Rate my website! (php, html, css, js, xml)

SpongyBacon's Avatar SpongyBacon5/29/15 8:24 am
5/29/2015 9:40 am
SpongyBacon's Avatar SpongyBacon
Put this together in 3 hours.

Github source: https://github.com/SpongyBacon/spongybacon.com

It's not meant to be amazing, just functional. Tell me what you think & what should be improved!
SpongyBacon
Level 32 : Artisan Princess

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/29/2015 9:40 am
SpongyBacon
Cookiesz
SpongyBacon
It's not meant to be amazing

SpongyBacon.com
This is an amazing blog post!

:'( so rekt
05/29/2015 9:20 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
Pothead_Pete
Thanks for your feedback
1. I'll post a few blogs later so it does load. I only have a 720p screen.
2. Will do.
3. It's there for my convenience
4. Again, it's a sample blog post.[/quote]

3: You could maybe put the date somewhere nicer (like how many Wordpress blogs do) and hide the id somewhere for debugging. Users don't really care about the id of the post, so it could be a bit too much (it's quite nice and simple otherwise).

4: I thought it was just a static welcome message. In that case I'd either pin the first post as a welcome message, or add a different welcome message to the top. You want to make sure users who stumble upon your website know at least something about you without having to hunt for information.
05/29/2015 9:14 am
This reply was removed by the poster or a moderator.
05/29/2015 9:37 am
SpongyBacon
Some nice ideas, although I think i'll hold off on the animations & css3 for now

Themindshaperi just though it will be easier as then the website is still open and they can explore. I personally like opening the twitter page then going back to your site and looking around more while the twitter page loads

Pothead_PeteI personally really hate it when a page opens in a new tab automatically. I usually open links in a new tab manually, whenever I want that. Look at it this way: you can manually open a link in a new tab or on a new page, but if you use that method, you're eliminating the option to open it in the current tab, effectively limiting the choices of your users, possibly leading to a worse user experience

I agree with Pete on this one

Pothead_Pete3: You could maybe put the date somewhere nicer (like how many Wordpress blogs do) and hide the id somewhere for debugging. Users don't really care about the id of the post, so it could be a bit too much (it's quite nice and simple otherwise).

4: I thought it was just a static welcome message. In that case I'd either pin the first post as a welcome message, or add a different welcome message to the top. You want to make sure users who stumble upon your website know at least something about you without having to hunt for information.

3. Ok, I might copy how xenForo does it, with a light gray #x in the bottom right corner so it is out of the way.
4. Good idea with the static message, I will make sure to add that soon.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
05/29/2015 8:59 am
Level 33 : Artisan Architect
Themindshaper
Externla links should be linked like this <a href="twitter.com/spongybacon" target="_blank">Twitter</a> That way the user still has your website open
05/29/2015 9:00 am
SpongyBacon
Down to personal preference, I don't like when that happens, unless it's more of a discussion board like PMC & twitter.
05/29/2015 9:15 am
Level 33 : Artisan Architect
Themindshaper
i just though it will be easier as then the website is still open and they can explore. I personally like opening the twitter page then going back to your site and looking around more while the twitter page loads
05/29/2015 9:23 am
Pothead_Pete
I personally really hate it when a page opens in a new tab automatically. I usually open links in a new tab manually, whenever I want that. Look at it this way: you can manually open a link in a new tab or on a new page, but if you use that method, you're eliminating the option to open it in the current tab, effectively limiting the choices of your users, possibly leading to a worse user experience
05/29/2015 8:44 am
Pothead_Pete
1. The footer image doesn't reach the bottom of the page on the homescreen (in 1920*1080)
2. The image loads in quite slowly (You're only using a thin portion of it, but you're making the user download for more of the image)
3. The date and id on the welcome message shouldn't be there
4. The welcome message is separated from the rest of the page too much (there's no reason to visually isolate it with the border and heading)
05/29/2015 9:00 am
SpongyBacon
Thanks for your feedback
1. I'll post a few blogs later so it does load. I only have a 720p screen.
2. Will do.
3. It's there for my convenience
4. Again, it's a sample blog post.
05/29/2015 8:35 am
Level 49 : Master Creeper Hugger
Cookiesz
SpongyBacon
It's not meant to be amazing

SpongyBacon.com
This is an amazing blog post!
Planet Minecraft

Website