Recommended Game Recorders

GeoinPlanetMC's Avatar GeoinPlanetMC7/27/15 12:28 pm
7/28/2015 4:57 pm
Azrath's Avatar Azrath
Hey guys, Geo here, back with another topic today you guys might want to record your gameplay to upload to youtube or save your recordings for memories.
This tutorial will show you the 3 best screen recorders i used for gaming.

1.) OBS: Open Broadcaster Software is free and open source software for video recording and live streaming. Supported features include:

Encoding using H264 (x264) and AAC.
Support for Intel Quick Sync Video (QSV) and NVENC.
Unlimited number of scenes and sources.
Live RTMP streaming to Twitch, YouTube, DailyMotion, Hitbox and more.
File output to MP4 or FLV.
GPU-based game capture for high performance game streaming.
DirectShow capture device support (webcams, capture cards, etc).
Windows 8 high speed monitor capture support.
Bilinear or lanczos3 resampling.

Download:
https://obsproject.com

2.) Fraps: Fraps is a universal Windows application that can be used with games using DirectX or OpenGL graphic technology. In its current form Fraps performs many tasks and can best be described as:

Benchmarking Software - Show how many Frames Per Second (FPS) you are getting in a corner of your screen. Perform custom benchmarks and measure the frame rate between any two points. Save the statistics out to disk and use them for your own reviews and applications.

Screen Capture Software - Take a screenshot with the press of a key! There's no need to paste into a paint program every time you want a new shot. Your screen captures are automatically named and timestamped.

Realtime Video Capture Software - Have you ever wanted to record video while playing your favourite game? Come join the Machinima revolution! Throw away the VCR, forget about using a DV cam, game recording has never been this easy! Fraps can capture audio and video up to 7680x4800 with custom frame rates from 1 to 120 frames per second!

Download:
http://www.fraps.com/buy.php

3.) Bandicam:
Bandicam is a high performance Game Recorder, Video Capture, and Desktop Screen Capture program.
It's high quality and the recorded file size is much smaller than other software.

Furthermore, Bandicam minimizes CPU usage, it allows streaming video to be captured with a low-performance computer.
Bandicam supports AVI 2.0 OpenDML extensions, so the maximum clip size is unlimited as long as the HDD has space available.

Download:
http://www.bandicam.com/downloads/
GeoinPlanetMC
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/28/2015 4:57 pm
Level 24 : Expert Button Pusher
Azrath
Also a handy problem for all your huge file sizes, handbrake! Google it.

Makes 50gb video to 60mb video and keeps same quality.
07/28/2015 3:04 pm
Level 28 : Expert Nerd
TehDansorz
OBS isn't even a screen recorder, but works much better than most of the software in this list.
Fraps is good when you need every bit of data preserved and not compressed.

The absolute best in my opinion is Dxtory. It's flawless.
07/28/2015 2:47 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
TylanderGD47
I just wish there was a screen recorder that was free, non-virus, unlimited time, exelent quality, compatible will most games, NO FREAKIN WATERMARKS, Webcam corner, and SMALL FILE SIZES (by that i mean reasonable).
07/28/2015 3:28 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
OBS...
07/28/2015 4:03 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/28/2015 3:25 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Terraformer
Ivain
OBS is closest to that. but you have to realize that excellent quality and small file sizes are nearly impossible, not to mention hours of work. why would someone do that for free? people that that many hours of work into it deserve to get financial recompense for it.
Another option, one that I tried once, is to get Razer Game Booster, it comes with a game-recording option. Big downside: It said recorder doesnt work with java-based programs (AKA minecraft)
07/28/2015 2:41 pm
Ivain
FRAPS THE BEST?? hehehehheheheh. hehe. its definitely nice to begin with, and good enough to continue using, but the best? Na-ah bro. Only reason its so popular is because anyone that can click a shortcut can use it, its that simple.

Same for Bandicam, though bandicam is a bit less simple and a bit better in quality.
OBS is decent, but its designed as streaming software and not recording software, so the way to do it is more complicated than the results make up for.

Dxtory is what I use. Its major disadvantage is GIANT file sizes, but the option to use custom codecs (and customize TONS of stuff) solves that problem as well as makes up for it EASILY.
I tried mirrilis action, but for some reason my computer refuses to run it. Tech support had not the foggiest, so it became Dxtory.
Never used shadowplay, but I think its still better than Fraps in many ways.

Also, I tried Camtasia once, I think I stopped using it because it combined badly with minecraft, it put my minecraft in cinematic mode or something (mouse slowed down A LOT, even at top sensitivity). but again, possible PC-related thing.
07/28/2015 2:25 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
wheres dxtory?? shadowplay?? mirillis action??
07/28/2015 2:20 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Explorer
TylanderGD47
Bandicam...you gotta be kidding me. Worst. Screen. Recorder. Ever. a freakin 5 minite tutorial video was like GIGABYTES big. IVE SEEN LONGER VIDEOS THAT ARE LESS WITH BETTER QUALITY RECORDERS!
07/28/2015 2:43 pm
Ivain
If you like giant filesizes, try Dxtory with default codec and default settings. 30 mins, 150 GB. 150 BLOODY GIGABYTES.
luckily a custom codec works out just fine. I only get .5 GB per minute now, and it records at top level HD quality.
07/27/2015 9:50 pm
GeoinPlanetMC
For those windows 8 users who dont know how to install mods and think its impossible, nothing is impossible. Check my other forum:
install-mods-windows-t502936.html

Lets go for 5 subs!
07/28/2015 2:09 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/27/2015 7:47 pm
GeoinPlanetMC
Azrath, Camtasia isnt recommended to record games

Camtasia is used to record the desktop like a vid on how to install maps to minecraft.
07/28/2015 1:50 pm
Azrath
And that is why? I record with it and it is amazing so far! + built in video recorder that offers lots of ways to enhance videos!
07/28/2015 2:05 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/27/2015 5:56 pm
Azrath
Camtasia.
07/27/2015 2:11 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
You forgot shadowplay and game dvr.