Original Superheroes and Villains Contest Discussion Thread!

Happybandaid's Avatar Happybandaid3/15/12 4:52 pm
1 emeralds 2.6k 165
5/1/2012 1:51 pm
the_soup's Avatar the_soup
Heya guys, discuss the current contest, entries, beautiful sexy judges, etc. here! ;) And let's not forget about Cyprezz, our biggest hero! :D (You can't use him in the contest, though ;D)

More info to come? Feel free to ask any questions you have about the contest.
Happybandaid
Retired Moderator
Level 44 : Master Scribe

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/01/2012 1:51 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Button Pusher
the_soup
*waits excitedly*
04/30/2012 4:07 pm
Level 44 : Master Sweetheart
Dinodaw
Is it going to be another skin contest?
04/30/2012 4:37 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Taco
FoxOfDoom
Next contest poll is tomorrow, sooo...
04/30/2012 5:40 am
Happybandaid
Tank you, wolfie~

^-^
04/27/2012 5:54 am
Happybandaid
May 1st, next contest poll, bros. Spread the word.
04/30/2012 9:01 am
Level 29 : Expert Blockhead
Blockorz
So tomorrow is voting time again?
04/30/2012 3:25 pm
Level 44 : Master Artist
Niko
Correct, Blockorz!
04/30/2012 4:01 pm
Blockorz
To say it in the words of an engineer: Yippie-da-yee-hoo!
04/27/2012 5:58 am
Level 32 : Artisan Taco
FoxOfDoom
I've sent the message to the ones of people on my friends list!~ Consider the word spread c:
04/26/2012 7:52 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Pixel Puncher
Creeper Hugs U
Woo! 24th! Second contest and both of them i have been in the top 100 im proud.
Oh and Congrats to everyone!
04/26/2012 7:23 am
Level 44 : Master Artist
Niko
35th, haha

I hope Happy-B will make the theme poll, in the next few days ..So we can start with the contest, early in May ;D
04/25/2012 7:01 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Skinner
Drumman92
54th, glad
Ideas for next contests:
-Landscapes
-Pokémon
-Star Wars
-Crazy Summer
-Symbols
04/24/2012 4:12 pm
Level 29 : Expert Network
Oni__
Didn't get into themtop 100... Sooo I ENTERED YES! (I'll do better next time. Now I need a building contest again.... I crave it....)
04/23/2012 5:51 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
ginga_ninja99
99th! oh yes lol
04/23/2012 2:39 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Pixel Painter
yksnoy
i would like to see sci-fi, renaissance, prehistorical animals or movie characters
04/23/2012 1:55 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
nobbie
Wait, what? My first skin contest entry ever made it to the top 20?

Anyways, congratulations to the winners and, again, to all of the finalists!

And suggestions for the next competition from the top of my head:
- Celebrities (could be tough)
- Significant people in history
- Human-like animals
- Human-like plants
- Video game NPC's (characters that are not significant and always overlooked)
- Mascots for corporations, sports teams etc. (made-up or existing. I'd go for original ones ^_^)
04/23/2012 12:35 pm
Level 41 : Master Taco
Gargoyle
18th Place? WOOT!
04/23/2012 10:17 am
Level 86 : Elite Meme
Leostereo
5th place, I'll do better next time.
04/22/2012 7:41 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Narwhal
imlr
Congratulations to everyone, especially spacemonkiee for his "The Locust" submission!

I'm quite surprised my character got 21st, just inching at the top 20 mark! Thanks to the judges for giving my skin some consideration. I think I'll be making a special blog post later about my skin. It won't be a "Thanks!" post, but an actual special blog. c:

My suggestion for the next theme would be something related to the military. Whether a general or a tank, I want to see what people can do on a skin with a very detailed subject. c:
04/22/2012 7:25 pm
the_soup
Congratulations, everyone! I'm still a bit in shock that Sir Obscure got graded so highly!
And, yeah, I agree with Diamond, a historical-type theme would be awesome
04/22/2012 6:58 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Artist
Diam0ndSpad3
Well done Spacemonkiee, good job to other the winners too!
My suggestion for the next comp is historical figures. could be ancient Roman to 1900s. You'd obviously get some people all doing king tut, caesar and cleopatra but there are literally thousands of famous figures that could show a lot of variety in designs.
04/22/2012 6:25 pm
Happybandaid
Oh, look at that.

http://www.planetminecraft.com/contests ... aderboard/

Alsoo, I can't really say "judge-sucking-up" is a thing. I've never been solicited to vote for skins or anything of the like, and even if I was it would have zero effect on me. Same goes for the other judges! ^-^

Additionally, if you guys have any NEW theme suggestions for the next contest post them here and they just might get in!
04/23/2012 12:36 pm
Level 48 : Master Artist
SecretBuddha
I have a few contest ideas:

Pokemon
Stereotypes
All things Space!
Made up "bogeyman" type things

p.s. Tenth place! :O
I'm really proud
04/22/2012 5:45 am
imlr
Of course, my question was more of a remark.

That's the general of selecting a judge: critical, unbiased, and most of all, professional (or good in that certain skill for this case). People always try, there is never a case where people haven't put in effort.
04/22/2012 5:24 am
Level 45 : Master Batman
DrThresh
It'll be done when it's done.

As for why Judges are chosen, one would think they are non biased and fairly critical when it comes to determining quality work. Just because they are most likely not able to be swayed, doesn't mean people aren't going to try
04/22/2012 4:44 am
imlr
Or calculating their grading chart, who knows?

It is nice knowing that the results are near, though! However, it's been like this for the past few hours! When is Judge #3 going to be done? :T
04/22/2012 4:39 am
nobbie
Only 2 skins left to judge? Holy crap, this competition is actually ending at some point :O
04/22/2012 4:24 am
imlr
Well, it depends on a certain group in the community: those who are interested in skins. So, it'd be about a couple thousands at most if we were talking about the amount of active people because we all know not all 350,000 members are here often. c:

While community vote is important, it only highlights those few submissions. We have always had 100 finalists in our skin contests, and that is why community votes aren't too influential to the choosing of finalists.

Judges are chosen because they normally have sharper senses than the general crowd, so pleasing them might be harder in reality.

I wonder when the 98% from Judge #3 will pass and the contest will finally be over. :T
04/22/2012 3:50 am
DrThresh
HappybandaidIt's Hardbandaid time! Face the FACTS! D:< yeeaahh!!!

Can some people just own up to the fact that if their skin didn't make it, maybe they need to get better at skinning?

Anyways, what some of you guys have said is false - it is primarily the judge vote that gets your skin to the top 100. 2-4 skins at most get in on community score alone. All this I've said before. :B

There are many great skins from new skinners that have gotten in the top 100 without getting much publicity at all.

Well, guess the cake IS a lie then!

Happybandaid
The Judges have keen eyes, and our diamonds count for much more than any normal diamond. This is called a Judgevote. :]

So worry not, a better skin with a couple Judgevotes but not many diamonds can easily beat out a mediocre one with a lot of regular community diamonds.

Generally, only a couple skins that haven't been voted on by Judges get into the top 100, on their own community diamond power alone. Comments and downloads also slightly factor into this.

Also, there is no way to tell if a Judge has given a diamond to a contest skin or not, but usually they comment if they really like a skin (although this does not necessarily mean they voted for it, in some cases!).

Though given this, it means that, although community 'diamond vote' is still counted, judges that diamond vote (worth more than regular diamond vote) an entry prior to finalist judging will also grant them a chance to be in the top 100.

Unless there's some bizarre mystery vote that no one else in the community has, this really only means a lot of people will be trying to suck up to the judges.

Always felt the community vote was what pushed them up there, because it's harder to suck up to nearly 350k members, than 9 judges. lol
04/19/2012 10:53 pm
imlr
Well, those are the natural guidelines of being a judge of a competition where submissions are graded anyways. haha.

I think its more of the acknowledgements or recognition people desire rather than creating a skin, and this is something most don't realize themselves either. I see it as: creating a satisfactory skin, failing to reach the requirements, seeking attention (intentional or not) by being mad! The End.
04/19/2012 10:31 pm
imlr
Oh, y'know...some people don't like or know the word, "Self-Development" or the phrase "I like this, but I can do better".

It's a bit obvious judges are the heavier factor when there is normally a comment from Happybandaid on every Top 100 skin submission too.
04/19/2012 10:36 pm
Happybandaid
I ALWAYS comment on the skins I love. :]

A little insight into the judging process of Happybandaid:

HappybandaidHow I judge:
Basically, visual style and colors are what stand out the most - when you're going through hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of skin previews, you pretty much have to go on that. If a skin piques my interest, whether because I see possibly interesting, creative, and skillfully pulled-off techniques, or the visual style is very appealing and shows knowledge and experience with use of color and design, or it's just a very solid and well-put-together skin that stands out from the rest in some way, then I check it out further. If I even get the littlest hint that something cool and interesting might be going on with a skin, I click on it just to check it out and make sure.

When you've looked at literally THOUSANDS of skins like me, you get to have a good feel of the "good" and the "bad." As an artist I definitely recognize there are many unique and different art styles and I appreciate the skill and effort put in to all kinds. I can tell if a skin is amateur or not...and the ones that are not really stand out.

Well, Bandaid out. Good luck with the skinning you guys - don't get discouraged. It just takes a little dedication and passion for the art, but the rewards - they're what you create! Nothing better than having done a good job at something. :]

- HBand
04/19/2012 10:24 pm
Happybandaid
It's Hardbandaid time! Face the FACTS! D:< yeeaahh!!!

Can some people just own up to the fact that if their skin didn't make it, maybe they need to get better at skinning? :D

Anyways, what some of you guys have said is false - it is primarily the judge vote that gets your skin to the top 100. 2-4 skins at most get in on community score alone. All this I've said before. :B

There are many great skins from new skinners that have gotten in the top 100 without getting much publicity at all.

How I judge:
Basically, visual style and colors are what stand out the most - when you're going through hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of skin previews, you pretty much have to go on that. If a skin piques my interest, whether because I see possibly interesting, creative, and skillfully pulled-off techniques, or the visual style is very appealing and shows knowledge and experience with use of color and design, or it's just a very solid and well-put-together skin that stands out from the rest in some way, then I check it out further. If I even get the littlest hint that something cool and interesting might be going on with a skin, I click on it just to check it out and make sure.

When you've looked at literally THOUSANDS of skins like me, you get to have a good feel of the "good" and the "bad." As an artist I definitely recognize there are many unique and different art styles and I appreciate the skill and effort put in to all kinds. I can tell if a skin is amateur or not...and the ones that are not really stand out.

Well, Bandaid out. Good luck with the skinning you guys - don't get discouraged. ;) It just takes a little dedication and passion for the art, but the rewards - they're what you create! Nothing better than having done a good job at something. :]

- HBand
04/19/2012 6:38 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
ginga_ninja99
Y no judges judge! Well I think in two more days it will surpass how long it took for the mythological contest
04/19/2012 1:05 pm
imlr
Art is subjective, after all. Heh, three lectures, one including mine. That's what you get for complaining in a contest: lectures!

After the submission period ended, I never once thought of getting into the Top 100. I don't really advertise either. So, it came as a pleasant surprise to me when the list was released and my skin was there.
04/19/2012 10:54 am
Blockorz
Yes! Made ist into the Top 100 :3
Come on judges,Hurry!
04/19/2012 9:48 am
the_soup
To get into the top 100 requires some effort outside of putting in a submission and hoping people will see it. In contest times, the number of skins submitted, whether contest or not, is doubled. That's where shameless self promotion comes in. All one needs to do is drop into the chat for a bit, put their entry in and get people to view it. Don't over do it as it'll result in kick from advertising spam.

Ha, literally my first thought after the submission period ended was "Finally, I can stop w--ring out my contest skin on chat!" So, yes, advertising is very important.
04/18/2012 8:53 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Skinner
ChezMazter
It seems that something is going on here that lot's of people don't know, there were many great skins in the pages 20 and higher, but most of the top 100 were from pages 1-20. And a majority of those skins in the top 100 are crap compared to some of the skins I saw before the top 100 were announced. My friend went all "WTF!!!???" when he saw my skin compared to most of the top 100.
And I shun you judges who are at 0%. SHUUUNNN!
04/19/2012 8:56 am
DrThresh
To get into the top 100 requires some effort outside of putting in a submission and hoping people will see it. In contest times, the number of skins submitted, whether contest or not, is doubled. That's where shameless self promotion comes in. All one needs to do is drop into the chat for a bit, put their entry in and get people to view it. Don't over do it as it'll result in kick from advertising spam.

For most, it really is a popularity contest, so getting those first wins early can get you the chance into the popular reels for both the skin section and the front page (having both is super effective ^_^). While it is true that the skinners with more subscribers often get that fairly quickly, it by no means discounts those with low subscribers from getting up there as well. Besides, with popular skins, you'll be well on your way to having a great many following as some of the top skinners here.

In a sea of skins, that literally appear every minute of the day, one needs that extra bit of effort to make their skin visible above the endless sea of mediocrity.
04/18/2012 10:51 pm
the_soup
Judge's votes only account for a part of who got into the finalists--the main part, though, was popularity of a skin. Skins that were released earlier had a longer time to accumulate diamonds and favorites. Generally it's best to release your skin early, which will give you time to gather popularity and get feedback on your skin (you can update the skin throughout the contest).
04/18/2012 9:44 pm
imlr
It all depends on how well a contender's creation is executed as stated in their requirements. Execution, I assume, probably meant something that was eye-catching and well-thought out in the process; this also contributes to the Hero or Villain look. If you have a disheveled war hero, then it's not all that interesting to look into.

btw, you probably shouldn't compare your skin to other's, it's quite insulting to the creators of which skins you dislike. Hopefully you don't think badly of my skin. c:

Otherwise, sorry that you could not make the top 100. Maybe next time; there are always plenty of contests to be announced in the future.

The judges have been missing for a while, so you can't shun those who aren't here at the moment. c:
04/26/2012 7:49 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Skinner
ChezMazter
I think I realize what was wrong, people don't seem to like the lighting/darkening tool some people use, it makes it look like crap compared to the new tool I found in my skin editor.
04/27/2012 1:08 am
DrThresh
Often it's not what you use, but how you use it. Granted a number of the skins that use noise heavily as a means of detailing will end up being marked down. It's just a matter of practicing to make things look the way you want it to look.
04/16/2012 5:02 pm
Level 41 : Master Taco
Gargoyle
Judges #7 #8 #9 Aren't, Well, Judging lol
04/16/2012 5:00 pm
Level 48 : Master Artist
SecretBuddha
Come on judges :')
04/15/2012 12:29 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Cake
Geppetto
Well.... my third skin ever is in the top 100 of my first contest ever
But, I also think the last judges should be a bit faster, I'd really like to know who's the glorious winner (of course not me )
04/15/2012 7:50 am
nobbie
A big thank you to Happybandaid for letting us know what's going on with the contest.

I'd rather go one month without a new contest to properly finish the last one and to figure out how to better organize future events.
04/15/2012 7:41 am
DrThresh
Happybandaid
DrThresh
Happybandaid
It was probably removed by the author himself or by one of the judges who has the power to DQ skins in the finals for being rulebreaking (I and a couple others have that power).

Just wondering if any of the other entrants might want to take the place of that one that was taken off. I'm certain there are a few that would want to take that spot.

It would be automatically updated with the next in line.

Still says 99.

On other news, might be best to get a fresh batch of (hopefully active) judges for the next one, whenever that is lol
04/15/2012 3:13 am
imlr
Sounds reasonable, it is already well into April anyways. haha.
04/15/2012 3:07 am
Happybandaid
Don't quote me on this (great errbody's gonna quote me on this now) but I think we might be taking a break from contests for April so we can get some behind-the-scenes stuff figured out.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome