Rules You Should Have On Your Minecraft Server

ashland50's Avatar ashland507/28/16 10:22 am
7/29/2016 6:16 pm
JozyP's Avatar JozyP
It's sad really. Everyone hates me now. Never mind. Hey guys, I'm back!
You better not say your hate comments in below. I guess I'm gonna have to survive with people that think they are smart on the forums. OK. Let's forget about it, shall we please?!

Anyway, here are some rules you should put on your server. Give the right punishments.
You shouldn't allow swearing. Get a chat filter.

Bypassing the Chat Filter - Players saying -nope- should get a 24 hours mute. Second time, 30 days. Then if it continues, a permanent mute.

Hacking - KillAura and Forcefield should have a 30 days ban. If it happened the third time, permanent ban. Derp hack is cosmetic and would not hurt anyone.

If players had Tracers, I would ban them for 24 hours. Second time would be 30 days. Then, I would consider permanently banning them. Tracers does not affect as bad as others but it is still bad.

If players had X-Ray and ChestESP, it should be the same punishment as KillAura and Forcefield.

Advertising - If a player did "Wanna come to Hypixel with me dude?!", I would warn them. If it continued, it would be 24 hours mute. Then, 30 days mute. After that, we know what it is. It's permanent. If a player did "!! JOIN NOW !! - FREE OP - IP: 123.456.789.012:25565", I would permanently mute them.

Discrimination/Racism - If a player said -inappropriate- or something homophobic, I would give them 24 hours mute. If it continued, 30 days. After that, permanent mute.

Ban/Mute Evading - Give them a IP ban.

-snip-
ashland50
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/29/2016 6:10 pm
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
Look, I don't know how popular your server was, but I used to always want servers to be anti curse. Considering that everyone nowadays curses anyway, it just makes people mad when they can say a word that they don't think is offensive. Sure, they can be blocks, but you shouldn't mute for cursing, unless it is very excessive, to the point that it is spam. Also, if it is directly offending another player, and it's being used to harrass someone, then you can get harsh. (Oh, oops, I mixed up swearing with the punishments for racism and discriminationn sorry.)
I don't know what server lets hacking pass, and if they do, it's because they don't have a choice. Some hacks are pretty tough.
I never understood the advertising thing. Unless they are publicly spamming about a server, it's not like they are really convincing anyone.
Don't come onto the forums to tell us what idiots we are, when you clearly haven't even read the rules. Look at all the snipits the moderator had to make so that your forum post wasnt full of naughty words. You server may have a filter, but you sure dont. The only idiot I see is the one who feels sorry for his/her/its self. You aren't always right, and that doesn't mean that everyone you don't like is stupid.
07/29/2016 2:52 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
XTimeX
Imo, the rules should be quite simple yet "powerfull". Allow swearing as long as it's not directed towards anyone but to yourself, and even that should have it's limit. Cheaters get perm. ban, if they appeal on forums they might be unbanned. Racism, sexism, radicalism and excessive nationalism is perm. mute, or perm. ban. Depends on the nature of it. Caps lock can be used as long as it's not excessive, or else mute/tempban. Advertising is perm. ban, no exceptions. And the best part of it, there are no strict punishment rules. The mutes are to be given out by staff members as they feel appropriate. On end of the week, staff members need to say all of the things they done on the server during the week.
07/29/2016 5:39 am
Level 38 : Artisan Dragon
rosedragon
My server have 28 rules >_> .... I feel terrified by itself.
07/29/2016 10:37 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
I get the feeling they can be condensed a little? :p
07/29/2016 11:18 am
Level 38 : Artisan Dragon
rosedragon
07/28/2016 11:57 am
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
In my experience as an admin on a small server, my views for server rules are a bit different. Like for hacking, I prefer to use Titanfall's method for punishment. They can still play, but only with other players who are deemed hackers as well.
07/28/2016 2:36 pm
raidarr
While I find that a valid strategy for most subjects, I can't say I would do it for hackers - hacker = exploiter, and a person like that is a dangerous presence on the server in any regard, particularly on the higher end. I'd find it better to just wipe them out.
07/28/2016 2:52 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
In this method, the hackers are forced to be with their own kind. No more easy kills for them. I also took some inspiration from Red Dead Redemption's bullying policy. If you bully players, you're deemed a player killer and will be targeted by other players and the law enforcement. It's a fun system really.
07/28/2016 11:35 am
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
Personally, I don't care if people swear. I'm a sailor myself, so if I had a server I wouldn't have a rule like that. Just my preference. Anything racist or homophobic still wouldn't be okay though. That said, if someone attempted to bypass my chat filter to say something like that, they'd get a permanent mute. They could appeal if they wanted to, but I wouldn't tolerate that stuff at all.

The only thing on there that wouldn't get a permanent ban from me would be advertising and that'd only be if the person didn't include a link/IP and only did it once. If they continued or included an IP or a link, they'd get a permanent mute from me.

It annoys me to high hell when admins won't get rid of someone who is causing problems because they're concerned about finding more than one reason they shouldn't be there and I wouldn't want my players to have to deal with that. If the person deserves to stick around and made an honest mistake, their appeal will show that by not making excuses or placing blame on others.
07/28/2016 11:29 am
Level 40 : Master Electrician
-WaffleKing-
"It's sad really. Everyone hates me now. Never mind. Hey guys, I'm back!
You better not say your hate comments in below. I guess I'm gonna have to survive with people that think they are smart on the forums. OK. Let's forget about it, shall we please?!"

Great way to start your post by attention seeking for sympathy.

Why are you telling people what they should and shouldn't put as bans. Also, a swearing filter? Really. Have you heard of something called free speech. If you can't handle people swearing on your server, you're ovbiously too young to own a server. You actually want to give someone a 24 hour mute for saying a swear word. Jesus.

As for the discrimination thing, you have it totally blown out of proportion. Being gay myself, I understand that homophobia is a problem. However, you need to understand that people might not be saying it to offend. For example:

[CONVERSATION 1]
Player 1: Please leave me alone.
Player 2: lol why? are you gay?
Player 1: No... ):
Player 2: Ha! GAYYYYYYY!

[CONVERSATION 2]
Player 1: Lol check it out i just made my house out of pink stained clay.
Player 2: Lol you're so gay
Player 1: Haha lol

See the difference? -inappropriate-
07/28/2016 11:16 am
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
07/28/2016 11:15 am
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
I just perm ban for everything. No muting, nor temp bans. Just perm ban from the spot.
07/28/2016 10:56 am
Level 22 : Expert Network
ashland50It's sad really. Everyone hates me now. Never mind. Hey guys, I'm back!
You better not say your hate comments in below. I guess I'm gonna have to survive with people that think they are smart on the forums. OK. Let's forget about it, shall we please?!

what are you even talking about.

ashland50You shouldn't allow swearing. Get a chat filter.

why though. does it really matter? this is the internet.
ashland50Hacking - KillAura and Forcefield should have a 30 days ban. If it happened the third time, permanent ban. Derp hack is cosmetic and would not hurt anyone.

If players had Tracers, I would ban them for 24 hours. Second time would be 30 days. Then, I would consider permanently banning them. Tracers does not affect as bad as others but it is still bad.

If players had X-Ray and ChestESP, it should be the same punishment as KillAura and Forcefield.

do people even really hack minecraft? just ban them permanently for being so depressing

ashland50Discrimination/Racism - -snip- or something like -snip-, I would give them 24 hours mute. If it continued, 30 days. After that, permanent mute.-

rip jokes.
HEY DID SOMEONE REMOVE THE "free speech" FROM THAT LAST LINE
irony2stronk
07/28/2016 10:44 am
Level 23 : Expert Network
risha
Honestly, I think these punishments are;
a) Too absolute
b) Too harsh
I just use SimpleWarnings to warn players; 3 warnings is a 24-hour tempban, and 5 is a pernament ban.
07/28/2016 10:41 am
raidarr
-Boils down to completely personal opinion here, but I think folks that can't handle swearing... heh, you know how that expression ends, I suppose. Point is, my rule would be yes, it's fine, excessive or overtly offending, a "shut up" mute for a while and subjecting the user to a lecture on the issue with what he just did typically results in either the user leaving, user being unmuted and immediately go off and get banned for being a toxic ____, or apologizing and being a decent presence. Win any which way. Otherwise, swearing is tied in with offending, and offense is a "taken" thing.
-Personally, if it goes past 7 days, I make it permanent with the chance of appeal. Assigning long values is bureaucratic and not something that really fits on minecraft servers. If it's over a week and the person cares about the server, they will care to appeal the decision. Otherwise, it's just an open backdoor for future returnees that end up getting a permanent mute for gross disrespect.
-I approach hacks in 3 levels. The first is stuff like optifine - flat out don't even blink on that one. Second, the moderate stuff. Not enough to hurt the server or other players, but I would give a very cross/very thin warning (yes, both is possible) and keep a good eye on the user. Any repeat is an appeal-able ban. (for the record, any appealed bans that have any sort of second level or multiple first level offenses gets a permanent ban in my book) Level 3, trying to force OP, kill auras, whatever, ban, evidence (be it visual from a very high staff member or the recordings of anyone who can get the evidence without letting the hack hurt the server) and the key to that ban thrown away.
-Discrimination/racism I merge into the general rule regarding disrespect, which also covers people blowing off at other users and staff without justification. I am personally a little lax when there's a good point being made, but when it just devolves into unbacked stupidity, that's when the moderation rolls in (or if they continue to make a scene...)

But ultimately, rules boil down to opinion. Op's ruleset is functional.

Oh, and any decent hacker does in fact have counter-proxy measures. They aren't too hard to find and utilize :p
07/28/2016 10:37 am
Level 1 : New Crafter
TopHatGhost
I'm kinda stupid, so don't take me serious, but I'm sure that you can do a MAC address ban. A MAC address is like an IP address, but is normally permanent. You can change your MAC address, but it's really hard to for most people.
07/28/2016 10:53 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
I changed my IP by changing one number in my mac address and I got a completely new IP. I changed my mac address by my IP. Also, you can call your ISP(Comcast, Verizon, ATT, etc) to change your IP.
07/28/2016 10:34 am
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
Rules should really be made on a server-by-server basis for different scenarios. Personally I instaban for xray - and I have a system that lets me see their in-game screen to check for it too.
07/28/2016 11:48 am
Level 1 : New Miner
XTimeX
I thought that in-game screen is completely client side?
07/28/2016 8:14 pm
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
It is, but there's a command built into MCHeli (which is a client/server mod) which takes a screenshot on the client then sends it to the server, where an admin can download it and view it. I've caught a few people using xray thanks to that
07/28/2016 9:34 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
Wait what, why does McHeli have that? But anyway what a nice trick.. seems odd for a mod about Heli and planes (That actually work unlike flans) To have that built in.
07/29/2016 6:16 pm
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
Because it was made in Japan, and the Japanese government is after your Minecraft.
07/28/2016 10:30 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
ashland50
Unless you use a anti-proxy plugin. You can also install something on your server that will show their details. Not the Minecraft server, what you're running it on.

I think there is something out there. Google has it.

For example:

IP: 123.456.789.012
Operating System: Windows 8.1
07/28/2016 10:24 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
Ip banning is not really that effective since they can just use a vpn or change their ip. Changing ips is easy.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome