Skin Shading Tutorials, We Need More

Uplifting's Avatar Uplifting4/24/15 12:50 pm
5/1/2015 1:42 am
YTCereal's Avatar YTCereal
This is just my opinion but, I feel like we need more skin shading tutorials. No offense to anyone who has made a skin shading tutorial but they arent top notch. I'm also not saying I could make a top notch one either. There are great skinners lile meggles and FoxWing and other great people who could make great tutorials that are in depth and actually help people skin great. I see a lot of people who do art on youtube when they make a tutorial, they half ass it and dont really go in depth about it because they want to keep their secrets to themselves. I'm just saying if you are a great skinner and could honestly help a lot of people by making a nice really in depth tutorial on how to shade like a pro. Please do so as it would benefit all the up and coming skinners out there who just want to make good skins for people
-Bomberman out
Uplifting
Level 25 : Expert Artist

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/01/2015 1:42 am
Level 22 : Expert Network
YTCereal
Tutorials dont help me..

i learned shading my self but its ugly as poop

kefka pls teach me
04/30/2015 11:34 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
PixelCrash_
BBBBombermaniac
This is just my opinion but, I feel like we need more skin shading tutorials. No offense to anyone who has made a skin shading tutorial but they arent top notch. I'm also not saying I could make a top notch one either. There are great skinners lile meggles and FoxWing and other great people who could make great tutorials that are in depth and actually help people skin great. I see a lot of people who do art on youtube when they make a tutorial, they half ass it and dont really go in depth about it because they want to keep their secrets to themselves. I'm just saying if you are a great skinner and could honestly help a lot of people by making a nice really in depth tutorial on how to shade like a pro. Please do so as it would benefit all the up and coming skinners out there who just want to make good skins for people
-Bomberman out

There are some great skinning tutorials out there. They're just really hard to find. I share your pain. When I first took up skinning, it was just me throwing pixels at the screen and seeing what would stick.
04/24/2015 5:47 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
No shading tutorial has ever helped me mostly because it isn't my own style. Someone can try to teach me art all day, but I don't learn anything until I start practicing and find out what works for me.
04/30/2015 11:39 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
PixelCrash_
A tutorial can at least put a person on the right path. However, I completely agree that skinners (or other artists for that matter) do not become truly great until they practice and develop their own unique style.
04/24/2015 7:08 pm
Level 43 : Master Skinner
Phetagorah
I agree with Azie there.

I don't think any skinning tutorial has helped me yet. I think it's just a matter of time before people could share what the basics of skinning are. In the mean time, download a skinning program, MCSkin3D or Paint.Net, and start experimenting. Practice, devotion and time all play a huge role in the life of a skin.
04/24/2015 2:34 pm
Level 46 : Master Princess
OreoVal
I think the reason is that a lot of the better skinners would like to keep their style original, and it would be pointless to make a tutorial then ask people not to use it.
I, though my shading may not be the best, don't like other people to use my shading, and I feel like this is a big reason for not many good shading tutorials out there.
04/24/2015 2:27 pm
Level 22 : Expert Network
A lot of people who are good at aren't can't be good at writing and tutorials as well.
04/24/2015 1:28 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
Honestly, I don't agree.

I come from a background of using them, and honestly, they almost ruined my skinning experience. I now come into contact with people whose tutorial's I've used, and it's awkward talking to them. And as IrishChaos said, it's someone else's shading style that you are copying. The ones we have now (at least some) can teach people the basics, which is the most important part. The absolute most crucial part of any skinner's metamorphosis is to just suck it up and start trying.

I used them for almost a full year, until I finally just started trying for myself. It's actually easier than it seems, if you actually really try.

So, the moral of this tirade is that shading tutorials can be beneficial, but they aren't the best, or even an extremely viable, method of learning how to shade.
04/24/2015 8:13 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Cowboy
Star
^

There are useful (basic) skinning tutorials out there in regard to color theory and light sources. I feel that those are much more useful than "copying" other skinners' shading styles from their tutorials. Yes, they can provide inspiration for you to develop your own, but that should be the end of it.
04/24/2015 1:20 pm
Level 71 : Legendary Nerd
Irish
I also agree.

I also agree with Kefka about how hard making a tutorial is, in the past I attempted to create one but its just too awkward to show how to shade, and plus, its only your style you are teaching, we need tutorials on the basic tips for shading and stuff like that.
04/24/2015 1:17 pm
Level 42 : Master Steve
Bureine
Kefka u gotta teach me I suk
04/24/2015 1:04 pm
Level 89 : Elite War Lord
Kefka
I agree that there are not many good shading tutorials, but I think the problem is that its just really hard explaining how to shade a skin. Its kind of like trying to show someone how to be good at art that isn't artistic at all.
I do plan to make a tutorial myself in the future, but its going to take a lot of work to get it right.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome