Same old servers

seraphHD's Avatar seraphHD3/27/15 11:00 am
1 emeralds 1.4k 37
3/28/2015 8:30 pm
Luna's Avatar Luna
Hello everyone!

I'm here to share my concerns about the recent minecraft servers.

it seems like there are no more innovative and ambitious new servers.

back in 2010 when I went on the new servers category of PMC I'd find really cool servers with new concepts and stuff now it seems like I all see is pvp faction, prison, skyblock, minigames etc...

ok so let me get this straight

there are already TONS AND TONS of pvp faction servers that everybody is satisfied with, why the hell are people are going to join yours if there is already a better one, yeah okay you might get 20 people online at the same time but it's so insignifant that it's a waste of time imo.

on the other side if you make something new that nobody else has done, everyone will want to join your server and check it out, new concepts are rare these days and hard to find, take for example wynncraft, it literally came out of nowhere and a bunch of people started playing it because it was innovative and different.

tl;dr stop making pvp factions servers and make something new and unique that people will actually enjoy.
seraphHD
Level 8 : Apprentice Mage

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/28/2015 8:30 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Architect
Luna
I agree completely with OP.

Prison is such a boring and stupid idea, I don't get that one whatsoever. PVP And faction servers generally are really ugly with all the prefixes, and vanilla is just too dull.

I've tried a couple of unique server ideas, and just keep hitting road blocks.

It's taken me quite a while to develop my newest ideas, trying to go off the wall and develop something unique, but you're right, it's tough to develop the player base for something like that. Most kids don't care to try something new, or challenging. Finally coming together.

Check my profile for server info if you care to join, just agreeing generally with OP.

seraphHDHello everyone!

I'm here to share my concerns about the recent minecraft servers.

it seems like there are no more innovative and ambitious new servers.

back in 2010 when I went on the new servers category of PMC I'd find really cool servers with new concepts and stuff now it seems like I all see is pvp faction, prison, skyblock, minigames etc...

ok so let me get this straight

there are already TONS AND TONS of pvp faction servers that everybody is satisfied with, why the hell are people are going to join yours if there is already a better one, yeah okay you might get 20 people online at the same time but it's so insignifant that it's a waste of time imo.

on the other side if you make something new that nobody else has done, everyone will want to join your server and check it out, new concepts are rare these days and hard to find, take for example wynncraft, it literally came out of nowhere and a bunch of people started playing it because it was innovative and different.

tl;dr stop making pvp factions servers and make something new and unique that people will actually enjoy.
03/28/2015 8:29 pm
seraphHD
EmpathyHealsit can take time to grow a server this way, and many server owners from what I see give up trying

It does take time to make a server, it is hard, if you don't want to go through all that then don't make one it's simple,

if you give up on your server it just means you weren't responsible enough to keep trying and trying until it works, if your server has a good concept, eventually it'll be popular trust me about this, i've been playing this game since alpha and previously owned/ co-owned many servers.

Edit: ty furry <3

Edit 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQ09apOLwY
I uploaded this video and created this channel for my one piece server this morning, precisely 6 hours ago, I already have 37 subs, 125~ views, 22~ likes, again proving my point the community wants something different.
03/28/2015 8:26 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
03/28/2015 8:22 pm
Level 42 : Master Zombie
EmpathyHeals
Well what do you suggest some people who have unique servers do to stand out? Sometimes some of the deeper and more complex features are also more difficult to convey through traditional means like banners because the word Quest, for example, can mean different things to different people. Sometimes people don't read long ad posts that describe new features. There is also the attention span of most in the community to consider. There are unique servers out there but after some advertising options online that makes it hard to differentiate are exhausted, it comes down to word of mouth. It works, but it can take time to grow a server this way, and many server owners from what I see give up trying. Or they start doing things they think all other servers are doing like factions and stuff thinking that is what the community really wants. That's just one theory.
03/28/2015 8:07 pm
seraphHD
Since everyone is doing advertisment here I guess I can too lol

http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... craft-opm/
03/28/2015 7:29 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Network
sierramig
My server is just survival with a shop and a few other things. I agree with you I don't really enjoy factions that much anymore, but it was fun at the beginning. It's just being overdone now and I'd much rather play survival. My server isn't exactly done but if anyone would like to join the IP is cobbleboxmc.mcph.co
03/28/2015 7:24 pm
Level 42 : Master Mage
Endersteve
Aah yes, true true. I hate going to the servers page and just seeing a whole bunch of crappy PVP, MLG servers. What happened to the good ol' days where comunity was what mattered, it's so hard to find a comunity server now that's full of good people.
03/28/2015 7:20 pm
seraphHD
HariusAwesome44I don't really have anything meaningful to add to this discussion on the whole, I just happen to agree with OP. Still probably would make a lazy unoriginal server myself because I'm lazy, but like, yeah.

Also:

seraphHD
ExplicintNetworkWow do you think you're the king now that you hate factions?

GROW UP

I assume you don't know how to read, since I never mentioned hating factions, all I said was that there is too many faction servers, you just look really stupid now.

Shots fired.

Shrekt.

yeah dude that own was so hardcore that I got banned 1 day from PMC
03/28/2015 6:35 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Hunter
Mysterieux
I agree with this statement, this is why I've created a server that's in my opinion very unique. It isn't a faction server but a mix of survival, pvp, rpg and custom plugins. The plugin that makes my server stand out the most would be slimefun. It implements things such as machines, different types of crafting tables, guns, unlockable armor, weapons misc and much more, it looks like you need a mod to play here but you don't just join with regular vanilla minecraft launcher. Also random buildings spawn with some valuable goodies around the world in which some of the items you can use to make machines, guns etc. Mystery chests, gambling, grief prevention, jobs as well as many more plugins that make this server stand out, we don't use factions or anything like that either. The IP is on my forum signature, you can also check out my profile > servers.
03/28/2015 6:24 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Farmer
jmh44
back in early beta and late alpha when i started playing in servers there were only servers with no greifing/pvp now i cant find a towny/town oriented kind of server with protection and chest protection.
03/28/2015 2:14 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Grump
HariusAwesome44
I don't really have anything meaningful to add to this discussion on the whole, I just happen to agree with OP. Still probably would make a lazy unoriginal server myself because I'm lazy, but like, yeah.

Also:

seraphHD
ExplicintNetworkWow do you think you're the king now that you hate factions?

GROW UP

I assume you don't know how to read, since I never mentioned hating factions, all I said was that there is too many faction servers, you just look really stupid now.

Shots fired.

Shrekt.
03/27/2015 5:40 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc696169
[deleted]
03/27/2015 5:21 pm
seraphHD
If you're adressing me, I'm already working on a pretty decent and innovative project.

http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... craft-opm/
03/27/2015 4:58 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1638765
[deleted]
03/27/2015 4:40 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Cake
Candy
-snip-
03/27/2015 4:34 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Modder
guestds
two things: 1st a server that i was making that i didnt know that 192.168.~.~~~ ips didnt work publicly just on your network that i called Creative Craft but i deleted it and funny logic i cant actually tell if they saw it and watched it get deleted or just coincidentally they named it the same thing before and 2nd i hate faction servers because a server i went on you werent allowed to then the mod changed the rules and im 90% sure they cheated items in to kill us even though we had an admin in ours and our faction was also a peaceful one but basicly they changed the rules to no raiding other factions again after spawn killing me and everyone else being far away but they get point things every kill and if your killed then you lose like 5 per death and it went to negative (i called minus lol) which is my horible bad little reason to hate them but if i have op on a faction server id just peaceful it and give us all full iron sets of armour/tools (hopefully you understood this)
03/27/2015 2:13 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Toast
RESIDENT MADMAN
SEKWAH41I don't think he was saying I don't like them so don't make them but rather trying to say there are too many of them so making more has no significance.

BlackLatosJust to make this clear, it's not easy making an original server. Not everyone is a programmer that can make his own plugins. What you're saying now is really ignorant.

Also there isn't much point of saying not everyone is a programmer and can make custom plugins, I mean I've found people who are willing to code for others and even a few have done free work including myself. Also you don't need to be a programmer to make something original, I mean I know a few people who have made original servers using pre existing plugins like magic spells and citizens to make some cool stuff.

You can use Skript to create plugins. It super super easy and can be picked up by some of the newest beginners. It is a lot like english and there are documentations and eveything. With addons, you can do anything.

Also, I just think there are too many of them, and unless you have a fresh idea you should not make a server EXACT to another one.
03/27/2015 2:07 pm
Level 88 : Elite Senpai
sekwah41
I don't think he was saying I don't like them so don't make them but rather trying to say there are too many of them so making more has no significance.

BlackLatosJust to make this clear, it's not easy making an original server. Not everyone is a programmer that can make his own plugins. What you're saying now is really ignorant.

Also there isn't much point of saying not everyone is a programmer and can make custom plugins, I mean I've found people who are willing to code for others and even a few have done free work including myself. Also you don't need to be a programmer to make something original, I mean I know a few people who have made original servers using pre existing plugins like magic spells and citizens to make some cool stuff.
03/27/2015 2:06 pm
RESIDENT MADMAN
It works on 1.8 too. Lots of cool addons are out there too, like SkQuery, which allow you to create custom chests.

Something I did on my server is create signs so you can link two chests publically. Like a public enderchest. You can also do cool things like do super speed while walking on prismarine without using potion effects. Once you learn how to use this simple scripting language the possibilities are endless. Just google skript and make sure google doesn't correct it to "script" because its like swiss or something. Idk. But this is a really cool thing and its super easy to do! I wish everyone knew about this and some cool things would exist.
03/27/2015 2:04 pm
RESIDENT MADMAN
I agree with SeraphHD. He has made a good point that I agree with a lot. You guys can like factions. I like factions. We aren't talking factions. We are talking servers. You can never find a server that isn't Factions KitPvP Minigames Skyblock ETC. Factions is fun, but there are too many alike servers, not just factions but you get what I mean. I think we need to see some cool innovative stuff. You can't just run a server cuz. I think if you want to run a server you should have a fresh idea. There are so many cool plugins out there to use, so you don't have to be a programmer. Also, Skript and some of its addons allow you to write code in simple english

//Spacing is a tab
on rightclick:
player is holding a diamond
broadcast "%player% just clicked!"
give an emerald to the player

It is really easy, and you should check it out if you want to customize stuff.

SeraphHD if you want maybe we could start a server together or something that is different and has unique innovative ideas. I miss the way servers used to be back when I first bought the game, and I think people need to get some fresh ideas.
03/27/2015 1:42 pm
Level 25 : Expert Cowboy
Aethroz
Rant? Check.
Majority of players caring? Failed to load.

The majority of players won't care, because they are happy on factions/etc that they enjoy. That's why the servers are populated, and why there are a bunch of them. People play them. A lot of people.

I don't see what you are trying to change.
People will get 20 players and be happy. A few might try something new.
Problem is, most "new" is not actually new.

All of this has been ranted before. Good luck with whatever your goal is
03/27/2015 11:59 am
Level 1 : New Explorer
TheVerySlyFox
Agreed, I mean I really miss the Nostalgic days of Minecraft when it was pure Vanilla, but we all don't get what we want buddy. Besides, Factions and Minigames servers have been around long enough to where something new will pop up soon, it's going to happen sooner or later. Minecraft server genres are allot like music genres, or fashion trends. Right now Factions and Minigames, Skyblock etc; is just the trend for right now, and inevitably something new will come around, you just gotta be patient.
03/27/2015 11:59 am
Level 1 : New Network
HA30
Me and my devs have made a cod plugin.
I'm still a noob at java but with other coders to help me I'm gonna make some more custom gamemodes

Come check it out at mcnico.mcserver.ws
P.S.: Please ignore the banner, I'll make a new one xD
03/27/2015 11:57 am
Level 42 : Master Modder
A5H73Y
I completely agree with OP.
I was sick of faction servers when they were new, but that's just me.

You really have to put effort in if you want to become unique compared to the VERY generic servers you seen nowadays. Complaining it's hard or that every idea has been taken should be a clear indication your server is going to suck.
03/27/2015 11:28 am
Level 20 : Expert Pokemon
GamingAleks
Just to make this clear, it's not easy making an original server. Not everyone is a programmer that can make his own plugins. What you're saying now is really ignorant.
03/27/2015 4:45 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1072506
[deleted]
03/27/2015 4:11 pm
seraphHD
If you're willing to make a server and expect it to be easy then you are the one being ignorant, making a server takes time and effort, if you don't want to think of a new concept because "It's too hard" then don't make a server.
03/27/2015 11:26 am
Level 49 : Master Creeper Hugger
Cookiesz
So you hate factions? Well, a lot of people like them. It's not all about you.
03/27/2015 11:11 am
Level 22 : Expert Network
YTCereal
I Love Modded Servers edc and command blocks Servers

Screw u factions..

03/27/2015 11:07 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
RealSilk
Wow do you think you're the king now that you hate factions?

GROW UP
03/27/2015 4:07 pm
seraphHD

Shots fired.
03/27/2015 11:15 am
Level 22 : Expert Network
YTCereal
Just Let Kids Think.
Thats Their Pick.

ExplicintNetwork , u never ever get Bored Of Factions?
Getting Raided? Getting Spawn Killed? Same Mmmo Stuff? Getting Betraided?
03/27/2015 1:18 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
RealSilk
No, I don't get bored.
03/27/2015 1:52 pm
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
03/27/2015 11:05 am
Level 13 : Journeyman Warrior
KingAkward
I agree. JUST STOP MAKING CRAPPY FACTIONS AND STUFF, MAKE SOMETHING CREATIVE! OLD MINECRAFTERS UNITE, WE MUST STOP THE DARK AGES!
03/27/2015 5:10 pm
Level 43 : Master Pokemon
Jacob Rigoberto
So, Mr. Unique, what's your creative idea?
03/27/2015 5:07 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Engineer
Kypro
I Agree
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome