Server ddosing....

Ravoo's Avatar Ravoo2/20/13 1:55 pm
2/24/2013 10:50 pm
EightDarkSkulls's Avatar EightDarkSkulls
Ive seen servers get threatened to get DDoSed, My servers been DDoSed too, But what i dont understand is what people achieve or aim to achieve by doing this, Its not like your going to get anything in return from it, When i was talking to my original provider they told me that you can get a huge fine and sent to prison for doing it, Yet people still do it like its some kind of sport, I either think that minecraft should take action or hosters to take further legal action.

I just want to get your opinion on this becuase its been bugging me since i first got DDosed. and i dont understand why a building game that is supposed to be fun has got included in things like cyber attacks or hacks, Too put it into perspective, Its like you build a lego house and some ass decides to kick it over.

What are your thoughts on this?
Ravoo
Level 18 : Journeyman Modder

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/24/2013 10:50 pm
Level 25 : Expert Princess
EightDarkSkulls
People who DDoS usually are just doing it to get high ranks and maybe even mess with your server. A lot of times people who DDoS your server are using a VPN which basically means they are hiding their I.P. address. If they aren't using a VPN you can /whois the person and enter their I.P. address into something that will give you information about it. When you do that it should give you their service provider who you could call and tell about the illegal means they've been using on your server. The service provider could shut off their internet.

That's just something you could do if calling the police doesn't work.
02/24/2013 10:33 pm
Level 41 : Master Engineer
mheiden
Just got a dos attack by someone who came in-game and said "Gimme OP or i will attack"
I was just getting used of the line "Hi im from PMC can i get OP to review ur server?"

Why ppl ddos, because they have no life probably.......?
02/22/2013 12:29 pm
Level 40 : Master Prince
LiLChris
If you have money you can always pay for a service to counter this.

http://www.blacklotus.net/
http://javapipe.com/web/

Many more out there, just don't have an entire list.
02/21/2013 11:11 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Hunter
MiracleWhip
GarretSidzakaDDoS'ers are usually <snip> <snip> script kiddies, not even real hackers. they buy this service from the Blacknet called "security testing"

Calling the police is a waste of time, as they will refer you to the FBI with a smirk on thier faces.

WARNING: I DO NOT ENDORSE OFFENSIVE HACKING. HACKING IS ALWAYS A LAST LINE OF DEFENSE FOR THOSE WHO ARE BEING HACKED

Part one - Or they just use a LOIC or HOIC on a few different networks.

Part two - No, the police don't give a shit, they'll probably just hang up on you and laugh with their buddies when they go out to lunch.

Part three - I bet all the money in the word you have zero experience with hacking. Also, hacking is not defense, it's for pretty much everything but defense. Coding, is for defense.

Rage at me if you must, but anyone with a basic knowledge of hacking and common sense is getting their laughs out of your post.
02/21/2013 11:04 pm
MiracleWhip
RavooWhen i was talking to my original provider they told me that you can get a huge fine and sent to prison for doing it, Yet people still do it like its some kind of sport

You, my friend, have been tricked pathetically. Your provider is a moron. I have a friend who launched a DDoS on somone (for a good reason of course) anyways this guy owns his own company and has unlimited resources so he lit the kids router on fire. Funniest thing I've heard in a long time. Anyways, DDoS's usually are launched with a proxy, ergo can't be traced.

Lesson learned - Get a stronger more established provider that prevents DDoS with full protection, or get used to it.
02/21/2013 11:03 pm
Level 40 : Master Pixel Puncher
stiggybird
Yeah, I HATE people who DDoS
02/21/2013 10:45 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Explorer
iWireless
Javapipe is expensive i know another one its in the works and I no their owner sso i get discounted ddos protection
02/21/2013 10:43 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Senior_Bisket
I guess people do it because they can. They have the power to take down servers, its pretty much like a guy mugging you for your money, he is the one in control not you. Let me ask you this if you were god for a day what would you do, you would use your powers right?
02/21/2013 10:38 pm
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
-Rusty-
everything is about MONEY nowadays...
02/21/2013 6:20 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Witch
mommaCarole
DDoS attacks by script kiddies is about equal to spray painting bad words on walls to juvenile delinquints. ESPECIALLY when they're done against people hosting games servers.

(DDoS attacks against, say, Microsoft, which happens all the time is more a political statement.)

Yes, they are illegal. Hacking is illegal in almost all countries. And the FBI, the RCMP, Interpol, etc, all do things about it... IF it's against some big corporate entity. Like Microsoft.

In other words: you don't have money, so the officials don't care. Sorry to say it, but it's true.
02/21/2013 5:30 pm
Level 1 : New Princess
daegonpvp
I'm pretty sure Cloudfare only works for websites.
But, if you're looking for DDoS protection for your game server - I recommend JavaPipe for that. ^^ Just a suggestion.
02/21/2013 5:19 pm
iWireless
^ Does cloudfare work for servers or only sites?
02/21/2013 6:33 am
Ravoo
I would reccomend Cloudflare since i moved to them quite a while ago
02/20/2013 5:55 pm
iWireless
if your still getting DDOSEd there is some ddos aversion sites, and i know one that is dedicated to avert minecraft servers from DDOS but they charge a hefty fee to do it.
02/20/2013 5:40 pm
Bugs_e
Also if it is currently happening and you are around. Break the connection, that means close your server, put your firewall up, and wait until the heat dies down. You dont want them to destroy your computer from the inside, which is possible.
02/20/2013 5:37 pm
Bugs_e
It is indeed illegal, but that wont stop them. They take pleasure in the sadness of others, much like a school bully.

To prevent this you usually need to purchase quality servers from a professional company that actual games use, like servers used by Maplestory-Runescape-etc. Games that popular probably get DDoS attempts all the time, but the server is too good to allow it to actually crash the game.

So Pretty much there is no way of avoiding it unless you have some actual money, and I mean a LOT. For us regular people just try prevent them from getting the servers actual IP address, leave as very few ports open, and monitor your server as best you can.
02/20/2013 5:33 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Explorer
Zemor
A lot of the time, people do it for enjoyment.

And either way, most of the time these people threatening you are pre-pubescent Nodus users who think they're hardcore "h@xors".
02/20/2013 5:29 pm
Level 40 : Master Pirate
piratescott
It is illegal, but much like 99.9% of online "crimes" nothing will ever be done about it, unless we get us some internet police!

These people just do it because they're jealous, childish, idiotic or bored and seeing whether they can actually do it or not.
02/20/2013 5:23 pm
Level 21 : Expert Explorer
-R A W R-
I'm pretty sure that DDoSing is illegal in the U.S
02/20/2013 5:15 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Toast
MIDWATCH
I've talked to some of the people that have DDoSed me and others, and most of the time they just sound like some troll, wanting something or just doing it for entertainment, even though I don't see what's fun in that. ._.
02/20/2013 4:02 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Hero
GarretSidzaka
i was coming back to edit the angry cursing out of my post, but i noticed it was done for me, thank you patient moderator!
02/20/2013 2:42 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Caveman
Wurlsh
The thing is it is very hard to find the person actually responsible, just because of all the anonymous ways to achieving new ip address and getting rid of cookies.
If the person actually DDos from his computer and his networ then they would pretty much fail...
Therefore it is really hard to find these people, just because they hide behind shadows and are pretty much untraceable.

I know there are a number of ways to catch them but being a server owner getting there ip will not stop them. I have owned a server which was not for the public however someone managed to DDos it and steal everything I had in the server folder. Yet because it was a private server and the only a few friends go on it does not mean it was on of them. Basically the people who commit this "crime" are normally just having "fun" yet why would they want to take a whole server down for what benefit, I have heard of big servers taking down other servers but this cannot be proven. If this is true then that is ridiculous and pretty much childish. The thing is with minecraft servers they have become a business and not just a game anymore...meaning people just want to make money...which I actually tottaly disagree with, you should only start a minecraft server or any game server come to think of it because you actually enjoy the game.
02/20/2013 5:11 pm
Ravoo
thats true man +1
02/20/2013 2:33 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
S1D5T3R
Orrrrrrrrrrr.. CALL THE POLICE!!!!!!
02/20/2013 4:03 pm
GarretSidzaka
you are a uninformed. go ahead and try it. they wont do a single thing.

i even called the cops in my town, and in the town of the hacked we had doxxed, and even gave them a name of an adult relative, and they wouldnt touch it.

you seriously have to call the FBI, and good luck with that
02/20/2013 2:32 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
S1D5T3R
This is agains the laws. Find the IP adress and report it to the police.
02/20/2013 2:05 pm
GarretSidzaka
DDoS'ers are usually <snip> <snip> script kiddies, not even real hackers. they buy this service from the Blacknet called "security testing"

for as little as $15, these cunts can enter in your address into these corrupt site (probly run by euro trash) and they DDOS anything, for anytime.

Whats worse about these <snip> script kiddies, is that this form of attack is difficult to counter or respond with DDOS of your own, because they are not the hackers servers!

Calling the police is a waste of time, as they will refer you to the FBI with a smirk on thier faces.

Best way to get rid of DDOS:
1. social engineering of the hacker: they almost always come online to gloat
2. DDoS: you can sometimes figure the C&C computer and nail it down, in self defense
3. Nasty hack: try to hack this person so hard that they cannot do anything till they fix or replace equipment.

WARNING: I DO NOT ENDORSE OFFENSIVE HACKING. HACKING IS ALWAYS A LAST LINE OF DEFENSE FOR THOSE WHO ARE BEING HACKED
02/21/2013 10:53 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Geek
Z645
Seems legit.
02/20/2013 2:05 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Ninja
Superior Minecraft
Well I'm sure people do this because they're jealus, and they themself do not have as great minecraft server as the one their ddosing is. Also I think people on the top list of any server list page will try to DDoS other servers to make them offline and then they would maybe join their server, I don't know but this is why I think people do it.
02/20/2013 2:04 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Artist
iApostolos
XxxAziexxX
iApostolosWhy the Nether would they do that?

I'm gonna use that, if ya don't mind.

Go ahead
02/20/2013 2:02 pm
Level 26 : Expert Cake
eccsdee
I wasn't sure but this is the definition:
In computing, a denial-of-service attack (DoS attack) or distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS attack) is an attempt to make a machine or network resource unavailable to its intended users.
So basically, when the server is DDosed, the server is cut off from it's users.

(I started writing before someone posted the definition by the way)
02/20/2013 2:02 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
iApostolosWhy the Nether would they do that?

I'm gonna use that, if ya don't mind.
02/20/2013 2:01 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Artist
iApostolos
Why the Nether would they do that?
02/24/2013 10:40 pm
Level 27 : Expert Taco
natsuflame1
LOL
nether=hell
02/20/2013 2:00 pm
Captianpiggy
They will mostly want to ddos you becuase they are jealous and are losers>.>
02/20/2013 2:00 pm
Ravoo
DDoS, = Distributed Denial of Service attack, Its where someone uses something to take your server down. in simple terms.
02/21/2013 11:14 pm
MiracleWhip
Usually just to shut down the targets internet completely, not much in common with servers. Unless your speaking about someone experienced with a good amount of resources.

Good definition though, I just can't stand things in simple terms (pardon my obsessive posting on this thread).
02/20/2013 2:06 pm
Level 22 : Expert Pony
Catsuite
Pretty much like changing the servers IP or soemthing
02/20/2013 2:28 pm
Level 23 : Expert Modder
some1epic123
No more like crashing/lagging your server
02/20/2013 1:57 pm
Level 40 : Master Procrastinator
-Rusty-
WHAT THE MUNCHING ZOMBIODS IS DDOSING????
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome