PETITION: Irrelevant Blogs!

Tech's Avatar Tech11/21/14 6:34 pm
12/5/2014 7:02 pm
Tech's Avatar Tech
Hey guys. Apparently NO ONE has been addressing this, because no one cares.

I do, though.

From the day I create my PMC account, i've seen completely irrelevant blogs. I'm sick of it. This is PlanetMinecraft, nothing else. It's a place for all-things Minecraft.

However, people are so stupid they just can't figure it out yet. These people post irrelevant things, completely unrelated to Minecraft or PMC. As I said, I'm sick of it.

If you care enough, just go on the blog section and have a look around. See all the irrelevant things right now: nothing to do with Minecraft or PMC. See what I mean?

Alright, I know this is something worth looking into more (hinthint staff), but I want to hear from everyone who agrees.

This is a petition to add "Irrelevancy" to section 7.2.3 of the PMC rules, titled "Unacceptable Blogs". Irrelevancy: Posting blogs that have NOTHING to do with Minecraft, or the PMC community.

Please, if you're with me, reply to this post saying "I'm with CatTech!"

Hopefully if this is successful enough, the staff of PMC will issue this.

Thank you.
Tech
Level 7 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/05/2014 7:02 pm
Tech
Now that the steam has pretty much cleared, I'm ready to let this go.

This was meant to spread the problem and have people share their points on whether irrelevant blogs should stay or go.

Thank you to everyone who provided their point in why or why not, and I've learned a bit from what yall' had to say(No thank you to the many times the thread has gone off-topic, but I admit I did also).

Please don't continue this thread, as I already know what the majority thinks (Just lock it if you can, too).

Goodbye.
12/01/2014 10:00 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
I make irrelevent blogs, but no-one has a problem with that.

The answer is make a "Other" section. There is no need to remove the "irrelevent" blogs.
12/01/2014 9:42 pm
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn
Fanjawi
are you guys seriously still arguing over this
12/01/2014 9:47 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
And just when I thought it had blown over too =/

Thanks Speedy
12/01/2014 9:37 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
OfficerkitPerfect resolution to this problem: Make a All Minecraft part of the blog section. Done. Simple as that. No need to make a huge argument over all this crap, when you can just make a whole new section, and just get rid of the 'Other' section.

Exactly.

Apparently, non-Minecraft-related stuff goes in "Other", but it was not explicitly mentioned in the rules that non-Minecraft-related stuff doesn't go in the other sections. They're all just categories. I see "Other" as things not an article, tutorial, interview, etc.., not a section for "things other than Minecraft".

If anything, considering that Minecraft-related things are becoming more of a minority in the blog section, it'd make more sense that we remove the Other section and let non-Minecraft-related blogs take over the other sections, while a specific Minecraft section be made, as Officerkit said.

The thing is, it wouldn't be fair. Just as how it wouldn't be fair for non-Minecraft-related blogs to not enjoy the privilege of categorization. And some categories, such as Interviews, aren't even related to Minecraft. It shows that the Other section isn't meant to be a place for non-Minecraft-related stuff, while Minecraft-related stuff take the named categories, because no interview (other than those of game staff and the such) would be related to Minecraft, or, at least, in this case, "relevant".

That's why I still say that we should just keep our current categories, but create a new filtering system for Minecraft and non-Minecraft blogs. That way, whoever is looking for one or the other can easily select a filter or press a button. Both sides get categories. Both sides are happy. It'll be at the cost of site resources, though. But which is better; this option, or OP's suggestion?
12/01/2014 9:22 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Button Pusher
Officerkit
Perfect resolution to this problem: Make a All Minecraft part of the blog section. Done. Simple as that. No need to make a huge argument over all this crap, when you can just make a whole new section, and just get rid of the 'Other' section. The 'Other' section is mainly actually spam, but there are some good stuff; stories, etc. Plus, PMC wouldn't have created that contest : Life Of Steve Contest. But, it does have to do with minecraft by the slightest bit, no much though. Im just saying, I make poetry on here under "Articles" (since that's what Poetry is on irl), and I have a lot of positive review, so think about all the other blog posts that are "IRRELEVANT" to Minecraft.

Simple point: Make a Minecraft section.
12/01/2014 7:13 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Miner
KJP12
There is a "Other" section. It is where blog NOT related, nor not about the other blogs go. This thread have no point, but to just destroy EVERY blog in the "Other" section. That is what "Other" is for is that people can write blogs not related to Minecraft. Though, ads can't bother you, as there is a report system, and the site, and super mods can take care of the ad blog, or anything like it.
12/01/2014 6:20 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
irritatedCat
Wait, am I allowed to move my blogs into the forums?
12/01/2014 7:02 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Reer123
The forums is for discussion, the blog is to make a point.
12/01/2014 5:30 pm
Snowyfox
tankerkiller125I'm sorry to say it but if you don't want to see these "Irrelevant" blogs then just don't go to the blogs section of the website.

But he also wants to see the blogs that are "relevant" to him, and related to Minecraft. He can't just go to another section for that. It'd also be discriminatory and unfair if we just leave it be for people like OP to suffer. I still say it's better to just implement more filters and the such.

On another note, I hardly know anybody still around here on PMC that don't have a Minecraft account. He can just waltz into other Minecraft sites (Minecraft Forums doesn't have a blog section, but I think there's more sites around) and find this rule implemented, so...
11/30/2014 8:46 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc337468
[deleted]
11/30/2014 10:05 pm
Level 21 : Expert Archer
Diamondcrafter_3
^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^ that was brilliant!
11/30/2014 8:35 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Blob
Speedy
I've heard some moderators say these irrelevant blogs were allowed and some said they weren't. They were all after the new rules were written and knew about it, of course. I think we should at least get some clarification in the rules, something more than "a piece of written content, that brings a significant contribution to either Minecraft, the Minecraft community, the Planet Minecraft community, or Planet Minecraft itself."
12/02/2014 6:12 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
CalPal_
The rule was written that way with the sole purpose of allowing non-Minecraft blogs, as they weren't allowed before (even though, it would seem they were allowed up till early 2013).
11/27/2014 2:15 pm
Level 47 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrfis
honestly clearing up the current blogs section is better than re-enforcing old rules, true the old rules may help in the spammy stuff but the old stuff is still there
11/27/2014 1:45 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
Hmmm.

I think you guys are backtracking when saying that the blog section doesn't get as many views or diamonds as the other sections of the site. You forget there's a reason for that; they're not in popular demand in the general scheme of Minecraft-related submissions. If this was a journalism site, that might be different, but in regard to anything but the community, blogs don't actually have any relevance to the original game whatsoever. You can argue they provide information and articles about the game itself, but then you'd be agreeing with the very original point of this thread.

Moving them to the Forums and saying they're going to fall into obscurity and be dissolved out until they finally disappear is insulting to the people who do operate entirely on the Forums anyways. I'll give you some examples.

http://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/does-age-really-matter-t446081.html
http://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/tips-tutorials-mouse-drawing-t439842.html
http://www.planetminecraft.com/forums/how-was-the-universe-created-out-nothing-t435359.html

All three bring up a common point found around the Blogs section and have the ability to discuss thoroughly, same as this thread. At the same time, all three could be easily posted as a blog and be advertised as an article. Would the blog post receive more views and recognition than the forum thread? I don't see many blogs stimulate that much of a response from the community. On that note, if your blog is of the same quality on the Forums, then it shouldn't receive any less attention than it would in the actual Blogs section. If you need more evidence, search through Snowyfox's thread posts.
11/27/2014 2:57 pm
Chron
Wait a minute... Are you fighting for the removal of non Minecraft-related blogs, or the complete eradication of the Blog section?
11/27/2014 3:14 pm
Knightsundere
Err, I don't see a practical usage for the Blog section, so I guess eradication, if you want to put it that way. The removal of non-related blogs still falls under that goal though :b
11/27/2014 4:57 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dragon
The_Big_Dish
woah woah, no one was taking about removing all blogs unless I missed that in the past few pages. The blog section has actually helped me a lot with minecraft related things before so it IS useful. Just because you don't think it is doesn't mean it should be removed. A lot of valuable info would be lost if the blogs were removed. For example that that huge minecraft head post is very valuable to mapmakers and I have used it myself.

I think this topic is going wayyy beyond what the OP was talking about. No one was arguing people should remove the blogs in general.
11/27/2014 5:16 pm
Knightsundere
No no no, I didn't mean eliminate all the existing ones. Just, shifting the articles section over to the Forums. I'm perfectly fine with Art blogs and comics and all the lot that already exist.

Also, I was really just answering his question, not continuing on my point.
11/27/2014 1:37 pm
Snowyfox
We do get what you're saying, CatTech. Now that you've laid down your points in a more calm manner, I think a lot of people would agree with you. Especially considering the history of this site. But I still won't support it, though. Unless we have the capacity to have everybody successful even after a change like this, I think it's better to just look at the other eye if it means everybody can be entertained somewhat.

I don't play Minecraft anymore. I hardly want anything to do with it. I've never touched 1.8 in my entire life. I still almost hate horses. But yet I come to this site many times everyday, because I'm here for the forums and to post something once every 2 or 3 months, and to diamond a skin. Sometimes I see a random non-Minecraft-related article. A lot of them, although made in good nature, are things I personally find very badly made. But I still support letting them being posted, because it helps people train, and a lot of people would sit through the pain of reading a badly formatted article about a topic that would be very uninteresting to a lot of people, me included.

If anything, you'd have far better chances simply voting for more official and uniform separation between Minecraft-related and non-Minecraft-related content, something that is existent in our submission sections but is very unrefined, near useless or barely even existent enough to even be noticed. But calling for a global expulsion is like trying to rounding up all cat owners in a building and moving them to a different building, away from the dog owners. There'll be a lot of big fights and great points, but there definitely isn't going to be any actual action happening anytime soon.
11/27/2014 1:25 pm
Tech
So as you can see, I really haven't been active on the topic. Other people have been leading it (Chron,AwesomeAntlo12,MGB_,Snowy,Fanjawi). There's been a lot of off-topicness, so I please ask that we get back on the topic. I do appreciate everyone who has made their point in why or why not irrelevant blogs should be removed.

EDIT
(I had a few examples of people's blogs to show you exactly what I meant, but that was against the rules, and Snowy removed it (newb mistake) :I
11/27/2014 1:23 pm
Snowyfox
MGB_Mods (of the site) will almost always get more views them somebody who has work on par with them. This site isn't fair, just like life.

Hell naw. I disagree. At least, personally, I never ever visit Snowy's blog or something. OreoVal can arguably be more popular than them when it comes to submission popularity. And this site is indeed fair, because in terms of things like submissions, they share many, if not most, of the features that normal PMCers get to use. Mods still have to earn diamonds, make good submissions to gain popularity, etc.. The only reason they get more views is because of a slightly flashier name, but even that won't be enough to sway everybody to clamor their attention to mods. We still look for the same things we look for in other members.
11/27/2014 1:10 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Ash
Diamondcrafter_3I don't see what is wrong with non- minecraft related blogs. PlanetMinecraft was designed so fans of the game could come and talk with each other as long as it stays appropriate.

Diamondcrafter_3If we made a rule stating that blogs have to be minecraft related, PlnetMinecraft would lose it's purpose. This site is a place where we can all come and share our opinions and experiences.

I'm sorry, but to address your first point: PMC wasn't created for non-minecraft submissions; exactly why the name is Planet Minecraft. While, yes, the community has grown since the beginning, it was not originally intended to be for unrelated things.

And no, PMC wouldn't lose it's purpose. It's purpose isn't for hosting FNAF tips and other things like that, it's main purpose is to share Minecraft related creations.
11/27/2014 12:44 pm
Level 21 : Expert Archer
Diamondcrafter_3
I don't see what is wrong with non- minecraft related blogs. PlanetMinecraft was designed so fans of the game could come and talk with each other as long as it stays appropriate. Only minecraft blogs sounds really boring, if you ask me. As a blogger myself, I love to post stories about whatever and other content (that will be coming soon) and I know other people do too. Take my friend http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/ashfur4ever/ here. She writes wonderful stories. Most of them have nothing to do with minecraft. If we made a rule stating that blogs have to be minecraft related, PlnetMinecraft would lose it's purpose. This site is a place where we can all come and share our opinions and experiences. So no. I am NOT with CatTech.
11/27/2014 12:28 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Meme
VeryMadCrafter
CatTechHey guys. Apparently NO ONE has been addressing this, because no one cares.

I do, though.

From the day I create my PMC account, i've seen completely irrelevant blogs. I'm sick of it. This is PlanetMinecraft, nothing else. It's a place for all-things Minecraft.

However, people are so stupid they just can't figure it out yet. These people post irrelevant things, completely unrelated to Minecraft or PMC. As I said, I'm sick of it.

If you care enough, just go on the blog section and have a look around. See all the irrelevant things right now: nothing to do with Minecraft or PMC. See what I mean?

Alright, I know this is something worth looking into more (hinthint staff), but I want to hear from everyone who agrees.

This is a petition to add "Irrelevancy" to section 7.2.3 of the PMC rules, titled "Unacceptable Blogs". Irrelevancy: Posting blogs that have NOTHING to do with Minecraft, or the PMC community.

Thank you.

Agreed. This is a MINECRAFT website, nothing else. They can post blogs on Facebook, Twitter etc. The worst is, a lot of that kind of threads are becoming popular. And none of them realise the blog isn`t in the right place.
11/27/2014 12:11 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Princess
Skeltal
"Some men want to watch the world lose creativity."
-Alfred,The Dark Knight Rises.

(I just switched it up a bit,see what I did there?)
11/27/2014 11:45 am
CalPal_
Just gonna stick this here. As you can see, Blogs being Minecraft related was not required when the Submission Guidlines were first created. It (blogs) being required to be about Minecraft or PMC itself was not even mentioned until the beginning of 2013, when art blogs were required to be as such. It then has seemed to change from there.
11/27/2014 11:23 am
CalPal_
I have responces for what has been said/some new things to add, not going to do them up till I have an actual PC though, probably sometime later tonight. Too much quoting and actually typing to do on a phone, forums are horrid on here.

Until then, I shall bow out of this thread.
Also, happy thanksgiving to all yall who celebrate it!
11/27/2014 11:26 am
Chron
gosh dangit I was waiting for you to reply...

Honestly, I can go back and edit my blogs to make them all relating to MC/PMC. So, really, I'm not all that concerned about the removal of the "non Minecraft-related" blogs. As long as I can post blogs, I'm fine.
11/27/2014 11:02 am
Ash
MGB_
Let's take a bit of a look at "advantages" as a whole accross the site.
Let's say being able to post non-Minecraft things is a advantage blogging has over all other things. If that is the case, so what? Every section has advantages over every other section.

The texture pack and mod sections get considerably more views than the rest of the rest of the site. Why? Because they're in the highest demand amongst non-PMC'ers and are also very in demand by the PMC community. I'd say that's an advantage. In fact, the fact the all other sections relate to Minecraft/are useable in Minecraft is quite large advantage over the blog section, high quality posts are in generally higher demand.

The amount of views a section gets as a whole is irrelevant until it's because of the allowance of things that section can post. Yes, the Mod and Resource pack sections get the most views but they are still only able to post Minecraft related things. That's not an advantage; shifting the blame to what is in demand and what isn't doesn't contribute to any of the discussion. Blogs can relate to Minecraft too, so they have that "large advantage" that you attributed to the other sections, making it a uhh... "not advantage" (1 am I'm dead tired atm). And any post is able to be high quality, so again, that's not an advantage for any section.

MGB_
The skin section has had a monthly contest nearly every month for over two years. Contests are massive encourages of views, diamonds, and creativity and innovation within the section itself. Projects has also had a fair amount of contests. This is a distinct advantage (and please don't point out the three blog contests, 3 is nothing compared to 24 skinning ones). To even things out, let's have some texture pack and mod contests, eh? Let's be fair.

The participation in contests is relative to the number of members who actually participate in that general area. Yes, skins have had more contests because there are more members on the site who make skins than those who make blogs, projects mods and packs. Contests should be considered an outlier; they're not every day to day things that occur; non-minecraft blogs are. The reason that we dont host texture pack and mod contests isn't because we dont like those members *shakes fist in air at them* it's because of the ridiculous amount of effort it would take to set up, judge, and then the low amount of people who would actually join

Can I do the rest of the post when I wake up, too tired atm.
Except for this.
MGB_
Mods (of the site) will almost always get more views them somebody who has work on par with them. This site isn't fair, just like life.

Grrr, no chance in heck am I leaving this comment. It's not true, and you, MGB, know exactly why it isn't. Two different people, two different skins, same style, same quality, same views Does that ring a bell?

Anyways, will address the rest of everything tomorrow.

Edit:
Zatharel
You obviously didn't read MGB_'s post about all submission type advantages. I suggest you read everything said before replying and not just reading what you want to read.

Have a little bit of patience, geez, I was typing it out as you sent this. No point in the childish remarks like that, Zath.
11/27/2014 10:52 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Network
Antlo
Exactly what is the point of all of this arguing though? Honestly, (I wouldn't know), but I don't think that this rule is going to change, nor do I think that blogs will be moved to the forums.
11/27/2014 11:01 am
CalPal_
Meh, we all know it's not gonna happen. It's just fun to debate a bit.
11/27/2014 12:08 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Network
Antlo
True

It's fun to read too.
11/27/2014 10:34 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
Snowy
ZatharelStop trying to make a point where there is none.
You're telling me putting blogs in the forums will make it equivalent to posting another type of submission? That's ridiculous.
How is that in any way fair? The other submissions are STILL in the main part of the site, which ON IT'S OWN makes it easier to view.

Ah, no. Never said that putting blogs in the forums is the equivalent to posting on the main site, everyone knows that's not true, however there is still as much traffic on the forums as there is in the blog section. Yes, things are able to be viewed more easily on the main site but there's still as much viewing potential on the forums as there is in the blog section. And moving non-minecraft blogs to the forums is fair for the entire site. re: previous points on the matter.

Zatharel
I don't understand what you're trying to prove to us with those statistics.
From the first post you've been trying to tell us we're not equal, that somehow blogs get much more attention than other sections of the site.

And that's what the statistics show, that the blog section is getting much more attention than other sections of the site on average.

Zatharel
We won't be gone, we'll just have to "try harder"? No, we won't have to try harder, and we will be gone. You aren't just moving what we love, you're taking the joy of seeing someone actually read it. I write because it's fun, but also because there is at always at least 2 people that enjoy what I write. Those 2 people won't come on the forums to read that, you can be sure of that. Not everyone uses the forums and not everyone will care enough to go on them.
And now suddenly we're the ones with an advantage over other submissions?
Please.

No, you wont be gone. I've said for several pages now that Minecraft-related blogs should be able to stay on the main site, but non-minecraft blogs should belong to the forums. That's not "gone". That's "put more effort into my Minecraft blogs to make up for the lack of non-minecraft ones". The "joy of seeing someone actually read it" is also available on the forums. Thread view count and the reply section are both attributes that the main site and the forums share. Those 2 people can be linked directly, or maybe with the implementation of the new forums they can subscribe to what you post (hey, you never know what's up Parils sleeve)

And yes, bloggers are still the ones with an advantage over the rest of the site due to being able to post non-minecraft things that appeal to a wider community. Moving those non-minecraft blogs to the forums would eliminate this advantage and would make the site fair for everyone to use and operate under the same set of rules.

You obviously didn't read MGB_'s post about all submission type advantages. I suggest you read everything said before replying and not just reading what you want to read.
11/27/2014 10:06 am
Ash
ZatharelStop trying to make a point where there is none.
You're telling me putting blogs in the forums will make it equivalent to posting another type of submission? That's ridiculous.
How is that in any way fair? The other submissions are STILL in the main part of the site, which ON IT'S OWN makes it easier to view.

Ah, no. Never said that putting blogs in the forums is the equivalent to posting on the main site, everyone knows that's not true, however there is still as much traffic on the forums as there is in the blog section. Yes, things are able to be viewed more easily on the main site but there's still as much viewing potential on the forums as there is in the blog section. And moving non-minecraft blogs to the forums is fair for the entire site. re: previous points on the matter.

Zatharel
From the first post you've been trying to tell us we're not equal, that somehow blogs get much more attention than other sections of the site.

And that's what the statistics show, that the blog section is getting much more attention than other sections of the site on average.

Zatharel
We won't be gone, we'll just have to "try harder"? No, we won't have to try harder, and we will be gone. You aren't just moving what we love, you're taking the joy of seeing someone actually read it. I write because it's fun, but also because there is at always at least 2 people that enjoy what I write. Those 2 people won't come on the forums to read that, you can be sure of that. Not everyone uses the forums and not everyone will care enough to go on them.
Please.

No, you wont be gone. I've said for several pages now that Minecraft-related blogs should be able to stay on the main site, but non-minecraft blogs should belong to the forums. That's not "gone". That's "put more effort into my Minecraft blogs to make up for the lack of non-minecraft ones". The "joy of seeing someone actually read it" is also available on the forums. Thread view count and the reply section are both attributes that the main site and the forums share. Those 2 people can be linked directly, or maybe with the implementation of the new forums they can subscribe to what you post (hey, you never know what's up Parils sleeve)

And yes, bloggers are still the ones with an advantage over the rest of the site due to being able to post non-minecraft things that appeal to a wider community. Moving those non-minecraft blogs to the forums would eliminate this advantage and would make the site fair for everyone to use and operate under the same set of rules.
11/27/2014 8:53 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Pony
Starlight Glimmer
CatTechHey guys. Apparently NO ONE has been addressing this, because no one cares.

I do, though.

Thank you.

changed ma mind, I disagree with ya
11/27/2014 8:47 am
CalPal_
*coughs*

Ok, my points kinda sucked. *shrugs*
Wasn't doubting your truthfulness, it's just always good to have sources/proof of what you're claiming as fact.

Shifting gears...
Let's take a bit of a look at "advantages" as a whole accross the site.
Let's say being able to post non-Minecraft things is a advantage blogging has over all other things. If that is the case, so what? Every section has advantages over every other section.

The texture pack and mod sections get considerably more views than the rest of the rest of the site. Why? Because they're in the highest demand amongst non-PMC'ers and are also very in demand by the PMC community. I'd say that's an advantage. In fact, the fact the all other sections relate to Minecraft/are useable in Minecraft is quite large advantage over the blog section, high quality posts are in generally higher demand.

The skin section has had a monthly contest nearly every month for over two years. Contests are massive encourages of views, diamonds, and creativity and inovation within the section itself. Projects has also had a fair amount of contests. This is a distinct advantage (and please don't point out the three blog contests, 3 is nothing compared to 24 skinning ones). To even things out, let's have some texture pack and mod contests, eh? Let's be fair.

You can point to (recent) view statistics, and it would be nice to have blanket, average stats of ever blog/skin/project ever. *pokes Cyp* However, I would find it hard to argue against the blogging section being the most disadvantaged section of the site. Low interest from the majority of the community, lack of Minecraft integration causing lack of interest from non-PMC'ers, a very low number of people submitting quality work, and a super rough past/huge amount of spam posts have killed most people's intrest in it, even bloggers themselves, combine to make one heck of a disadvantaged section. Probably the only section with a lower/same ratio of quality/crap is the skins.

So in conclusion, so what if this is an "unfair" advantage. Ever section has one in one way or another. Everything about this site is unbalanced. *shrugs* its not a fair site. People with more skill will always succeed, and people with none will not. Mods (to the game) will always get more views than skins. Mods (of the site) will almost always get more views them somebody who has work on par with them. This site isn't fair, just like life.

So, until you can resolve all of these other "fairness" issues, this point is nothing. All other sections have advantages (usually tied directly to the very essence of what they are) and so does the blogs. If this issue is an "advantage" it's one that helps level the playing field

As to why this is the way it is, don't ask me. I didn't make the rules. As I (and Oli) have said, take it up with him. I just see no reason why it should be changed, and this "unfair advantage" argument is about the only I've been offered.

Well UH. That was a bit of a rambling. I'll clean it up a bit when I'm on a PC later today.
11/27/2014 8:43 am
Zatharel
Stop trying to make a point where there is none.

Please.
11/27/2014 8:42 am
Level 49 : Master Creeper Hugger
Cookiesz
Snowy
Skins: 68 Total views, average of 4

Projects: 112 total views, average of 8

Blogs: 509 total views, average of 35

So you checked randomly 10 blogs or 10 non-related blogs?
11/27/2014 8:02 am
Ash
MGB_
//
Oi, that's funny. Would you like to provide some kind of backup to that?
I sure don't see it. On average, it probably only gets more views per post than skins, and that's only because people can see/avoid a crappy skin when they see one.
Skins are really the only thing comparable with blogs on the view/diamond amounts they get. Their high quality, highly advertised ones get around 800+ views, and 50+ diamonds, rarely any higher or lower than that.
However, two things.
1: Skins are already at an advantage over all blogs (bar art ones) by being visual. I can look at a skin and in 5 seconds determine if I want to diamond it or not. Blogs are at a huuuuuuge disadvantage off the bat. Many people would look at a blog the size of which I (and many others) write, proclaim "TL;DR," and click away. If this isn't a massive advantage (provided by the very concept of skinning), I don't know what is.
2: You (seeing how y'all are skinners) are in the exact same club as us (albeit, on a somewhat lesser level) Granted, you're making skins for Minecraft. However, you can make it into just about anything you want. Any game, book, movie or OC you have. This is a distinct advantage over say, the project section, who is limited to buildings within the game of Minecraft or perhaps the texture pack section, which is limited to little blocks.

Really, if you think about it, just about anybody on this site can make near-anything they want. Saying that them being locked into the realm of Minecraft and us not being so isn't even comparable. It isn't really a distinct advantage, really. And I haven't been shown how it is, by any of you who say it is.

And as a small side note, if you're going to answer this, please go through and answer all my points Instead of picking out the easiest/a single point from every post, as you guys have been doing almost ever time. Thanks.

Backup is as follows: survey of 10 submissions from the skins, project and blog sections. Posted in same time frame, taken in order of posting, no members have been in chat and advertised any of their works.

Skins: 68 Total views, average of 4

Projects: 112 total views, average of 8

Blogs: 509 total views, average of 35

Feel free not to believe me but I have no need to use falsities to prove a point. Of course you're able to say "hey I wasn't watching you so you probably made it up" but have a little bit of faith here. If you wish, I can probably get my paws on site wide statistics straight from the Cyborg himself.

The initial visual appearance has no play in this as both blogs and skins can look bad on first look (inb4 "BETTER IN 3D") Your first point makes no sense and is a counter of what you're trying to prove: Blogs have an advantage as a member has to read the blog to decide if they like it or not, gaining a view. Skins are judged based on their preview and don't need to be viewed to have that decision made. Clicking away from a blog still gets the creator a view, regardless if the member read it or not.

Your second point also doesn't make much sense. Projects and skins are in the same boat. The comparison you included is wrong: Skinners can make minecraft skins of whatever they want. Builders can make minecraft projects of whatever they want. We are both limited to the common base of Minecraft. Same with the mod and resource pack sections. We can create whatever we want, based from anything we like, but Minecraft has to be the platform. The blog section isn't restricted to this, bloggers have free reign of what they post as long as it doesn't break a rule. This technically gives an advantage to the section due to the more possibilities of topics that can be posted, as the communities interest in things that aren't Minecraft garner extra views.

I am still waiting to hear a good rebuttal as to why the blog section gets to post non-minecraft things but the rest of the site can't. And please, no "that's the way the rules are".
11/27/2014 7:30 am
CalPal_
[quote="Snowy"]
[b] It has one of the highest post / view ratios; blogs get more views per post than both projects and skins combined.[b]
Being able to post non-minecraft things isn't just a perk, it's a massive advantage over other sections of the site. This, combined with the higher view rate give the blog section an unfair advantage when the entire site should be playing the same game.[/quote]
Oi, that's funny. Would you like to provide some kind of backup to that?
I sure don't see it. On average, it probably only gets more views per post than skins, and that's only because people can see/avoid a crappy skin when they see one.
Skins are really the only thing comparable with blogs on the view/diamond amounts they get. Their high quality, highly advertised ones get around 800+ views, and 50+ diamonds, rarely any higher or lower than that.
However, two things.
1: Skins are already at an advantage over all blogs (bar art ones) by being visual. I can look at a skin and in 5 seconds determine if I want to diamond it or not. Blogs are at a huuuuuuge disadvantage off the bat. Many people would look at a blog the size of which I (and many others) write, proclaim "TL;DR," and click away. If this isn't a massive advantage (provided by the very concept of skinning), I don't know what is.
2: You (seeing how y'all are skinners) are in the exact same club as us (albeit, on a somewhat lesser level) Granted, you're making skins for Minecraft. However, you can make it into just about anything you want. Any game, book, movie or OC you have. This is a distinct advantage over say, the project section, who is limited to buildings within the game of Minecraft or perhaps the texture pack section, which is limited to little blocks.

Really, if you think about it, just about anybody on this site can make near-anything they want. Saying that them being locked into the realm of Minecraft and us not being so isn't even comparable. It isn't really a distinct advantage, really. And I haven't been shown how it is, by any of you who say it is.

And as a small side note, if you're going to answer this, please go through and answer all my points Instead of picking out the easiest/a single point from every post, as you guys have been doing almost ever time. Thanks.
11/27/2014 6:25 am
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
Ellie
I always thought forums were more of a general discussion, advertising, quick points and occasionally something good that gets buried.
Blogs are more thought through as it contains interviews, tutorials, stories, art blogs... Its something you favorite so you can see when its updated and keep going back to see it. Unlike forums.
Right now it gets advertisements and questions too, dedicated mods to blogging would help sort that. Or making it more clear that questions belong to forums.
Getting rid of blog section would be horrible, because i love its layout i love how you can follow blogs and keep updated and it actually contains more worthwhile and better quality posts, as it should do.
Forums are not the same as blogs and never should be but people keep trying to make it look the same. Putting blogs on forums would completely ruin it unless you add all the features from blogging to forum.
Those saying blogs are just used for getting xp, do you completely ignore the fact people fave blogs and subscribe to people to keep up to date with blogs? Xp is like a reward for doing something worthwhile but i would happily drop xp if it means keeping the blog section. I enjoy keeping in touch with people who make good quality blogs, related to mc or not, because i enjoy them. Putting this on forums would destroy it.
11/27/2014 2:10 am
Ash
Zatharel
Because as MGB_ already said, you all keep talking about how we want favoritism, when in reality you have no understanding of the blogging section whatsoever. You don't care enough to know that we barely have any common contributors now in that section, and if you ban non-minecrafts, move them to the forums or literally anything you've suggested, we're all gone.
Since post 1 I've been trying to explain to you that you can't move us, remove us or anything of the sort. Why?
Because doing so will end blogging as a whole on the site.

I have a very thorough understanding of the blog section; anyone older than two years on here will know that. I had trouble posting less than two blogs every day, I know what it's like to pour everything you have to turn it into a blog. And yet I still believe that it is unfair that only bloggers can post non-minecraft things. You're not "all gone" if non-mincraft blogs were moved to the forums, you just have to try harder to get your minecraft work recognised like everyone else on the site. There may not be many constant contributors in the blog section these days, but there are ALWAYS blogs being posted.

MGB_Quite simply, the blog section is already of little interest to the majority of PMC. Traffic rarely goes there unless it's directed (advertisings and such). Without being able to post about non-PMC/Minecraft things, the blog section would get even less.
It is already at a distinct disadvantage to other sections. It getting this "perk" helps what you seem to be advocating so much, fairness. *shrugs*

As with the point above, there are always blogs being posted, and always traffic going through the section.
It has one of the highest post / view ratios; blogs get more views per post than both projects and skins combined.
Being able to post non-minecraft things isn't just a perk, it's a massive advantage over other sections of the site. This, combined with the higher view rate give the blog section an unfair advantage when the entire site should be playing the same game.

Non-minecraft submissions, including blogs, belong in the forums. No exceptions. Keep it fair across the site.
11/27/2014 1:05 am
Zatharel
Knight

Exactly. "Writing is writing and is in no relation to Minecraft." In that regard, why should blogs get to have content that isn't related to the site? PMC is a Minecraft site after all, and if the Blogs section is allowed to post material that isn't related at all to the site, then why aren't the other sections allowed to do the same?

Because as MGB_ already said, you all keep talking about how we want favoritism, when in reality you have no understanding of the blogging section whatsoever. You don't care enough to know that we barely have any common contributors now in that section, and if you ban non-minecrafts, move them to the forums or literally anything you've suggested, we're all gone.
Since post 1 I've been trying to explain to you that you can't move us, remove us or anything of the sort. Why?
Because doing so will end blogging as a whole on the site.

Unless that's what you want, I recommend just messaging Oli as MGB_ said.
11/26/2014 2:13 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1280016
[deleted]
11/26/2014 1:41 pm
Knightsundere
Pikamoar
So, what you are saying, is that if the old "Only MC" rule was reinstated, that all blogs would be dissolved into the forums? Thats what I got out of it. We are talking about two different things here.

Unless you wanted to write about specifically Minecraft related articles, then yes, the blogs would most likely be dissolved into the Forums where they could still be written and exhibited as non-Minecraft related pieces.

ZatharelBlogging:
But however, blogging is a different story. Yes, it was intended for Minecraft-related-things at the start. But writing is writing and is in no relation to Minecraft. Just as humans came from drawings in caves to Shakespeare, PMC came from Minecraft blogs to an entire section dedicated to writing.
You cannot limit blogging because in the end it's still writing, and in the end it will continue to grow, unlike the other submissions which will never come from Minecraft to Skyrim.

Exactly. "Writing is writing and is in no relation to Minecraft." In that regard, why should blogs get to have content that isn't related to the site? PMC is a Minecraft site after all, and if the Blogs section is allowed to post material that isn't related at all to the site, then why aren't the other sections allowed to do the same?

As I said earlier, the Forums are a place that stuff like that should belong, simply because any piece of writing in the forums could be posted as a blog, and any blog could be posted as a forum thread. Really, it's just a system of simplifying how many tabs we have on the sections bar.
11/26/2014 12:17 pm
CalPal_
Chron
Snowy
Zatharel it will continue to grow, unlike the other submissions which will never come from Minecraft to Skyrim.

Except mods made in Minecraft have inspired mods made for Skyrim, and other games. Project inspire people to recreate them in other games, just an simple tutorials inspire people to go above and beyond with their next blog. The sections on this site are so incredibly similar, but people are trying to excuse it for the sake of being favored other another part of the community.

Except that we don't want favoritism. We just don't want to be shut out.

^

Quite simply, the blog section is already of little interest to the majority of PMC. Traffic rarely goes there unless it's directed (advertisings and such). Without being able to post about non-PMC/Minecraft things, the blog section would get even less.
It is already at a distinct disadvantage to other sections. It getting this "perk" helps what you seem to be advocating so much, fairness. *shrugs*

There is literally no reason for things to change the way they are. Jetra and Oli were the main forces behind the creation of this newer rule. And they got approval of it. If you wanna know the reasoning, Oli has said to tell you guys to PM him about it.
Or you could always ask Paril or Cyp, they seem all for it too.
11/26/2014 10:48 am
Level 20 : Expert Network
Imadbush
Planet Minecraft brings people who like Minecraft together, but it might also bring, inadvertently, some Skyrims fans or some Roblox fans ect.

So we don't let them discuss this as this is not the factor that drove them together?
No, That's like saying, for example, that people doing a 'Computer Programming' course in college cannot discuss anything but that.
See how ridiculous that seems?
11/26/2014 10:33 am
Chron
Snowy
Zatharel it will continue to grow, unlike the other submissions which will never come from Minecraft to Skyrim.

Except mods made in Minecraft have inspired mods made for Skyrim, and other games. Project inspire people to recreate them in other games, just an simple tutorials inspire people to go above and beyond with their next blog. The sections on this site are so incredibly similar, but people are trying to excuse it for the sake of being favored other another part of the community.

Except that we don't want favoritism. We just don't want to be shut out.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome