Science in Minecraft?

NeroDeath's Avatar NeroDeath9/15/14 7:47 pm
1 emeralds 2.3k 90
10/7/2014 8:55 pm
NeroDeath's Avatar NeroDeath
Hello my name is Nero and on my Youtube channel I have a science series called, "Nero's Science Segment". For a future episode I have decided I want it to be Minecraft themed, so I am here to ask:

If you could have one thing in Minecraft researched, and explained using science what would it be?

Understand that there are some questions that can not naturally be answered, but nevertheless could be attempted. If you need an idea of what the final product may look like this is the playlist for the series.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... BbdDxolHjp

I am eager to hear what you might want to know. Thank You.
NeroDeath
Level 12 : Journeyman Ranger

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/07/2014 8:20 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Ranger
BestMinerGavin
Why is the world of Minecraftia created with blocks?
And
Why can you bend diamond?
10/07/2014 8:55 pm
NeroDeath
1 that question relates more to the game Miencraft, not really science so that is something you would have to ask Notch or Mojang.

You don't really bend it, but mold it and piece it together. When diamonds are put into things like rings, they usually use diamond tipped tools because diamond cuts diamond. In Steve's case you probably do the same. That method though is a bit dated, I heard it on some special they had on TV. A more current method would be outlined here:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/earth/geology/diamond3.htm
About how they cut diamonds. We can't assume the diamond armor or diamond sword is all made out of pure diamonds, there is the possibility it is mixed with other things to help it stay together. There are many possibilities to how it could be done, but until we get more information we can't say anything concrete. Although as I mentioned in the video Steven must have some muscles since he can grind bones into dust with his bare hands, not an easy task, so we don't really know the limits of his strength just yet. It could be Steve is stronger than diamonds and can do things with them we can not.
10/07/2014 7:20 pm
Level 9 : Apprentice Narwhal
lobberhead
How were pigmen originated?
10/07/2014 7:49 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Ranger
BestMinerGavin
I have one, but I think it's against site rules

I believe that what happened is that pigs started getting on their hind legs, and then they got more intelligent, found gold swords and moved to the Nether.
10/07/2014 7:57 pm
NeroDeath
LobbersHow were pigmen originated?

I answered that already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noi4qitNog8
10/07/2014 7:16 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Paladin
CommanderNeville
What caused the formation of ores in Minecraftia, and why can't any more ores generate over any length of time?
10/07/2014 8:00 pm
NeroDeath
There are a lot of factors that go into ore production. I don't know a lot about it to say for certain ,but I found an article that may give you some better answers than I can provide.
http://www.ethlife.ethz.ch/archive_articles/121120_erzlagerstaetten_per/index_EN
10/07/2014 8:13 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
If I can pitch in, I don't know how Minecraft ores form, but as for the last one, there's always a finite amount of material. You know, law of conservation of mass, etc., etc.,
10/07/2014 8:48 pm
NeroDeath
That doesn't mean matter can't change to another form of matter. Everything around you is composed of elements on the periodic table. Each containing their own concentrations of elements. Most stone or rock usually contains amounts of iron, copper, gold, etc. Depending on where it forms. Basically there is a finitie amount of material out there, but that material can change from one form to another still remaining the same. This article is one of my favorites about how this is done. It is all theoretical, but most things in science are and are usually based off of theories.
http://www.upcomingtechnology.org/converting-mercury-to-gold/
10/07/2014 6:00 pm
NeroDeath
Any more science q's kind of have some down time. I.e. ignoring my current responsilibities in favor of just answering some questions.
10/07/2014 5:12 pm
Level 49 : Master Baconator
BenDragonsword
Hey, I thought this was a really interesting project, and I thought I'd share a blog with you where I have explored some similar topics in detail:

http://pmc.la/wCNQB

However, this blog (MoTheory) is not just focused on science. My goal is to structure the Minecraft world as a feasible place, and discover both its secrets within game and its real world equivalents. As such, I've covered and will continue to cover Politics, Economics, Science, Mythology, The Supernatural, History, Real-Life Historical tie ins, etc in Minecraft.

Feel free to use the content I've covered in my blog to help you create your videos, and PM me if you would like any help or want me to elaborate. I'm usually on my computer doing this sort of stuff on Friday Nights (7-10PM), Saturday Mornings (Till 1PM) and Nights (7-10PM), and Sundays - US Eastern time. Thanks, and I'm looking forward to your future work.
10/06/2014 4:33 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
illuminati128k
Why is the edge of the world x/z 300,000,000?
10/06/2014 8:33 pm
NeroDeath
Probably that is all the game can reasonably set up? You are asking something that can not have science applied to it in a realistic sense, my best guess is there had to be a point where the game stops rendering land.
10/06/2014 10:47 pm
Level 14 : Journeyman Modder
searchndstroy
Yes, the game has to stop rendering land at some point since the x, y, and z axes are capped. (Not sure at what number though, it's either the max value of a Java float or a Java double.) Now that I think about it, if I went past the x's max value, the number would overflow(When a number goes past it's max value, it goes back to it's min value), so it would go in a circle! So, the Minecraft world is not infinite terrain, but it's a world shaped in a circle..?
I really doubt the Minecraft world is square though...

Just an FYI, I do realise it is possible to get a number higher than Java's double. It is not easy, but it is possible.
10/07/2014 4:47 pm
NeroDeath
We can't confirm it is a circle just yet, for that to be true we would have to be able to go around the circumference of the world from say point Alpha and end at point Alpha.
10/05/2014 5:16 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Warrior
EndergirlCobblestone
how come the player with no armor can survive a 22 meter block drop? that would definetly kill me!
10/05/2014 5:54 pm
NeroDeath
You would be surprised what people can survive. I talked about human bones in the science video I made about minecraft, that should answer your question.
10/05/2014 3:15 pm
Level 59 : Grandmaster Explorer
Desdruktiva
Why is Lapis lazuli needed to enchant something?
What makes the giant mushroom island biome?
How high can you teoretically fly with only creeper explosions?
How can a single watersourceblock produce infinite ammounts of water?
10/05/2014 4:44 pm
NeroDeath
Lapis Lazuli has been associated with being a very royal or precious stone. I do believe there are some myths that reference Lapis as a magical stone. This is probably a reference to it, but since it is related to magic in Minecraft we throw the "Magical Variable" on it.

Dirt covered with fungi. Mycelium if I remember right is actually a part of thread-like branching hairs of the fungi, but it has been a while since I have had to bother with fungi and I am not really in the mood to go sifting through my books. I'm sure you can google it to find a better definition of myceliuem, but it is a mass of thread-like parts of fungi. The growth of larger mushrooms could be attributed to the high amount of nutrients absorbed through the mycelium, but this is all speculation, although it would explain a lot.

That would require lengthy testing, but I guess the best way to find it is to be directly above the creeper while it is trapped in a block of water, and let it blow below you. Making sure to keep a graph of you distance from the creeper and how high it sent you. Then replicate the same test being further and further away from the creeper until you don't go as high upon the explosions. From there you look at your graph and you should be able to get an answer. It may help to preform the same test another 2 times with all of the measurements on you first graph so you can average you best values together to find an average height.

We have to apply the "Magical Variable" to water as well since it down not obey our understanding of water in the real world. You can go to the bottom of the ocean in Minecraft and not be crushed by the pressure, this is enough to prove it does not play by our normal rules and thus another element in Minecraft that we can't explain properly by science, and instead would require serious investigation to conclude anything substantial.
10/04/2014 6:06 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Pig
sso2
Hunger
10/04/2014 7:31 pm
NeroDeath
What about it?
10/04/2014 5:47 pm
NeroDeath
Update: I got interviewed for this if you want to read it.
http://gearcraft.us/interview-nero-muffin/
09/28/2014 8:55 pm
NeroDeath
So the video made it into my top ten most viewed videos on my channel, and has been responsible for 20 new subs and that is amazing, so thank you all. To thank everyone for their support I will continue to answer any Minecraft Science Questions you have if you post them on this thread. The least I can do.
09/28/2014 11:25 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter
elfin8er
I see the video has already been released, but I couldn't help but post a few more suggestions. Possibly a sequal? Or somebody else could use these ideas.

[*] What would happen if the earth was infinite?
[*] If earth days were as short as Minecraft days, what effects we see on the earth?
[*] Could a creature, or object, change behavior when somebody looks at it? Quantum Mechanics?
[*] Can cobblestone and obsidian really be created from just water, and lava?
[*] Are tools really made out of wood, stone, iron, and diamond?
[*] Is bedrock really indestructible?

Or you could just do a computer science episode, and explain how Redstone works simularly to a computer. You could even replicate different parts of a computer, and show how they work from a science point of view.

Good video idea by the way.
09/28/2014 12:34 pm
NeroDeath
A sequel might be possible given the success of the current video, but for now I will just answer your questions so you don't have to be kept waiting.

1) We wouldn't know. If the world was infinite we would have no way of knowing that it is in fact infinite. That question is theoretically impossible to answer as you can't tell if a world is infinite or not.

2) Just off the top of my head, serious problems with the tides and a lot of issues concerning plants and animals. Tides are influenced by the position of the moon and if it keeps going around the world at the rate of the Minecraft moon it is obvious there would be a problem. For plants, that is just a complete guess. I know there are certain plants that require a specific amount of daytime and nighttime although trying to remember those off the top of my head is difficult. Still this would mess them up. Lastly nocturnal animals would be coming and going, so would animals who are awake during the day. These would all change, but if this was how the world was from the beginning of time, everything would be fine.

3) Yes and No, I've heard it talked about in an old science report I read by some university professor or something that results can change in an experiment by you observing the experiment. I myself don't think it would affect anything that is not conscious, so for objects it would be no. As for animals/creatures it could be yes, as you can not observe animals without them modifying themselves to your presence. It is why so much money has been invested into camo items. Creatures do change behavior when something observes it, if they are aware, objects are not as likely to do so, but I am not fully read up on Quantum Mechanics so this is mostly me thinking about it from a logical standpoint.

4) Obsidian yeah, but I have never heard of stone, but pretty sure that can be done as well. Obsidian is formed by the rapid cooling of lava without a chance for it to form crystals. So cooling a VERY HOT substance with a VERY COOL substance can be expected to form obsidian, however after looking a bit more into it obsidian actually breaks down when exposed to a lot of water so it deserves so more analysis. As for stone when lava cools slowly it does form igneous rock so that could be what are cobblestone it. I am not sure on this as it has been a while since I even read a book about rocks, but it is early in the morning and I am still half-asleep.

5) Yes, just like how there are wooden swords as toys, in the Neolithic Age of humanity is the point where stone tools were found to be more refined than those of the Paleolithic. Ancient cavemen used stone tools for all sorts of things, they also used bones as well. If you have ever heard of the iron age that is pretty basic, it was the time when Iron was used for some tools and weapons. as for gold I know you didn't ask, but civilizations, like Egypt, modeled a lot of tools out of gold. They weren't hard, but they looked pretty. As for diamond it is possible, but I doubt people would bother. For a bit of proof however, small diamond shard a fixed into hand sized metal rods that are used for the process of cutting diamonds when making diamond jewelry.

6) Pretty sure it isn't not many things out there are indestructible, practically nothing is. But given Steve and the strength we can assume he has, even with a diamond tool it would make sense he can't break a very condensed layer of rocks. Bedrock is basically a layer of rocks underground that has been condensed by the weight of everything above it so it is assumed to be hard. I've never seen it for myself to justify though.

Hope this helps mate. =)
09/28/2014 3:08 am
Level 20 : Expert Toast
Tumblr_Cat
not sure if someone asked this already but...if a zombie is the undead/infected version of a human...what about herobrine?He is notch brother and all that, and if he is dead why does have so much power instead of being just a normal zombie/skeleton?
09/28/2014 3:14 am
NeroDeath
Herobrine does not exist in Minecraft naturally anymore, therefor we can't apply science to him. He is the same as a fictional creature like Frankenstein's Monster.

Also the science video is out now if you want to know what questions people did ask. =)

09/28/2014 12:41 am
Level 36 : Artisan Pixel Painter
ThaumasTheIceBeing
Science!:
How can a fungus take over an entire cow? I know there are fungi that can take over ants, and caterpillars, the small things, but a cow? How can a fungus take over that big of an organism?
09/28/2014 1:58 am
NeroDeath
I already made the video mate, and that questions was answered in it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Noi4qitNog8
09/28/2014 12:35 am
NeroDeath
I want to thank all of you for your support! Currently the Minecraft Nero's Science Segment holds the record for most views in 24 hours of all the other science videos, hit 51 views which isn't a lot by some people standards, but to me that is pretty awesome. That is a total of 2142 hours collectively spent watching this video, assuming all viewers watched to the very end. At this rate my channel may hit its goal of joining Maker Gen before the 2 month estimate they gave me. Thank you sooooo much. You all are wonderful.

<3 Nero and Muffin
09/27/2014 6:18 pm
Level 44 : Master Nerd
Ree_
I know the video is out already, but what always bugged me is that chickens lay eggs naturally, but if you feed them seeds they give birth to a baby chicken instead of an egg
09/27/2014 6:05 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Geek
MaxBFalcon
This is a great idea. And great ideas get big. Good luck to you, and I look forward to more videos.
09/27/2014 6:35 pm
NeroDeath
Thank you. <3

ReeropI know the video is out already, but what always bugged me is that chickens lay eggs naturally, but if you feed them seeds they give birth to a baby chicken instead of an egg

Could be that the chickens we have in Minecraft are of a species that can produce asexually and sexually. Close to what some Fungi do if I remember right. (which might be why they are a mob that is unaffected by the mycellium but that is completely unrelated and just speculation.) This could be a form of survival meant for the chicken species in Minecraft as it could be possible for them to survive being that they are a very weak and low health mob in Minecraft. Unless we can get an evolutionary tree in Minecraft we have no way of knowing. Still thinking about the possibilities gives us some ideas to take in mind.
09/27/2014 5:22 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
Roleplay_Universe
I know you're not taking suggestions anymore but I though you might want to try this.
Why is the player able to carry a 64 stack of block and be able to sprint. Do about the whole invenotry that he can carry an inventory full of stacks of 64. I think its quite an odd factor of Minecraft. Gonna check out your channel now
09/27/2014 5:36 pm
NeroDeath
That is an odd factor, all I can come up with is "Magic Variable" but their has to be some kind of root answer, possibly that since a block is broke and compressed it is possible that our Steve Entity actually has some method of reducing the weight of an object by compressing the mass to a high degree, but this is all speculation. I assume the possibility of it has to relate in some way to how he can also cause blocks to shrink when they are broken.
09/27/2014 5:13 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Warrior
RoseOfShi
The theory of a golden apple... (both types)
09/27/2014 4:59 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
NonExistingName
That could be something you put in your playthrough. I'm watching it, great vids!
09/27/2014 4:55 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
NonExistingName
I always tried finding an answer to redstone in general. After many hours thinking over it... The result is very complex, loose, and highly unlikely. As redstone doesn't transmit any kind of electronic, or radio signal. However, it glows, not only that, it releases particles into the air. That may point to heat being generated and having the redstone particles glow and sizzle. It wouldn't have to be at a very high temperature, Galium is a metal that melts in the heat of your hand.

Heat is a source of radiation, and could be used as a signal. That could also explain why it has a limited range, and why furnaces add up to it. Redstone torches are a clump of lit redstone dust which feeds on the heat it creates itself. Redstone repeaters extend the signal with a redstone torch. In the same way that redstone torches produce some light, redstone lamps could have an unseen web of amplifying glasses that magnified the glow. Pistons and rails could have a heat-triggered device on their center.

Of course, in real life, the dust would eventually weather away, as the particles disintegrate with the heat.

It is all highly unlikely, but i just felt like finding an explanation.

Also, command blocks are magic. There is no way of explaining that.
09/27/2014 5:33 pm
NeroDeath
The idea of heat is very interesting and makes me want to revisit this, but as you said with the command blocks the "Magic Variable" may be our only answer as redstone recives a signal from an END Portal using a comparator. Still I like the thought of heat, so many thoughts going through my mind now.
09/27/2014 4:08 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
I just watched one. Love the idea. Commenting to remember to watch the rest later.
09/27/2014 4:39 pm
NeroDeath
Glad to hear it. =)
09/27/2014 3:32 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
You got a new sub
09/27/2014 4:01 pm
NeroDeath
Thank you, means a lot mate. Just so you know I am open to any suggestions and critiques you might have about the channel so don't be afraid to post them in the comments. If you think we are making anything unenjoyable for you the viewer let me know and Ill see what I can do to bring back the fun.
09/27/2014 11:13 am
Level 34 : Artisan Dragon
Find Them Creepers
Awesome!
09/27/2014 3:20 pm
NeroDeath
Thanks, be sure to help spread it around, a lot of work went into this and I would love to see if this can answer some people questions.
09/27/2014 11:11 am
NeroDeath
Here it is, hope you all enjoy and one last time, thank you for your assistance in this video, those of you who gave me questions to use in the video have your name in the credits that are after the endslate. Hope you enjoy and let me know what you think. Thank You!

<3 from Nero and Bo (Muffin)

http://youtu.be/Noi4qitNog8

https://www.youtube.com/user/NEROandMUFFIN
09/26/2014 8:50 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
Shockwave_
Where did the jungle temples and desert temples come from, who built them?
EDIT: just realized you aren't taking suggestions anymore, leaving it here anyway
09/26/2014 9:00 pm
NeroDeath
That's fine, as for an answer we can take the same approach that historians have taken with the temples and pyramids in our world. Built by ancient people. In Minecrafts case we could say they were built by ancient testificates. Since the testificates you encounter in villages are adults, and we have seen that they can have children it is enough to believe that their was once ancient tribes of testificates that built those pyramids/temples and that they were lost to the ages.
09/26/2014 7:27 pm
Level 21 : Expert Archer
Diamondcrafter_3
How could Minecraft's anti-gravity laws not apply on sand/gravel, but apply on everything else?
09/26/2014 8:17 pm
NeroDeath
Is this a question you want answered? If so sorry I have already stopped taking questions, but I guess for an answer see what I say in the video tomorrow about sand and gravel and just inverse that. Thinking back on it, your question will probably be answered indirectly.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome