Overwatch Discussion Thread

Is there a new computer coming out that you are getting? New games? Post here!

What hero combo is your favorite?

Pharah and Mercy
25%
Zarya and Tracer
No votes
Torbjorn and Widowmaker
No votes
Reinhardt and McCree
No votes
Roadhog and Junkrat
25%
Reaper and Zenyatta
No votes
Ana and Soldier: 76
50%
Bastion and Reinhardt
No votes

Total votes : 4

Post Permalink
by JediJerboa » 2/8/2017

Hello, and welcome to the Overwatch discussion thread! Here, you and other PMC members can talk about strategies, vent about the about characters being nerfed, or just share your experiences with the game. You can also vote on questions each week and suggest a guide to be made about specific characters. The only one I have right now is the guide for Sombra, but watch out for the guides on D. Va, Ana, Reinhardt, and Symmetra very soon.
Last edited by JediJerboa on 3/27/2017, edited 12 times in total.
While you carry a sword, a gun, or a shield to wade into battle, they pale in comparison to the weapon that I bear: my words.
Contest Judge
Level 18
Journeyman Pokemon
Says: This is not the jerboa you're looking for.
Minecraft: NinjaGerbils
mc_server: Hypixel

Post Permalink
by Ren3DM » 2/8/2017

How much people use Genji? When ever I play Overwatch I don't see Genji being used a lot(I don't play overwatch a lot and thats not my favorite)
Level 15
Journeyman Robot

Post Permalink
by JediJerboa » 2/8/2017

Ren3DM wrote:How much people use Genji? When ever I play Overwatch I don't see Genji being used a lot(I don't play overwatch a lot and thats not my favorite)

Genji's a tough character to play, constantly having to change his tactics and method of attacking with a multitude of situations. Also, Genji has low base health, and Genji players often nag healers about their low health. For these reasons, people tend to shy away from Genji unless they are absolute pros.
While you carry a sword, a gun, or a shield to wade into battle, they pale in comparison to the weapon that I bear: my words.
Contest Judge
Level 18
Journeyman Pokemon

Post Permalink
by JediJerboa » 2/9/2017

Bump.
Contest Judge
Level 18
Journeyman Pokemon

Post Permalink
by Olly » 2/9/2017

i have found my home
All I wanted was to eat the chicken that is smarter than other chickens and to absorb its power.
Forum Moderator
Level 1
New Network
Says:

Post Permalink
by LeeTheENTP » 2/9/2017

All things considered, Bastion was buffed. He desperately needed a buff.

+ 5 more bullets in Recon mode
+ 100 more bullets in Sentry mode
+ Less bullet spread in Recon mode
+ Can repair while moving and taking damage
+ 1 second to change modes (previously 1.5s)
- Constant max bullet spread in Sentry mode
- No armor buff in Tank mode
- Can no longer headshot in Sentry mode
- Repair ability runs on a power meter, like D.Va's Defense Matrix

He's a lot more versatile now, putting Recon mode more or less on par with Soldier: 76 in terms of firepower (neglecting Helix Rockets, of course). The forced max bullet spread and inability to headshot are annoying, but in my experience in playing on the PTR, Sentry mode is much better due to the ease of repair and getting out of harm's way.

In short, he's more mobile and much more useful than his current role as an extremely niche pick.
Level 35
Artisan Blockhead
Says: Am I the sole surviving Hotmail user?
Minecraft: LeeTheENTP
mc_server: mc.muricagaming.com

Post Permalink
by Oddity » 2/10/2017

Bless this thread.

Bastions are particularly annoying and seen as "the noob pick" most of the time in Overwatch. If used correctly he can be very effective but he has several counters.

-- Counters in the spoiler below --

Spoiler
Genji's reflect can easily make Bastion kill himself, if Bastion does not stop shooting after the reflect. I've seen smart Bastions do this, but oftentimes the reflect is effective enough to take him out easily.

Pharah's distance and splash damage are enough to take Bastion out with 3 direct hits or 4-5 close shots.

Soldier can out DPS Bastion easily, with good aim and use of Helix Rockets

Hanzo or Widowmaker out range Bastion and deal more damage more quickly, killing him easily if he does not run away.

I'm sure I've missed some but those are the ones I could think of from the top of my head.

Bastion is immensely powerful when paired with a Reinhardt and pocket Mercy to keep him alive. I wouldn't call patch 1.8 directly a "Bastion buff" or "Bastion nerf", but more of a character balancing. Bastion didn't have many uses before, and it looks like he will be a more viable pick in this coming update rather than a niche, "use only in certain circumstances" pick.

By the way, I love discussion threads like these, and would love to see more of them, as Overwatch is something I love and play daily.
Level 11
Journeyman Network
Says: Boop!

Post Permalink
by JediJerboa » 2/10/2017

Question: How do you Mercy? I still can't figure it out. That's why I only play Ana when I have to be a healer.
Contest Judge
Level 18
Journeyman Pokemon

Post Permalink
by Pepijn » 2/10/2017

Mercy is kind of underpowered. She's the only healer that can't heal while simultaneously being able to attack. The best strategy is to stick with the majority of your team (preferably the tanks) so they can protect you from flankers (Mercy is an easy target). Make sure to stay a bit behind, but once again be aware of flankers. If you don't have proper teammates to protect you, don't be afraid to start shooting yourself. If you're able to hit headshots, mercy does a surprising amount of dps.

On top of that, all healers need proper awareness of where their teammates are, but it's especially helpful for Mercy since her "Guardian Angel" ability allows her to get out of nasty situations if you can find a teammate to fly to.

Speaking of other abilities, the damage boost. It can be very effective, but be prepared to switch to healing every second. Communicate with your team so you are around when (for example) your soldier decides to ult (a damage boosted aimbot is very good, as you can imagine).

Once the game has progressed a bit and the enemies are likely to have their ults (assuming you have yours as well). It's very important you survive any wipe (proper enemy players will try to make sure you will be the first to die though) so you can res. It's really hard to predict when a wipe is about to happen and it takes a lot of gameplay intuition, which makes mercy so tricky (unless you just respawned and you fly in, gg for you then).

One last thing, don't be too afraid to res (especially on attack). A res of 2 people has the potential to decide the game, but make sure the enemy team isn't able to wipe your whole team after you res (so keep track of when ults are being used).
Last edited by Pepijn on 2/10/2017, edited 2 times in total.
Contest Judge
Level 51
Grandmaster Cyborg
Minecraft: Pepijn

Post Permalink
by Oddity » 2/10/2017

JediJerboa wrote:Question: How do you Mercy? I still can't figure it out. That's why I only play Ana when I have to be a healer.

Mercy is in dire need of a rework/buff. She's the only support focusing 100% on healing, save for her damage boost option. Her pistol is about equivalent to Sombra's Uzi/Machine gun in the damage department. However, even though she's supposed to be entirely healing-focused, she's not the fastest healer. Ana is.

Mercy is best at healing tanks or damage boosting DPS characters. When playing Mercy, it's smarter to stay near the majority of your teammates. If Genji or Tracer runs off into the enemy team, don't chase them down. Also, don't focus too much on healing characters with self-healing abilities such as Mei, Soldier, or Roadhog. If you're being heavily harassed by backline heroes such as Tracer or Sombra, it's probably better to switch off to a healer that can defend themselves better, but still effectively heal.

On the offhand, a common misconception is that Zenyatta and Mercy can solo heal. Zenyatta is arguably the weakest at healing, and both Zen and Mercy can only heal 1 player at a time. If you ARE solo healing as either of them, do it with a team composition of self-healing heroes (i.e. Mei, Soldier, Roadhog). If you don't have at least two self-healing teammates, I'd recommend using Lucio or Ana to compensate, as Lucio can heal all his teammates at once (as long as they are in his line of sight) and Ana is the fastest healer in the game thus far.

This is just by my knowledge and experience of course, however little I may or may not have. I'm sure others will give corrections or better tips on playing Mercy. :)
Level 11
Journeyman Network

Post Permalink
by Oddity » 2/10/2017

Pepijn wrote:don't be too afraid to res (especially on attack). A res of 2 people has the potential to decide the game, but make sure the enemy team isn't able to wipe your whole team after you res (so keep track of when ults are being used).

^^ Please don't be the Mercy that hides in a corner and waits for all her teammates to die so she can get the POTG resurrection. I hate that SO much.

Also, if your team holds the majority in a team fight and a key player (such as Reinhardt) is down, feel free to Res him for extra security.
Level 11
Journeyman Network

Post Permalink
by Pepijn » 2/10/2017

Btw, Bastion wasn't really nerfed. It's more of a tiny rework.

Turret mode wasn't reliable at all (you get easily picked off by peaking enemies), so the nerf to turret mode doesn't really matter since it's not smart to stay in turret mode all the time anyway. Recon mode is now more viable and you can heal while running (+ I think taking damage doesn't interrupt the healing anymore). It's an overall buff I would say.
Contest Judge
Level 51
Grandmaster Cyborg
Minecraft: Pepijn

Next

Return to Gaming and Technology