PC or PS4?

Trinity-PvP's Avatar Trinity-PvP8/29/14 9:03 am
1 emeralds 2.2k 69
9/7/2014 4:18 am
DatFox's Avatar DatFox
Hey guys, I'll try and keep this short and on topic.

Recently I have been wanting to purchase a next gen console, and after some research I preferred the PS4 over the Xbox One. Though during my research I had seen many people preferring a Computer and with the Hashtag #PCMasterace <- or something like that (What is that anyway?)

I just don't know what to do, shall I get a PlayStation 4 and play with some friends etc, or a Computer - YES, I know, (Depending on the Computer you can play with better graphics etc) but can you please tell me which you prefer and WHY?

If I am to purchase a PC, I can only spend MAX £400 ($663.94 - I live in the UK).

So yeah... I am unsure of the two and would like some help xD - Please tell me why you think the PC / PS4 would be better.

[Please Also vote on the Poll]
Trinity-PvP
Level 7 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/07/2014 4:18 am
Level 35 : Artisan Ninja
DatFox
pc
09/07/2014 4:10 am
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Modder
duke_Frans
Do your friends have PCs or PS4s?
The most fun you will have is over skype/ts and playing a game together
09/07/2014 4:05 am
Trinity-PvP
Bump.
09/05/2014 11:54 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter
elfin8er
Oh, and my brother built a 400 dollar gaming PC for 400 dollars, and it runs current gen games well on high settings.
09/06/2014 5:40 am
Trinity-PvP
Right, if so, would you mind showing me what PC he purchased?
09/05/2014 7:20 pm
Level 41 : Master Toast
Xyifer12
Woody239PC.
If you own two consoles, and you're playing X, but you want to play Y, you have to connect a completely new system to your TV, whereas on a PC, you'd just have to open a new game.

If your console has a faulty disk drive, you have to send it out to Sony, and spend like $200 fixing a disk drive, and it takes a few weeks to get back.

Uh.. you do know radishack sells AV splitters, right?
Also, you can just replace the disk drive yourself, no need to spend a large chink of money sending the system in.
Lancet13Although theoretically, a PC can do anything a Console can, however exclusive games are still exclusive to that specific platform.

One word: emulators.
SpiderMatty8
PC

PROS

Some games PC only games (That get made into consoles all the time)
Internet
Netflix
Origin
Better Sims
Mods
Early DLCs

CONS

Almost no warning of Over heating
Risk of bad insides
Tons of lag in alot of game (depending on insides)
Crashes
Always have to download
400$ - 700$
Blue Screen of DEATH
Hacking
Viruses

The PS4 can or will browse the internet, use netflix, skype, and mods.
Desktop computers can have heat management software installed, to prevent and warn users about overheats. There will be no lag in properly optimized games if the computer is powerful enough, Always have to download what? Please specify. Consoles can also be hacked and get viruses.
Goku_LSSJYeah I'm not denying pcs superiority I'm just letting him know he should be ready to update his equipment a ps4 will run ps4 games in 6 years 6 year old pc will not run a game made 6 years well unless you spent major money on it

A PS4 will still play PS4 games in 6 years, a good 2014 PC will still run 2014 PC games in 6 years.
Goku_LSSJ
It's his opinion dont downgrade him for it

I cannot downgrade a human, and i was asking a question.
09/05/2014 6:46 pm
Level 20 : Expert Zombie
Goku_LSSJ
Yeah I'm not denying pcs superiority I'm just letting him know he should be ready to update his equipment a ps4 will run ps4 games in 6 years 6 year old pc will not run a game made 6 years well unless you spent major money on it

Like I got a Console cause I spent a majority of my money when I was in highschool on gas/friends so I couldn't afford a 700$ gaming pc with games and updateing I could however afford a 300$ ps3 with gamefly
09/05/2014 6:32 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Blacksmith
Greybolt
Generally speaking, the PS4 (and any console in general) is simply a low-power PC with a restrictive operating system (Ah, DRM).

These supposedly "next-gen" consoles are a generation up from the previous ones, not the computing world in general.

I would go with a PC as they are usually less expensive and have a wider range of application.

Goku_LSSJ
see pc people always forget to mention as you upgrade your hardware it spends money I'm guessing this guy is a kid and might want to spend his money going to the movies or treating a girl to a nice dinner more then getting a better ram stick XD

You forget that all computing hardware needs replacing. The difference here is that you can replace the hardware in a PC, and with consoles you're stuck with outdated equipment.
09/05/2014 2:28 pm
elfin8er
I would recommend going with PC gaming. With a PC, you can always upgrade your hardware as new stuff comes in. You can play games from 1998, 2008, or 2018 (when the time comes). Most games nowadays support the use of a controller (You can use most controllers, however wireless xbox controllers require additional hardware, and wireless PS4 controllers require bluetooth. Wired xbox controllers require no additional hardware, and is plug-and-play for Windows 8). Most (but certainly not all) games that are on xbox are available for PC. Price is debatable, but imo, you can do a whole lot more on a computer than you can on a console (though that gap is closing). I think console gaming is much better as a family gaming platform, whereas PC is just as the name suggests. It's a Personal Computer used for gaming on your own, or with others over a network.
09/05/2014 6:26 pm
Goku_LSSJ
see pc people always forget to mention as you upgrade your hardware it spends money I'm guessing this guy is a kid and might want to spend his money going to the movies or treating a girl to a nice dinner more then getting a better ram stick XD
09/05/2014 11:51 pm
elfin8er
Very true. But it's still an advantage. Upgrading costs money, but it least it can be done. Another thing is that you can install pretty much any operating system, which can often times be free.
09/05/2014 11:51 pm
elfin8er
Very true. But it's still an advantage. Upgrading costs money, but it least it can be done. Another thing is that you can install pretty much any operating system, which can often times be free.
09/05/2014 2:20 pm
Trinity-PvP
Thanks for the tips,
09/05/2014 9:54 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Discountedpcs
-snip-
09/04/2014 3:38 am
Goku_LSSJ
LCD75
SpiderMatty8
Yeah the PS4 is a PC knockoff
PS4

PROS

Mostly no lag:

Battlefield 4 tanks on the next gens on larger maps.

Controllers

Controllers from my experience have only been good for racing games, I own an Xbox One controller myself.

Playstation Camera (Motion Censors)

Kinect is getting a PC version. Also you spelled Sensors wrong.

Internet

inb4 hit offline

Netflix

PC has this and can support multi monitors, meaning when you die or something you can watch some Netflix while you wait till you respawn.

PC has it even better thanks to the fact you can use high quality studio mics and cameras.

300$ only

And then $60 for online service for 10 years, which is what Sony expects, so in total it's $900 (excluding games)

No worry about bad insides (If you don't get Pre - Owned)

Any fool can fix up a PC. Open up a console and BAM, warranty voided. Maybe even banned.

Warns you when you are over heating

These days an average PC won't overheat as much as a PC from 4 years ago (GTX 590) did.

Game disks for no downloads

You still need to download it. Disks have become more like receipts than game holders these days.

Playstation Store

This conversation is getting awfully STEAM-y, eh? No? okay.

Remote Play

That requires a Vita. You can just get an Nvidia Shield device for your PC.

PS4 only games (That would most likely get made into a worse PC version)

Star Citizen. Also, judging by Max Payne 3, GTA 5 on PC will make the PS4 looks like a laughing stock.

Sometimes Good Graphics

Usually come with some kind of gimmick, The Last of Us and BF4 have their gimmicks to make them work as good as they do.

[/quote]

I'm sorry but 900$? what are you on... bro its like 400$ with games and internet like I seriously don't know where you got 900$
09/03/2014 6:16 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Architect
Communistt
BTW I LUV PLAYSTATION COS MY PARENTS WORK IN SONY SO I CAN BUY SOME SONY STUFF WITH SOME LOW PRICES
09/03/2014 6:15 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Architect
Communistt
#Pc4ever, I prefer PC but I will like if some1 buy me a PS3
But, I prefer so much PC because I hate to play games about guns using a console controller (IS THAT THE NAME?) because its too weird to aim to shoot stuff using dat stuff that u got in ur controller (just like a ball, I dont know da name if u know tell me ples dood) well, Ps3 is better configured for games, if u install any game the configurations will not mix up or mess up with the configs of other programs cos it doesnt have other programs, but in PC will be so messed up cos sometimes the configuration and stuff like that about the game like to mess up with some of other configurations and I was taking so long to configure it
09/03/2014 6:04 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Pirate
LCD75
SpiderMatty8
PS4

PROS

Mostly no lag:

Battlefield 4 tanks on the next gens on larger maps.

Controllers

Controllers from my experience have only been good for racing games, I own an Xbox One controller myself.

Kinect is getting a PC version. Also you spelled Sensors wrong.

Internet

inb4 hit offline

Netflix

PC has this and can support multi monitors, meaning when you die or something you can watch some Netflix while you wait till you respawn.

PC has it even better thanks to the fact you can use high quality studio mics and cameras.

300$ only

And then $60 for online service for 10 years, which is what Sony expects, so in total it's $900 (excluding games)

Any fool can fix up a PC. Open up a console and BAM, warranty voided. Maybe even banned.

These days an average PC won't overheat as much as a PC from 4 years ago (GTX 590) did.

You still need to download it. Disks have become more like receipts than game holders these days.

Playstation Store

This conversation is getting awfully STEAM-y, eh? No? okay.

Remote Play

That requires a Vita. You can just get an Nvidia Shield device for your PC.

Star Citizen. Also, judging by Max Payne 3, GTA 5 on PC will make the PS4 looks like a laughing stock.

Sometimes Good Graphics

Usually come with some kind of gimmick, The Last of Us and BF4 have their gimmicks to make them work as good as they do.

[/quote]
09/03/2014 5:53 pm
Level 25 : Expert Archer
IDKCharlie
Well PC is way better than a PS4 in my opinion. The biggest downside is if you don't get a good PC, you'll experience more lag than you would on any console, and PCs become outdated faster than consoles (Xbox series, Wii series, and PlayStation series) do. I voted PC though, because you can do a lot more on PC.
09/03/2014 5:50 pm
LCD75
Lancet13
LCD75
Much better, The Wii U is the only real console, while PS4 and the Juan are just cheap PC knockoffs.

Console, noun
  • a small electronic device for playing computerized video games.

A PS4 and Xbone fit the definition of a Console. Just because they use PC components does not mean that they are PCs.

PCs are general purpose machines capable of (theoretically) anything.

It's what their service is today, Wii U still aims for a house party device made for local multiplayer and fun exclusives, while Eggspacks and PS4 are leaning more towards what PC does, Graphically intense exclusives, Online multiplayer preference, and more software fidelity at the sacrifice of reliability.
09/03/2014 5:44 pm
Goku_LSSJ
Pc: If you have the money

Ps4: If you don't

Pc will smoke a ps4 anyday if your spending like 450$+ maybe 400$ but ps4 just dropped to 330$ so yeah oh and most irl people will have console so if you get gaming stuff just to play with irl friends just go with the ones the majority of your friends play on thats the only reason I got a ps4
09/03/2014 5:42 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Programmer
deadrecon98
The reason you want PC over ANY console is that a PC is extremely flexible. A console is locked to a single company and you have to go through there policies whereas on a PC you get to choose who your game provider is! (Though steam is the most popular) A PC is much much more powerful than any console out now, and are upgrade able! Now they may be costly but trust me, they are better in the long run.

Also, don't get mac or Linux, they're hard to use and cannot play most games.
09/03/2014 5:38 pm
Level 43 : Master Spider Rider
SpiderMatty
Killertoad
SpiderMatty8
PC

1. Almost no warning of Over heating
2. Risk of bad insides
3. Tons of lag in alot of game (depending on insides)
4. Crashes
5. Always have to download
6. 400$ - 700$
7. Blue Screen of DEATH
8. Hacking
9. Viruses

1. No, you'll know if it starts to run hot... games will slow down and then most people will look at the temps, and try to figure out why.
2. If you build it yourself, then you won't have any bad parts, unless it's a faulty part, then you return it, and they send another one, for free.
3. No... You can get most games working on even lower end computers. There are mods and such that make it easier to run.
4. If you know what you're doing, then no.
5. You have to download on console too? Unless you mean programs, which you have to be less than 8 years old to think that is true. (Think just a couple years back... when every single thing was on CD...) Heck firefox was on CD... I think it still is, just a little harder to find.
6. You can get them cheaper, and they can go higher. Depends on your needs/wants.
7. Once again, if you know what you're doing, or any common sense, that won't happen. Most BSOD's happen because of hardware issues, which normally can be easily fixed within minutes.
8. Hacking is just as bad, if not worse on console. Most games on PC have anti hack programs, that work really dang good. While most console games do not.
9. Virus, ah, the thing every console person brings up. You know how hard it is to get a virus if you don't do illegal/shady stuff? Almost impossible. Don't go looking at weird crap on the internet, don't click every "w0men in ur area1!!" ad, and don't download random programs that are not on trusted websites. It's really not that hard to get around it. Like seriously.
I know about PC CDs and don't click ads but I like all consoles and computer. Heck I have 8 PCs laying around and I have never hated a game or anything for that matter the only thing I hate is my school bully. Also you did not read the whole thing here is the main part if you missed it.
SpiderMatty8Can't see the difference you know
09/03/2014 5:06 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
SpiderMatty8
PC

1. Almost no warning of Over heating
2. Risk of bad insides
3. Tons of lag in alot of game (depending on insides)
4. Crashes
5. Always have to download
6. 400$ - 700$
7. Blue Screen of DEATH
8. Hacking
9. Viruses

1. No, you'll know if it starts to run hot... games will slow down and then most people will look at the temps, and try to figure out why.
2. If you build it yourself, then you won't have any bad parts, unless it's a faulty part, then you return it, and they send another one, for free.
3. No... You can get most games working on even lower end computers. There are mods and such that make it easier to run.
4. If you know what you're doing, then no.
5. You have to download on console too? Unless you mean programs, which you have to be less than 8 years old to think that is true. (Think just a couple years back... when every single thing was on CD...) Heck firefox was on CD... I think it still is, just a little harder to find.
6. You can get them cheaper, and they can go higher. Depends on your needs/wants.
7. Once again, if you know what you're doing, or any common sense, that won't happen. Most BSOD's happen because of hardware issues, which normally can be easily fixed within minutes.
8. Hacking is just as bad, if not worse on console. Most games on PC have anti hack programs, that work really dang good. While most console games do not.
9. Virus, ah, the thing every console person brings up. You know how hard it is to get a virus if you don't do illegal/shady stuff? Almost impossible. Don't go looking at weird crap on the internet, don't click every "w0men in ur area1!!" ad, and don't download random programs that are not on trusted websites. It's really not that hard to get around it. Like seriously.
09/03/2014 4:25 pm
SpiderMatty
LCD75
Mario3785
SpiderMatty836 people don't have a PS4. Who cares about #PCMasterRace when you can have #WiiUANDPCMasterRace

Corrected it for you.

Much better, The Wii U is the only real console, while PS4 and the Juan are just cheap PC knockoffs.

PS4

PROS

Mostly no lag
Controllers
Internet
Netflix
Playstation Store
Remote Play
Sometimes Good Graphics
CONS

Red line of DEATH
Freeze Screen
Sometimes Bad Graphics
No Mods
Not much DLCs
Not many recorders
Have to have a TV (Which most of us have)

--------------------------------------------
PC

PROS

Some games PC only games (That get made into consoles all the time)
Internet
Netflix
Origin
Better Sims
Mods
Early DLCs

CONS

Almost no warning of Over heating
Risk of bad insides
Tons of lag in alot of game (depending on insides)
Crashes
Always have to download
400$ - 700$
Blue Screen of DEATH
Hacking
Viruses

Can't see the difference. You know

09/03/2014 4:06 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Network
MissMarifire
Personally I'd go with a WiiU or a 3DS; the games are generally homely and timeless and both consoles are cheaper, WiiU being 300 or less and the 3DS (Given it's just a regular one, not 2DS or XL) can come down to 200 or less, depending on where you get it.

I'm not saying that the games on the PS4 or Xbone are homely and family friendly; I'm saying there are much more for the WiiU and 3DS, as games for Nintendo consoles are generally aimed for towards kids (Although adults can play; I always bring my little sister's 3DS to school and go to other student's towns in animal crossing during lunch. While there isn't that many who play, it's still quite nice.)

If you direly want something with really pretty graphics for 400 bucks I'd go with PS4; I do know that Warframe tends to play a lot better on there than my computer. But my computer's on it's last leg and is bound to die in a week or two.
09/03/2014 3:32 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Nerd
Lancet13
LCD75

Console, noun
  • a small electronic device for playing computerized video games.

A PS4 and Xbone fit the definition of a Console. Just because they use PC components does not mean that they are PCs.

PCs are general purpose machines capable of (theoretically) anything.
09/03/2014 12:56 pm
LCD75
Mario3785
SpiderMatty836 people don't have a PS4. Who cares about #PCMasterRace when you can have #WiiUANDPCMasterRace

Corrected it for you.

09/03/2014 12:41 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Miner
dragonzodiac99
Never get a PS4 they are terrible compared to xbox one (I don't either but have played on both for at last 24 hours) and I preferred the ps3 to xbox 360 so I am not an xbox fan boy
09/03/2014 11:56 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Nerd
Lancet13
When your buying a console, you are buying it for the exclusive games and features that the system manufacturer provides.

Although theoretically, a PC can do anything a Console can, however exclusive games are still exclusive to that specific platform.

Since you thought about buying a PS4, I'm going to presume your a gamer. Take a look at any new (or coming soon) games you would like to play. If most of those games are going to launch on PS4 (and not PC), then get a PS4. Otherwise, just get a PC.

I'm personally a PC person, but I always turn to a Sony console to buy those Japanese import JRPGs.
09/03/2014 11:56 am
SpiderMatty
Mario3785
SpiderMatty836 people don't have a PS4. Who cares about #PCMasterRace when you can have #PS4ANDPCMasterRace

Corrected it for you.

No I meant #PS4andPCMasterRace I have All Next Gen and PS4 is better then both.
So let me correct it again.
09/03/2014 11:48 am
Trinity-PvP
Any other opinions anyone like to add?
09/02/2014 11:12 am
Trinity-PvP
09/01/2014 1:30 pm
Level 45 : Master Sheep
ToadDan

Corrected it for you.
09/01/2014 1:22 pm
Level 48 : Master Pixel Painter
basicbrick

Gaben says,"Get a PC, it's worth it"
09/01/2014 1:00 pm
Level 45 : Master Dragonborn
Ninniy
/r/pcmasterrace
09/01/2014 12:56 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
PC.
Games are soooo much cheaper. Currently, there's a 50% off sale on every Call of Duty game.

Also, when new consoles come out (Xbox two, PS5), you won't have to buy a new console if you want to play next-next-gen exclusive games.
You can just upgrade your PC, and have all your games in the same place.

For example, when you own a PS4, and the PS5 comes out a few years later. X is available for PS4 only. Y is available for PS5 only. X and Y are both available for PC.
Would you either...
A: Buy a new console. Own two systems.
B: Upgrade your PC. Own one system.

With a PC, all your games will be in one place. If you own two consoles, and you're playing X, but you want to play Y, you have to connect a completely new system to your TV, whereas on a PC, you'd just have to open a new game.

If your console has a faulty disk drive, you have to send it out to Sony, and spend like $200 fixing a disk drive, and it takes a few weeks to get back.
If your PC has a faulty optical drive, you go to the store and pick up a new one for $20. You pop out the bad one, and plug in the new one. Everything is fixed in 5 minutes, and you only spend 5 minutes. It's like that for all the parts of a PC (except the price. But there's better warranties on a PC, so if an expensive part breaks, you can get a new one for very cheap.)

TL;DR:
Get a PC. They're so much better.
09/01/2014 12:20 pm
Trinity-PvP
Thanks for the reply, though.
08/31/2014 5:19 pm
Trinity-PvP
I don't prefer laptops, laptops are much weaker than Desktop Computers.
08/31/2014 7:04 am
Level 42 : Master Nether Knight
10Andrew
PC is WAAAY better. Every time a new console comes out it's gonna cost a few hundred £ but if you have a PC then you can just get a decent laptop (make sure to not get a "integrated" one) and then slowly evolve you laptop with the games that come out. It works out cheaper IF you do it right. Do it wrong and then you'll have wasted a ton of money.
08/31/2014 6:52 am
Trinity-PvP
Any other ideas?
08/30/2014 2:34 pm
Trinity-PvP
xD
08/30/2014 6:38 am
SpiderMatty
36 people don't have a PS4. Who cares about #PCMasterRace when you can have #PS4ANDPCMasterRace
08/30/2014 6:20 am
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Architect
Emiel97
PS4!! Graphics are better than a $400 PC. I also like to play with a controller, while looking on a large tv screen.
08/30/2014 6:15 am
dragonslayerx
PS4!

When i play games, i don't want to install the game first, then update this program, update the software, blah blah blah, and after all something is not supported and the game doesn't work. I hate PC gaming.

I want to lay on my bed, with just a controller in my hand, and play! THAT is a real gaming experience for me.
09/05/2014 6:57 pm
Level 41 : Master Toast
Xyifer12
So... you are too lazy to see if the game would work before you get it, and that is why you hate PC gaming?
09/05/2014 7:01 pm
Goku_LSSJ
It's his opinion dont downgrade him for it
08/30/2014 6:07 am
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
cakeface
PS4 for the win ;D
08/30/2014 5:54 am
AvileCraft
Im a PC person, But i would rather PS4 For most games. It's not like most PC's where you have to pay up to $1000+ just to get a better one to get better graphics..
08/29/2014 7:54 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Hunter
Wyvernian
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome