Problems w/ PopReel & Effort.

Old Potato Logic's Avatar Old Potato Logic4/18/14 11:08 pm
1 emeralds 2.2k 78
5/22/2014 5:07 pm
PixelCrash_'s Avatar PixelCrash_
Well hello there mortals & wizards. Today I will be discussing and maybe ranting about how people don't put effort into their skins anymore.

I remember the days when the pop reel was something special and unique. Everyone was trying their best. Putting all their efforts and time into a skin that could've possibly get on the gallery. Either if they did get on it, or they didn't.
If they did, they would've felt some accomplishment. Or on the other hand, they didn't. They would start on a new one and try their best once again.

But now it seems like nothing. Everyone could get on the pop reel. No matter how bad or unoriginal the skin is. They just advertise their skin in the PMC chat and wabam! They're on the gallery in 10 minutes. Like the amount of time they've put into their skin;
I'm not trying to target those who are new to skinning. But those who have had a lot of skinning experiences and still doesn't put enough effort into their skins. All they say is that "I didn't have that much time, so I just made a skin quickly so I can get it over with". Now that is just an excuse. If they didn't have time, why would they even skin. Just do whatever it is that is hanging on your back and finish it. You're not being forced to skin, nor there isn't any time limit.(Unless there is a contest, which most likely isn't the case) You have plenty of time so you don't have to crumble yourself into a ball and skin as fast as you can!

Put some time into your skins. Look up some useful tutorial blogs. Don't limit your time.

#SkinsWithEffort
Old Potato Logic
Level 50 : Grandmaster Artist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/22/2014 5:02 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Artist
PlacedObsidian
So true..
05/02/2014 10:53 am
Level 25 : Expert Cowboy
Aethroz
basicbrick
Click to reveal
I think the professional skinners get the attention they deserve. The reason why I feel that teen pastels get diamonds so easily is because of something I call the Pewdiepie syndrome. For instance Pewdie's videos don't have a lot of effort put into them (not saying they're bad), so he can upload about once a day. People like Corridor Digital spend massive amounts of time on their videos, but they can only upload about once a month. Because Pewdiepie can upload videos at a quicker rate,
they get more popular because his viewers get new content quickly. This is basically how the teen skin thingy works.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but that makes great sense. Thanks. +1
05/02/2014 10:39 am
Level 47 : Master Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrfis
i see loads of mc creator mods on the pop reel..they dont stay there long i like the flag button
05/02/2014 10:31 am
Level 40 : Master Warrior
atabler
Ive seen skins & blogs and stuff on the pop reel with 1 diamond! I'm wondering if they are doing that so the 'newbies' or 'low levelers' get attention, and encouragement, Sometimes the pop-reel thing is worse than the rest of the stuff...
05/22/2014 8:53 am
Aethroz

That is all it takes to hit PopReel. 15 views(16th was mine, it was already on there) and 2 diamonds. Not that this wasn't a great blog, doesn't matter. So teen skins with 6 diamonds are at least somewhat trying when they hit PopReel.
Picture blurred to keep author's anonymity.
05/01/2014 11:32 am
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
I like how the "teen skin" argument always seems to resolve around the pop-reel, like somehow the pop reel picks from profiles randomly. People like the skins, they get diamonded/viewed/commented and it gets pushed up there.
05/01/2014 11:37 am
Aethroz
I(and I believe most of the people in the thread) understand How/Why they get up to the PopReel, we are just remiss that the professional skinners putting forth massive amounts of effort aren't getting the recognition they deserve, as people keep voting up teens/pastels. I think its more of a *sigh* then a *rawr*.
05/02/2014 10:23 am
Level 48 : Master Pixel Painter
basicbrick
I think the professional skinners get the attention they deserve. The reason why I feel that teen pastels get diamonds so easily is because of something I call the Pewdiepie syndrome. For instance Pewdie's videos don't have a lot of effort put into them (not saying they're bad), so he can upload about once a day. People like Corridor Digital spend massive amounts of time on their videos, but they can only upload about once a month. Because Pewdiepie can upload videos at a quicker rate, they get more popular because his viewers get new content quickly. This is basically how the teen skin thingy works.
05/22/2014 4:59 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
PixelCrash_
I've seen other (non-gaming) youtube channels that have perfectly fine content but are more popular then similar ones because they post much more regularly.
04/30/2014 6:24 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Answer
TheViridian
I feel like PMC is turning into the Skindex, what with half of the pop-reel being teenage girl skins. :c
04/30/2014 6:38 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Goblin
devilcupcakes
Girls are allowed to have their skins up there too. :\
05/01/2014 10:04 am
basicbrick
He never said girls aren't allowed to have their skins on the pop reel. In my opinion I am kind of worried, because it seems like most of the female skinning community isn't creating original content.
04/30/2014 6:47 pm
Level 41 : Master Sailor
Dunlan_Willowbo
He didn't say female skins are annoying. He is talking about the unoriginal teen girl skins. They all pretty much use the same design and they are taking away creativity and diversity away from PMC.
05/01/2014 10:18 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Artist
Jeffrey7747
If you were to play a game of Surivival Gamer or something else from the HiveMC servers, you will encounter 70% of the people having a common "teen" skin with hoodies/headsets (which all look the same) and all look like a bunch of emo's (Black clothes/Black Hair/Black eyes/etc). This is just annoying to see, and I'd rather see the Steve skin.
05/01/2014 10:12 am
Level 27 : Expert Network
Korigon
This is completely correct. A few days ago when I popped on PMC, I saw three skins, by the same person. They were all the "Generic." teen girl skins. The heads were exactly the same. This doesn't mean I hate "Teen skins." but it's just unoriginal, and frankly, lazy.

Has anyone even considered the fact that not all teens have long, colorful hair? Or that they don't wear hoodies constantly? Or even, ( Dare I say it? ) Girls can look cute with short hair too. Branch out, try outside your comfort zone. I don't mind teen skins but when it gets to the point of 10 out of the 20 skins on the reel all look the same ( Minus a few different colors ) It honestly makes me respect that person less as a skinner.
04/30/2014 6:52 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Answer
TheViridian
^ This, thanks for explaining.
04/30/2014 6:31 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Hunter
Wyvernian
Give that post a diamond (if possible... idek)! That is ssoooooooo true!
04/30/2014 6:15 pm
Level 26 : Expert Nerd
Amsarian
I think when the size of the pop reel was increased, it didn't really help the people who were starting out and looking to get noticed. I've seen someone who had five skins in a row on the pop reel (not at the same time), which were all duplicates of each other with slight different clothes, colours and fancy fonts.

And what is it with the teen/girl skins having this one template of long hair and a side fringe? It's getting repetitive.

But live and let live, I guess the pop reel is rather unpredictable. But it would be great if a larger range of skins were there.
04/30/2014 4:38 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Turtle
Deth_Glitch
Just live and let lie, the internet is too big for us to fight, follow in my footsteps and hide on a solid mountain in the RP section hidden amongst all the rubbish, A great tall mountain where there are diamonds, protected by loyal RPers who have put time and effort into RP.
04/30/2014 4:16 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Fox
Foxy
PotatoLogicAll they say is that "I didn't have that much time, so I just made a skin quickly so I can get it over with". Now that is just an excuse. If they didn't have time, why would they even skin. Just do whatever it is that is hanging on your back and finish it. You're not being forced to skin, nor there isn't any time limit.

This gets me so much when I see people saying this under their submissions
I want to just ask them WHY DO YOU POST IT THEN???? If even you think it's bad and there's nothing stopping you from making it better, then make it better. And if you still decide to upload it anyway, don't brag about how bad something you've posted is.

The work you make public and advertise should be a clear representation of your abilities. If it isn't then it should be worked on until it's up to your normal standards. If you decide to post it before it's acceptable, then don't do something like advertise for it in the chat.

When I see people say this, my usual thoughts are "Nope! All their submissions are probably like this. They most likely can't make anything better and are just using this as an excuse to not learn how to make something better because they're too lazy to try."
I know this is almost certainly not the case with everyone, but honestly this is what my first impression is when I see someone say "didn't have enough time so here it is"

I'd be much more inclined to like something bad that someone said was the result of their best efforts rather than something bad that someone said they didn't put any effort into

I just can't seem to understand why people do this.
04/30/2014 4:03 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Toast
Bawne
I'm that guy that has sucky uncreative skins on pop-reel. I try, but I suck anyways.
04/30/2014 5:23 pm
PixelCrash_
Don't be that guy who is always down on himself. Your skins are excellent looking and most are fairly original as well.
04/30/2014 2:09 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
CalPal_
In the past, the pop reel was hard to get on.

Why?
There was LESS SPACE ON IT.
There are TONS of submissions per section on it now.

The blog section is even worse than the skins.

"minecruft will nvr gu awy!!!111!!11111!!!!
thanks
sub and diamond if you agrey"

*pop reel off two diamonds*
04/30/2014 2:08 pm
Level 29 : Expert Explorer
TheHipster
I agree, most people aren't putting effort into their skins. (I try. ;o) I still don't understand how generic teen skins ended up becoming so popular. The good ol' days, when I did nothing but view posts, with all those unique, original people, I feel, is coming to an end :/
04/30/2014 2:04 pm
Aethroz
I thought Pop-Reel was based on a derp/hour? Like a certain amount of dias/view/faves/downloads/whatever, in an hour or so= PopReel? I think I read this somewhere.... I'll go searching in the forums for it again. *dons battle gear* wish me luck.
04/27/2014 5:21 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Network
aaaapppsapapppppp
I agree, but sometimes I don't put as much effort as I should into my skins. I'm certainly not the best skinner out there and I have no idea why I've gotten pop reel like 5 times.
04/27/2014 5:09 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
Eh, pop reel is all about advertising, when I can be bothered to advertise something, it gets on pop reel, when I can't, it doesn't.
04/27/2014 5:02 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
Went on the popreel 2 seconds ago and the 2nd thing on there was a stolen texture pack.

Smooth move, PMC.
04/27/2014 5:12 pm
Aethroz
Was probably better advertised or posted by a more popular person. All we can do is Gather evidence, Report, and move on.
04/27/2014 11:14 pm
ASF
It was stolen off of the already very popular "LIFE" texture pack.
It had but 1 diamond.
04/30/2014 1:49 pm
PixelCrash_
I too have seen texture packs and mods with no diamonds on the pop reel. Speaking of illegal content, almost every day a stolen texture pack or MCreator mod makes it.
04/30/2014 2:03 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Prince
n8mo
Getting on the texturepacks/mods popreel is as easy as posting one; because so few are posted, almost every one of them can get on the pop reel.
04/23/2014 6:42 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
irritatedCat
*Sees skins on Pop Reel*
Isn't this not allowed?
*Posts Pig Painter Skin*
This submission has been taken down because it used part of a skin (I was a noob at the time, and used part of the pig skin. Supernova is great.)

All those stolen teen skins...
I agree. So many teen skins using same style.
04/23/2014 6:37 pm
Dunlan_Willowbo
And to all those people who say they don't like shaded skins. Thats like saying you don't like paint on a painting. Sorry that is just something I had to get off my chest.
04/26/2014 3:24 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Cowboy
Star
This. ^
04/24/2014 7:07 am
Level 82 : Elite Technomancer
Drazile
I wish there was a way to give diamonds to forum posts, so that I could give you one for this.
04/23/2014 6:30 pm
Dunlan_Willowbo
I think the only way we'll see the reel getting back to normal, is if everyone just tried to be more original, and make their skins there own. Nobody is expecting you to skin like everyone else does. Find someway to stand out in your style.
04/23/2014 1:01 pm
Aethroz
When I joined, I saw only teen skins, the same hoodies/headsets/creeper heads/bandanas... over and over and over.. crazy boring. Nowadays its just the girly skins, pastel colors and the exact same hair. Worse than teen skins IMO.
I am by no means a good skinner. But i've made popreel. Its about your base. If you have subs, boom you post and you'll hit popreel. If you don't, you have to advertise.

I though Pop-Reel was based on a derp/hour? Like a certain amount of dias or faves or downloads in a hourly period.
04/23/2014 12:47 pm
Level 40 : Master Goblin
Lola
I advertise my content in chat, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it, everyone does that every once in a while. I agree that there are low quality skins in the pop reel, but you definitely must not forget that there are also a lot of great skins in it. I also noticed that there are a lot of beginning skinners, with great skin, but doesn't get noticed because they haven't got a lot of subs, or because they're discriminated based on their low level.
04/22/2014 7:30 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster uwu
Ash
A lot of what is on the pop reel at any one time are things that people advertise in chat. Yes, things with effort deserve to be on the pop reel. But it's people who put the effort in it advertise and market their submission who are the ones who get popular.

It doesn't matter how good of a builder or skinner you are, if you cant sell it to the public, you'll get nowhere.
04/22/2014 6:21 am
Level 20 : Expert Dragon
PurpleHippoTamer
i completely agree I know I am not a popular Skinner but you look at the pop reel and most off them are the same skin with different colors. What I feel is worse than un-originality are "pop reel counts'' they irritate me as it looks like its a competition and the way you win is advertise your skin. I just find that annoying and un-creative
04/22/2014 6:25 pm
ASF
It's even worse finding things with stolen content on the popreel.
04/22/2014 5:40 am
Level 82 : Elite Technomancer
Drazile
The problem is worst with resource packs IMO.
05/22/2014 8:58 am
Level 37 : Artisan Turtle
Fellanchicken
Completely agree.
05/22/2014 5:07 pm
PixelCrash_
+2
04/20/2014 10:16 pm
Level 47 : Master Gent
Jhent
;~; we're in the age of crappy teen skins..
04/20/2014 1:29 pm
Level 43 : Master Princess
Buttsauce
Crap. I never really cared about pop reels, but now I suddenly started feeling guilty about them.

/stares at skins

/stares at self

...Okay, if I have to choose between burning in the eternal fires of PMC-hell and putting more than 20 minutes into my skins, I choose to become human bacon. When it comes to being a nasty nasty slacker, I am beyond helping.
04/19/2014 11:07 am
Level 38 : Artisan Skinner
a dead boi
yep so true
04/19/2014 11:01 am
Level 50 : Grandmaster Blob
Speedy
I absolutely agree. Some people have just been rushing their skins, getting to pop reel, and getting a crap ton of subscribers from doing so. It makes me a sad li'l boi :c
04/19/2014 10:52 am
basicbrick
About 50% of the pop reel on average are low quality teen skins, it's sad but it wont change soon.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome