Should I buy Undertale?

Anxiety Opossum's Avatar Anxiety Opossum11/16/15 3:20 pm
11/30/2015 12:45 pm
Anxiety Opossum's Avatar Anxiety Opossum
I've been debating this for about a week now, and I'm still not really sure, as I haven't found enough of the information I'm looking for. Maybe you can help me?

1. Bullet Hell
I'm terrible at bullet hells. Will I get better at this as I go on?

2.Community
I've seen glimpses of the community before. It seems fine, but is there anything bad that I'm missing?

EDIT: Also, Haters. Is this an issue?/do you think it will be? It's okay if it inevitably has a few, everything does, but do you think it'll get to, like, FNaF level haters?

ANOTHER EDIT: Speaking of that, this section is actually more of a positive as of now. The community seems to be sort of like FNaF's but far less spammy, and far less toxicity. I like that, as I was a part of the fnaf fandom. Emphasis on was. I left after it became far too hated and spammy, just doing the skins, which I finally finished allowing me to finally fully leave it.

3. Gender (The most important of all)
This has been the one major issue for me. Is the game geared towards one gender? The majority of fans that I've seen are girls, but I haven't seen many male players. Is this an issue? Again, this is the one major thing that puts me off.

I tried the demo, and I liked it, but I'm fine just leaving it be, the one thing I've really done with it was a remix of one of the songs in the game (insert shameless self promotion here: https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/87580389/ hey, for all I know, you may want to hear it), as the soundtrack's quite nice.
Other than that, I've been very "mood shifty" about the whole thing.

I'm gonna be checking in on this thread every few minutes for the next couple hours or so.
Anxiety Opossum
Level 74 : Legendary Pixel Painter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/30/2015 12:41 pm
Anxiety Opossum
Two or so weeks later, I really want to thank you all for convincing me to buy this. It's probably the single greatest game that I've played, and will continue to be for a VERY long time. Again, thanks for the help!
11/21/2015 12:15 am
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
irritatedCat
Don't search up any guides or walkthroughs, just play through the game.
11/20/2015 8:35 pm
Anxiety Opossum
Just started downloading. What kind of run do you recommend I do first?
11/17/2015 3:47 pm
Anxiety Opossum
Even though It's already been settled, I feel it's good to leave this up, in case anyone else comes along with the same questions. Feel free to continue adding to this!
11/17/2015 2:00 pm
Level 40 : Master Goblin
Dajj
looks like i'm late to the party but that won't sway me

this absolutely fantastic story has no gender and for the low low price of ten dollars, you can experience emotions such as

-happiness
-joy
-giddiness
-sadness
-heartbreak
-anger
-hope
-despair
-wonder

and more, be prepared to feel them

also, choices actually matter and dramatically affect the outcome of the story resulting in a large multitude of possible endings, character interactions, and playthroughs which I think is absolutely wonderful like forget what telltale games tells you about choices because this just blows that outta the water tbh
11/17/2015 2:02 pm
Anxiety Opossum
I have braced for feels
11/17/2015 1:48 pm
Anxiety Opossum
Chara I think the only reason people think there are more girls are because girls are more inclined to blog about it/make art for it.

I JUST REALIZED THIS. IT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING. XD

Definitely gonna pick it up!

these posts fill you with determination
11/17/2015 1:44 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Fisherman
Aegeah
Undertale is something you should play if you want to have a good time, have a bad time, have good feels, have no emotion, to kill, to not kill, ultimately make friends (even if they're sprites!) and uncover mysteries within the game's code.

I can honestly say that Undertale is one of the best games I have ever bought, and if you can buy it, buy it. It's only $9.99, it isn't much, but it is good. I'm not a diehard for it and I won't say that I'm dedicated to it with my life, but give it a shot. Even if you're not good at bullet-hells, you'll love it, I bet. You get better at it as you go along, too.

As for the gender thing, I'm not really sure why that's an issue? But from what I know from my group of friends, there are three girls and three guys (including me) so that's just my statistics. I think the only reason people think there are more girls are because girls are more inclined to blog about it/make art for it.

In conclusion: great game, you'll like it, it's cheap as well so that's always a plus. It's your money, though, so do what you like with it!
11/17/2015 1:24 pm
Anxiety Opossum
Right now, I'm leaning towards the get it side. Until I'm able to buy it, I am going to keep checking in on this thread, just in case anything comes up.
11/16/2015 10:05 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
irritatedCat
For the gender question, here's an answer. Girls who spend time on the internet like stuff like this. I know I sound sexist and I'm not trying to, but look at the Homestuck community. I like it, and I'm a guy, but the community is mostly comprised of girls. Some of the more popular characters in the series, like Nepeta (a cat girl troll hybrid thing?) are pretty adorable. Some of Undertale's characters, like this one:

are pretty dang cute. It makes me wanna hug a spider. So, that might answer your gender problem. Should you play it? It depends on what you like. I'm not a big fan of RPGs, so I'll stay away, but you might get hours of fun off it. Good luck!
11/16/2015 5:44 pm
Level 57 : Grandmaster Loremaster
Spectral
I've never played the game myself but from what everyone says, it's a good game. The graphics and design look really horrible to me but you shouldn't get discouraged from my opinions Also I actually love the plot of the game, so I guess it covers that up.

anyways, onto the gender. Why!?! why? The world now has evolved. No one cares about gender, if you like it, go right ahead! Why should gender be a problem for you? If it's real sappy and romantic and you don't like it then fine but don't let the criticism of the world make your decisions.
11/16/2015 5:12 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Programmer
deadrecon98
Get Undertale, screw what gender this game is geared towards, it's an AMAZING game. The story is very rich and the community is even better!
11/16/2015 4:45 pm
Anxiety Opossum
Drzzter1. Bullet Hell
---
I hadn't played a bullet hell in years when I picked Undertale up, I didn't find it 'too' challenging, though there were a few tough parts I spent a good half hour or so repeatedly trying to beat. You don't have to have amazing split second reaction time unless you're going for the unhappy ending's boss whom is intentionally way harder than anything else in the entire game.

Alright then, UI can deal with that. I'm one of the few people that actually enjoy playing one specific part of a game over and over, until I master it.

Drzzter
2.Community
I've seen glimpses of the community before. It seems fine, but is there anything bad that I'm missing?
EDIT: Also, Haters. Is this an issue?/do you think it will be? It's okay if it inevitably has a few, everything does, but do you think it'll get to, like, FNaF level haters?
---
Undertale has it's fair share of weirdos who draw the explicit art and that sort of thing, but it also has a very friendly community that strikes me as being particularly artistic. It's not been out that terribly long and there are so many neat things people have made based off of it. I'm not a long time player or member of the Undertale community but I've not met anyone as of yet who was a rude jerk or anything like that.

Egh. To be fair, just about everything has people like that.
Other than that, yeah, the community semms pretty nice.

Drzzter
This has been the one major issue for me. Is the game geared towards one gender? The majority of fans that I've seen are girls, but I haven't seen many male players. Is this an issue? Again, this is the one major thing that puts me off.
---
It has it's moments of 'girliness' where you go on dates with certain characters but they're not intended as super sappy romantic relationship dates but more as a joke type thing. For example, on one date with a character he states that he wishes he had 8 legs so he can wear 4 pairs of hotpants

It has these strangely emotional moments here and there, but I wouldn't really call the game girl oriented.

I had a lot of fun with it myself, beat the pacifist ending a couple hours ago. It has several different endings and paths you can go down to give it a level of replay value.

HERE'S the kind of stuff I'm looking for information on! I'm glad to see that it's more of a joking manner than something overly sappy, that's really informative, and some great information I'll take into account.
11/16/2015 4:40 pm
Level 74 : Legendary Vampire
Drzzter
1. Bullet Hell

---
I hadn't played a bullet hell in years when I picked Undertale up, I didn't find it 'too' challenging, though there were a few tough parts I spent a good half hour or so repeatedly trying to beat. You don't have to have amazing split second reaction time unless you're going for the unhappy ending's boss whom is intentionally way harder than anything else in the entire game.
---

2.Community

---
Undertale has it's fair share of weirdos who draw the explicit art and that sort of thing, but it also has a very friendly community that strikes me as being particularly artistic. It's not been out that terribly long and there are so many neat things people have made based off of it. I'm not a long time player or member of the Undertale community but I've not met anyone as of yet who was a rude jerk or anything like that.

I've seen a few people who 'hate' the game, but not nearly so to the extent of FNAF.
---

---
It has it's moments of 'girliness' where you go on dates with certain characters but they're not intended as super sappy romantic relationship dates but more as a joke type thing. For example, on one date with a character he states that he wishes he had 8 legs so he can wear 4 pairs of hotpants

It has these strangely emotional moments here and there, but I wouldn't really call the game girl oriented.

I had a lot of fun with it myself, beat the pacifist ending a couple hours ago. It has several different endings and paths you can go down to give it a level of replay value.
11/16/2015 4:32 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Zombie
SpoopyBlue
YES!
I frickin' love that game it has a TON of lovable characters that I can't get enough of brotherly love a cute couple terrible puns and spaghetti and amazing and just
Spoopy recommended 10/10
greater dog gives me life
lesser dog is amazing
temmie and sans and papyrus and just its just really great ok Q~Q

I realize about 3 minutes later I didn't answer your questions...
I still recommend
11/16/2015 4:17 pm
Level 25 : Expert Taco
sioned
Gameplay wise, it isn't too difficult, I found a few party tricky, but I'm a noob to the genre. Even though it's a bullet hell it's nowhere near as hard as, say, Touhou for example.

The community seems fine as far as I know. (reddit.com/r/Undertale is awesome)

As for 'gender' stuff - There do seem to be a lot of female fans (myself included), but don't let that deter you, the story is hella cool, the characters are awesome, and it has multiple endings, so it's pretty amazing. Two of my male friends have played it, and they both really liked it, and if you check out the reviews on Steam they're overwhelmingly positive. Undertale is perfect if you love story driven games, honestly I think bringing up gender is kinda random.... Are girls supposed to have bad taste or something?

Nah though, it's one of my favourite games ever due to the well written story, clever gameplay mechanics, and witty (but sometimes sad ;-;) dialogue. If you're into games like Portal, To The Moon, Stanley Parable, or Ib, then I'd definitely recommend this... And even if you don't like it, it's just £7 and it's going to an indie dev. you should totally get it
11/16/2015 4:20 pm
Anxiety Opossum
The main reason for the gender thing was if there were a lot of more "girly" themes in it.
(romance, etc.
The best example I can give of this is "Shonen" anime vs. "Shojo" anime, if you know what that is.

I mean, hey, the icon's a heart. It made sense in my head.)

As for game like that, Portal 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, and I love the concept of SP, so that sounds great. Never heard of To the Moon, though.
11/16/2015 4:58 pm
Level 25 : Expert Taco
sioned
ahahah there isn't really any romance. You go an a date with a skeleton, which just for humour pretty much, and two characters are in a relationship by the end but that's by no means a major part of the game. It's definitely not Shoujo either in fact, I'd say it has many Shounen tropes. But yeah, the icon is a heart, there's not much I can say about that XD
11/16/2015 5:08 pm
Anxiety Opossum
Alright, this definitely helps

I'm leaning more towards the "get it" side by reading these, and they're clearing up a lot of questions!
11/16/2015 4:10 pm
Level 81 : Elite Witch
Crescendo
yesss buy it- also not sure where the gender stuff is from, I know males who are enthusiastic about it as well
11/16/2015 3:43 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
Do you like old school top down RPGs?

Do you like games like Earthbound or Mother 3?

If yes to the first, I'd say it's worth a shot, it's a very interesting deconstruction, if yes to both buy it immediately because you are like me and it is gold dust to you.

But to answer your specific questions:

1. Trust me, it's not really bullet hell, it's not stupidly difficult.

2. Considering the community did this:
[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU3jfk-O7L0[/youtube] I don't think there's a problem. Just watch out for spoilers.

3. Seems to be pretty even in terms of gender. Even so, it shouldn't be an issue. There are a lot of male gamers in the Undertale bunch, but they don't seem to come here.
11/16/2015 4:02 pm
Anxiety Opossum
Hmm. That video is the kind of stuff that I join communities for, so that's definitely a positive. I also saw this, which made me laugh really hard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztTirGPgv6c (the embed thing doesn't seem to be working for me) I think I'm going to wait for a few more responses to settle on that last one, though.

I've never had a chance to play games like Earthbound, but they seem like something I enjoy. Story driven games are some of my favorites.

I might be buying it anyway, however, because my little brother wants to play it.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome