Please help me I'm ready to give up please look

MuffinSwag's Avatar MuffinSwag12/21/14 7:03 pm
12/22/2014 6:08 pm
-Baron's Avatar -Baron
Hello guys, I've spent about 10 hours today trying to learn how to code minecraft plugins. And Ive mostly got it, I successfully wrote about 30 lines of code without errors, but its the plugin.yml, the files, and the jar itself that I need help with. let me explain. I made a test plugin, which where you did /hello it would respond to you. I set up the project, the package, and the class, swell as the plugin.yml, but I don't know what the correct main: thing is. Its supposed to be something like me.benhallihan.hello.hello or me.benhallihan.hello.main but I can't figure it out for the life of me. I've tried everything, it always says something along the lines of: InvalidPluginException: Cannot find main class `me.benhallihan.hello.hello.'

here are all of the screenshots that may help you to have the info you need to help me, Im usually pretty smart and I think I could be a valuable developer on my minecraft network but Ive been stuck for hours on this and Id rather come to a community of experienced mine crafters than spend 5 more hours trying to figure this out.

NOTE: I've tried me,benhallihan.hello.hello, me.benhallihan.hello.java, me.benhallihan.hello.hello.hello, me.benhallihan,main, me.benhallihan.hello.main, you name it. Please tell me what to do.

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/O7Xq6bb,vtZKhXG,vF5eyZG#2 <<<<<<<--------
MuffinSwag
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/22/2014 6:08 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Guard
-Baron
Moved to General Help.
12/22/2014 3:40 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Mage
ZachDevv
Coding. Coding is a complex set of commands that tells the computer what to do, and by learning these commands in and out, your possibilities are endless. Learning minecraft code is probably 10x easier than real code. Even if this is true, you can't just learn it overnight. I would suggest watching some tutorials, getting plenty of rest, and not to stress out so much.
12/22/2014 3:09 pm
Level 29 : Expert Modder
generalcedric
Wow! Learning Java in 10 hrs? Impressive

I got Java down, and I would try to help, but I do forge, never got into bukkit
They should be similar

It looks like it can't find package, but it can... hmm
12/22/2014 3:33 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Grump
MonarchOfMadness
I knew C# then I started java and learned how similar it was.
I pretty much got a tiny bit bukkit API (such as commands and events) down in 30 minutes
12/22/2014 3:04 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Grump
MonarchOfMadness
Send us your plugin.yml?
12/22/2014 2:50 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Daedalus Official
Well, you've likely called a class from somewhere which is in the wrong package, if you're in eclipse you can go to package explorer (the window on the left), and see the names of your packages. I did a tutorial series on coding mods a while back, so some of the info is a little outdated, but you'll be able to learn some pretty solid java. If you want, just post the code up here and I'll see what's wrong with it. Anyway, here's the first video I did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw_4Psyg90U

(I'm EsvDefcon btw, but the mods don't like me so they banned me from PMC a couple of months ago )

Oh, and from the images you posted, it's a little hard to see exactly what's wrong, but your package is called me.benhallihan.hello.
12/22/2014 8:29 am
MuffinSwag
also, it may help, the actual code seems to be contained in me.benhallihan.hello.hello.java, I tried putting that and it still didn't work, and as shown in the screenshot all of the green C files are like dropdown from that file, however thats what it always does when I create a class. anybody know if this is normal? is that something that needs to be fixed or is that supposed to happen? if its set up incorrectly how do I fix it?
12/22/2014 8:20 am
MuffinSwag
Like I said tho, Im having having no trouble with the coding part, for some reason having me.benhallihan.hello.hello won't work. THATS what I need an answer to.
12/21/2014 11:06 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Modder
escape9179
This is how it should be.

main: me.benhallihan.hello.hello

http://wiki.bukkit.org/Plugin_YAML

If this doesn't work, then maybe you are formatting the plugin.yml incorrectly?
I'm not an experienced plugin developer
12/21/2014 10:57 pm
Level 25 : Expert Archer
IDKCharlie
The topic of this title makes it sound like you're about to commit suicide. Just saying.

In terms of coding, I know nothing.

What have I contributed to this discussion? Nothing.

Should you change the title to be a little more accurate and less concerning? Yes.
12/21/2014 9:07 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1638765
[deleted]
12/21/2014 8:34 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Skinner
terreen
Coding is like a whole new language, it is simply something people don't learn overnight. Although this advice is really cliche, practice makes perfect. People devote themselves to coding, and people who have spent years on it still learn things.

Think of a coding language this way: Its a problem, (whatever you want to achieve) and you need to use the materials and the stuff you have gathered and learned to solve it. Like in the real world, many things have many different solutions, some big, some small, some extensive, some really short.

Coding is literally another language you are learning and trying to understand. Keep an open mind, and devote yourself to it.
12/22/2014 2:37 pm
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
10Andrew
Why don't you just, like, use google translate or something? Just do a English > Java, that's how it works right???

I'm a GENIUS!!!

Click to reveal
Just so everyone understands, I am joking. There is always someone who takes me seriously :/
12/21/2014 11:16 pm
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
This, it takes a while to actually learn Java, trust me, I am learning right now. Its not easy, its like learning another language, just like the person I am quoting said. Its not easy, and depending on the person, it may be hard. You just need to set some time each day, or week and sit down, grab a cup of coffee, or whatever, and sit there and learn. It takes time. Dont try to do it in one day, one week, let it take time, if you take your time, you will be able to do some quality work, not something that is terrible and put together in like a couple of hours.
12/21/2014 8:15 pm
MuffinSwag
yes. I spent about 8 hours trying to conquer the great challenge that is eclipse. Anybody have an answer? I feel so uneducated and nobody D:
12/21/2014 8:03 pm
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
10Andrew
My greatest tip for coding is to go outside and buy a cup of tea because you are going to be there a LONG time.

I have no experience with coding (but I hear it is hard :O )
12/21/2014 7:13 pm
MuffinSwag
bump
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome