PMC Project Contest Ideas

Cyprezz's Avatar Cyprezz5/30/12 2:54 pm history
2 emeralds 25.4k 476
5/27/2017 11:14 pm
LightlySaltedBuilder's Avatar LightlySaltedBuilder

The first PMC project contest was a huge success in every way. Besides receiving over 600 entries, it was FUN and inspiring to see how individuals and teams started with the same custom island and transformed it into every type of resort you can imagine.

PMC is long overdue for another project contest. Ideally, we'd like to have project contests bi-monthly. We have a few ideas but they're not set in solid stone, more like cobble stone. We're all creative individuals, so why not open up the concept phase to everyone. Which one is chosen will remain a secret to only those required to prepare the contest. I imagine we'll eventually have so many great ideas that I COULD start mini-contests that run simultaneously with the main event but don't necessarily include physical prizes...

What makes a good project contest idea?
Here are a few things that I think we should take into consideration when presenting our project contest ideas:

1) Allow freedom of interpretation and creativity.
If the topic is too specific our individual creativity will not have a chance to produce interesting and diverse results. When considering this point, think about looking at 600+ entries. That many entries of Nyan Cat would get old quick and no one likes moldy pop tarts. What we're brainstorming is an interesting common element that grounds our creativity and ideally inspires us.

2) Wide range appeal but not main stream media
The topic should be reasonably appealing to everyone regardless of demographic including country, age, gender and/or clique. At the same time, I don't feel commercial main stream topics are good topics for project contests. No movies, games, TV shows, products, etc. When considering this point, think beyond yourself and ask whether the other gender, your parents or another culture would be interested in the topic as well.

3) Potential for a Minecraft back story / Custom map.
A back story isn't a requirement but I do feel it's a good creative test. If we have a fun reason/motive for why we're all building around the topic, then it's more likely to inspire us. If we can't come up with some sort of back story then it's less likely to inspire creativity.

Beyond those three points, I think I'd be getting into specifics that would just get in the way of coming up with ideas.

Lastly, there will be a lot of ideas. If you don't like someones idea or if you feel they didn't consider the above, refrain from bashing it. Either ignore, come up with your own or provide constructive criticism: criticism or advice that is useful and intended to help or improve something, often with an offer of possible solutions.

As always, have fun!
Cyprezz
Admin / Lead Developer
Level 71 : Legendary Cyborg

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/27/2017 11:14 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Architect
LightlySaltedBuilder
Dream house solo contest:

Steve has gotten tired of adventuring and exploring, and wants to settle down (again). However this time, he wants the perfect house. So he gets to work building his dream house.

Basically just build your dream house. There is a starter map but it is not required so that people can choose which biome they want their house to be. The only requirements are that it must have a dining room,bedroom, and kitchen. The rest of the house is up for the contestants to decide. The houses are judged on their creativity, skill, and the amount of effort it took.
05/27/2017 4:22 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Architect
subpartikel
I know PMC had a roller coaster build contest once but I LOVE roller coasters, so I been thinking of another roller coaster build contest, but maybe a sci-fi or alien themed roller coaster?
02/12/2017 11:02 pm
Level 21 : Expert Button Pusher
penguinpop1042
maybe a mob museum
02/18/2016 9:45 am
Level 32 : Artisan Dragon
Malaionus
Spaceship
01/15/2016 3:08 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Archer
qwEArfzwsertgredtyhr
Could I Do A "Coolest Monster Maze" Contest
09/22/2015 5:30 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Explorer
RenegadeRad
Well, I have a great project Idea,
I have great contest Idea, The Base Making contest. I have seen that the original Minecraft has "base" rather than a house in survival, The reason is mainly because Bases do not use a lot of resources, and offer protection and don't use a lot of resources. Also, they can be build anywhere.

So in this contest -

1) There will be 4 default maps given - Huge Tree or a forest, Cliff, Top of a City tower or a flat world. We will only have a specific area to build in, but the base design is your choice but, should not break the rule

2) You have to make a base, it should be "closed" and not to many rooms or overhyped, it should not look like a castle, fort or "like" a modern bunker

3) You have to make sure the block height inside is only 3 blocks high (This rule is optional)

4) There should be some main rooms - Control room, defence (battle area incase of incomming raiders or mobs), Living quaters, Meeting area, Storage, Lab testing and creation area, rooms for mates and a tower. not to long

5) Use of redstone is accepted, but not too much

6) No too much underground work.

More ideas in this is appreciated
11/03/2015 5:22 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
these arbitrary requirements seem like they would very much limit the possibilities of a project contest. Definitely not an option for a normal project contest. A solo contest might work, but how would you have it be shaped by those that build mostly for aesthetics, like myself?
also, where would you draw the line at "too many rooms" or "overyhyped"?

This might be a fun community contest, but with the rules you have outlined I doubt many people will be excited to take part in it as a project contest.

My own suggestion would be a post-apocalyptic theme.
Steve has acquired everything he could ever dream of, has had many and varied adventures. Now that he has settled down in his ultimate penthouse, A disaster happens that destroys most of the world.
The basic map could be a large wasteland with multiple craters and ruined skyscrapers. There would be no rule against editing the map (IMPORTANT), and the objective would be to show the ruins of the once great empire (or whatever you wish to call it) that Steve had assembled.
08/23/2015 12:55 am
Level 1 : New Miner
chillihotdog333
I think evil lairs is great because it includes all three points of Minecraft: Building, Survival and defense. I don't think it should be an average evil lair competition. Oh no, this should be a one of a kind competition. I say every competitor is released into to wildness with a survival pack (Food,Armor,Weapons,Tools) and then they have to make there way from there. I also think it would be much better if it was done on the mod pack Attack Of The B-Team. This would open up a whole different world of opportunities with Bibliocraft,Chisel mod,Furniture Mod. AOTBT is a great choice as it was made for evil minecraft scientists and doesn't the equation bellow prove my point?

Evil Scientists -> Evil Lairs
07/30/2015 10:55 am
Level 11 : Journeyman Scribe
Camarilla
WIth the new Snapshot (15aw31a) introducing such a drastically different End from what we used to know, I think that it would be pretty cool to design something using an End landscape.
07/29/2015 5:38 am
Level 1 : New Crafter
XxGoneGamingxX
The Heavens

Steve died after a gang of creepers blew of his head, but due to his good deeds and creativity god chose him as the architect of heaven now its his task to make a home to the gods.

Its a idea that just popped out of my head hope you guys like it.

You can check out my youtube for some good animations and Leave ideas for gameplays

http://www.youtube.com/c/godsgonegaming
07/29/2015 7:25 am
Ivain
Seems like a pretty promising option, though the head in the clouds contest comes VERY close.

Regardless, I'd like to see the usual big contest names find a way to get out of the classic temple approach.

And to be honest, after the meh-ness that is the underwater contest we need something that'll guarantee epic entries.
07/08/2015 2:01 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Archer
Selene011
bimonthly.

twice a month or every over month.

and also end empire

to go with nether empire.
06/10/2015 6:08 pm
Ivain
What I would really like is to have a contest that does not have a preset map. So far only 2 contests have been that way, and both are very old. The PMC spawn and the Survivalgames arena were those contests, and I think its time for another one.

Maybe make a Timetravel contest? Steve travels through time in a random direction and you get to decide where he ends up, ancient history or the far future. All you would need to have is the starter area pasted in, a small interior sphere that is the time machine (possibly TARDIS-like). For the rest you could decide for yourself. Or you could make an Alien Planet contest, where you make a map that represents an Alien civilization, and allows for bigger sizes than normal (max 2000x2000 instead of 1000x1000 for instance), with a longer contest period.
05/03/2015 2:37 am
TecnoWarrior
how about a Historic Place??
04/13/2015 11:01 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Pixel Puncher
Nakudan
Well before I came here I gave it a lot of thought into two ideas but for now I'll suggest one.

The first one that came to mind is a "Transportation" themed Minecraft Project.

In the current world of Minecraft, players need and more fun ways to get from one place to another rather than the usual hop and skip. So it would be up to the builder to showcase the most creative and time efficient way to get from one place to another where it would be from a launched Minecart upon slime blocks or boats that can skim across lava so that it cuts down time on getting across the Nether. All these entertaining ideas but the creation must be able to beat a hop and skip steve.

If you think its a good idea you can put some thought into making it happen and if you don't it will still be a fun concept
04/06/2015 10:56 am
Level 36 : Artisan Modder
creepershark77
A laboratory contest
03/28/2015 6:23 pm
Level 48 : Master Mountaineer
ParkVador
A terraforming contest would be very amazing.
03/23/2015 11:50 am
Level 43 : Master Creeper
Dr_Steve
How about a resource pack contest?
Lots of cool resource packs that exist out there We could show off our creativity
Lots of creativity!

What about a mod contest also? Good !
03/21/2015 7:33 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Narwhal
TripleBeat
A Build Contest for an Adventure Map for the History of Steve?

It already covers up the Backstory part, and can have a broad topic which tackles the Freedom of Interpretation. Hope this helps
03/19/2015 5:40 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Terraformer
ByTheBook7
How about a defensive build? Essentially Steve receives word that something/someone/etc. is coming and must prepare a build to withstand the assault.

1) Allow freedom of interpretation and creativity

By keeping who/what is coming vague will allow for freedom of builds ranging from modern strongholds to a maze holding back an army of invading chess pieces.
2) Wide range appeal but not main stream media
This would allow appeal to most anyone as the invading forces could be taken as anything in life that is threatening and how you as a person are going to respond.
3) Potential for a Minecraft back story / Custom map.
A back story could be included as to where Steve is located or what he's defending. This would allow for a custom map to be build as well.
03/03/2015 1:10 pm
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lava Rider
eagoy
Airships/transport vehicles?

Since the last contest was industrial revolution why not a some kind of airship/transport vehicles filled with provision for settling/colonizing in a new theme world (for the build contest after the airship/vehicles one).

The airships/vehicles doesn't need to be directly industrial but there is probably some way in the lore to fill up that kind of gap.
03/03/2015 7:25 am
TecnoWarrior
a space village or community. like Space Complex with space pod, space market. just like an ordinary town that is just built in space
03/02/2015 10:51 pm
Level 26 : Expert Artist
Lepidus_
Post-Apocalyptic maybe?

Other than that, I would have to recommend maybe a MegaBuild contest or such.

I dunno honestly. xD
01/26/2015 11:08 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Terraformer
ByTheBook7
An enjoyable theme might be a historical based build. This could be churches between the 1600s and 1800s, builds using old architectural styles (Corinthian, Ionic etc.), or perhaps focusing on a certain nation and building a pivotal moment for their history.

If fitting with the current Steve adventure, a time machine might be needed (if this is actually a concern).

Let's build History!
12/26/2014 5:38 pm
Level 27 : Expert Network
toomuchram
Retro Project!
12/21/2014 2:34 am
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Grump
Art Dei Tech
If there is a new build contest coming up, I'd like a christmas themed contest
12/04/2014 12:20 pm
Level 43 : Master Dragon
Bard Bard
how about pirates?
11/15/2014 3:20 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Architect
Emerald Drake
I think that a Castles and Forts contest would be a great concept and an entertaining contest for projects.
11/15/2014 2:42 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Archer
Elderhon
An adventure map/puzzle/parkour map contest, but letting people create their own world, so as to not restrict what they can do. It would allow for lots of creativity, and also generate new things for the community to play.
11/09/2014 1:03 pm
creepershark77
A parkour contest!
11/03/2014 3:50 pm
Bard Bard
alien city contest
10/26/2014 8:46 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Architect
Tommybom19
I think there should be a Texture pack Contest!
11/04/2014 4:27 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
Tamacraft123
Yeah! That would be very cool!
10/13/2014 4:27 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Fisherman
Reefripz
What about giant flowers.
09/07/2014 3:25 am
Level 39 : Artisan Fox
seriouswarrior
A contest for the best arena/multiplayer PVP map that you can fit into 4 chunks (that's a 2x2 chunk area, or a 32x32 block area).

It can be as tall or as short as you like.

It can have 50 stories or just one story.

It can be as challenging or as easy as you like.

It can be as dangerous or as safe as you like.

It can be as simple or as complex as you like.

It can have redstone or command blocks if you like.

It can pretty much be whatever you like.

The only thing is this: It must be comfortable enough for PVP combat, and it must be within the specified limit of a 32x32 block area.

Sound good?
08/27/2014 1:33 pm
creepershark77
Adventure maps take a long time to make so I doubt it.
08/28/2014 9:31 am
Level 55 : Grandmaster Technomancer
Headaxe
That's what you got build teams for.
I bet you could make a map on hypixel level with the right peeps within a month.
08/20/2014 2:12 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Technomancer
Headaxe
A minigame and adventure map contest would be awesome.
The redstoners on this site never really got a lot of attention and with this kind of contest you would give the attention that is needed, to have some nice new games on PMC.
A lot of small and short adventure maps and minigames are posted every day and the "big" people like Hypixel stopped making adventure maps as it seems.

This content would finally give the "map creators" new wind.
Maybe the next Hypixel or _disco could be born in this contest, so give it a shot.

Also, the fact we are talking about minigames and adventure maps doesn't mean, that builders would have no chance of entering.
You still need talented people for story, scenery and more.
08/07/2014 11:27 pm
Level 29 : Expert Architect
creepincreeper01
How about old world/ancient city theme? Something that predates American colonization or set around ancient civilizations like Mayan or ancient Rome or even Chinese dynasties.
The background story could be that Steve managed to find some sort of time traveling device or just went back in time in some way and for a twist something has to be made in order for him to return to present time such as a sacred gem or temple or something (and could even lead to another contest of him going to the future instead of the present and then have a futuristic themed contest).
Or another idea could be famous wars/battles of the world.
Just a couple of ideas
07/17/2014 3:19 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Scribe
checkeredmine
the derpy contest
06/28/2014 8:08 pm
creepershark77
We need a fortress contest, whoever makes the best fort for defensive purposes wins!
08/02/2014 10:02 am
Art Dei Tech
I agree with this guy, bunkers that reflect the previous world wars and its role in Minecraft fiction could be an interesting challenge...
06/26/2014 3:15 am
Bard Bard
ww2 map
it can be any where on any side
vehicles need to be realistic or better real but you can use these for them
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... tructures/
http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... tank-pack/

and you'll be able to use texture packs recommended
http://www.planetminecraft.com/texture_ ... ture-pack/
06/16/2014 12:11 pm
Art Dei Tech
PLZ STAHP WITH THE SKINS! After this contest, I really hope you actually make a project contest because too many skin contests have been made :/
06/15/2014 1:13 pm
creepershark77
Another skinning contest! Really?!
05/26/2014 4:11 pm
creepershark77
We need a minigame project by judging on playability, and if it functions correctly, not by looks.
05/22/2014 3:24 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
paintsniffer
Pirate themed, Europe themed, Wild West, Your neighbourhood, Castles, Organic etc etc etc. I'm sure plenty of experienced builders would be happy to judge if you asked them.
05/18/2014 7:24 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Lava Rider
eagoy
With the 1.8 update there will be slimeblocks officially introduced. With these blocks it becomes "much easier" to make self powered moving objects.

Example 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEkCAL6J90Y&list=UUM6SMzpg2xJv7V3noV2adjQ

Example 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a58YYlVhxk

It will be hard to make but with some rules like:
- Minimum of one directional self powered moving system.
- May, encouraged, use of launching platform. Timing is quite hard to get ready.

This is a specific redstone theme suggestion where the level of difficulty is probably a bit to high but an interesting challenge I think.
05/17/2014 7:19 pm
Level 29 : Expert Musician
Abbacadabra
Bigger on the inside contest!
05/13/2014 1:26 pm
Art Dei Tech
I agree, it is unlikely when a map making contest is actually held anytime soon, but it's probably reasonable to put them somewhere around summer, spring or winter holidays, giving more people a bit more time from work and school to work on this competition. I'm not saying it's better to do so for other people, but just a small suggestion.

Btw, I change my mind from a city to an epic boss battle. (command-and-redstone-heavy )
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome