It has many mesh area to improve ventilation, And, if I didn't want to water cool it, there is enough space for a further 2 fans on the roof of the case. So, the case can hold either 4 120mm fans, and a liquid cooling system, or 6 120mm fans. It also has an LCD screen to tell you the current temperature, power time, time, fans speeds, etc. Finally, I only went with a 500w PsU. It is more than enough (from using PSU calculators) for this build, and it will allow some room for overclocking.
09/18/2014 1:19 pm
Level 23 : Expert Pokemon
mrhanky49
There is a HUUUGGGE gaming center near where I live and there pc's get around 500FPS in Minecraft and around 200+FPS in any other games on max settings.

The reason I brought them up is because there computer specs are nearly the same as yours.

They have nearly the same specs but all of there PC's are Overklocked so they will obviously be faster.

You should be able to get 60+ FPS while running shaders In minecraft.
Without shaders you should get anywhere's from 150-250 FPS

Btw, I LOVE that case. Its actually the exact same case I was looking at getting for my new PC.
09/20/2014 5:05 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
I think it's pretty much impossible to get that much FPS in ANY game with that build, considering some peoples builds are twice as strong as that, and are lucky to get 120 FPS in graphical-intense games.

And @OP, you should get good FPS in games.
And I dont like to disagree with posts on PC threads, but when they have false information.
And this is the first post, I'm so late
09/18/2014 4:30 pm
Level 42 : Master Fox
LuxLacis
What he said ^^
09/18/2014 4:23 pm
EsvDefcon
Ah, nice, thanks for letting me know! The good news is that I will be overclocking some of the components when I get them anyway, so hopefully I should be able to see a nice increase in performance. And I know, I love the case! I'm really looking forward to seeing how it looks.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome