Is PMC a 'Waste of time'?

Stubbs1's Avatar Stubbs14/24/15 10:01 pm
4/26/2015 9:54 am
StingRay_FTW's Avatar StingRay_FTW
Hello everyone.
I hope the title got your attention… Good.

A few days ago a user from PlanetMineCraft posted a blog about a subject that most of us don’t want to think about.

As the Title suggests: “Is PMC a waste of Time?”
In the comment section of the blog we just talked about, many people commented with their own opinion on this very subject. So did I post a comment with my opinion on it.

The Blog
The Blog:
The user who posted the blog says that she/he could have spent way more time on anything else in life, than “Wasting her/his time on PMC”. I’ll just let her/him explain:

I'm afraid that I've invested so much in Planet Minecraft rather than other things I could've done with that time. I think about how all this work on PMC won't really help me in my life. I won't be a famous PlanetMinecrafter, there are far far more successful people in the field. I'm level 55 right now and there's like people in the 90s with literally 100,000s of views and 1000 diamonds on a single work. What am I?”

This was one of the things about the blog that brought up my attention to this subject.

The Comment Section
The comment section:
In the comment section a Lot of users were coming up with reasons why PMC isn’t a waste of time, and some of them are quite good. I’ll just let them explain it themselves:

Remember that for almost all of us here at PMC, our lives
have been changed by Minecraft and the people who play
it. It's like back in the lost MMORPGs. I don't regret spending
3 years in Minecraft; it has gave me a massive amount of
experience, made me meet a lot of people and look at things in
a different perspective, and enhanced my creativity. I would be
proud to put "server owner" in my resume.

Though a comment showed up that really caught my interest in discussing this subject further than where it currently is:

The "I waste my time on PMC" isn't wrong, but neither is right. You see:

The things you do when you're on PMC isn't always "A waste of your time". But it's mostly up to yourself HOW you want to spend your time on PMC.
Example: I spend a Lot of time giving positive response to other users. What have I gained through that? Well an example is that I've got a LOTS of new Online-Friends that I can play with, and some of them have actually become close friends.

So overall: PlanetMineCraft is a Community. This isn't a place where you get Famous (That's called YouTube). This is a place where you have to make your Own decisions. You may not be the most creative person in the world, and you may think you suck at everything.
But this is a Community. You just have to be a part of it, before it'll be seen as it not being "A waste of time
"

Another user then replies:

But what is the point of having online friends if playing videogames is also a waste of time?

The answer then goes by the quotes:

Well, a human being needs three basic things in life to live:

1) Water, Food, Shelter, Oxygen, and Sleep - The basics of human life

2) Education, school, and learning new things - The basics of getting a job.

3) Friends, people to talk with, support, and entertainment (Games you play with friends is under this category) - The basics of not getting any mental problems (This makes you able to Live without being depressed, stressed, or feeling like ending your life. )

Overall: Online Friends can make a HUGE difference in Your life. They are the ones who will keep you away from depression, and other social disorders.
That's why taking part of a game, talking with friends online, and/or taking part of a community (PlanetMineCraft) is, and Will always be important for humankind.

What is your
opinion on this subject?

Leave an answer below why you think PMC is/isn’t a waste of your time.

Have a nice day everyone!

Edit:
Have a look at the Blog and Comments yourself here: (Clicky Clicky)
Stubbs1
Retired Moderator
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Senpai

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/26/2015 9:54 am
Level 27 : Expert Blacksmith
StingRay_FTW
Hmm, let us review the reasons that PMC exists:
1.Share what you've made for the game called 'Minecraft'
2.Get tips on how to improve your creations (texture packs, skins, animations, renders, mods, servers, builds, you get the point)
3.Get help from other Minecraft players on things technology wise and other kinds of help in the forums
4.Talk about whatever you want in the chat (not whatever, but you get the point)
5.PMC is no different from Steam or even video games in general, if PMC's a waste of time then video games and Steam are too
04/26/2015 9:48 am
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Fox
kenofox
Hullo coming in here. Yes PMC for me is a waste of time--- To an extent. At least for me, but for people that uses PMC, I don't understand other communities like skin , texture pack, mods or etc, but I'm sure they like to look at things other people posts. I tend to post buildings for people to look at for that reason. Sure there are great builds on them everyday. I like to "waste my time" posting my projects on here as well but in hopes to provide people with what they might find enjoyable to look at and whatnot. Besides, What's not fun about trying to watch your experience points go up everytime you upload something worthwhile looking at? Hur hee hee hur hur.
04/26/2015 9:38 am
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Architect
Xoyjaz
Well lets see
First of all saying pmc is a waste of time is just totally random from the topic. But I kinda get it.
But if the topic is asking everyone and questioning their status on pmc than this topic is right to be a forum post for everyone to discuess. Beacuse, what is your time worth? Not everyone runs on the same principles. I mean, if you like spending time on PMC that is fine. If thats what you really like to do and you deticate your time to minecraft and pmc than no its not a waste of time. Beacuse you need to enjoy everything you do, eventually we all are going to fly one day so why not do the thing you like?
What I would say though is PMC ruining you social life a bit when using so much time on it?
Thats something else, is it effecting everyone around you irl. Do spend less time with the people you grew up with?
Now thats the real question, but if PMC is a waste of time. Never
04/25/2015 9:09 pm
Level 1 : New Network
Sky Lair
Isn't everything in life a waste of time?
04/26/2015 6:58 am
Stubbs1
Man this Thread is really being dark now... o_O
04/25/2015 8:06 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
PixelCrash_
As long as you don't spend too much time on PMC or allow it to interfere with real life, it isn't a waste of time. Interacting with the community and seeing the latest and greatest minecraft creations is a great way to relax. PMC probably won't help you develop a skill or make you a better person, but calling it a waste of time is far too extreme.
04/25/2015 7:22 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Prince
sssilver
if it's not interfering with homework, school, work, ect, then no, i don't think it's a waste of time. It's entertainment, much like watching movies or playing minecraft itself.
04/25/2015 5:38 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
What is a "waste of time"?

PMC is as much of a waste of time as TV, Minecraft itself, gaming, working in a job where you won't ever get CEO, living in a world that you may or may not get famous in, and taking a bath more than once a year.

It all depends on what YOU consider a waste of time, because ultimately? You can call anything a waste of time and provide the same amount of reason why it should be a waste to everyone else.

It's as rupert said... best off waste time where you would want to waste it...
04/25/2015 5:36 pm
Level 43 : Master Dragon
Bard Bard
everything is a waste of the short time the universe will be around for, you just need to know what you would prefer to waste it on...
04/25/2015 5:22 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Nerd
Irish
What Kirito said.

Sure, at the end of they day PMC is a waste of time, but if you enjoy it then what else is there do to during your free time?
04/25/2015 2:38 pm
Level 27 : Expert Mage
The Silver Paladin
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.
-John Lennon
04/25/2015 2:31 pm
Level 47 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrfis
everything is a waste of time if you think about it
04/25/2015 7:17 pm
Stubbs1
Is it now that were getting that dark, as in "Everything is a waste of time" cuz were all going to die?
wow... xD
04/25/2015 1:26 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Artist
SmileycorpMC
-snip-
04/25/2015 12:29 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Pirate
LCD75
It's a good waste of time or a bad waste of time depending on who you are, I'm leaning towards "good" cause that's my stance.
04/25/2015 12:12 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Pig
sso2
Yes, PMC is a waste of time, so is TV, videogames, youtube, and stuff like that
but its a FUUUN Waste of time. Something most people wont mind wasting there time on. I do admit that im not much into PMC anymore, you can tell by looking at my recent blogs.

Though im probably never going to post another skin on PMC :/
04/25/2015 12:05 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Taco
Johnanater
It's not a waste of time if you enjoy it.
04/25/2015 12:04 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Blob
Speedy
I don't like most people on PMC (or people in general), but I've met some pretty cool people on here, really got me into digital art and stuff. Honestly, if I hadn't joined PMC a year and a half ago, I feel like I'd be a totally different person. The website as a community is getting a little stale though, which is why I've been spending less time on here and also currently not an active skinner.
04/25/2015 11:43 am
Level 48 : Master Blockhead
Happs
In my humble opinion I consider PMC a waste of time. People today waste time doing a lot of things, whether that's playing video games or scrolling through newsfeeds on Facebook, Twitter or even Reddit(I myself love to use Imgur and Reddit, they are bae).

Yet, even though I consider PMC a waste of time, my time on PMC has been pretty great. I've met people and through PMC I can say I've matured as a person. Maybe it's a coincidence, maybe, but the people I've met on this site have changed me. This site has taught me that friends come and go, that the world isn't perfect but that doesn't mean you should sulk about. If I could go back to when I first started using PMC I would do it all again, from the hours in the Chatroom to the time I made Minecraft skins.

TL;DR: I think PMC is a waste of time, but in my experience it's been pretty awesome and I wouldn't mind wasting my time again and again.
04/25/2015 8:27 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Farmer
Lex The Gallade
I only rly use PMC for machinima content, map content and servers. Eehhh I like to show off my skinning prowess too.
04/25/2015 8:16 am
Level 27 : Expert Fish
Blobfish
In my opinion, a lot of things people do are a "waste of time". A lot of things people do for fun wont actually help you in life, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do any of it. Take watching TV for example. Almost everybody does it, but does it actually help you with anything? No. But does that mean nobody should do it? Almost everything people do for fun the internet will be useless in real life, but as long as your not doing these kind of things all day without doing anything else, none of it is really a "waste of time".
04/25/2015 5:22 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Scribe
Skaldas
It's only wasted time if you allow it to be.
04/25/2015 5:17 am
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
cakeface
I love PMC, it isn't really a waste of time if you frequently play Minecraft.
04/25/2015 12:50 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Scribe
LetsGoTrippin
This
04/25/2015 2:37 am
Level 42 : Master Necromancer
candle_
Just as much a waste of time as playing video games, making small talk, or following sports. Not everything is about efficiency. It's only a waste of time if you don't get any enjoyment out of it, imo.

For me it's certainly not a waste of time as it's given me, who is a very introverted person, as well as someone extremely uncomfortable with themselves to the point of finding basic conversation very difficult, friends.

Even if it's just online it helps my mental state greatly.
04/25/2015 6:05 am
Level 39 : Artisan Dolphin
Masq
I agree with Candlebor. Let's take a 10 year old as an example; how is spending a couple of hours on PMC any different to spending a couple of hours watching TV? I think that PMC provides a much-needed platform for communication amongst all users: the more you get to chat to different people around the site, the more you learn about different cultures, different ways of life, you grow more confident to talk to more people and you enjoy their company.

PMC may not be the most effective way to spend an afternoon, but I wouldn't call it a waste at all! Personally, PMC has improved my writing/blogging skills, developed lasting friendships with people and the most important thing (not necessarily for me but for some others) is that PMC provides a needed escapism from the hard times in the real world.

Maybe people shouldn't spend all of their time fixated on this website, but just like a diet: in moderation, PMC is healthy and allows us to grow and develop as humans.
04/25/2015 2:30 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Cowboy
Jex_Infinite
I use PMC for the sole reason of the anime hub. If I'm not there, I'm probably wasting time.
04/25/2015 2:17 am
Level 7 : Apprentice Mage
TheAnonymousHuman300
That depends. Technically it won't help me get anywhere in life. I can't code and won't get a job doing computer stuff( Yes that's how much of a noob I am, I say "computer stuff"). I can't skin and won't get a creative job doing art and design. I have enough friends "in the real world" though the advantage to PMC is I "meet" people from around the globe. But PMC is still important to me. It's the place I can go on and on about the medieval village I'm building and not get weird looks. It's the place where I can use the word "respawn" in a sentence and not get weird looks. I think that while it won't get me anywhere in life, I still enjoy PMC( and minecraft) so for me anyway I think that PMC is not a waste of time (sorry about all the words. I could just about send this in as my english essay)
04/25/2015 1:41 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Prince
FlameAV
yah its a waste of time. Dont ban me paril
04/25/2015 8:02 am
Stubbs1
That's an interesting opinion, but may I ask why you think PMC is a waste of your time?
04/25/2015 1:32 am
Level 26 : Expert Ranger
Puor
It's only waste of time if you don't enjoy it or get anything positive out of it.
04/25/2015 1:11 am
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai
PlunderPixels
It depends on the person. i haven't made any major friends via PMC. In honesty this is a broad subject that really applies to anything. I've made more friends by doing other things online than on PMC. It depends on the person. I don't think it's a waste of time but I don't think its the best choice of mine here. I could be hanging out with my girlfriend or with friends, which I do but I choose to allocate at least an hour a day to talking to people online and participating in the coding and gaming community.
04/25/2015 12:45 am
Level 57 : Grandmaster Lad
ThatCobblestoneGuy
I'm just casually enjoying my time interacting with the community. I honestly see no issue with it, and I don't see it as wasting time.
04/24/2015 10:40 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Skinner
Derpymun
I just read dat blog 0.0
04/24/2015 10:33 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
Foxy
If you use the site for then then it's not really any different from other pastimes
04/24/2015 10:33 pm
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
I should note that it's pretty shifty not to provide a link to the blog or at least credit the creator of said blog. It's very one-sided, like you don't want us to read the rest of their blog to figure out the context for ourselves.
04/24/2015 10:36 pm
Stubbs1
My reason for not bringing the creators name and that stuff up, is that I don't want to disturb anyone by sharing without asking them.
But as I understand, what your trying to say is that I Should put a link to the Blog down below... I'll do that then
04/24/2015 10:06 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
OfficiallBlox
PMC can help you get popular and gain experience in many areas of life, such as advertising and making things look professional.
I disagree that PMC is a 'waste of time'.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome