[POLL: Girls:Boys Ratio] PLUS! Your experiences with sexism?

InfamousArgyle's Avatar InfamousArgyle9/18/14 10:32 pm
1 emeralds 2.6k 90
9/22/2014 3:49 pm
Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox
Just kind of curious to get a ratio of girls to boys frequenting this place, that also play minecraft. Also I'm interested in what kind of sexism people in the community have to put up with. I regularly am treated as a sort of ditzy fool if I hold any position of authority other than owner in a server.
Some boys try to treat me delicately which generally results in them witholding information or sugarcoating it. They often have a very knee-jerky, apologetic reaction to me being upset with their actions which sort of impedes me from trying to discuss things with them further. sigh...
Others ask me if I'm fat, hot, or other really personal stuff. It's annoying to say the least.
InfamousArgyle
Level 37 : Artisan Spider Rider

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/22/2014 12:53 am
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
Ellie
Generally when playing games there is some sexism towards girls. But its not that bad in Minecraft as Minecraft is a game almost anyone can play and its really simple. Only issues ive had is guys being creeps and stalking me because im a girl. Most of my friends on MC are girls, ages ago when i was running a server 3/4 of the staff were girls and half the guys that were staff wore girl skins...
Sexism IRL ive never had an issue with. Maybe the occasional sexist joke but nothing that offensive or serious. I have a huge issue at my college with a group of feminists (just this group not feminism in general) because they use it as an excuse for everything and demand that everyone's equal when actually women have biological differences than men so no.
09/22/2014 12:44 am
Level 1 : New Miner
StarWarsWhovian
When I first went on Minecraft servers, everyone thought I was a guy by my username, and I didn't even tell anyone that I was actually a girl, until a week ago...
I used to be a HUGE tomboy, then I become a little more girly a week ago.
I regret telling everyone that I was a guy now. When people hear my voice, they think I'm a 12 year old boy or something...
09/21/2014 8:46 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Network
MissMarifire
Obviously I am a man.

--

I've had more trouble between feminists than guys; I've argued with one because I was in marching band and our field commander was a guy and that I was 'promoting the patriarchy'.

I was wearing my band skin at the time and someone else asked about the band. I don't even know why she was arguing me about something not MC related at the slightest either.

I think they were jealous because he was cuter than them lol

I've also had another tell me I wasn't allowed to have a guy friend live in a house I built, simply because he was a guy. I told them that they were a close friend of mine and it should be fine; the lady kicked us both and banned us from the server.

SnowyFemales dont play games. lol wow no girls here k.

If a guy gives you a rose because you're a girl, that's not sexism or oppression, he's just being nice.
If a girl asks you to help her lift something, that's not sexism or oppression, you're probably just stronger than her and she needs help.

Contrary to popular belief, the world isn't out to offend you.

^Thisthisthisthis^
09/21/2014 8:43 pm
Level 26 : Expert Toast
Cheezbergur11
I'm a cheezbergur.
What really annoys me is when people say that they are tasty and annoying stuff like that.

I mean, it's not like I'm eating you in public and making memes about YOU on the internet.

So yeah, I guess you could say I encounter sexism a lot

EDIT: I'm really glad you put "Other" on the poll. People pretend like everyone on the site is human.
09/21/2014 8:38 pm
Level 26 : Expert Unicorn
Leeanne
I feel weird though, I perfer to play with guys instead of playing with girls, even though I am a girl...Idk why, its just a preferance....
09/22/2014 3:49 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
That's pretty okay. Sometimes it's just the general personality of the other gender that makes them gain a free positive handicap for your favor; for example, maybe you dislike the general way your own gender acts, or you are just so used to them that the more exotic and nicer side seems better to be around with.
09/21/2014 8:27 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Ash
Females dont play games. lol wow no girls here k.

If a guy gives you a rose because you're a girl, that's not sexism or oppression, he's just being nice.
If a girl asks you to help her lift something, that's not sexism or oppression, you're probably just stronger than her and she needs help.

Contrary to popular belief, the world isn't out to offend you.
09/21/2014 9:50 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Ninja
Afootpluto
09/21/2014 8:11 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Geek
Z645
Sexism? Nah.
But I feel more comfortable playing games with girls than guys, even though I am a guy. Because I've grown up around so many girls.
09/21/2014 7:47 pm
Level 23 : Expert Artist
nyancatfeaver45
I'm a girl but never had to deal with sexism. Most people think I'm older then I sound. They always think I'm a teen yet I'm 12.
09/21/2014 7:43 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Warrior
RoseOfShi
People just assume I'm a girl off my username all the time. I'm actually a boy! -Dun dun duuu-
09/21/2014 7:37 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Network
xmx1024
reduce the options from all of that bs to
male
female
genderfluid
other
09/21/2014 7:21 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
irritatedCat
Let's just face it. Minecraft has been taken over by girls.

Anyway, I think some of these posts are sexist themselves. I mean, guys are sexist sometimes, but not all guys! Some people are just saying "OMG boies suck gawsh they are so sexist girls can handle a server better gawsh". If you say stuff like that, you are being just as sexist as boys. Then again, boys can be a bit more rowdy...

Honestly, I prefer gaming with girls, (I am an male),
because they keep it nice and cheer you up when you are in a bad mood don't say boys can't do that but then you get that idiotic, gay, racism but the same is with girls:you try nice with them others makes fun of you..

Oh, well now you're bringing down other boys yourself.

Sure have. :/
I'm a girl MC player, and alot of the time people think that girls can't PVP, but we can. People sometimes make comments about "taking it easy on you" because you are a female. Also, you get a lot of free stuff if you have a girl skin - just saying. xD

I might as well try that! But I admit, some girls are really good at PvP.

imo girls would actually be able to pull off being staff more. They are much more sensible and less of an idiot in such things. Yes, guys can pull it off just fine, but some if not a lot can't exactly control their, umm...yeah...(e.g. "having fun" by spawning crap everywhere).

Oh wow, that totally wasn't offensive at all.

Sorry if I was harsh at all. I'm just sick of how hypocritical people could be.

*Braces for walls of hate to be launched at me.*

EDIT: Good thing I'm a dragon.
09/21/2014 3:07 am
Level 38 : Artisan Ladybug
Lucy_the_Cow
Sure have. :/
I'm a girl MC player, and alot of the time people think that girls can't PVP, but we can. People sometimes make comments about "taking it easy on you" because you are a female. Also, you get a lot of free stuff if you have a girl skin - just saying. xD
09/21/2014 2:56 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Toast
potatotoes
Some guys are sexist and say "You're a girl you're suppose to be bad!" or "send me nudes" just because I'm a girl and it gets uncomfortable to the max.
09/21/2014 2:59 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Scribe
MMCStudio360
Wow.... Honestly Ive honestly never heard of anything like that so it gives me chills
09/20/2014 6:27 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
Pie_N
Icey treehonestly I prefer gaming with girls, (I am an male),
because they keep it nice and cheer you up when you are in a bad mood

Don't game with me then....
(I can be nice if I want to)
09/20/2014 6:24 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Architect
Icey tree
honestly I prefer gaming with girls, (I am an male),
because they keep it nice and cheer you up when you are in a bad mood don't say boys can't do that but then you get that Idiotic gay rasism but the same is with girls:you try nice with them others makes fun of you..
09/20/2014 6:06 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Cowboy
Star
I've never really had any issues concerning sexism, but online, people do seem to think that I'm a male for some reason.
09/20/2014 1:49 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Goblin
Littleminer14
I havent seen anything like you guys have...

All girls on the internet are actually creepy 44 year old men.
09/20/2014 1:44 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Toast
Kelpo
One time I was on this server, and I was going to apply for staff and a staff person said "Women can't be staff" and "They can't handle it" and "The owner shouldn't pick a girl to be staff". It made me really mad. Can't handle it? Wtf. Girls can handle some things. guys can handle some things. Being staff is something a girl or a boy could handle. The fact that he had the nerve to say it in front of everybody really bothered me.
09/20/2014 5:57 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
imo girls would actually be able to pull off being staff more. They are much more sensible and less of an idiot in such things. Yes, guys can pull it off just fine, but some if not a lot can't exactly control their, umm...yeah...(e.g. "having fun" by spawning crap everywhere).
09/20/2014 1:26 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Scribe
Yaminia
Tumblr is the only place I see Sexism anymore, and it's against Men.
09/20/2014 1:44 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Scribe
Poshtoffee
http://itsstuckyinmyhead.tumblr.com/pos ... -of-tumblr

Somewhat relevant.
EDIT: Probably best you go outside if that's the only place you've seen it.
09/20/2014 4:23 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Scribe
Yaminia
Totally not talking about the "KILL ALL MEN" posts or the blogs named/titled something with Misandry in the title.
Again, the only place I see sexism any more is on Tumblr.
09/20/2014 1:25 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Meme
VeryMadCrafter
Where is Interchangable???
09/20/2014 1:14 pm
Level 33 : Artisan uwu
Ashfur4ever
I have had an encounter with it.

Now see here, I'm okay with guys and girls alike, we're equal. So when i find a guy whos yelling that all girls are the stero types (Like, how we all love pink, we all love drama we are mean, we are confusing those really annoying (Not the word i want to use but its a kid friendly site) ones) and how much he hates it... well lets be glad its the internet or i don't think he would have come out of that conversation well.
09/20/2014 12:41 pm
InfamousArgyle
The_Big_Dish
Xyifer12
The_Big_Dishsnip

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gender "the state of being male or female" "sex <the feminine gender>"
Also reminded me of this, lol: jhallcomics.com/sites/default/files/styles/comic/public/gender2.jpg

not sure what you are trying to link to...the english dictionary...? and some comic...?

I already mentioned my point, most anthropologists recognize gender goes beyond sex even if that is the norm for most people. There is trans people everywhere for pretty much all human history and people who are not male or female in other cultures across the world. This is literally nothing new or strange about this idea. If you don't like it fine, but it is still a part of humanity that people often do not always fit into one human category nicely.

Anyway I am not going to say anything more because it is offtopic.

Yeah, I'm not sure the english dictionary is the authority on gender studies either. People should know not to run to the dictionary to know about a social construct or something like that - the dictionary only tells you how the word should be used in speech/writing.
09/20/2014 12:05 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dragon
The_Big_Dish
Xyifer12
The_Big_Dishsnip

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gender "the state of being male or female" "sex <the feminine gender>"
Also reminded me of this, lol: jhallcomics.com/sites/default/files/styles/comic/public/gender2.jpg

not sure what you are trying to link to...the english dictionary...? and some comic...?

I already mentioned my point, most anthropologists recognize gender goes beyond sex even if that is the norm for most people. There is trans people everywhere for pretty much all human history and people who are not male or female in other cultures across the world. This is literally nothing new or strange about this idea. If you don't like it fine, but it is still a part of humanity that people often do not always fit into one human category nicely.

Anyway I am not going to say anything more because it is offtopic.
09/20/2014 11:46 am
Level 26 : Expert Unicorn
Leeanne
I don't think I've expirienced anything sexist, but most of the time when I skype with people they assume I'm a guy...I guess I have a sorta deep voice (idk?)

I'm a soprano though, but whateverrr....
09/20/2014 12:38 pm
InfamousArgyle
:0 People like to assume I'm a 12 year old boy because I have a grumpy 12 year old boy voice apparently. I'm not sure being treated like a grumpy 12 year old is that stellar, either.
09/20/2014 11:35 am
Level 41 : Master Toast
Xyifer12
The_Big_Dishsnip

09/19/2014 1:13 pm
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
It's a simple maturity thing. The less mature kids are going to be sexist, either because they fancy you or think MC is for boys only.

I've banned people on my servers on numerous occasions for either of those. If they're stalking a girl on my server I'll ban them, and equally if they're giving them abuse I will too. I don't do it in a white knight kind of way, just can't be bothered with immature people on my server

I've not had to deal with that for a while though. Most of my players are pretty mature these days
09/19/2014 12:02 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
MaxBFalcon
I am moderator on a fairly large creative server, and sexism is a pretty big thing there. I see people targeted for various things all day. It is kinda sad, but that is just the way humans are, no matter what gender they are. Not to seem rude, but I just say, "deal with it" and move on.
09/19/2014 11:39 am
Level 46 : Master Princess
OreoVal
I've dealt with sexism on servers, both inappropriate comments, guys being too-nice to me (one literally asked the owner to name a rose "from -username-" and give it to me on valentine's day .-.), boys thinking because I was a girl I suck at PVP, etc.
09/19/2014 11:53 am
InfamousArgyle
I think it interesting that boys think that "it's flatttering for women to be preferentially treated by men!" but it really just shows that it they don't think of them (girls) as equals!
09/19/2014 11:27 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Scribe
SuperSecretFakeAccount
Sexisim, A topic of certain people hating others over gender, Im male so i'm usualy fine, I live in australia, and it seems that not to many people are sexist here. I;m personaly against racism and ageism to.
09/19/2014 11:32 am
InfamousArgyle
Ageism is another thing that's rampant in minecraft. People my age (I'm 20) don't seem to realize that there are middle and high schoolers in the game that are worth knowing, and impose these really "judicious" minimum age limits on their servers. There are at least 2 9-year-olds on my server and it's really not discouraging to the adults that play there. If you're annoying, you're annoying, even if you're 19 or so. I've banned adults for being smart-alecky or trying to backseat-drive the server on several occasions.
Adults like to pretend they know it all but they don't :C
09/19/2014 12:37 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Dragon
The_Big_Dish
hey we are the same age!

I actually joined an adult server once that was 18+ and everyone there was hilariously so immature....The only reason they started a server was so they could use swears/make sex jokes All.The.Time....

I used to help run a server and like the best most mature player was 9 years old. Not even joking.
09/19/2014 1:10 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Taco
monte carino
Sounds like a fun server
09/19/2014 11:16 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
Let's be honest, Women and Men are good at different things, doesn't mean a girl can't be as good as a boy at it, but it's on an avarage thing.

Girls Bonuses:
+ Better social abilities
+ Can't get kicked in the balls
+ Needed for child production
+ Cute
+ Kawaii
+ Often tries harder than Men
+ Better at cooking

Boys bonuses:
+ Doesn't give birth
+ Also needed for child production (lol)
+ Larger brain (Does not really mean men are smarter though)
+ Better at sports (This is pretty obvious)
+ Boys bullying isn't as scary as when girls do it

Now guys, no hate this is a joke, but let's all agree. Girl bullies are scary.
09/19/2014 11:29 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
bluebunn55
False counter:

Females
+Better Social Abilities (stereotype)
+cute&kawaii (Have you SEEN some girls?)
+Better at cooking (Gurl, I know a guy who has a DEGREE in culinary arts)

Males
None
09/19/2014 11:32 am
Level 31 : Artisan Narwhal
xenolovegood
the sexism is real
09/19/2014 11:21 am
InfamousArgyle
A larger brain just means your brain is more subject to inertia, and your head is heavier XD

All jokes aside, comments trying to ascribe certain characteristics to a specific gender aren't very helpful to ending sexism, or even that funny. Girls don't necessarily have any of the things you described.
09/19/2014 11:22 am
NetworkPCE
I said it was a stereotypical joke
09/19/2014 11:26 am
InfamousArgyle
I was aware it was a joke but it wasn't a very well-thought-out one. Really, it just read like someone being like, "lol, here's some girl and boy stereotypes" without any real relevance to the discussion at hand.
09/19/2014 7:55 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Warrior
Kahtahn
bluebird337On my server, it doesn't happen much at all. But if I go on somewhere like Hypixel then yeah you get ppl humping your character if you have a female skin. I was kind of shocked at that and I just changed my character skin. Minecraft seems like a pretty good community in general.

I don't find minecraft to be a good community anymore. Just a bunch of 9 year olds cursing and jerks. Lol
09/19/2014 7:34 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Dragon
bluebird337
On my server, it doesn't happen much at all. But if I go on somewhere like Hypixel then yeah you get ppl humping your character if you have a female skin. I was kind of shocked at that and I just changed my character skin to a ninja. Minecraft seems like a pretty good community in general. When I do Twitch though, it's pretty insanely terrible. No video of me and I don't even talk, but still you get these hostile dudes who just hop on the chat to say things. Twitch needs to add nasty words about women to their word filter. So I'd say there are enclaves of outright sexism, but mostly on Minecraft it's ok. If you're asking about irl though, yeah, sexism is real. I've seen some of the worst of it because I worked in a male-dominated career field and got out of it because of that.
09/19/2014 11:00 am
InfamousArgyle
On minecraft, yeah, for the most part it's usually quite inconsequential (unless you're the only girl on an all-male staff, then it gets pretty hard to get much done).I give out permanent bans for sexual harassment of any kind, so I'm generally pretty free of it.

I'm going into ecology or field zoology when I get out of school, and I've heard stories about women in the sciences not being taken very seriously by their male colleagues. I won't let that worry me too much, but I'm hoping that doesn't get in the way of me doing my job.
09/19/2014 11:18 am
NetworkPCE
<--- Was having a nice time with a girl in MC, until he heard it was the owners sister. (Punishment was hecka large) (With nice time i meant we were skyping)
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome