PMC Official Trading Cards?

Masq's Avatar Masq8/7/15 4:42 pm
1 emeralds 3.6k 81
9/24/2015 3:03 pm
Eager8's Avatar Eager8
Heya everyone,
I'm here to suggest an idea, similar to that seen: here, although I believe that that project has been discontinued. Also, in my view, that thread focusses more on the cards themselves and their abilities/pictures/background whereas this idea revolves entirely around the collecting and trading of them.

~ The Basics ~
The idea is of "trading cards" for the site - basically, there'd be a database of all users of the site (possibly only those who have logged in in the past year or so, just to slim down the numbers) and it would be transformed into "playing cards". These cards wouldn't be usable just collectable and would look like this:

When hovered over, they'd reveal some limited information:

[USER NAME]
[RANK: Common/Uncommon/Rare/Ultra Rare/Legendary]
[INFO: ...]

The rank would be your level on the site. I'm not saying these exact numbers, but for example: Level 10 and below would be deemed "Common", Level 20 and below "Uncommon", Level 30 "Rare", and so on.

The info would be a small, customisable 140 characters that users can write themselves to describe them. Similar to that of a forum signature.

You could see your card collection on your profile, much like the existing tabs with "Submissions" and "Banners" however this one would say "Cards" and then you could scroll through them - they would be ordered in rarity, then alphabetised.

~ How You Would Get Them ~
I was thinking that cards could be collected for:
- every level you raise on the site
- your placing in the official site contest: the higher you place, the more cards you receive.
- your "anniversaries" on the site - celebrating your dedication and loyalty to PMC by rewarding you packs of cards for every year, two years, three years you stay on the site.
- perhaps in community challenges, the host of the competition could ask a moderator if they could supply a pack of cards as one of the prizes for winning? This would be a far better substitute than "subscribing/diamonding 5 things" etc.

These were the only way that I can think of that wouldn't cause the majority of people to spam submissions, forum threads or the like. If you have any more suggestions, feel free to leave them down below.

You would then have the ability to "trade" cards between users, "gifting" your friends a specific card and maybe there could be a forum thread or something dedicated to the trading of cards: people could post what they are looking for, what they are offering and could discuss their collection. There would be a strict no cards for diamonds/subscriptions/money rule.

AkirAssasin suggested the idea of a specific section of the chatroom dedicated to the trading of cards (similar to Server Hall, Skinning etc etc).

~ Why? ~
The thinking behind this idea is twofold.

First, I feel like it would be an awesome extra addition to the site and add another area of interest. My thinking was that it would hopefully inspire people to enter the contests (if they get cards for placing in the top 100, rather than just a "finalist trophy") and stay on the site for longer. It would spur lots of heated enthralment of who can collect the most legendaries, who boasts the biggest collection and who has managed to find "so and so".

Secondly, the server that I help staff recently just added this feature and I must say it really is propelling traffic - everyone is loving collecting cards of people they know on the server and it's been really successful. On the thread I linked above where people were discussing the making of an external PMC Card Game the reaction was overwhelmingly positive too, with just under 300 "yes" votes. It is clear that the sweeping majority of people do like they idea of some sort of feature like this.

~ FAQ//Suggestions~
I added this section as I know there is bound to be lots of opinions, disagreements, suggestions and the like (rightly so!) and so this could be the area where I could post the outcomes of these for the ease of any viewers. And, just like all ideas there is 100% going to be issues raised - I hope to post the outcomes of them here after forum discussion.

The cards are all coloured differently to represent the area of the site the user uploads in most frequently - this would add a completely new aspect to the collecting/trading of cards as it would allow all users to see what kind of person the card is representing and they can compile the biggest collection of skinners/bloggers/builders and so on. (suggested by eagoy)

When you rank up on the site you receive card packs (as prior mentioned in the OP) however the rank you reach affects the amount/rarity of cards you receive. For example, levelling up to rank 3 from 2 would get you an average card pack (10 cards) but levelling up to rank 5 or 10 or 20 would get you a card pack with increased advantage (20 cards).
(suggested by Captain_SPD)

You could type your username, or that of someone you want in card form into the "database" and it will retrieve a list of links to users that own that specific card for you to trade with - this would be great for those trying to a) find their own card, b) find their friends cards c) compile a certain collection of cards (e.g. level 50 and above)
(idea developed from SpoopyBlue)

So, I would love to hear any thoughts on this suggestion - obviously the site is very busy at the moment updating the forums/user profiles and such so if this were to happen (if) I would imagine it wouldn't be in the near future due to the fact it is not a priority in the slightest. I would just like to gauge some community reaction to the idea to be honest - I look forward to reading some opinions on whether you would, or would not like this implemented and for what reasons.
Masq
Retired Moderator
Level 39 : Artisan Dolphin

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/24/2015 3:03 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Network
Eager8
I need this.
09/24/2015 2:56 pm
Level 49 : Master Creeper Hugger
Cookiesz
I think it's awesome I'd love to see/read more about the idea
09/24/2015 2:43 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
risha
Awesome idea!
09/24/2015 1:44 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Enderdragon
henry665872
Good Idea! I Approve and Support it
09/24/2015 1:18 pm
Masq
Bumping this along
09/07/2015 12:01 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Necromancer
Hydraheads
They already have user banners. So I feel the only way this would quite "work" is if they WERE playable. When you subscribe to someone you get their card, and when someone subscribes to you you have access to theirs. Cards that aren't your own would be tradable. You get more options for card abilities and stats as you level up, and unlock the ability to choose/switch the value of the card casually, as well as their classification. However, rare cards are harder to play/use and decks must have a balance of ranks to remain viable. Competing in PMC card tournements would raise your "rank" effectively and gain/lose XP, as playing would require you to wager XP.

Now, here's the juicy part. Your submissions also have cards. They grow levels along with the download amount allowing them to be further customized as well. They can be seen as "item" or "ability" cards varying on the type of submission. You can only use your own submissions as cards, so not everyone will have every type of card. It encourages submitting original content and will boost this site's popularity overall.
09/12/2015 11:03 am
Masq
I do like the idea of playable cards, but I feel like if this were to happen, it would be better to just lay some foundation and look at the community's reaction before exploring that side of things.

Subscribing to people for their cards I'm not so sure about - a) It takes away the fun of finding and trading for cards, b) it takes away the stigma surrounding a "subscription" c) everyone could just end up with identical sets to each other; there's no real "end goal" if you can automatically receive cards from every PMC legend.

However, I think there is something behind the idea of receiving the cards from people who subscribe to you. Yes, this could promote creating quality content in the hope of more subscribers, and encourage players to interact with more people. On the other side of the spectrum, this may just cause more "Sub4Sub" schemes or people asking for subscribers in exchange for cards.

Again, submission cards are something that maybe could be explored if the basics of the idea had been set up. Perhaps only submissions with a certain amount of xp surrounding them will gain a usable "card"? I'll have a think about this.

Thanks for the suggestions!
09/07/2015 10:15 am
Level 21 : Expert Dragonborn
Fanjawi
Didn't I say same about this not being as important and you all denied me?

Also I think you're missing something: This does not need to be official/made by the admins. And it most likely won't.
09/07/2015 11:30 am
Masq
Well it's true that this isn't as important - we all agreed with you on that one. The point we were trying to get across is that we aren't saying it should take a precedence over the forums or profile update; just a suggestion. After all that is why there is this section of the forums - for users to try and suggest things to improve the site however big or small.

Also, yes this does not need to be official and built in to the site, but considering how the last project fell to pieces, and all of the obstacles they had backstage in the making of it, I just feel like the PMC team would do a far better job of putting this together to match the existing portions of the site. Furthermore, I feel like the community would feel more enthusiastic about the whole concept if it was site-based due to the fact it's:
a) automatic
b) close to home
c) easy to use.

I just want to make this clear to people wondering - I understand that there are more pressing matters to attend to site-wide and I'm not saying in the slightest that this should take any sort of precedence - in actual fact, it's more the reverse. All I wanted to do was to suggest an idea that I thought from experience and data (the overwhelming majority of people support this kind of concept: as shown in the poll above, and the poll for the PMCTCG), would help enhance the site. Everyone's entitled to give their opinions, and the fate of this could be decided from there. Not once have I said that this needs to be made anytime soon. I feel like continuously pointing out that this isn't very important is kind of veering off topic: have your opinion, whether good or bad, but don't persistently make an issue of how much priority this deserves, especially when not once on this thread has anyone stated that this was very important at all.
09/05/2015 7:23 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
09/05/2015 5:25 am
Masq
May as well keep this active!
08/31/2015 5:55 am
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
Honestly, if this had been such a wonderful idea, I would have done it (unofficially of course) when Name tried to force me to or even 6 months ago instead of letting Jared not do it.

Better forums would be nice. Chat looks really new and "Techy" but the forums look very aged.

I also dream about a discussion page, where people's paragraphs are split into points and the opponent has to counter as many points as they can to participate, as opposed to saying "w0w u no clever i dnt care i win bye L0L u lus" but that will remain merely a dream.

Still, I can't imagine a trading card game as part of a fansite but good luck nevertheless.
09/05/2015 7:27 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
09/04/2015 4:11 pm
Masq
I agree there are more pressing features that need attending to in the site, like the forums as you mentioned, but I don't really see the problem with suggesting this idea for whenever it can be built in the future.

Thanks for the wish of good luck! Oh, and that discussion page sounds incredible - even if PMC probably wouldn't house it.
08/30/2015 7:19 am
Level 37 : Artisan Ranger
Caporal Dxl
PMC do it

They really should!!!
08/30/2015 7:06 am
Level 37 : Artisan Explorer
TastyYoghurt
My suggestion is to stop dreaming and start working on it, because if you wait for others to do something, it will forever remain just a fantasy and there will never be any progress, at all.
08/30/2015 7:15 am
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
To be fair, it's not exactly a huge priority, and the idea is presented by people (purely speculation) that don't have the time to create something this complex.

Dreams are nice, no need to bang them out until you are perfectly satisfied with the concept.
08/30/2015 7:32 am
Level 37 : Artisan Explorer
TastyYoghurt
No, no! Ideas are super cheap. Everyone has tons of ideas, almost nobody is going to spend any effort on executing them.

I have an idea of building a 50 meter tall marmalade castle, for example. I could on a forum and ask people: "do you like my awesome castle idea?" and everyone would nod and say that my idea is amazing, and we should definitely build a castle like that, and offer helpful suggestions, that a castle should also have chocolate columns, and windows of molten sugar, and marshmallow statues, but nobody would move a finger and a castle would never be built, not even a 10 centimeter model.

This is exactly what happened to the previous version of this idea, and what will likely happen to this one, too. If anyone wants this thing to become reality, they should not waste time on waiting for suggestions and fantasizing. They should just start working and build a prototype, no matter how ugly and poorly made, and then try to improve it. One prototype is worth 1000 vague, beautiful ideas! If nobody is willing to do that, we might as well give up on this and pick an easier, more realistic goal.
08/31/2015 5:39 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
I don't think you understand how big the "To-Do List" of PMC is. While we're obviously all enjoying the idea of PMC Trading Cards, this isn't our priority. I'm not too familiar with what is being worked on right now, but it goes all the way from a new forum to a profile update. Cards can wait.
08/30/2015 6:57 am
Masq
Bumping yet again;any suggestions on the idea?
08/25/2015 10:42 pm
Masq
Going to keep this active with another bump.
08/23/2015 6:16 am
Masq
Bump
08/21/2015 12:49 pm
Fanjawi
whatevs I don't control what happens and what doesn't
08/21/2015 8:08 am
Fanjawi
Also, I feel like we should first develop into improving and fixing the site, before we get into stuff like these. We have to make a new forums which they said was gonna happen. Then we have to develop new features for chat which was said was gonna be implemented into the future.

Let's start doing stuff that has a point other than developing stuff with no real point.
08/21/2015 8:16 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
That is just silly. We *are* already working on things like the new forums and the chat. Why waste time debating over something that is already being made? By your logic, we should just ban these suggestions all together because of more important things.

This is a completely fresh and new idea for the site that could be implemented in the future. I see nothing wrong with working out a concept like this in a thread. No one ever said "IMPLEMENT THIS NOW, IT MUST BE IMPLEMENTED OR WE WILL KILL YOU111ONE!1111", we're simply talking about something that *could* be added in the future.

Further more, what do you mean with no point? This has exactly the same point as new forums and chat edits - all members enjoying our lovely site.
08/21/2015 8:03 am
Fanjawi
So if I'm level 40, I should get a bunch of cards for all the levels I was before.
08/21/2015 7:57 am
Masq
WTFshady
IAmLikeSoCalledTTWould this just be a level 2 and above thing to avoid users who haven't posted anything?

Maybe you can make them gray and have a color for the other categories.

It would be cool if you added hybrid cards for people who have the same amount of posts on 2 categories (e.g. 5 skins and 5 projects) so basically, the person would have a card with the skin color, a card with the project color and a hybrid card.

Yeah making all user's without submissions have "grey" cards is a good addition to that idea. Thanks!

I'm not quite sure by what you mean about "hybrid" cards - I understand that their card would have half one colour, half another, but I don't think making the user into 3 separate cards would be necessary when that one hybrid card portrays all the information.
08/20/2015 5:34 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
IAmLikeSoCalledTTWould this just be a level 2 and above thing to avoid users who haven't posted anything?

Maybe you can make them gray and have a color for the other categories.

It would be cool if you added hybrid cards for people who have the same amount of posts on 2 categories (e.g. 5 skins and 5 projects) so basically, the person would have a card with the skin color, a card with the project color and a hybrid card.
08/20/2015 5:23 am
Masq
Bumping this once again.
08/18/2015 12:29 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
Supporting this. If you need help with anything, throw me a PM, I would love helping.
08/18/2015 10:47 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Dragon
diggingfordonuts
I backed up the other one so im backing up this one. I've always thought this was a good idea
08/18/2015 8:51 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lava Rider
eagoy
I really like this idea and support it.

As for the cards, what about adding a little graph showing the amount of submissions you made relative or not of each other. Simplified idea below.

Projects : xxxxx
Skins :
Packs : x
Servers :
Mods :
Blogs : xx
Banners :
Collections :

Alternatives: Using colors or simply numbers instead of a bar.

The idea behind this is to show in a simple way easily what kind of card/person you got. A skinner? A Builder? A blogger? etc.

A benefit is that you can trade or collect more skin type cards or something besides only a rank on the card. In other words you can try to collect builders, bloggers etc. instead of only legendary for example.

The implantation could be done relative simple I believe. Currently you can get already a sigcard from your account page. It already shows the amount of submissions and xp you made and got. So a little polishing to make it more suitable for this idea could be done easily I think. (disclaimer, I have no coding skills).

Anyway this is my idea/suggestion for official trading cards on PMC

~eagoy
08/18/2015 2:05 pm
Masq
Thanks for the suggestions I must say I am a fan of the "colour" cards to represent what area of the site user's are interested in (would this just be a level 2 and above thing to avoid users who haven't posted anything?) I like the fact that it adds another aspect to the trading and collecting of the cards and would be an awesome addition - will edit it into the main thread right now (with credit, of course!). I too have little to no coding skills hence the idea being to build it into the site and suggesting it to Paril and co on the development side of things!
08/16/2015 11:28 am
Level 74 : Legendary Pixel Painter
Anxiety Opossum
This would be AWESOME.
08/17/2015 5:08 am
Masq
Glad you think so

Keeping this thread active so people can share their thoughts/suggestions/tweaks about the idea!
08/16/2015 8:49 am
Masq
Bumping again.
08/14/2015 3:05 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
Autraya
You could be Steam and level up via the cards?
08/14/2015 2:04 pm
Masq
Going to give this another bump
08/13/2015 7:11 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
AnimeFanFTW
imma just comment here, so I can follow this.
08/13/2015 6:59 am
Masq
Bump!
Still really interested to see what you guys think - all thoughts/suggestions/ideas are welcome!
08/11/2015 11:17 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Ninja
AkirAssasin
Also, maybe winning contests approved by mods or official contests allows you to get a random card with special particle effects or something. Something shiny and untradeable
08/12/2015 9:04 am
Masq
I do like the idea of "special" cards for achieving certain feats, but perhaps this is a little too progressive for the origins of the idea, and could be integrated at a later stage?
08/11/2015 5:38 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Kioki
k
08/11/2015 1:25 pm
Level 48 : Master Spider Rider
Mayanaisee
I think this is a cool, unique idea. It's a way for people to be more excited about leveling up and gaining XP. Do you have a plan on how to trade the cards?
08/11/2015 3:48 pm
Masq
Awesome, glad you like the concept AkirAssasin suggested that the trading of the cards could be done in a chat room specifically dedicated to this - an idea which I love.
08/11/2015 12:58 pm
Level 45 : Master Pony
C_S
IAmLikeSoCalledTT
Captain_SPDI have an idea for these trading cards!So you can trade or give a trading card to someone but you can also customize a trading card to what ever you want it to say!(This will be useful for forum contest winners[contests that are not hosted by PMC]).But after customization a mod will have to overlook the card or cards and approve it! And how you get trading cards is you can either buy them with PMC coins(new thing) or get the cards from PMC achievements(new thing)!You will have a chance of getting 1-3 customizable cards but will always get 10 cards every time a card pack(new thing) is opened.Just a suggestion!Another way to get cards is by leveling up.When you level up you will have a chance of getting 10 to 20 cards!The cards will all go into a card storage(new thing).But you can only unlock cards after you reach level 10...

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I really do appreciate all thoughts possible on this idea to really solidify the concept. I'll just discuss a few ideas here:

Customizing cards is something that I have had a think about - my thoughts were that it would be very hard to moderate what people say on their cards and so I (as put in the thread) thought that the personalised "Says" section of your forum profile could also be the little description bit in your card that you can personalise yourself? This would mean that the moderation wouldn't be so heavy (if the message is all over the forums too, people are more likely to notice it/report it and so it is less likely to appear).

How people receive cards is a huge area of the concept that needs discussing/affirming. Adding PMC coins to the site may just be overkill and too much work. Similarly, I was thinking that perhaps diamonds could act as some sort of on site "payment" but dismissed the idea due to the fact that it would spur diamond for diamond schemes which are strictly forbidden.

PMC Achievements such as winning community challenges, site activeness etc etc is a good idea and one that I did include in the OP. The rest of your ideas (about levelling up causing a user to receive cards) were already included in the post. I do however like the idea of "Card Packs". Perhaps for every level on the site you gain, you receive a "card pack" - the rarity/size of the card park depending on the level you reached. For example every level you gain 10 cards, but every 5 levels you gain 20?

Thoughts?

Well okay then,coins may be too tough an idea but thanks for considering my card pack idea...
08/11/2015 12:40 pm
Masq
Captain_SPDI have an idea for these trading cards!So you can trade or give a trading card to someone but you can also customize a trading card to what ever you want it to say!(This will be useful for forum contest winners[contests that are not hosted by PMC]).But after customization a mod will have to overlook the card or cards and approve it! And how you get trading cards is you can either buy them with PMC coins(new thing) or get the cards from PMC achievements(new thing)!You will have a chance of getting 1-3 customizable cards but will always get 10 cards every time a card pack(new thing) is opened.Just a suggestion!Another way to get cards is by leveling up.When you level up you will have a chance of getting 10 to 20 cards!The cards will all go into a card storage(new thing).But you can only unlock cards after you reach level 10...

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I really do appreciate all thoughts possible on this idea to really solidify the concept. I'll just discuss a few ideas here:

Customizing cards is something that I have had a think about - my thoughts were that it would be very hard to moderate what people say on their cards and so I (as put in the thread) thought that the personalised "Says" section of your forum profile could also be the little description bit in your card that you can personalise yourself? This would mean that the moderation wouldn't be so heavy (if the message is all over the forums too, people are more likely to notice it/report it and so it is less likely to appear).

How people receive cards is a huge area of the concept that needs discussing/affirming. Adding PMC coins to the site may just be overkill and too much work. Similarly, I was thinking that perhaps diamonds could act as some sort of on site "payment" but dismissed the idea due to the fact that it would spur diamond for diamond schemes which are strictly forbidden.

PMC Achievements such as winning community challenges, site activeness etc etc is a good idea and one that I did include in the OP. The rest of your ideas (about levelling up causing a user to receive cards) were already included in the post. I do however like the idea of "Card Packs". Perhaps for every level on the site you gain, you receive a "card pack" - the rarity/size of the card park depending on the level you reached. For example every level you gain 10 cards, but every 5 levels you gain 20?

Thoughts?
08/11/2015 11:28 am
C_S
And how you get trading cards is you can either buy them with PMC coins(new thing) or get the cards from PMC achievements(new thing)!You will have a chance of getting 1-3 customizable cards but will always get 10 cards every time a card pack(new thing) is opened.Just a suggestion!Another way to get cards is by leveling up.When you level up you will have a chance of getting 10 to 20 cards!The cards will all go into a card storage(new thing).But you can only unlock cards after you reach level 10...
08/11/2015 11:26 am
C_S
I have an idea for these trading cards!So you can trade or give a trading card to someone but you can also customize a trading card to what ever you want it to say!(This will be useful for forum contest winners[contests that are not hosted by PMC]).But after customization a mod will have to overlook the card or cards and approve it!
08/10/2015 1:01 pm
Level 26 : Expert Architect
Willerd
No wee need irl trading cards
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome