Servers with or without donations?

MinerSociety's Avatar MinerSociety7/27/14 8:45 pm
1 emeralds 225 3
7/27/2014 9:18 pm
Jrcarp's Avatar Jrcarp
Hey everyone,
I've recently been debating whether servers without donations would be better, or worse than servers with donations. The reason I was thinking about this, is because the EULA is coming up and larger servers will have to change things up.

On my server there is no donations. The reason for this, is because I'm able to pay off the server expenses every month. Due to this, I have replaced donation ranks with ranks of my own. These ranks are earned by playing on the server, voting, youtube videos, etc.

I've come up with some benefits for donating.

- Perks
- Helping a server you like

Some negatives.

- Lose money
- Donations without consent

It's been often heard of that a kid will steal their parent's credit card and donate to a server without them knowing. Because of this, the family loses money. Large servers sometimes setup perks to be worth $1,000. In my honest opinion, that's insane. Sure, your server costs a lot of money and I understand it's difficult to keep up. The player base of these servers are wide. Servers such as Mineplex, Hypixel, and SkyDoesMinecraft attract many users. Meaning, donations will pile up higher and higher meaning server expenses will get paid.

Server's without donations have their benefits too. I talked to a couple of people who said it doesn't matter, as long as they have ways to be promoted without paying money, or filling out an application, it wouldn't be any different from any other server.

Poll ended 07/28/2014 8:45 pm.

MinerSociety
Level 5 : Apprentice Network