MC overheating Macbook?

8bitdee's Avatar 8bitdee9/23/16 5:18 pm
1 emeralds 22.8k 14
9/27/2016 9:33 am
JozyP's Avatar JozyP
Hi,

I just recently got a new Macbook air as a present for college. I don't really play video games on PC, but I love Minecraft so I figure it'd be a good game to play on my Mac since it seems like it doesn't take much power to run.

I used to have an old Dell laptop, running Windows, and it would run fine. However, running it on my Mac it seems to get hot real easy.

I lowered the graphics and video settings to the possible lowest, but even then, after about only five minutes of game time, I can feel a certain part of the keyboard start to get really hot. A couple more minutes and if I put my fingers the top of the plastic and it's incredibly hot. I turn it off right away because I fear my brand new Mac getting damaged right away.

My question is, does MC really take that much power to run on a Macbook air to the point that it starts heating up significantly? And I do mean significantly. I could probably burn my finger lightly if I were to put it on top of the plastic for a few minutes.

Or, is it not suppose to do that, and it's a problem with the Mac itself that I should get checked out?

Thank you.
8bitdee
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/25/2016 6:44 am
Level 71 : Legendary Unicorn
McHorse
I did some observations, and the problem why minecraft heats up the computer is because of intense usage of CPU. If you'll try playing in window (instead of full screen), then the computer heats up less than in full screen.

Also, on startup, minecraft uses too much CPU during the startup, so every time you launch minecraft, let it load all resources, and then put it in sleep mode until it chill down. It will increase your time of playing without heating your Macbook Air (at least it works for me).
09/24/2016 7:06 pm
Level 44 : Master Sweetheart
Calendar Man
I play Minecraft on a Mac, and the way i avoid it is by putting one of those plastic board things under the computer. And as long as you don't play it for 5+ hours straight, it's all good.
09/24/2016 6:14 pm
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
Because of Macs poor running power, thin design, no fan, and trashy touchpad, I would recommend selling it (Since people love paying large amounts of money for things that look fancy) and buying a Windows 10, considering that they are as good as what that MacBook will be like in 2020.
09/24/2016 7:07 pm
Level 44 : Master Sweetheart
Calendar Man
Look again, my dear friend. MacBooks do indeed have fans.
09/27/2016 9:33 am
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
Oh, well okay.
09/24/2016 6:51 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
OP is wondering why the Macbook overheating. Not asking what laptop to buy. Anyways. Macs have good power for college, playing minecraft, etc. As Lee said. The Macbook Air should have a cpu fan and I think it does. The Macbook air is aluminum and aluminum heats up. There's really nothing to worry about.
09/24/2016 5:07 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1389843
[deleted]
09/24/2016 4:50 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
MacBooks essentially use the aluminum body as a supplemental heatsink, so it is bound to get hot when gaming. Fortunately, modern CPUs are very unlikely to die from overheating - if they get too hot, they'll throttle down to a low performance state until they cool down.

Pi Time ProductionsNew MacBook Air laptops come with a standard intel i5 that should come with a fan. But the Macbook Air is thin and doesn't have a fan, so you won't be able to use it to its full potential for any longer than 10 minutes before it automatically slows itself down due to heat. Generally, you'll get lag when that happens.

I could've sworn the Air came with a CPU fan. How on Earth could a 15W CPU stay cool enough to be worth using without a fan?
09/24/2016 4:43 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1389843
[deleted]
09/24/2016 3:18 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Droid
Scott
I own a macbook, and when using it and playing MC, it is very usual. Making the macbook so small means its got a terrible fan (tiny, and slow to make it quite).
09/24/2016 9:39 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
After some googling. It looks like macbook's heating up while playing games is not unusual. Don't worry about it destroying the macbook. Most if not all newer laptops and computers have built in sensors that it turns off the computer when it reaches a certain temperature. Are you charging your macbook while you are playing minecraft?
09/24/2016 2:46 pm
McHorse
Oh, yeah, I completely forgot to mention that computer heats up faster, for some reason, if it's not being charged. Great point, mate
09/24/2016 9:23 am
Level 1 : New Miner
TheEmraldMiner
I think it's just one of the downsides of Mac gaming, now I'm not really a computer geek so I can't really help you but there is one thing I know. Before running MC you put forks under the computer with there handles sticking out!

Hope that helped,
TheEmraldMiner
09/24/2016 4:09 am
McHorse
My question is, does MC really take that much power to run on a Macbook air to the point that it starts heating up significantly? And I do mean significantly. I could probably burn my finger lightly if I were to put it on top of the plastic for a few minutes.

Yes, Macbook airs aren't really suitable for gaming in general. Only for, or course, for old games that doesn't high standard requirements. Could you provide information about processor, graphic card and memory card (the one that provides RAM).

However, I still play on Macbook air (not a new), and my Macbook doesn't really heating up on low settings. I think your Macbook is heating up quickly because the processor isn't a powerful one (mine's 1.6 GHz Core Duo). There's what I did to reduce the amount of heating while playing minecraft:

1. Close all application while playing
2. Install Optifine and lower as much settings as I can to play (for me, rendering distance within 3-5 doesn't heat up my mac so quickly)
3. Check out if there's any background processes running that consumes lots of CPU time. I had one process related to iCloud, called photosync or something, that was running in background and consuming up to 40% of CPU all the time. So I turned it off, and my Macbook heated up less.
4. Try playing Minecraft pre-1.8 versions with Optifine installed. Some people say that 1.7.X version and below has better performance.

You can also google "macbook overheating too fast," and see which tips and advices you can use to decrease the heat from your Macbook Air.

Hope it helped

If you find out more tips about how to reduce heating of Macbook Air, I would appreciate it if you'll share with me
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome