Should I get a IMac 27 inch desktop?

VoidStarzZHD's Avatar VoidStarzZHD10/1/14 6:53 pm
10/2/2014 8:37 am
ASF's Avatar ASF
My parents are getting my siblings and I a desktop and we all get to make a suggestion, I really want a IMac 27 inch (yes, I have used a iMac before) but is it worth it gaming wise?

Here are the specs of the one I want
3.2GHz
quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 6MB L3 cache
8GB (two 4GB) of 1600MHz DDR3 memory; four user-accessible
SO-DIMM slots
Configurable to 16GB or 32GB.
1TB (7200-rpm) hard drive
Configurable to 3TB hard drive, 1TB or 3TB Fusion Drive, or 256GB, 512GB, or 1TB of flash storage.
NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

Can it run games. Like bf4 or planetside 2 smoothly in huge battles?
VoidStarzZHD
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

10/02/2014 8:37 am
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
I think OP's got his answer already.

So the tl;dr for this thread:

You pay for the Apple logo, and you're better off building/buying a PC.
10/02/2014 7:19 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Warrior
Kahtahn
OH GOD NO

If you really want a Mac, at least build a PC with the same specs, but cheaper and just watch a tutorial on how to. If you're doing gaming, don't even think about it. Build a PC!
10/02/2014 7:03 am
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Randomness3333
NetworkPCE

+1
10/02/2014 4:06 am
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
Ellie
As i said he can build his own computer if he wants to.
As for what you said, its not bullshit.
What components of yours are better?
How is your performance better?
All windows games can be ported easily. And a lot of games are also made for macs. Only reason a lot of games are aimed at windows only is because, as i said, its cheap so most people have it.
Photoshop and sony vegas can be used on a mac too.

As for recycled products:
http://www.apple.com/uk/environment/
http://www.apple.com/uk/environment/finite-resources/

Racist comments? Hardly. Its a well known fact that most pc supports have Arabs in their call centers as they're cheaper to hire. Also a well known fact that credit card details are often taken by these people because they need more money so they sell on the details as they are paid poorly. Has happened to me and many friends.

Windows is not plain better than macs. Its cheap, constantly doesnt work and performs badly. it takes up a lot of space and has a lot of third party software you need to add on, unlike apple.
10/02/2014 4:22 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
Let me just compare my components to a $2000 IMac

IMac
CPU: i5 3.4 GHZ (It's probably so bad they don't specify which i5 it is )
Ram: 8GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
Warranty: 1 year
Price: $2000

My gaming pc
CPU: I5 4670k
Ram 8Gb
GPU: GTX 780
Warranty average on all components: 2 years
Price: $1300

All my components are better? And $700 cheaper. I repeat, how do i NOT have better components than a Mac?

You seem to have some racism in your mind, i've called Windows support, Toshiba support, Asus Support, Fractals Support even NVidia's support, as well as several windows computer components stores in Finland. I have never heard of somebody, nor have i ever had my credit card info stolen by an immigrant using a support call. If you get your info stolen, he'd be busted immediately. Give me proof this has EVER happened?

How does Windows constantly not work?, i have had my windows for 4 years without changing a thing, it has not crashed even once. While my mums Macbook pro broke because it had a magnetic contact with another PC. It cost her $700 because apparantly it was her fault that it died.

With Sony Vegas pro and Photoshop i meant, i have those and my PC is still cheaper than an IMac, see it now?

What about the recycled products, every company recycles gpu's, cpu's that come to them, because it'll be cheaper to make them once they already have the things. I could send a broken GPU to Nvidia, they would recycle it and sell it.

Windows is more popular because it has more games, more software, it's cheaper, and they succeeded better.

I repeat, how is your Imac better than my gaming pc?
10/02/2014 3:53 am
NetworkPCE
To OP, you should build your own gaming PC with windows on it.
You can make a thread on PMC and people will help you with the build.

Here's what you get

* Cheaper Price
* More Performance
* More available games
10/02/2014 3:21 am
Level 35 : Artisan Artist
Ellie
You're not paying for a label. You're paying for a product designed well rather than throwing in random rubbish you get on most computers, made from recycled materials and made with environment impact in mind, performs amazingly, has flash storage and if it breaks you dont have some arab guy stealing your credit card details when you phone them up. In a lot of cases they'll replace it or fix it for free for a year after youve bought it.
Sure if you can build your own computer then go ahead, but if you don't want to them macs are worth it. People are used to windows as its cheap and people usually get windows pc as their first computer.
10/02/2014 3:46 am
NetworkPCE
90% of what you just said is -snip-.

I am gonna ask you directly now, how is your Imac better designed than my gaming pc?

My gaming pc comparison to IMac

*Better Components
*Cheaper Price
*Better Performance
*Windows which has a lot of games
*Photoshop CS6, Sony Vegas Pro 12

After all that my PC is still cheaper than a $2000 imac.

I repeat, what exactly is better than my PC?

They fix it a year after you have bought it because it has "Warranty", they have no choice but to fix it, My laptop which cost me $600 came with a 3 year warranty, compared to a 1 year on mac.

There are actually more immigrants working in Apple than in Acer/Toshiba/So on... So go away with your racist comments, in what way is it worse that an immigrant responds to your support calls? Lil racist?

People get Windows because they are plain better and they know what they are buying, people buy Macs because they have no knowledge of computers.

As for the "Reused" parts, source? Because it's not true

Just proved everything you said false, Good job man.
10/02/2014 12:34 am
Level 41 : Master Modder
David5886
No, just no, you are really just paying for the Logo when you buy a mac. Use that money to build yourself a lot better computer than what you would if you bought a mac.
10/01/2014 9:57 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Coolfire7523
Unless you're a hardcore gamer, I would recommend the iMac. iMacs tend to run with less problems, and last longer, plus they're also better for school and you have a very good display.
10/01/2014 9:48 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
You could get this, which starts at $1800:

Or, you could get this, which is $200 cheaper than the starting price for the Mac, looks cooler, and is so much better:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($92.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($569.99 @ Amazon)
Case: EVGA Hadron Mini ITX Tower Case w/500W Power Supply ($139.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: EVGA 100-OD-S101-BR DVD/CD Writer ($41.78 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1604.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-01 21:46 EDT-0400

I didn't include an OS because you have the choice of either spending an extra $90 for Windows, or however much it is to get OSX to make a hackintosh.
10/02/2014 7:31 am
Level 56 : Grandmaster Musician
Fighterbear12
That's a WHOLE LOT BETTER. An iMac is a waste of money, really. Especially for gaming.
10/01/2014 9:40 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Pixel Painter
ASF
Theminecrafter228
davidj919I run Windows on my Mac with VirtualBox, so I get the best of both worlds: Mac's superior design, speed,

Macs aren't faster then windows PCs.

Not all windows PC's are the same...
10/01/2014 9:31 pm
Level 32 : Artisan Toast
DaSquyd
I run Windows on my Mac with VirtualBox, so I get the best of both worlds: Mac's superior design, speed, and overall functionality and Windows' ability to play the games that I can't normally.
10/01/2014 9:21 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Miner
OrbitGaming47
lol no..
10/01/2014 9:08 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Toast
WillyWonka125
You'll be buying the Apple logo that lights up, really. Go out to BestBuy and buy a prebuilt with the same specs for half the price, or try to convince your parents that they should build. Be sure to stress that it'd be a "fun, bond-forming activity" and that it'll "enhance my problem-solving skills".
10/01/2014 8:50 pm
Level 40 : Master Architect
nammerbom
lol dude just... no.

Macs are not built for gaming they are built for doing creative work... If you are going to spend all that money just build your own custom pc that runs windows, you will get used to it fast, get a lot - A LOT - more out of your money, and its good for creative work AND gaming. Just ask someone to give you a build for the same price and either have someone build it for you that you know personally or build it yourself, its not that hard.
10/01/2014 8:15 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
SoyMonkey
10/01/2014 8:04 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Randomness3333
No, just no. You can easy do a 1440p gaming rig with peripherals and monitor for the cost of the iMac.
10/01/2014 8:02 pm
Level 44 : Master Sweetheart
Dinodaw
Nope.
10/01/2014 7:50 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
No, it wont play them games, and no it's not worth the price in any shape or form.

If you really wanted OSX on a computer, then you can build one and put it on it. It's a bit of a pain, but it'd probably be worth it to you. If you even want OSX.
10/01/2014 7:42 pm
SoyMonkey
for $2,000 you could get this: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

thats a build i made that will EASILY play bf4 on ultra with no problems and aswell as ps2 maybe lower settings on that but still should be fine
10/01/2014 7:47 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
CookieFartz
I cant see the build p:
You have to use the permalink right below where it says system build for people to be able to see the actual build , or export as bbcode and paste it to your post
10/01/2014 7:32 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect
WhimsicalTuber17
Macs aren't super great for gaming, I would swing for a windows pc for gaming.
10/01/2014 10:42 pm
Level 20 : Expert Lumberjack
Al CatSplat
HOW IS YOUR INTERNET SO FAST?!? I get like 16 upload 5 download
10/01/2014 11:25 pm
Level 48 : Master Pixel Painter
basicbrick
u wot m8?
10/01/2014 7:31 pm
CookieFartz
http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/ Im guessing your looking at this one?
for that price you can build an extremely good build that would be able to run every game on high settings.
10/01/2014 7:27 pm
Level 44 : Master Poro
GildedGam3r
I must say is personally I find Apple computers to be inferior to most computers running Windows. Macs have many things that aren't compatible with it. Gaming can be ok on a Mac, but it would be much more worth your time to just buy a much better computer for the same price, if not less.
10/01/2014 7:21 pm
SoyMonkey
first question how much is it?
10/01/2014 7:18 pm
CookieFartz
Well for the price of a mac you can build a really good computer yourself
so if its mainly for gaming build yourself one
you would get more bang for your buck if you did
10/01/2014 7:17 pm
Level 48 : Master Pixel Painter
basicbrick
I'm not big with specs, but It wont run PS2 unless you are running Windows. Not sure about bf4, but it is probably Windows only.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome