Strange Lighting Shadows/Glitch?

GhostXavier's Avatar GhostXavier1/27/15 7:54 pm
1 emeralds 12.4k 8
1/30/2015 4:40 pm
GhostXavier's Avatar GhostXavier
It only happens occasionally, but when i'm constructing with light source blocks (using mod block lights specifically), their light distance seems to cast a shadow. I noticed it's most frequent near another source of light that isn't the same block (Ex., bibliocraft lantern and glowstone).

Is there a way to fix this? I assume it's the two different light tones competing in those overlapping spaces that causes a 'shadow'.

Extra information: I have Optifine and GLSL Shaders installed (latter not turned on in screens. Turning it on makes little difference).

GhostXavier
Level 50 : Grandmaster Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

01/30/2015 4:40 pm
GhostXavier
I apologize for partially delayed response. Placing a block which is the usual shadow fix doesn't do anything for this issue; if anything, the newly placed block(s) gets bad lighting too.

I've taken a screenshot to show this isn't a shadow glitch, but a light source glitch. (Click for larger image)

EDIT: Mod blocks pictured are the Custom NPC's Lamp (bottom), Props Mod Candle (Right), Bibliocraft Desk Lamp (Left), and Thaumcraft Nitor (Top).

I've placed down the two common vanilla light blocks (torch, glowstone) as well as some of the mod blocks. The mod ones are definitely causing an issue as seen by the picture. The vanilla light sources, where they overlap, do not cause conflict, whereas the mod blocks overlapping with vanilla lit areas cause the vanilla light sources' illumination radius to be highlighted.

This isn't the case for one of the mod blocks, however (Props mod Candle). My opinion is that it's because Custom NPCs uses something that's compatible with vanilla lighting (or uses the same design for that matter). Another thought is it might be different "colored light" and the shaders mod I have installed can't seem to interpret them. A friend stated this might be because the mapping is conflicting (?).

I did notice when I get close to a vanilla mod block, the skies darken as if you're underneath a shaded area but this doesn't occur with the mod block lights. Was this always a part of 1.7.10 and i'm just now realizing it?

Edit: Another interesting note, unsure if it's the shaders mod that's doing it, but the vanilla blocks and the candle are giving off a "shaded" area within their illumination range as visible by the picture. I definitely do not recall that in vanilla.
01/30/2015 3:59 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
tntismathing
Hmm, never seen anything like this before, it could be actually because of the mods if you have any.
01/30/2015 4:07 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Engineer
RoboShadow
He most definitely has mods. Try what they said before and break a block and cause a chunk update.
01/29/2015 10:26 pm
GhostXavier
Unfortunately I already have optifine and have been playing with the settings to no apparent avail. I have started to notice when/how these lighting glitches are working and why.

As a previous Minecraft update mentioned, lighting by different blocks was changed a bit color wise. With this in mind I tested the overlap and they coincided; If one block had a different 'coloring' for its light then another, the shadow would appear over the offending space that the two sources share.
01/29/2015 6:39 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Hero
GarretSidzaka
lighting bugs are common in the client. but if you get a lighting nibbler array error, you will need to use the anvil cleaner program here: http://ci.minesworn.com
01/29/2015 10:32 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
This. Just stand in the affected area and cause a block update to fix it.
01/29/2015 4:42 pm
Level 47 : Master Giraffe
discOtter
I doubt that they're physically casting a shadow. Its more likely that the game just doesn't know there's a light source there until the blocks affected are updated. Try installing OptiFine (http://www.optifine.net). As the name suggests, it uses more compact (optimized) solutions to the way Minecraft renders terrain. If you're using Forge, just put the JAR file inside the mods folder. If not, extract the entire thing into your preferred Minecraft.jar. If you use the automatic installer, it'll create a whole new profile for it, so avoid that. Just make sure you get one of the Ultra versions (they're the most widely compatible).
01/29/2015 4:20 pm
GhostXavier
Bumping. Still no solution after a few more tests. Anyone?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome