PMC Server Top List

Cyprezz's Avatar Cyprezz3/30/12 5:38 pm
4 emeralds 22.5k 223
6/15/2013 11:26 pm
sage379's Avatar sage379
Today PMC launches a traditional method of ranking game servers, the Top List. This will be the primary ranking system for the server section from now on.

You'll find a link to vote for your favorite server(s) on it's PMC server page. Server owners can begin sharing that link with their members. At first the list will look odd but it won't take long for servers to adapt to the new system and the list have more meaning.

Server owners now have the option to upload a graphic 468x60 banner to represent their server.

Top List FAQ:
Q. Do I need to be a member of PMC to vote?
A: No.

Q. How often can I vote for my favorite server?
A: Once every 24 hours.

Q. How is the score computed for the top list?
A: Score = 1.5 * votes + .05 * days since server posted to PMC. As system evolves so will the algorithm.

Q. When is the score reset?
A: Top list score is reset every month.

Q. What happens if a server cheats?
A: Report them to a moderator. We'll look into it and depending on the situation, votes may be reduced, reset, or server page removed.

Q. Can I pay my way to the top?

The main goal is to make it easier to find the top servers on PMC and reward active and long standing servers.

Questions, comments, concerns? Post to this thread.

Edit: 4/3/12
I'm completely fine with the criticism of the system. I couldn't test it locally before launching because it's impossible to predict or simulate the live situation. I expect things feel off because of the abrupt change as well as issues in the system. The bugs will be fixed & things will be tweaked until it feels right including finding a balance between promoting new vs established servers. I appreciate & consider all of the suggestions to help reach that goal.

FAQ Update:
==========

Q: How are new servers supposed to get noticed now?
A: Setup, promote and maintain a quality server and PMC page. I will continue to tweak the vote system and servers page to funnel traffic more evenly between the established and new servers.
Today, I replaced the drop down that sorted by "Top List", "What's Hot", "Latest", etc was with a Tab style menu. This makes it extremely easy to see what you're browsing but more importantly the available alternatives. If someone wants to join a brand new server/community the list is one click away. Applied this change to all sections on PMC.
- Featured gallery continues to promote new servers that are rising in popularity as well as a 10% chance to promote the most popular. I will tweak that algorithm to pull from different time periods. I.E. Popular in last week, 2 weeks, month. This will give new servers that are running quality servers several chances to get an additional boost.

I do feel there should be more emphasis/reward on having an established server than being new. Many new servers don't last long, not because they don't get traffic, but because it takes some serious dedication to properly setup, maintain and promote their server. It's essentially a full-time job and takes a lot of organization and management skills to properly run a Minecraft server. Nothing is more frustrating than joining a server that disappears with your builds a few days later. Having PMC's default view of servers sorted by something as trivial as "last updated/posted" was a very poor recommendation to visitors. Now it's simply the visitors choice to browse by that method.

Q: Why are my votes / member votes blocked and claimed to be Spam?
A: I initially used the SORBS service to check IPs against their spam database. It apparently has half the Minecraft community flagged for spam. I disabled this check on 4/2/12. Today, I disabled another service that was blocking an unusually high amount of votes from sources of traffic that looked legitimate to me. The vote block methods will continue to evolve until a reasonable balance is found.

Q: Are you going to add support for Votifier?
A: Yes. Done.

Q: Are you going to add support for Minequery?
A: No, I'm gong to add Gamespy4 Protocol support. Provides same info but faster.

Q: Can you put our server banner on our server page?
A: Sure, good idea.
Cyprezz
Admin / Lead Developer
Level 71 : Legendary Cyborg

Create an account or sign in to comment.

06/15/2013 11:26 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
sage379
06/04/2013 3:46 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
mobcraftServer
come on my server mobcraftserver.no-ip.biz
07/10/2012 8:35 am
Level 1 : New Princess
YMBSway
Q. Do I need to be a member of PMC to vote?

might want to change that to Yes.

anyone who ever voted my server always had to register here
06/06/2012 5:23 am
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Architect
Cirquo
Fail
"Q: Are you going to add support for Minequery?
A: No, I'm gong to add Gamespy4 Protocol support. Provides same info but faster."

lol "I'm gong"
05/08/2012 7:46 pm
Level 25 : Expert Pirate
jakimfett
gruffnuts5 ...Nobody goes for the bumped servers, most go for the top server...my server used to get maxed out within one bump on pmc and what happens now, I got 0 people from it...such a let down and a disadvantage

This is exactly what I was getting at earlier in the thread. The old way was far, far better, at least for anyone who isn't in the top 10 list.

The new "voting" format is killing independent and small server, while rewarding the large servers for being, well, large.
05/08/2012 4:41 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Creeper Hugger
gruffnuts5
Think this is terrible, i know people have brought this up so many times BUT, Nobody goes for the bumped servers, most go for the top server such as pride pvp, It's such a disadvantage for new servers, Cause my server used to get maxed out within one bump on pmc and what happens now, I got 0 people from it, litrally i ask people when they join you seen the server on pmc they go no, i seen it on reddit. It's ridiculous, such a let down and a disadvantage
05/03/2012 7:46 pm
jakimfett
fatfreesmp
::snip quote about how there is no way these ideas could work::

NewLiberty
::snip long quote about server retention::

iderickson
::snip quote about quality vs quantity::

NewLiberty
::snip quote about how despite what iderickson said, he's still right::

Guys...completely missing the point.

My point is, indie servers are getting buried with this new system

My ideas aren't to be taken as 'serious solutions', but more 'an attempt in discovering how to best fix the problem'.

My point is, I want to discuss solutions...not be torn apart because someone thinks it might be hard to do (or 'impossible'), or that it would never work. I want discussion, not people running off on how a minor aspect of the idea would be tough to implement.

I don't have a solution. But there has to be a way to let new and indie servers get visibility without requiring that our players spam the vote button.
05/02/2012 2:23 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Architect
iderickson
NewLiberty:

High retention on a server does not necessarily equate with high popularity. Many of these servers that have high population and high retention are designing themselves to cater to a very large number of players. The method for doing this is allowing anything and everything on a server. Except for outright hacking the server, many of these servers allow anything and everything, including griefing.

For instance, the server that I help administrate caters to long-term good players. Although new players would find the server i admin initially restrictive, it is designed to supply a exquisite experience in that we can guarantee little to no griefing, and swift punishment for those who do grief.
05/02/2012 3:17 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Alien
NewLiberty
I should clarify what I meant. When I said retention, I meant of new players as opposed to long term players. Though long term retention and keeping your playerbase happy is obviously very important, when it comes to actually pushing your server to get bigger, keeping players who just log in casually for the first time is what is what I am referring to.
05/02/2012 2:11 pm
Level 27 : Expert Dragon
DAP
Sorry, didn't mean to quote that as him; that was from me.
05/02/2012 2:10 pm
DAP
fatfreesmp
onkoistudios
maybe there would need to be some sort of proof...say a screenshot of the "Properties" page (in Windows) or a screencap of the hardware specs window (or command line output) in Linux.

What if yours isn't a dedicated server? Maybe you purchased a good old fashioned server with no access to the main computer? How would you do it then? And also, if you were to say to take a screenshot of the main control panel, what if the person googled for a powerful server that has a control panel in Google Images? Or maybe inspected the element, and changed it to make it look stronger?
fatfreesmp And now for the real point...
WHY HASNT THE FREAKIN TOP LIST BEEN RESET YET!?!?!
Rage mode complete.

Please don't rage, it gets people annoyed, and is pretty much spam. Just say it in no caps.
05/02/2012 2:04 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Lumberjack
fatfreesmp
onkoistudios
maybe there would need to be some sort of proof...say a screenshot of the "Properties" page (in Windows) or a screencap of the hardware specs window (or command line output) in Linux.

A screen capture of properties? are you serious? Like that would be hard to fake/copy from elsewhere. Not to mention who is going to be verifying all these screen captures?

onkoistudiosCan you measure quality automatically? No. But you already measure number of updates. And based on the str_word_count php function, it's not impossible to count the number of words in an update. Does quantity=quality? No. But if large quantity is posted without quality, it's called spam...and is easier for community members to report if I as a server owner just copy+paste my update five times to get over the word limit.

What defines "quality"? If I copy little red writing hood into one of my update logs, will this "php function" be able to tell weather it's "spam" or "quality"?

And now for the real point...
WHY HASNT THE FREAKIN TOP LIST BEEN RESET YET!?!?!
Rage mode complete.
05/02/2012 1:55 pm
NewLiberty
In my opinion, as a large server owner, quality is often reflected by the size of your server (if you are going for size). This might not be a popular opinion, but in my opinion the idea that all these little servers have superior content or more dedicated staff and are only small because of the way advertisements work, while it obviously has some merit, has a lot less effect that is generally assumed in the long term.

As someone with a lot of experience with growth attraction, there are a few metrics you shoot for. One of them is certainly exposure, through voting sites, pmc, minecraftforums, youtube, etc. But as important, or more important in creating a server that maintains a sizable and stable population is the quality of the server.
If every server took a turn on the front page for a day and got 1000 view in that time, you would see a very large difference in the amount of growth each server actually attracted and maintained.

When your server is high quality, stable, runs smoothly and has something unique to offer players, you something called high retention. Retention is the most important element of server growth. This is manifested in the amount of players who log into your server who actually stay, (so that if you have high retention, you might keep 50/100 players vs. a server with a lot of exposure but low retention, might keep 25/300 players) and, something that gets ignored a lot, the amount of players on your server who invite their friends. This second metric is extremely important and is a huge part of building a stable and cohesive playerbase, and it is completely independent of the portrayed prevalence of server advertisement sites.

The point of this being, quality servers, if they are active in their advertisements, regardless of the exact method that the sites they advertise use, generally will grow, and will then become large servers themselves, attaining high exposure on those sites biased to large servers, and thus be rewarded for their quality and encourage high quality servers.

This way low quality servers do not get a disproportionate amount of attention, because of the difficulty of breaking into that realm of larger servers.

P.S. In a merit based system, parameters like length of update logs and server specs really should already be rolled into the size/reviews of the server and do not need a separate parameter, that would just immediately be bypassed by people writing long tutorials and spam in their update logs and people lying about their server specs (Spoken as someone who details just about every change I do in every patch, and who has very good specs on their server)
05/02/2012 11:37 am
jakimfett
DaAwesomePwner
onkoistudios
As for the hardware...a server running off some kid's laptop should rank lower than a dedicated server...

I would think this is unfair, because what if you don't have the money? You should still be able to have a chance! Maybe that "kid" is collecting money to buy a better server? Not everybody has the money to buy a 12gb dedicated server with 3.2ghz processor

From original post:
Cyprezz
I do feel there should be more emphasis/reward on having an established server than being new. Many new servers don't last long, not because they don't get traffic, but because it takes some serious dedication to properly setup, maintain and promote their server. It's essentially a full-time job and takes a lot of organization and management skills to properly run a Minecraft server.

I get that not everybody has the cash to get that sort of hardware. But according to Cyprezz (unless I'm missing the point of this bit), that's kinda the point. It takes serious dedication to run a server, both in time and money...not to mention patience and perseverance.

Cyprezz goes on to say...
Cyprezz
The main goal is to make it easier to find the top servers on PMC and reward active and long standing servers.

Questions, comments, concerns? Post to this thread.

Well...that's what I was aiming at. Something that actually rewards long standing servers...servers that have been carefully maintained, updated, and upgraded over time.

ParilIt sounds nice, but it would severely limit the ability for newer servers to push to the top, and pretty much strangle indie servers.

I did mention that my "indie" server is being strangled, didn't I? Previous to this change, I would get between 12 and 20 new players each time I posted an update. Not all of them would stick around, but I normally gained one or two decent players from each update.

Now? I sometimes don't get any people after an update. Hardly ever more than five. I have to post at least twice, sometimes three or four times before I get someone who actually wants to have fun and build something awesome, who will become a long term player.

ParilAlso, anybody could lie about their specs, so that's not going to do much. Update "quality" can't be measured automatically either, and having to enter that stuff manually would be too much work for our staff.

Sure, and anyone can use the TOR network, a proxie, or their parent's computer to upvote their own server. Anything can be scammed. And maybe there would need to be some sort of proof...say a screenshot of the "Properties" page (in Windows) or a screencap of the hardware specs window (or command line output) in Linux.

Can you measure quality automatically? No. But you already measure number of updates. And based on the str_word_count php function, it's not impossible to count the number of words in an update. Does quantity=quality? No. But if large quantity is posted without quality, it's called spam...and is easier for community members to report if I as a server owner just copy+paste my update five times to get over the word limit.
ParilBasically, what you're asking for is to keep your server at the top of the list simply because it's been running longer. This isn't how these lists should work, and is extremely biased.

So you want the servers ranked based on the number of sheeple I can get to click the "Vote for this server" button every day this month?

I don't want my server ranked higher because it's been online longer. I want something that gives visibility to small, well maintained, stable servers with a small community. Maybe what would work best is a way to sort by max players, or link the number of projects on that specific server to the server's rating.

I'm just trying to suggest things that might keep indie servers like mine from dying.
05/02/2012 10:32 am
Level 20 : Expert Miner
fadel
A good idea ould be to make a new group called, server reviewers, they review some servers and then they can give it a grade.
05/02/2012 11:17 am
Level 32 : Artisan Taco
FoxOfDoom
In my opinion, not the best idea. First, that sounds like you want a team that manually reviews servers. With 35,000+ servers and counting, so that's just a ridiculous idea to start with. Second, we already have trouble with these 'Official Server Reviewers', so lets throw actual reviewers into this? I mean this has it's own pros and cons, but I just think the cons out number the pros by such a large amount that it just makes this idea seem somewhat silly to begin with.. Just my opinion on this. Anyone feel free to add onto this~
05/02/2012 11:01 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
Slugshead
Hi, im from planet minecraft. I've come to review your server.
05/02/2012 11:04 am
Level 37 : Artisan Blob
Nox Aeterna
05/02/2012 3:10 am
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
Basically, what you're asking for is to keep your server at the top of the list simply because it's been running longer. This isn't how these lists should work, and is extremely biased.

-P
05/02/2012 3:07 am
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
It sounds nice, but it would severely limit the ability for newer servers to push to the top, and pretty much strangle indie servers. Also, anybody could lie about their specs, so that's not going to do much. Update "quality" can't be measured automatically either, and having to enter that stuff manually would be too much work for our staff.

-P
05/02/2012 3:08 am
DAP
This too. Anybody could lie, therefore it would never be accurate
05/02/2012 3:05 am
DAP
onkoistudios
As for the hardware...a server running off some kid's laptop should rank lower than a dedicated server. And a dedicated server with 1gb of RAM should rank lower than a custom built cluster server that runs with upwards of 8gb.

For me personally, I'm running a set of linked blade servers, primary with dual Xeon 3.2ghz processors, hardware RAID 1+0 @12gbps and 12gb of RAM, backup blade is dual Xeon 2.8ghz processors, hardware RAID 1 and 6gb of RAM. No kid has access to that sort of hardware, and even if they did, they wouldn't have a clue as to how it should all be configured.

For the tl;dr summary:
Hardware and the quality of updates should make a difference in the server rating.

I would think this is unfair, because what if you don't have the money? You should still be able to have a chance! Maybe that "kid" is collecting money to buy a better server? Not everybody has the money to buy a 12gb dedicated server with 3.2ghz processor
05/02/2012 3:02 am
jakimfett
As a server owner who has gained most of his players from Planet Minecraft, I would like to ask that another two metrics be considered in the server score: The number of updates, with a multiplyer based on the length of them, and the server hardware.

For the updates part, I've had my server online for just over a year. I'm serious about doing this long term, and have invested in some fairly decent server hardware to make sure my server is going to stay online.

But without the exposure from the updates I've written since I posted my server here on PMC last December, I would have very few players. Now that this new system is in place, the flow of players has dwindled, and it's mostly just my long time players who are online anymore. My 20ish steady players can't compete with servers like the current leader, Pride PVP (server profile at http://www.planetminecraft.com/server/pridepvp-123-bukkit-working-plugins-first-to-update-factions-pvp-griefing-stealing-rading-611829/), which has 7,955 votes.

The thing is...what I can compete in is content. Take a look at Pride PVP's 69 updates. A lot of them are one or two liners. Some of them actually make it to five or seven lines...but some of them have less than five words.

Now, go take a look at my updates (Server profile at http://www.planetminecraft.com/server/onkoi-studios-minecraft/, then click the updates tab).

See the difference? Sure, I've got a short post or two...but most of my posts have good solid information, fully paragraphs describing the most recent plugin I've installed, or informing the players about the most recent hardware upgrade. And you might also notice...despite the fact that I have real content, at 68 updates I have only one less update (at the time of posting this) than Pride PVP.

I don't know if this means anything. I also don't know if it means anything that in the entire time my server has been online, the map has only reset 3 times, and 2 of those 3 maps are still accessible right now (demonstrating long term stability), or that I put in 20+ hours per week acting as admin for this server (demonstrating commitment). I don't know if it means anything that I run a complex suite of griefing, hacking, and annoyance protection plugins so that my players can build awesome things without fear of destruction. Maybe none of this should be taken into account, or maybe it should.

But I would like to submit that it would make long time, content rich servers feel much more valued.

As for the hardware...a server running off some kid's laptop should rank lower than a dedicated server. And a dedicated server with 1gb of RAM should rank lower than a custom built cluster server that runs with upwards of 8gb.

For me personally, I'm running a set of linked blade servers, primary with dual Xeon 3.2ghz processors, hardware RAID 1+0 @12gbps and 12gb of RAM, backup blade is dual Xeon 2.8ghz processors, hardware RAID 1 and 6gb of RAM. No kid has access to that sort of hardware, and even if they did, they wouldn't have a clue as to how it should all be configured.

For the tl;dr summary:
Hardware and the quality of updates should make a difference in the server rating.
05/02/2012 1:19 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Miner
shadecrest
Users with underscores in their name do not get rewards when used with votifier.
05/01/2012 9:36 pm
fatfreesmp
I understand but it would be nice to at least get SOME kind of update on when/if this "top list" will be reset...
05/01/2012 7:13 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Turtle
Palaeos
Cyprezz has been busy and may not know about the issue or may not have had a chance to fix it quite yet, there are many things he's working on at any time so there are bound to be issues here and there.
05/01/2012 7:09 pm
fatfreesmp
I just LOVE how they say it will reset monthly, then don't reset, and don't make a peep about it... AWESOME.
05/01/2012 4:03 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
Slugshead
When are we resetting??
05/01/2012 3:12 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
meshein
Nothing has reset... Why?
04/30/2012 5:44 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
Allztar
Someone posted my server and i want it deleted.
IP: mc-tc.mclayer.com
PORT: 25565
Owner: oOAllstarRoxOo (ME)
04/30/2012 7:38 am
FoxOfDoom
I suggest you take a look at these links.
How to Report Server Issues | Server Ownership Verification
04/29/2012 8:20 pm
FoxOfDoom
loudram
ok thank you! (cyprezz should make you a mod. you help a lot of people on the site)

[8:18:20 PM] Paril: oh I see
[8:18:21 PM] Paril: tell him you already are.
[8:18:25 PM] Paril: undercover
[8:18:33 PM] WolfOfDoom: Heh~ Alright xP
04/29/2012 7:43 pm
Level 29 : Expert Dragonborn
loudram
loudram
WolfOfDoom
loudram
ok it works. does it only work once every 24 hours? or could i do like 1-2 if they're both important?

You can only update your server every 24 hours, but feel free to add info if you need to.

ok thank you! (cyprezz should make you a mod. you help a lot of people on the site)
04/29/2012 1:55 pm
loudram
cyprezz i had a server that i wanted to post, but i couldn't do it. (it's a whole story) however my server had a tiny spawn. it wasn't that good, but not as good as it is now. so the server wasn't all that good when i posted it, there was no room in the spawn. it was horrible. so everyone left. so i expanded my spawn and made it bigger. it would've been a great server except people weren't coming on. i wanna show my server to be shown again, but i couldn't do it. i just need a second chance to show my server again. and your "recently updated" page makes no sense. i tried changing stuff on the server page, but my server never popped up there. so my main question is, how can i get my server on the Recently updated page"?
04/29/2012 4:15 pm
FoxOfDoom
You updated it correctly~ Note that the 'Recently Updated' list doesn't update instantly. Check a few minutes after you updated and you should see your server on the list. Also note that blatant update log abuse will result in your server submission being disabled/taken down all together (Update log abuse: Fake updates, updates such as 'rd9u3bwf' or other random messages and what not, etc.)
04/29/2012 5:32 pm
loudram
ok it works. does it only work once every 24 hours? or could i do like 1-2 if they're both important?
04/29/2012 6:08 pm
FoxOfDoom
You can only update your server every 24 hours, but feel free to add info if you need to.
04/29/2012 7:42 pm
loudram
ok thank you!
04/29/2012 4:10 pm
NewLiberty
You need to use the "Update Log" feature.

Try making an update notice like "We redid our spawn and changed x, y, z, etc."
04/24/2012 2:02 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Architect
mkisner328
So i just wana make sure i got this clear... you CANNOT give any kind of in game currency, items, etc... for votes correct?
04/24/2012 2:30 pm
Level 40 : Master Network
ZaphodX
You can give rewards for voting. There is Votifier support.

However you CANNOT bribe people to diamond or favourite your submission.
04/26/2012 12:55 am
Level 33 : Artisan Architect
Legionarius
Any idea if the first of May will bring Top List back as the default tab rather than recently updated being the default?
04/21/2012 11:00 am
Level 23 : Expert Creeper
Im_Real_Now
my server's score stays at 0, although using your equation for determining score, it should be much higher
04/16/2012 12:22 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Modder
GetDraped
I actually do like this system, although I'm having trouble with Votifier. It does not notify members, if I need to make a custom Listener, I can do that, as I code Bukkit plugins, but this seems like its PMC's end. I'd appreciate if you could look into it!
04/15/2012 12:06 am
NewLiberty
Been experiencing a bug where a player named "Lazy_Days" repeatedly does not get rewarded by votifier because it is always sent to votifier as "LazyDays". I have not tested this with other underscore names yet.

Also, it seems like the votes are once every 24 hours, from your last vote, In my opinion, have them all reset at the same time each day, every 24 hours is a better system and lets people vote when they can during the day instead of trying to get there as soon as they can after they voted the previous day.
04/15/2012 12:09 am
NewLiberty
Tested it again, with another name and the same thing happened.
04/14/2012 7:26 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Mage
mattdholloway
Just something I thought might be good, but is probably just adding to the reasons the TopList isn't good is that perhaps you should add a paying system where you donate a certain amount and get a spot at the top, but the prices should be cheap like mcserverstatus instead of having a bid system... I don't know!
04/14/2012 6:01 pm
FoxOfDoom
I highly doubt that will ever be a possibility. Cyprezz even said so himself in the original post:

Cyprezz
Q. Can I pay my way to the top?
04/13/2012 11:02 am
Level 9 : Apprentice Architect
Quick_Pull
i This stupid new system so much! now i only get 2 people to join my server when i repost!!!
04/13/2012 4:42 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Architect
Legionarius
I do not mean to insult by pointing this out, but Cyprezz, this guy is the embodiment of what is wrong with leaving the recently updated as the default instead of Top List. Every server on the top list is there because they have made a major effort at development.

This is a quote from Kripys' server thread that he keeps reposting:

"WE do not have a very great spawn yet but we're working on.
to get the spawn done quicker, We need some ideas of what to build!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We will have many more ranks When we install the correct permissions file ."

This does not sound like the polished gameplay most minecrafters are looking for when they come onto PMC looking for a server.

I spent 2 full months developing our spawn before opening so that aesthetics blended with functionality. Yet your current system means Kripys will get more traffic to his server and he doesn't even know what permissions are...

I see no reason to waste anymore time with recently updated as the default. You yourself said it is a broken and flawed system, so I simply don't understand the benefit of leaving it as the default.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome