Runed - A Puzzle Platformer With Shapeshifting

Death's Avatar Death1/8/15 1:46 pm
1 emeralds 7.7k 87
8/1/2016 2:26 pm
Its_Dave's Avatar Its_Dave

Here I'll be importing my previous devlogs from the TIGforum.

The pictures below go from the beginning of the project, here's a picture of what it looks like currently:

Well, here goes:

Hi, I've been developing a game for a good while now with my team, I'll be using this page to chart the development of it, and generally post screenshots/gifs of some gameplay.

What the game's about:

The main point of the game, is to progress through each level(duh! ).

Anywho, that'll be enough(joke-wise) for now.

The real beauty in this game's concept, is how you get to the end of each level, and the skills/thought required to do so.
In the game, the player mainly controls a human, however the player holds a special ability, which is to shapeshift.
This is implemented in various situations, like for instance if there is a small area where the Human can't reach, the player could shapeshift into a dog and crawl into the space, or if there was a weak wall in front of the player, the player could shapeshift into a Bull and break down the wall.

All in all I believe that this game shall progress at a steady pace, and I hope to take you along for the ride, so that you can see how things go, and how things change.

NOTICE: Click here to sign up for indev testing!

Now, here's a screenshot to get me started:
Death
Retired Moderator
Level 25 : Expert Grump

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/01/2016 2:26 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Its_Dave
Incredible job on this game, it looks amazing! I wish you the best of luck fellow developer!
08/01/2016 1:51 pm
Death
The slime is finally alive!

I initially started out making the classes for the AI out of modules, however I realized later on that although it seemed to make things more organized, it also added a ton of overhead to adding different types of AI. Due to this I simply decided on making a base class NPC, and to have all of the NPC's in Runed extend that. The base class has things like checking surroundings, getting the player, getting a wander point, etc.

I'm not completely sold on if it should be a slime or not, as to be honest a slime is kind of cliche. I may end up going with some kind of beetle esque creature that has a bouncy shell of some sort.

Ignore my debug art if you will, just wanted to make sure that the custom animator was working and all .

07/31/2016 8:48 am
Death
Hey guys! Things are getting quite busy here as momentum begins to grow back up again. Admittedly you guys are going to see a visual break in updates around the 9th, due to No Man's Sky being released. In the meantime, here's a WIP concept image of our main character, along with some AI design on my part:

07/19/2016 3:24 pm
Death
Yeah.. about not working on the runestone UI anymore..

Added some fades, changed the animation and such. :shrug2:
IMG:
07/15/2016 3:02 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
07/15/2016 2:53 pm
Death
The return | Editor | New Members

Hey guys, over the past few weeks I've been attempting to get back into the swing of things. Thankfully some new kind souls have come forward in hopes of aiding me on this adventure that is Runed's development.

New Concept Artist

The first person I'd like to mention that's been added to the team is our new concept artist! She's already shown some promise and interest in the project, which is great. Here's some of the concept images we've had created over the past few days

New Pixel Artist

Next up is our new pixel artist, aka Skarik. You may have seen him before from his posts on TIG, particularly AFTER, or even Project M03.
For more information on either of these projects, be sure to head over to Epic House Studio's Site for more information. [Disclaimer - I am not affiliated with Epic House Studios, I simply wish to bring a bit of publicity to someone who was kind enough to offer to help with this project. ]

The Editor

Finally, we arive at the editor.(Which by this point I might as well say editors). I've made several iterations on the Runed Editor, however I believe it's time for me to part ways with it given the new tools provided in the latest alpha build of Unity. Finally, after all of this time, there is a dedicated 2D tilemap editor. This means I can stop worrying about file formats, how the editor's UI should work, how I can efficiently load in 17,500 tiles(50x50 map, 7 layers at the time), along with the worries of having all of our files out in the open for anyone to reap the rewards. Anyways, back to the new editing tools. Here's a gif of it in action:

Stolen Borrowed from Unity's blog on the matter.

UI Work

As of late I've been working on recoding a lot of things, in order to get it up to par and independent from the editor/level loading system. One of the things I decided that should be redone is the character UI. To start, here's a gif of the previous interface:

I'm aware that this is in the old art style.. don't kill me please ;-;
Aside from the lack of general motion, there is no depth being conveyed or sense of these stones actually being in the world. Not that I want to have shadows coming off of them or anything, but it'd be nice for them to feel there.
Not to mention my lack of image effects for focusing on the UI, no darkened background, blur, vignette, etc.

Which brings me on to the new UI. I knew that making a simple sliding menu wouldn't work, as frankly it's just boring. After meddling around for a few hours and catching up on Full Metal Alchemist, I realized that we could use something akin to the transmutation circles found in the show, as our character is basically transmuting himself into another form in the first place. With this in mind I created a small non functioning UI script that could convey my idea. This is what I ended up with:

Now, there's quite a few problems with this:
  • The lines in the center are crossing over the player, which clashes with him being unblurred/brought to vision.
  • The lines connecting the runes on the outer edge simply look too harsh/jagged.
  • Kinda looks like a pentagram..
  • There still just isn't enough movement to it.(I know this is a still screenshot, but you'll just have to trust me on this one.)

After thinking about this for a while, I made another mockup, this time animated.

I removed the inner lines, and made a horrible mockup circle image. The particle effects came about whilst I was messing around with the thought of particles shooting into the player from each rune, however I later settled on them radiating out of the player himself.

Next we have the final(current) version: (note - I mean final as in "good enough to move past it for now.")

Now, here's what I changed/did differently:
  • Added a circle being drawn procedurally around the outer edge, this is the same circle that my code uses to plot where each icon will go.(Note - yes, that means it can support up to ~20 icons at a time, with the only border being displaying all of the sprites in such a confined space)
  • Added back lines between each rune, however not clashing across.(This way they don't interrupt the player's visual.
  • Tweaked the circular motion when moving the rune icons, along with adding left and right movement.
  • Added a nice fade in to the background blur, as it seemed a bit too abrupt for my taste.
  • Made the rune circle(wheel?) smoothly fall in from the top of the screen. I've toyed with the idea of having it randomly come in from a randomized direction onscreen, but never looked further into it.
  • (Minor)Made those blasted particle effects start only when the rune ui is ready, and not 'pop' on screen like before.

I do however still have a few gripes about it, though:

• The player's feet cut too sharply on the ground
  • The drop-in from the top of the screen still feels a bit strange

All in all, it's definitely good enough to press on into further development.

Thanks for reading! I know I haven't updated this devlog in a long while(I've come to find that scheduled posting is my mortal enemy), however I hope I can start back posting here again with updates as things progress.

Cheers!
07/15/2016 11:58 am
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
Unlocked at the OP's request.
07/15/2016 2:38 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
04/05/2016 8:47 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
Since this thread is dead, I will go ahead and lock it. If the OP decides to pick it up again, send me a PM.
03/31/2016 12:38 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Dudamesh
April 2016 still no update :\ We're counting on you Death!
12/29/2015 1:44 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
08/26/2015 1:01 am
Level 29 : Expert Artist
Jedi
Expected release date?
08/26/2015 2:34 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
I stopped receiving test versions heh. Not soon, I guess.
08/01/2015 6:54 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1279828
[deleted]
07/28/2015 12:19 am
Level 35 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Kioki
free bump because I can
07/09/2015 6:18 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Architect
starcatcher77
How do you get people to read your forum posts? Me and my friends are making a map, and no matter how much I bump, or use clickbaits or fancy attractive titles no one so much as views it. Please help me!
07/18/2015 2:01 pm
Death
I'm not sure exactly. Possibly just because of how long it's been here? Dunno.

Also to anyone viewing this as an update to the dev-log, you can find more frequent posts at the subreddit
07/09/2015 5:39 pm
Death
The more I work on this game, the closer I am to completing it it. It was recently brought to my attention that I should begin building a community around my game, which is something that I haven't really attempted to do.

Today I'm going to change that. I've created two new pages devoted to Runed:
A Facebook page, and a Subreddit.

I'm going to put a large piece of text here to draw the attention of whomever is browsing through for images as well, just in-case they didn't notice the text.
New social links:
Facebook page
Subreddit
07/09/2015 2:14 am
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
It would be cool if you made a website for this game where we can post our custom maps.
07/09/2015 2:51 am
Death
Hopefully I can get this on steam, and then use the workshop.
07/08/2015 8:04 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Magical Girl
BIO
Bookmarked
07/08/2015 7:54 pm
Death
Decided to make a GIF of making a level and testing it ingame
07/08/2015 12:06 am
Death
I've just merged the level editor with the game!

The system previously consisted of two separate programs(Runed_Game, Runed_Editor), and thus two different projects to open etc.
This also meant that to load up/test a map that had been created the user had to do the following:
  • [li]Save the map[/li]
  • [li]Exit the editor[/li]
  • [li]Move the file from the /maps/ folder inside of the editor's data folder to the game's /maps/ folder[/li]
  • [li]Start the game[/li]
  • [li]Select the map[/li]
  • [li]Test the level[/li]

Now the system is:
  • [li]Save the map[/li]
  • [li]Go to main menu[/li]
  • [li]Select the map[/li]
  • [li]Test the level[/li]

This doesn't guarantee user-made maps, but it does mean that the likelihood of them has been significantly increased.
07/07/2015 12:31 pm
Death
Added a debug texture for knockback, a hostile slime AI, and a few other tweaks.

GIF

Notes / Things I am aware of
  • The jumping height still needs to be fixed
  • The slime becomes slightly transparent when going in front of the Rune Stone.
  • Alpaca's like apples.
07/06/2015 4:04 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Cyborg
Pepijn
Bookmarking
07/06/2015 2:49 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Kioki
kewl
07/06/2015 5:56 am
Level 30 : Artisan Architect
PizzaPenguin_
Why was the name changed from Remnant to Runed?
07/06/2015 2:43 pm
Death
There was another game with the same name released around 100 days in development, so the name had to be changed to Runed to accommodate.
07/06/2015 4:41 am
WTFshady
Great, logo might need some AA btw.
07/05/2015 8:19 pm
Death
Well, it's been quite a while since I've updated this forum post for the game, so I'm going to make a mega post that should catch you guys up :p

I've added a tileset selector UI, along with an interface for changing what variant a tile uses(this can also be accomplished by holding shift and scrolling on the tile.)

Here's a gif of it in action!
Click to reveal

Along with this, I've got some progress on a possible logo, share your opinions on it, if you will!
Click to reveal

New Entity System
During the past couple of days, I've been working on adding a new system to the level editor for Remnant. I added an Entity system to the editor which will allow for people to place things like lights and enemies.
The way I accomplished this, was having all tiletypes >100 be entity types, and adding a custom class called EntityType.
With this system I can easily do something like this:
public class EntityType_Light : EntityType
{
   public EntityType_Light()
   {
       propertyHandlers.Add("Range");
       propertyHandlers.Add("Intensity");
       propertyHandlers.Add("Color_R");
       propertyHandlers.Add("Color_G");
       propertyHandlers.Add("Color_B");

foreach (string s in propertyHandlers)
       {
           properties.Add("");
       }
   }
}

And then in another script:
myTile.entityType = new EntityType_Light();

Along with this I added a UI for editing the properties of an entity, as seen in this gif:
Click to reveal

Well, that's all I have for now.
The next thing that I will be adding is a preview of the color when editing the rgb values, and also a preview of lighting when in the editor's "preview" mode.

Lights... Lights everywhere!
Click to reveal

Slime AI, Camera FX, and a bunch of other stuff added.

Click to reveal
05/05/2015 3:21 am
Death
Reminder - The artist has created a website to share his own recollection of the progress.

Reminder - Our group site is located here.

Code

In-Game Developer Console
Over the course of this week, I've been working with another developer to get a developer console working in Remnant. The purpose of needing a developer console is usually to have the ability to debug problems/new code in-game.(Or just summon wheels of cheese everywhere..cough skyrim cough). I had began working on implementing enemy AI, and realized that I had no way to turn on and off my debugMode variable, besides changing it in-code/in-editor, and such was the birth of the command console.

GIF:
To answer one or two questions:

Will it be in the final game?
-Yes, no, I don't know. Still debating it.(However I'm leaning more towards a no.)

What have you accomplished so far, commands-wise?
-I haven't added any new commands so far, and am currently trying to find a solution to referencing JS's Eval from C#(Thinking maybe through referencing a JS script on a gameObj from a C# script or something.), aside from this, you can see a few of the default commands in the gif.

Enemy AI
I've also been working on enemy AI for Remnant, I haven't added actual enemy movement yet, however the framework for it is in place. What I do have though, is enemy sight. What I mean by enemy sight, is, well, where enemies can see the player. The code for it works like this(It's pretty generic, and used in most games.)
Check Distance to player
if it's less than x distance{
 Cast a 'ray' to the player
 if it hits the player{
   Change sight variable to true.
 }else{
   Change sight variable to false.
 }
}

After I finished this bit of code, I decided that for fine-tuning the distance variables, it'd be helpful to have a line drawn, between the Enemy's position, and the Player's position. This in-turn led to difficulties with getting GL.LINES to work, along with converting coordinates to on-screen coordinates.

GIF:

Art

Stylistic Changes
Several changes are going to be made to the art style of some of the characters, to hopefully provide a more concurrent and fluid art-style to the game.
First is the animation, which will be pushed for an overall more lively, bouncy feel.
Second is the visual style, which is currently non-distinct and lacks character.(Not super realistic, but not really cartoony either).
Some examples
The revamped human, next to the previous human sprite:

The revamped dog, next to the previous dog sprite:

The two together:

Along with this, a coloring system has been thought of, which will ensure that the contrast between lights and darks will be uniform across all sprites.

Barking animations
The original idea for the barking animation was to have it mesh into the dog's walking animation, however after debating it for a few moments, we decided on making the dog's bark animation be a stand-alone animation, that would take place whilst the dog is standing still.
This not only allows for easier code on my part, but also a more fluid animation. It gives great room to allow the dog to brace itself before barking, and also room to add effects(some seen in the gif.).

GIF:

Alright, well that's it for this week. I'll be back next week(possibly before then), to share more info on how things are going.  :)
Note - All Content of this post is subject to change. Including but not limited to: Code, Design, Art, and Sound
05/05/2015 3:09 am
Death
Level Editors
Hi. Recently I've been working on a map editor. I actually got quite a good prototype working, which included level saving and loading, destroying and placing, along with dynamic texture placement(Automatically adding edges to tiles and such where needed, for those who didn't know.). This was all well and good, until I realized that tiles would have to add tile variations and such, which was the first problem. Since I had built the entire system on a 2D array of Int's, I could only store 1 value, which I had been using for the texture type(so for instance, cave.), however at this point I would need to store at least two variables, one for the type, and one for a variant. Along with this I hadn't even thought of how I'd make save files without using my regular old' ints. My final idea was to scrap the editor's current state, and restart from scratch.(Yes I am aware that I had done this before, however that was for a completely different reason.(Which I guess I could go over if needed.))

The concept
I've began making some small design documents for the editor, in hopes of having this more thought out this time around. I'll go ahead and post them here:
Layer System - http://i.imgur.com/dLm83NW.png
Code stuff - http://i.imgur.com/diabPJj.png

The implementation
Well..urr... I do have code. However that code currently doesn't do much to show besides creating the actual grid of tiles, which are of course empty. I will however be updating this dev-log about the map editor as it progresses.

New Art
Recently my partner has continued work on the images shared before, however now turning them into an entire image:

Along with this, the bird is finally in pixel art, and no longer only a concept. Here's the flying animation:

Future posts
As I was conceptualizing the map editor, I got an idea. How about I update this dev log at a minimum of weekly? As I've seemed to notice a pattern in my posting here. I will post for a few days, and then stop for quite a while, and finally come back and apologize  :facepalm: Well now I'm going to stop that. I'll post my progress Weekly now. So you can get your weekly dosage of Remnant!

Edit - The artist for Remnant has created a website and posted a devlog which can be found here.

Note - All Content of this post is subject to change. Including but not limited to: Code, Design, Art, and Sound
04/01/2015 10:14 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Spiderro
Graphic and animations looks very nice. Im curious how this bird will look like...
03/31/2015 11:25 pm
Death
Well, due to my idiotic choice of installing Windows 10 TP, I haven't been able to work on the project for a while. However I have been working on it for the past day, so I thought I'd update you peeps on what I've done.  

-Modified the dog's animation system to support the transformation animation. Even though this doesn't look like much, it helped tighten up the transition from human to dog. Here's it in action:
There's also a hint to a feature >.>

-Modified the human's animation system to support spawning and death animations GIF(Note-still a little buggy.):

-Added pressure plates for moving platforms, along with modifying the code for moving platforms to accomodate turning on and off.

-Added global file system for certain textures that have a high possibility of being changed in the future(ie. Pressure plates, spikes, doors, etc.)

-Updated the bird's stamina bar GUI. if you will, ignore my dev textures. GIF:

-Modified the bird's stamina bar to only show when the player is a bird.

-Locked horizontal movement on ladders

-Implemented new walking animations
03/21/2015 7:40 pm
Level 29 : Expert Artist
Jedi
I must haz ur 2d skillz
03/21/2015 6:55 pm
Death
Pixel Perfect camera, bug fixes, and other stuff.
Welp, it's been about a month. I've began to realize just how slow development is moving for this game..
But like the 'good dev' I am, I must continue on.

I'll start with the alterations made the bird's movement system. For comparison, the old system was simply that the bird moved up,down,left and right with WASD.. no gravity or anything of the sort.  
Now, the bird's movement is based off of a sort of 'stamina' system. So for instance, you can fly up for 8 seconds, and then once landed wait for 8 seconds, and then fly for 8 seconds again.
To explain better, here's a gif: (Note - I have since tripled the speed of regenerating stamina.)

So, of course I've done more than this alone in a month's time. Along with this, I've made the player's camera move slightly in the direction that the player is facing.(Can be seen in the above gif), concepted a title menu(Gif Below), and added a pixel perfect camera(Comparison gif below).
Title Menu Gif:

Pixel Perfect Camera Comparison(without, and then with. Watch the waterfall specifically.):

With all of that out of the way, I fixed a few bugs.  :epileptic:
  • [li]If the player touches the side of a moving platform he is dragged along with it.[/li]
  • [li]Player's speed boosts when going down 1 tile.[/li]
  • [li]The player is only hurt when entering collision with spikes.[/li]

If any of you have any questions about anything, please feel free to ask!  
03/18/2015 7:05 am
starcatcher77
One free bump for a awesome game! (Don't stop working!"
02/27/2015 5:44 am
starcatcher77
Ah, I understand. Regardless I'll buy it on PC too.
02/21/2015 6:53 am
WTFshady
Will there be Alpha/Beta testing?
02/21/2015 8:04 am
Death
Yes, actually there has already been
Sorry I forgot to mention about that. I'll go make a form really quick for it, then re-edit this post with the link.

Edit: oop, and it's up. http://goo.gl/forms/7tzTIhapt0
02/21/2015 6:20 am
Level 35 : Artisan Blockhead
Bubz
Well, this is progressing very nicely Looking really great so far Death.

Also, remember when I told you about those blend trees? You should go ahead and check them out.
02/19/2015 9:08 pm
Death
Phew, been busy trying to get certain features working and such. I don't have any screenshots/gifs to show you for any of the features I've been working on, however I do have a gif of the door's animation, which is at the end of each level.

Besides this, I don't have anything else, regarding media.  

Now, on to what I've been working on.

Among other things, the glaring thing that I've been working on is the animation system. (Yes, I am aware that I've spent a lot of time on it so far.) My most recent addition to the animation system, came in the form of jumping animations. As we began implementing the animations into the game, we began to realize that the jumping animation didn't exactly look quite right when jumping vertically, and not laterally. Due to this, I decided that I'd modify the animation system to support both. Here's a screenshot of how the current animation system looks for the human character:

Yes, I know, it looks horrible. But that isn't the point. The point is that it works, and at the moment that's all that matters.

To sum up what's happening here, here's how one sequence of the animation playthrough goes for Laterally jumping:
(In the animation handler script):
System checks if we are jumping
System checks if the player is moving left and/or right
if{    AnimationState=2}else{    AnimationState=7}

(In the actual animator):
if our animation state is 2, go to -Jumping-.
Once we arrive at Jumping, the animator continues through this animation, and holds the last frame until we are 'falling'.
Once we are falling, the same basis of jumping is repeated, however with a falling animation. It doesn't change until we hit the ground.
Once we've hit the ground, the impact animation plays through, and we are back on our merry way.

Past the point of this, I've also been working on fixing some bugs. For instance, we've had a bug with animation's playing at insanely high and then slow speeds.. here's a gif:
Disclaimer: Bug has since been fixed.

After all of this, I've been working on making a level that my colleague and I have been busy creating an actual working level.

Phew, that was a lot to say. If you still don't understand something, or have any questions, feel free to message me, or just reply on this post!
02/15/2015 7:28 pm
starcatcher77
This is amazing, you should get a WiiU developer license and release it on the Eshop.
If you do that I will love you forever!
In all seriousness this game looks amazing! I'd pay 100 dollars to play this.
02/18/2015 1:28 am
Death
Heh, I'll be sure to continue working. Thanks for the inspiration!

I would put it on the Eshop, however I don't believe Unity supports WiiU/nintendo consoles.
02/26/2015 6:33 pm
starcatcher77
It actually does, it's its main language for 3rd party indie teams.
I re-emphasis that this game would be great on WiiU, you could turn into the different creatures via the game pad. Which would also work on 3ds if you used the lower screen.
Here's a link to the dev page.
https://wiiu-developers.nintendo.com/
02/27/2015 1:30 am
Death
See, it's really going to sound like I'm making excuses, but there are certain criteria's that must be met in order for me to develop for another platform. One of the points in that criteria is that I have to have something to test it on for that console, and I don't own a WiiU or a 3DS. It may have to wait until after release when I'll be able to purchase one of these(hopefully)
02/14/2015 9:47 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
HissTheCreeper
Well, you have a definite future buyer in me! I'm up for it if you need any beta testers this game looks awesome and I wish you the best of luck!
02/14/2015 9:14 am
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
NevetCS
Will it be Free To Play? If not, how much do you think it will cost?
02/14/2015 11:45 pm
Death
It won't be free to play, however the price is still under debate. May be around 10$, possibly $15+. I can't say much about the price, since things like these change quickly.
02/18/2015 1:50 am
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Dudamesh
I would like it VERY MUCH if it is free, even if just for one week(What i meant was free for one week just after Releasing it) xD
But I doubt that, I feel a 110% chance of it being not free

What I also like is it being available on Mobile (Play Store or App Store)

(Suggestions:
More Transformations or unlocking transformations?
Skin Changing! or something like unlocking skins xD
tools! tools that The Player use so Transformations are not so common
A Story I guess
Buttons or Levers that activate stuff like an Elevator)

With Suggestions #3 and 5
I made up a part of a lvl xD

Player goes inside an elevator
Throws a Rock at the Lever
Activates Elevator
xD
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome