Staff Application questions

DrZach135's Avatar DrZach1351/22/17 8:02 pm
1 emeralds 2.3k 5
1/23/2017 4:15 pm
WorldCreations's Avatar WorldCreations
Recently me and a few friends decided we wanted to all put money together and purchase a hosted server. The server is planned to be a small server of about 40-50 slots. I want it to be different from the massive flashy servers with huge hubs that you see today. I miss the small and homey feeling servers of 2011 and 2012. I plan to have worlds for the three game modes and two worlds for PVE and PVP. I don't want tons of plugins just enough to get buy and prevent some griefing.

Anyways, after that unorganized paragraph, I shall get to the point. I need questions for my staff applications. I know all the basic "get-to-know-you's" like name, skype, age, email, city and such, but what deeper details could help me in deciding my staff.

Life stories? Referrals? Portfolios? I'm not really sure. Just let me know and it'll probably go on the application because I got nothin

Also, don't ask for staff on this post or you wont get staff. Plain and simple, wait for the application.
DrZach135
Level 1 : New Miner

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/23/2017 4:15 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Terraformer
WorldCreations
Just do what you feel is right, I got to where I am today by doing my own thing I encourage you to experiment.
01/22/2017 10:09 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
Seivelath
Go read Nitwick's guide, like seriously, take the time and read that thing, pretty much lays it out for you. The thing is overall, though, people who know better won't and can't give you questions, because of questions that you'll know how you'll want to be answered, are totally up to you. We can guide you towards the kinds of questions that work best for getting a picture of what you want from an applicant, but at the end of the day, you have to make the questions for them to be in any way, shape or form effective.
01/23/2017 2:55 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Hunter
Pysisco8
I agree, I'd read it. Don't base questions on broad or trust.
01/22/2017 9:49 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Seivelath makes some good points. I'll throw a few bits of my own into the mix - my apologies for giving little in the way of actual questions.

The thing about applications is that the only questions that will help you are ones where you ask things that people can't fake without being easily proven wrong. Experience, for example, is a moot question by itself as it is easily lied about. Screenshots, in the case of builders, are also unreliable. The questions that I find have the most honest responses (or at least tell you the best about someone's capabilities) are explanation and scenario questions.

Come up with a few scenarios that you've found to be tricky. The best ones don't have a clear answer. It's easy for someone to say "no" to a question about a friend asking for perks, but what about a question about abuse regarding your friend the staff member who tends to be reliable and a group of 5 players who are generally pricks but all back each other's story up?

When it comes to knowledge, have people explain things. Don't ask them if they know essentials, ask them what they know about essentials and to list a few commands they consider important for high staff members to know. Developer applications should have a few practical questions about how to do things, instead of just asking "what is your experience".

I actually made a guide on the subject a little while back, though it's not entirely focused on the questions side and there's more I can do to expand on it. You can find it here.
01/22/2017 9:33 pm
Level 23 : Expert Network
Seivelath
First off, it's probably best to use questions like one would use in a job interview, so in that regard, a good question to ask is a theoretical situation question. By this, I mean a question that asks "Someone is spamming, what do you do?". While base information is important, it's also important to know how your staff react to certain situations, so you can choose individuals who fit what kind of staff force you are looking to create, being on one end of the spectrum mainly warnings with very few actual punishments, or hardcore permanent banners at the sight of any rule breakages on the other end of the spectrum. What you want is up to you, but hypothetical situations can sometimes point out flaws in someone's method of completing their work, so always worth having one of those kinds of questions.

TL;DR - Make a situation, ask for what they'd do, is good.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome