Noob/Beginner/Pro at creating servers? Read this!

DeprecatedLuke's Avatar DeprecatedLuke7/5/15 1:11 pm
7/7/2015 6:15 am
DeprecatedLuke's Avatar DeprecatedLuke
When I read forums for a big, most of them were about servers ideas and some straight up pat**** threads, what I just wanted to reply "Are you honestly think that you will be successful? Because I'm 110% sure you will fail.".

Why do I even bother writing this post:
- Because I hope, some people will realize how server needs to be ran, and will clear up the forums with as said above threads.

Lets start shall we?

Table of contents:

1: Server types.
2: Do you really want to make a server?
3: Asking for staff, are you crazy?
4: High top player count doesn't mean your server is popular!
5: It's all about the work.
6: Adverts Adverts Adverts.
7: Don't have a lot of money?
8: FaNcY MeSSaGessS
9: I HAVE 60+ PLUGINS! CUSTOM CODED PLUGIN TOO!
10: Conclusion

Server types

There are 3 types of servers:
Private - In this case, you should ignore this post.
For your own entertainment - In this case, you should read about adverts.
Trying to make a successful server - In this case, you guessed it... You need to read the whole post

Do you really want to make a server?

This is the real question you have to answer, do you really want to make a server... Because if you want to make a good, nice, successful server, you need to build up a TEAM, and not just a team of "HIRE ME PRO AT SERVER MANAGEMENT FREE", you should look for something like: "Bukkit developer, for hire." "FREE" is not going to get you anywhere, the avg. budget needs to be: 80$-600$ minimum.

Asking for staff

Asking for staff, really? if I see something like "SERVER SERVER // LOOKING FOR STAFF" I already know that the server is awful and I won't join it, Yes it might give you more players, but not for long, I will talk about that in next topic.

High player count doesn't mean your server is popular

Having top player count @ 20-30 players doesn't mean anything, I can simply post some threads and spam my server and get 40 players with Ez, but the thing that really matters is the avg player count, having 4 active players is far more better than having 20 for 1 hour.

Its all about work.

If you won't put a lot of work into your server it will fail instantly, standing at 0 player count and waisting your money, you you want to start a server, you need a team, a big budget, a lot of free time, a good development/server management team, which takes a lot of time, work and money.

Adverts Adverts Adverts

Having your server advert title like this: "[OP] >> AMAZING SERVER JOIN NOW >> [PRISON] [60 PLUGINS]" wont help, just pull your server down, and bumping the thread wont help ether, have your staff team or your players to post feedback post "This server is amazing :p", or get instead of "bump bump bump bump bump bump bump", spending 500$ on advert sites wont help if your server is awful, noone will ever join, no matter how much money you spend, well if you spend 1,000,000 then sure, but it will die when you run out of money, noone is going to donate to an awful server.

Don't have a lot of money?

Don't go for a big server, start basic. A non-professional server.

FaNCyEh MeSSagEs

Keep is simple and clean, instead of having "[WORLD-01] <<[OWNER]>> CoolGuyMCTheLongNickName >--~ Hi" have "Owner | Nick Hellow"

I HAVE 60+ PLUGINS! CUSTOM CODED PLUGIN TOO!

When I see a server having 40+ plugins, I just leave, because most of the plugins are awful, yet again I used word awful, or a plugin dev decided to tried out to make every feature seperated.

All you need is 1 plugin, that's all.. Maybe worldedit, worldguard, vault, Economy plugin and Permissions plugin. Because the main aspect is the uniqueness and "Do I want to repeat the same thing again" instead "omg, this is new, I should try it out!"

Conclusion

Me, as a plugin developer, that has learn from his mistakes and created pryariah IP: pryariah.net website: pryariah.com yes, the server sucks at the moment and it was in development for 2 months why? because the panning, creating your plugins, getting a team, building things and not downloading them of PMC, creating your own API, takes a lot of time, we have released the BETA version, which has the background stuff done, but the front end work has just began and only now, the server is becoming form "This server sucks" to "This server is amazing!"

Please share this post, thanks.

Written by: Daniel, Developer of Pryariah Network.
DeprecatedLuke
Level 7 : Apprentice Dragonborn