Helpful Links and Other Things for Modders

PMC's Avatar PMC6/13/14 5:59 pm history
1/11/2017 6:01 am
Lola's Avatar Lola
I saw that Girrafestock's collection of links was a little bit dated now, and I thought it would be a good idea to create an updated version of it.

Learning Java
Before you get into learning how to mod, you really need to have a grasp on Java nd how it works, as it is what Minecraft and most mods are coded in.

TheNewBoston has a great set of Java tutorials, from installing the JDK to much more advanced concepts.

VSWE also has a great set of Java tutorials, these are set out more like lectures, so they give you a real teaching experience.

Forge Tutorials -
Forge is the main API for modding, and is recognised as being the normal standard. The Forge Forums are a great place to ask questions if you are struggling to figure something out.

VSWE also has a great set of Modding Tutorials, ranging from the Basic Stuff onto more advanced topics such as Guis and Models

The Forge Wiki also has a few tutorials on Modding, there are always new things being added to it, and is a great place to check out.

Pahimar has a Let's Mod series, which runs you through modding from beginning to finishing up, this is restarting soon, and is a great resource.

TGG has some stuff that runs you through how the game works, such as rendering, items and blocks.

Reddits
/r/MinecraftModder ran by our own Giraffestock

Other Things You May Need
Techne - This is a great modelling program. It lets you model in 3D and then convert it to a file that you can use in your mod.

paint.net - A great free image manipulation program, useful for creating textures for items and blocks.

IRC Channels
IRC stands for Internet Relay Chat and is a text based online chat. There are different channels to it, and there are a large amount of them that are modding related.
You can get to all of the following from http://www.esper.net/

#MinecraftForge - The general IRC channel for all things modding related
#Minecraft - For all things Minecraft
#minecraft-modding - Pretty Self Explanatory

Open Source Mods
You can learn a lot about modding by looking through other people's code. open source mods are great for this.
Steampunk'd My own mod, feel free to browse the code.
EE3 Pahimar's Mod, good for seeing how more complex things are done, very well coded.
Tinkers Construct Another advanced, nicely coded mod.

A list of other open source Forge Mods

If you have anything else to add, tell me and I will add it.
PMC
Support
Level 100 : Transcendent Cake