Opinions on 1.9 Combat?

Jnaejnae's Avatar Jnaejnae2/23/17 7:05 am
2/27/2017 2:48 pm
avrona's Avatar avrona
It's been a while since the combat update, and I want to know how people think about it after its all settled down and we have had time to get used to it. I don't play much PVP myself, so I want to hear your opinions. Are shields and weapon cooldowns fun, fair, and or skillful? Are there any changes you would still like to see as to how combat works?
Jnaejnae
Level 38 : Artisan Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/27/2017 10:59 am
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
I actually quite enjoy 1.9 combat as it gives your strikes meaning and strategy. The cooldown gives you time for defense and restoring your health. The spam-click before is what made me hate Minecraft combat before, so to see it being booted to the curb is quite satisfying for me.
02/27/2017 10:29 am
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
I like it, but I think it should be an option when using a world. Like /gamerule type thing.
02/27/2017 11:30 am
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
NewSuperMario
Well, atleast there's an option to disable player collision iirc
02/27/2017 2:32 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
I'm not sure where that option is located, but I've seen it done so it's possible.
02/27/2017 2:48 pm
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
You can make team members non-collidable with a /team option command.
02/27/2017 7:33 am
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
I love 1.9 combat. It fixed everything wrong with combat, unfortunately not many servers are making the switch for some reason.
02/27/2017 10:55 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
There are a few reasons. I don't agree with them, but they do have reasons.
02/27/2017 5:56 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Crafter
minecraftnerd220
Prince Oceanus
HyperOmega1.9 pvp mostly ruined the pvp combat 1.11 made it even worser with 100% damage buff 1.8 pvp i all about hitting making combo's 1.9 is superslow and for noobs
Why do you think most of the pvp servers are 1.8?

100% Damage buff on what? Swords, Axes, Bows? I haven't seen any of this on the new versions of MC. Also, no, the old PvP stuff was literally just spam-clicking in the attempt to get a hit on someone.The new PvP system requires more skill now rather than just hitting someone 4 times with a diamond sword and then saying you're good at PvP. It's not even that slow. You wait .5 seconds to swing a sword again, is that really that hard? Axes do more damage so obviously they'll be slow and not an optimal choice, but it's all about preference.
The %100 damage buff is on vindacators and vexes

PvP servers are 1.8 not because of the new updates, it's that the owners are lazy and haven't bothered with updating.
02/27/2017 5:53 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Crafter
minecraftnerd220
I love the 1.9 combat and the shelds are awesome.
02/23/2017 3:37 pm
Leeberator
Prince Oceanus
Also, 1.8 plugins don't work in 1.9, so I'm not sure how they have that set up.

That's simply not true. If they stick to using the Spigot/Bukkit API, plugins are almost completely version-independent. The only thing that would break them would be a change to the API, which happens less often than you'd think. As an example, the plugin Wormhole X-Treme runs fine on a Bukkit server despite not being updated since early 2015.
02/23/2017 2:03 pm
Leeberator
Before the Combat Update, Minecraft combat was the laughing stock of the gaming community. Sure, it required some skill to master, but it lacked depth. For a long while, though, its simplistic style was all that was necessary. Its original intent was to let players fight monsters, which doesn't require sophistication or a learning curve.

1.9 added additional layers of complexity and steepened the learning curve in order to adjust to the more PvP-centric state of combat. This made it geared towards competitive play, as opposed to the simplistic PvE-focused style of the old mechanics. Overall, it was a welcome change to a fighting system that was falling behind the times. It's a system that demands respect, and darn well deserves it.
02/23/2017 9:18 am
Level 47 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrfis
the new comabt updates are fun, added lots of new stuff for modders to play with such as the AOE sweep etc, it gives the game more intensive and makes the players rely on new skills and abilities in order to win, not just mindless clicking (and the aoe sweep makes using mob farms 100 time easier, clear that buildup in 1 click and get all the exp)

shields are actually pretty useful, time it right and skeletons cant touch you, although mojang did miss out on a golden opportunity to dual wield swords
02/23/2017 7:46 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc2311599
[deleted]
02/23/2017 8:59 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Prince
Prince Oceanus
100% Damage buff on what? Swords, Axes, Bows? I haven't seen any of this on the new versions of MC. Also, no, the old PvP stuff was literally just spam-clicking in the attempt to get a hit on someone.The new PvP system requires more skill now rather than just hitting someone 4 times with a diamond sword and then saying you're good at PvP. It's not even that slow. You wait .5 seconds to swing a sword again, is that really that hard? Axes do more damage so obviously they'll be slow and not an optimal choice, but it's all about preference.

PvP servers are 1.8 not because of the new updates, it's that the owners are lazy and haven't bothered with updating.
02/23/2017 1:31 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc2311599
[deleted]
02/23/2017 2:29 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Prince
Prince Oceanus
Oh, believe me, I've played plenty of Walls to know how melee combat works in the old PvP. I'm not really into PvP'ing, so I've never done any factions, because it's literally the same thing on every factions server: donate and get OP stuff, #rekt the non-OP people, and steal all of their stuff that you don't really need. Also, 1.8 plugins don't work in 1.9, so I'm not sure how they have that set up.

MCmmo doesn't have anything to do with the 1.9 vanilla combat system, it merely modifies it so you get bonuses to doing different things, and if you're so mad about the way it modifies axes (which still have their attack cooldown even with MCmmo in, FYI), then don't play on servers that have that plugin.
02/23/2017 7:14 am
Level 70 : Legendary Wolf
WolfieTundra
I personally Liked the 1.9 udate, it gave the PvP that "touch" it needed, before it was just spam,spam and spam the mouse, but now we've got to time more and we even got the choise for weapons that are good in their way. Example Now the axe Makes mor damage than a sword, and it can even disable shields, but unlike at swords, they have a slow cooldown, and they can't atack several enemies at once.

Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome