Need info and advice about server hosting!

Lixah's Avatar Lixah1/29/12 1:33 pm
1 emeralds 127 2
1/29/2012 2:04 pm
Lixah's Avatar Lixah
hey so i wanted to ask about server renting.
I understand that they sell different hardware such as more ram/cpu etc, but i wanted to know about the connection, as its never really advertised, from what i can see, if i wanted to host a server with e.g. 50 people on it, what kind of server would i be looking at? and how much would this cost?

also, having never rented a server before, i wondered what kind of interface they use, will it work something like remote help/desktop where i have complete server server control? (presuming i have a dedicated server) and how does it work if i have a shared server? how do i run the server/add/configure plugins?

Help appreciated.
Lixah
Level 1 : New Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/29/2012 2:04 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
Lixah
@teqx

Thanks, really informative and helpful.
I will checkout the website suggested
01/29/2012 2:00 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
teqx
So far i know if you want a remote desktop you are more looking at Dedicated servers, which can be customized to run any game program (usually)

If you prefer a pre-installed setup (with the basics), that's a Game Server, depending on your preferred hosting company there are many different control panels, some use custom ones and others use control panels made by someone else which they pay a license fee for to use, such as McMyAdmin or MultiCraft.

Custom ones are Clanforge (multiplay.co.uk) and Steve (global7hosting) as example.

With 50 people you will be looking at a server with at least 3 and preferably 4GB if you are going to run multiple plugins, it is best to go with a professional host, the cheaper the offer the less you get in terms of reliability, some even oversell their servers running more clients on it than the machine can handle, with all the problems that entails.

Here's a useful website: http://www.bestminecrafthosts.com/
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome