Leostereo's Q&A thread! Will answer (almost) any questions.

Leostereo's Avatar Leostereo12/6/12 4:24 pm
1 emeralds 5.5k 326
5/5/2013 1:16 pm
Lunamore's Avatar Lunamore
Thought I'd make a thread where you can ask me questions and I'll do my best in giving an answer. I am currently receiving quite a lot of random questions in my submissions, who I feel are often very irrelevant, so gathering them here feels like a better idea. I also get a lot of questions in PMs, but here everyone can read them.

Rules and guidelines:
No inappropriate questions.
No too personal questions. I have some information on my profile, so you can read that before asking anything.
Do not ask me if I can subscribe to you. I will subscribe by myself to the people I want.
Refrain from asking too wide questions, for example "How do you make such good skins?". I prefer questions I can answer without a wall of text.
Please write in as proper English as you can, otherwise it will look as if you're not being serious. If you have several questions, make the layout easy to read and follow.
Not too keen on giving feedback on a million skins, I prefer questions with just text.
Do not spam.
Try keeping it relatively short.
Do not ask me to join your server, group, try your mod etc.
No requests.

Feel very free to:
Ask as many questions as you want. Don't expect me to notice questions you have edited in later.
Ask about random stuff. It does not have to be PMC related.
Come back any time and ask a question, I'll read them all.

That's about it! I hope this is a good idea and something you guys want.

Enjoy!

Previous questions and answers (outdated because I am lazy):
Click to reveal
christmasplocould you make me a skin?

Eh, no. Just looking to answer questions here, not do requests.

PurgoDid you ever think you would get this popular?

Not necessarily. I had been a bit successful with a collab texture pack called Jungle Ruins (www.minecraftforum.net/topic/541439-16x19%E3%80%90jungle-ruins%E3%80%91discontinued/) before I started here on PMC. I knew I had some skill when it came to texturing, but I didn't expect myself to get hundreds of thousands of downloads. I also didn't know that skinning would eventually become my big thing.

Either way, I didn't become famous in a day, so it didn't really feel any special.

SequaxHave any tips for an aspiring PMC'er?

Make sure you get connections with people who can help you out with improving on whatever you're doing. By improving your work you will eventually become more and more known. Also, make sure you provide quality submissions, regardless of the quality of the actual object you're submitting. Good grammar and layout is always nice, makes you look more serious too.

Gorillaz_101Do you play Minecraft or just make skins?

Now I just make skins. When it comes to gaming I now pretty much only play League of Legends and TF2.

PrinterPlayerWhat games do you play other than MC?

I answered this in a previous post, but League of Legends and TF2 mostly.

11volt11Your skins are known for contrast and the large range of shades you use; when did this technique emerge in your skins?

Look at my skin submissions from time uploaded. Should give you a pretty good view and timeline on my techniques.

ShanePurePickaxe2Anyone inspire you?

As in a skinner or texture pack maker? I have always loved Wayukian Pack (www.minecraftforum.net/topic/220918-16x142-wayukian-pack-on-a-holiday-until-november-25-200k-downloads/), I know I'll most likely never be able to be in her league, but she has some of the most amazing work I have ever seen. She's a good inspiration when it comes to coloring.

I am also a big fan of halucid and his skins. He is very good at the layout and design.

NuclearBananaWill you ever be able to check out my skins, and my work?

I can check them out, but as I stated in the OP I am not looking to give feedback on skins and similar.

THEHUNGERGAMESGUYI want know if my skin's are good. because if you think there alright they have to be pretty good cause your like the best Skinner you would know if my skins are bad or good i was just curious?

Not looking to give feedback here, but yours are okay. Nothing too special, but not bad either.

Ploopyandproud
Leostereo
I'ma say 1.79.

Close, Very close

Booyah!

peytonisgreatWhat are your personal favorite texture packs? Just out of curiosity.

Wayukian Pack, Eldpack, Doku's RPG (the old one), Jolicraft, Tooncraft and some more.

ONI_LINKWhat are your views in the magic if Christmas?

Hey you didn't think I would ask a serious question now did you?

It's FUN-tastic!

SquareNexusAre you any good at other types of art, than just skins? Drawing or painting or something like that ?

I guess you could say I am somewhat decent at drawing, at least on the computer (MS Paint, derp). I don't really do any other "art" than the skins and textures I do.

i_love_mincraftwhat gave you the idea of doing this thread

It's fun answering questions, and I'm sure people like it too.

HatsyaSoujiDo you have plans to showcase your skinning works to other sites, like DeviantArt, and or Pixiv.net (Japanese)?

Nah, I'll keep my skinning to Planet Minecraft. I've uploaded a few skins on the Skindex though.

Aether_AngelWould you rather be poor and work at a job you love or be rich and work at a job you hate? Why?

Would you rather take an ice cold shower and be clean or not shower at all? Why?

Would you rather lick someone else's armpit or have someone else lick your armpit? Explain.

Would you rather be blind or deaf? Tell me why.

Would you rather have your flight delayed by 8 hours or lose your luggage? Because of?

1. Depends on how poor/rich. Can I live with normal standards and have a steady job I really enjoy I think I'd prefer that. A full time job is a lot of time each week. You wouldn't want to waste that.

2. This is also dependent. Ice cold (almost frozen) might be dangerous to shower in. If it was cold, but not dangerously cold I'd probably shower as normally. I'd get used to it.

3. Have someone else lick my armpit. My tongue has two senses, my armpit only one. But this also depends on who I would have to lick/who would lick me.

4. Deaf, I find seeing much more useful than hearing considering that I spend a lot of time at the computer. I would suck to not being able to play guitar very properly though.

5. Flight delayed 8 hours. Luggage is expensive, and will probably contain more personal things. 8 hours is just a bit of time.

Imbeast11Did you do any kind of digital art before you started minecraft skins, possibly any kind of fan art for a different game?

Lots of Minecraft textures. Not any other kind of art or for any other game though.

PyroDalmatianHey Leo, I really like your skins/ shading style. Did you start out as a skinner? Or with another area of PMC.

Thanks.

Minecraft texture packs. That's where I began, look at my submission dates.

Arenten564When you played Minecraft, did you play Singleplayer or Multiplayer? If you played Multiplayer, did you play factions/pvp or towny/no pvp?

I played both about equally much. When I played multiplayer it was a lot with IRL friends on unmodded servers that we hosted. There we just fooled around, built towns, all legit. The SMP servers I've played on have mostly been RPG ones with towns and leveling etc.

BrendalfHey Leo! My name is Brendalf But um now my question. What brought you to planet minecraft and where did you learn to make skins? Well Brendalf out peace!

I didn't really learn it anywhere. I had made a lot of textures before I started making skins, it helped me a bit with coloring and shading. Everything is self-taught.
And I believe I found PMC from some texture pack. Seemed like a good place to upload your stuff.

MinersCartoonIf you could have any position in life what would it be?
[For example : Like the owner of minecraft or creator of tolit paper you pick!]

Hmm, probably some kind of famous person who can get a steady and good income, without people hating you. Some kind of celebrity, but not any kind.

l_Pro_AssassinWhat got you into skinning? Did you see a cool skin that inspired you or did you just decide to try it?

I first made some skins for personal use because I found it a bit lame to use other's work. I began skinning "for real" after I had entered the Video Game Character contest about a year ago with decent success.

TheAlmightyLemon1. i love tiny pixels it is just aweshum :3
2. do you play terraria? i have recently become addicted :L

I have Terraria, and I've played quite a bit of it too. :p

GiggimishWhat is you favorite food?

Mmm, beef and fries. Yum

Lord_Sauron_Rules and guidelines:
No inappropriate questions.

Man, you take all the fun out of Q&A sessions.

Sorry, but this doesn't apply to odd/weird questions, just questions that children shouldn't read. :p

Zemor
Will you ever stop making skins?

Some day probably. But not any time soon.

NukeDiamondLeostereo. This may be a few questions too long, but here I go.

I would like to know if you think I have potential to become greater at what I am doing at the moment. If you do think so, can you give me a few tips on how I can expand that knowledge and effort that I apply into my work. (BE HONEST PLEASE)

I would also like to know what programs you use to create those cartoon drawing and the techniques you use to make them attractive.

What made you come up with that awesome name you have?

Another question would be... What is your favourite colour? Just for fun

-= NukeDiamond =-

1. Anyone has potential to become better, there is always room for improvement. I am not sure on what you should improve on. Make more content is my biggest advice.

2. I use MS Paint to make my drawings. I use it because it's simple and because I don't need anything better. To make it look cartoony I use specific colors with a thick pencil tool (no anti-aliasing).

3. When I was a kid a friend of mine thought that Leo and Stereo rhymed. A few years later I remembered that and thought it made a pretty good nickname.

4. I don't have a favorite specific color. There are combinations I like though. Dark magenta and reddish gold is nice.

DengaraWhat inspires you? What helps you get up in the morning and say "Let's do this"?

And what you're doing right now is called an AMA (Ask Me Anything)

And one last thing, as an texture pack maker, what advice can you give me about it?

I need to get up to go to school, get an education, meet friends, and get a future. Sometimes I get up earlier if there's something I came up with during the night that I want to do, like a song, skin or similar.

And I know it's called an AMA, I browse reddit every day.

As for texturing advice, try making a collab texture pack with someone at your own level. It's a lot of fun, and you will be able to give opinions on the textures too.

thema5kedbanditI'm not all the good of a skinner but could you give some key tips on how you come up with ideas and how you came up with your shading technique? Ways to make it better etc?

I don't tend to make all too original skins to be honest, I mostly try and make a good version of common skins, like knights, Mario, Link etc. I don't really have any advice on how to get ideas. And my shading technique simply developed through time. It kind of came from my realistic way of making textures for my RPG pack using a low transparency pencil.

MothgirlDo you ever look back at your first skins and think about how much you've improved?

Sometimes, yeah. I don't always see my newest skins as the best ones though.

DralyonaOk: How long does it take you to make each skin and what would you call your shading style?

Also: Do you played any other computer games like Minecraft? If so, which ones?

Thanks heaps

A skin takes 1-2 hours normally. I'd call my shading style high-contrast gradient shading.

And I've answered the gaming question twice already. :p

KnobleKnivesIf you were the only survivor of a zombie apocalypse, and you had to choose a skin you've made in the past as an "avatar" for battle, which skin would you choose?

I know. Totally unorthodox

Duke Nukem.

saxenmWhat tools do i need to mod minecraft and maybe a youtube video to show me how would be nice thanks for your consideration and i hope you get even more famous

I don't do any modding. Can't help you, sorry.

Trident3Hello, I like this page that you have set up.

My question is this:
When you click on my Texture Pack, does a smiley face come up? Please answer.

Also, if it does, do you know why? And can you fix it?

I hope this isn't a cheap way to fish clicks, but no, I didn't get a smiley face or anything odd by that matter.

NicoleSaintClaireHow did you become so good at skinning? Can you please message me back the answer.

I've answered this plenty of times before. Practice.

+Sheena+Leo, can I have your skype via pm? Please?

Also, what is that creature you have as your avatar?

Eh, sure. PM me and I'll answer. And it's a derpy cat I drew myself. Might change it soon.

randomcitizen1Hello sir! I have a question for you. I was wondering: can you (or anyone for that matter) run (I mean host) a minecraft server while MCedit is running (on the same computer that the Minecraft server is running on) if you are not playing on that server, but someone on another computer is? If you could post a direct answer (preferably not I believe, or I think. Something like I know for a fact) it would be most appreciated. Thank you for your time. Sincerely: Random Citizen

I have no idea. This isn't really something I am very experienced with. Try asking on the official Minecraft Forums.

Trident3
Leostereo
Trident3Hello, I like this page that you have set up.

My question is this:
When you click on my Texture Pack, does a smiley face come up? Please answer.

Also, if it does, do you know why? And can you fix it?

I hope this isn't a cheap way to fish clicks, but no, I didn't get a smiley face or anything odd by that matter.

No, it was not. I will delete it if you want? And then I will ask another question.

Thanks! I don't know why it happens to me. But all I need to do now is refresh it and my pack comes up

P.S. I will delete this too.

No, don't delete anything if it's your very own content. Quality doesn't really matter, it's always nice to have something to showcase.

WonderCat1. Are we good PMC friends?
2. What is the derpiest thing you ever did in any video game?
3. If you could get any kind of pet, what would it be and what would you name it?
4. Do you like hatemail?
5. What would you think would be a good addition to the site?
6. What is your favorite color?
7. Do you have a favorite anime?
8. Why are you so epicly awesome? :p
9. If you had over 9,000 subscribers, how happy would you be?
10. Would you ever come on PMC Chat?

Those are my questions. (;

1. Cannot say you're bad at least.
2. When I played The Sims 2, then used a bug when you created the sim to make body parts all messed up. 3 feet wide eyes do look quite odd.
3. An iguana named Lucifer. Feeding him mice would almost be like offering to Satan.
4. I do not hate it extremely much, but it feels a bit pointless.
5. A bulletin feature to easily announce things for your subscribers.
6. Answered this earlier.
7. Code Geass, it was incredibly good.
8. Because I can.
9. About this much l--------------x--------l
10. I visit the chat sometimes. Often to announce new submissions.

ReaCraftAre you fat?
Are you a succesful student?
Just curious, why are you atheist (like me!! )

I am not fat at all. I feel like I can each as much as I want without even gaining a single pound. <_>
I have decent grades (about B in average).
And yeah, I'm an atheist.

Dralyona
Also can you PM me also it would be massive help to be able to get feedback for a skin from one so experienced. Different opinions are very helpful

Mmmmm, perhaps. Not too keen on giving a lot of feedback. Perhaps I can invite you to the skinning group chat. Send me a PM.

Camo7Did you expect your thread to get this many posts so soon? Or did you expect more?

How many PMs do you get? And how many of them are just "hey look at my stuff"?

Would you want a mod to make sure people follow the rules in your first post?

More or less, yeah. I know people have wanted to ask me a ton of questions. I hope people read my answers.

A few (2-3) per day in average. Most of them are as you said, "look at my stuff".

Not sure what a mod would do about that. I think people have followed them quite well. I just hope people would read previous questions before asking.

peachesDo you like bunnies?

Do you like peaches (as in the fruit, not me, even though I would taste the best of them all)?

Bunnies are okay. Never really thought much about them.

And yes, I love peaches!

ObbyCow77do you like orange juice?

A ton!

tex12347
+Sheena+Leo, can I have your skype via pm? Please?

Also, what is that creature you have as your avatar?

a cat and I have no idea

No need to answer questions directed to me. I'll take care of that.
Leostereo
Level 86 : Elite Meme