Suggestions for a Roleplay server?

OneBarRouter's Avatar OneBarRouter7/3/15 8:47 pm
7/13/2015 7:02 pm
forgot about you's Avatar forgot about you
Hello there,

My mods and I are developing what we believe to be possibly the best MineCraft Roleplay server ever. We are using the map Kargeth made by Madnes64 and his team to create the artistic medieval atmosphere needed to accomplish the "Kingdom" feel of our server. We will have NPCs roaming almost every inch of the server, each one with quests, or something to say. We have custom items, such as Staffs, shoulder cannons, grappling hooks, custom bows, custom armor, attributes, and more! We have a system so players can rent pre-built houses in the heart of the city. We may even implement an NPC bodyguard system!

We were trying to brainstorm even more ideas for our server, and I came across a few questions I decided to ask the public:

1. What is the best plugin for creating a custom boss? Mythic Mobs is pretty ineffective...

2. What plugins should we have?

3. What should the story behind our server's "campaign" be?

4. What do you, as players, want to see on our amazing Roleplay server?

Rules:
Stay on topic.
Offer positive suggestions.
OneBarRouter
Level 7 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/13/2015 7:02 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
L10NER_Some Plugins
MCmmo

07/13/2015 6:39 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
xXSquirtleMixoXx
*poke* *poke*
07/08/2015 3:14 pm
OneBarRouter
Ok so I was thinking. I think that it would be sick if I used the world Dungeon generator plugin to make a world filled with dungeons, then made that world a factions world, where players could claim land, make businesses/shops, make alliances, interact with NPCs and more.

What does everyone think about this?
07/08/2015 7:57 pm
Zeirito
That would be pretty cool IF the world wasn't heavily based on Factions and more based on role-playing, doing tons of epic quests, huge boss fights and exploring custom dungeons was more the focus of the server.

Instead of factions I would put guilds and parties instead but
that's just my opinion it's your server.
07/09/2015 3:04 pm
OneBarRouter
I actually changed my mind. I did some thinking about it, and factions are too depressing. You work hard, get loads of stuff, then some jerk comes and steals it.

I decided I would make this world Towny instead. The reasons being:
1. Towny is better because it is more controlled than factions, and people can actually cooperate in them. People can literally build kingdoms with other players.

2. There are already tons of factions servers (same with Towny but I dont care)

3. It wouldn't interfere with roleplay.

There is also another world filled with dungeons that you can access with /warp dungeons. This will be a good addition for Roleplay.
07/08/2015 8:09 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Crafter
niceguy11
You should say a Rpg. This doesn't feel roleplayish at all and it feels more of quests instead of two or more players setting out a scene and actually playing it.
07/08/2015 3:15 pm
Level 24 : Expert Ranger
SuperSwoosh
RPG? Role-playing-game?
07/08/2015 2:17 pm
OneBarRouter
1. Can you retype this with legible grammar, please?

2. I think you mean that this isn't Roleplay. It is. Doing quests, upgrading skills/ranks, following a STORY, and quests/NPC interaction is pretty much as close as it gets to a Roleplay server on Minecraft.
07/07/2015 11:44 pm
Zeirito
I agree with about everything that has been posted here so far.

All I have to add is it would be cool if you made lots of custom skill sets that players could improve and have a side goal while they explore the server and do quests.
07/08/2015 2:15 pm
OneBarRouter
We do already have skills added with the McMMO plugin. You can increase skills like archery, swordsmanship, unarmed combat, brewing, enchanting, and many more! I'll look into custom skills for you, though.

For side quests, I was thinking something like ancient ruins that players would have to use clues to locate, which they could then trade in to a town wizard for rewards.

If anybody has any other ideas, do not be afraid to suggest them!
07/08/2015 6:55 am
xXSquirtleMixoXx
Yes, yes, oh my god, YES. THis way the classes feel different not just in weapons but also in skill set to have some real variety.
07/07/2015 8:13 pm
xXSquirtleMixoXx
Another idea:
Try to implement a gunman or soldier class that uses tanks and guns etc.
Also maybe add a technolcgical area with robot enemies. If you try to implement this idea, try playing any of the epic battle fantasy games, they show the setting way better than i can describe.

PS: *cough* *cough* samus armor *cough* *cough*
07/07/2015 10:50 pm
OneBarRouter
Well, it is a medieval roleplay server, but I guess maybe I could have a quest where a player "time travels" (aka teleports) to a futuristic area, to give that effect, and maybe while they are in the futuristic area, they would have the chance to get futuristic weapons/armor, but I'll look into that for you.
07/06/2015 1:39 am
Level 23 : Expert Narwhal
qwerty55
1. 2 greatest plugins ever are mythic mobs and command signs,
if you dont think mythic mobs is that great you obvs dont know how to use it to its potential - here is some of the mobs on our server...

http://nocturnerpg.enjin.com/forum/m/15555595/viewthread/22474741-custom-mobs-on-server

2. Theme, like a short introduction to what the servers all about when you log in.

3. Players, getting players onto a server isnt difficult but getting a playerbase that
is friendly and helpful is another thing - try encouraging good behavior.

4. Content, if you want players to stick around there has to be something to do
whether it be dungeons,bosses, minigames or just building a base
07/06/2015 7:57 am
OneBarRouter
1. While CommandSigns and MythicMobs are great plugins, how on Earth can you call them the greatest plugins? Uh, hello... Essentials, World Edit, Quests, RPGItems, World Guard, CoreProtect...

I actually did do a bit more looking into MythicMobs, and I figured out how to integrate it into quests, so now I can actually use it to it's full potential, so yeah, MythicMobs is OK.

2.There is a welcome tutorial to our server just like the Welcome Tutorial on Mineplex. The player is teleported around and shown things in the server, while text in chat explains things to them.

3. Well I like to joke around and be inappropriate sometimes... I'm not gonna ban somebody for cursing if that's what you mean. We do have a set of rules for our server that I think are reasonable.

4. There will be Quests, and LOTS of them. We hope to have 200-500 quests total. I'll look into adding dungeons and such, but I need to do a bit more work on Quests until we will have that on the server.
07/05/2015 12:29 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
NightShadeleWolf
will try and help a bit if I can out of experience with RP servers

1. Destruction of Land
This kinda gets annoying when you go out to the wilds wanting to build and you have to walk half way across the world cause it's a waist land and doesn't feel so RP like, so maybe make special areas for it? Such as a mining or tree farm area, and encourage replanting trees. Though people can still alter the wilds so they can build.

2. Warps/spawn are towns
When players first enter the server have a lobby were they select class, race, job ect. once they do they teleport to the Main city or their class/race area were they can build or buy their house if they want.

3. Shops
In each town have a variety of shops, and they don't have to exactly give an item they just add to the feel, let the players put some creativity into it, some examples are a baber shop, black smith with Farrier, Inn, and clothing shop as well as the basic stuff, try and think of what kind of shops your theme would have and maybe certain races sell certain item.

4. Custom mobs or monsters
Don't have to say much about this one it's kinda like custom NPC but you fight them.

5. Pay attention to detail
As I said with shops think of stuff that applys to your theme. One idea might be to add random structures around the world for people to explore (you might have to add protection so people don't mess them up but allow interaction).

6. Local chat that simulates talking
What I mean with this is make it to were you have to be near another player for them to hear you or if they are further away a yell command, also a whisper command if you want to tell a player something you don't want others to hear; you have to be right next to them do that.

7. Pet storage
Lastly the ability to summon/dismiss your pets, I saw a sever that did this and it could be very helpful so you don't lose your pets, some of the commands were: petclaim summon [mob name] [#] | petclaim stable [right click the pet you want to stable] | petclaim stableall | petclaim list. This was a custom plugin but you might be able to find something similar or make one if you can code.

Hope some of these ideas help , I was thinking about making my own server at one point but I sadly don't have the time. And dissregard the race stuff if you aren't adding races.
07/04/2015 7:02 pm
OneBarRouter
Player Trails are now added and implemented on the server!
07/04/2015 6:54 pm
Level 29 : Expert Artist
nikh
I'd recommend to have the plugin that allows /nick if you don have it already. It would make it easier to RP. You'd probably need the rules to say no innapropriate nicknames.
07/04/2015 6:57 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
That's called essentials.
07/04/2015 6:41 pm
OneBarRouter
Ok first off of the bat, great idea:

Player Trails
These would be really cool to possibly earn on the server. From certain NPCs, you can get a trail. I'd ask that trails aren't mindblowingly hard to get, because that'll just take the fun out of it.

Second of all, better believe that we are filling up a hundred block plus medieval kingom with NPCs, because its gonna happen:

"GL but if you want to fill the server with NPC which ALL have a use then either the map is small or you are attempting suicide"

Ok so I will just answer a few things quickly:

The IP is dystopia.apexmc.co -- We are currently whitelisted because I am in the middle of developing the server, but if you would like to be whitelisted, send me a personal message on PMC.

We have custom items, such as Rocket Launchers, staffs, rings, grappling hooks, custom bows, invis armor, and more, each with custom names and lore for a more immersive experience!

We may get Races/Classes, but I had a plugin, and classes like Elves couldnt wear iron+ armor, and a lot of the custom armor was iron+, so it defeated some of the feel. I will look into this further.

I like the home gardening idea.

Are you all still there? Any more ideas? If you want to be whitelisted, PM me.\
I also just made an enjin site, but I'm still working on it: dystopia-mc.enjin.com
Have a look!

Thanks,
OneBarRouter
07/04/2015 3:45 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Turtle
Deth_Glitch
GL but if you want to fill the server with NPC which ALL have a use then either the map is small or you are attempting suicide
07/04/2015 3:26 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Network
Fangs1000
I already like the idea of this. I'd suggest 2 plugins

Custom Enchantments
It'll be really cool to find swords and such that have enchants like these. Maybe put poison on a stick called "The Witch's Staff"? Things like that would attract players from afar.

Player Trails
These would be really cool to possibly earn on the server. From certain NPCs, you can get a trail. I'd ask that trails aren't mindblowingly hard to get, because that'll just take the fun out of it.

So far, I like the idea
07/04/2015 1:31 pm
Level 8 : Apprentice Modder
HornetYT
Some Plugins
MCmmo
BTW Whats The IP Im A Good Builder
07/04/2015 12:52 pm
Level 13 : Journeyman Dragon
EnderCat17
can you add the ability to be different races? AKA elf, dwarf, giant, and maybe even custom player-made races
07/04/2015 12:59 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Warrior
Treyvaderxio
Yeah this is a good idea too. Really adds to a roleplay feel! Also make separate classes
07/04/2015 12:30 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Explorer
bigfoot1220
i know back to the furture
07/04/2015 11:04 am
xXSquirtleMixoXx
Idea for ya:
Have a farming system for people who own houses so they can grow crops for decoration, and crafting equipment and healing items. BUT if there are craft-able weapons and armor, make them harder to craft by increasing the material costs for better gear. Maybe add wood and ore gathering systems. Can't wait to see this server go up!

Also: so that everybody can play it, maybe try not to use mods. Just a suggestion.
07/04/2015 10:03 am
Level 32 : Artisan Procrastinator
smythers
I'd have to agree with everything Treyvaderxio said, all I'd have to add is to just be original, be unquie, do what you guys do best and you guys will be 'the best MineCraft Roleplay server ever'.
Have fun with your server creation, get some good friendly mature moderators and staff and just do it for fun more than everything!
07/04/2015 9:42 am
Treyvaderxio
Now, for your questions:

1. Really can't help, but browsing the site and trying out different things might help. Watch some videos on plugins and roleplay servers. Also install some mods!

2. Atleast get some grief prevention plugins.

3. Whatever it is, make it good. This is gonna play a big part in your story. Also, never make it final. Always keep expanding on it so you can keep players active and continue gaining new ones. Creativity is key here!

4. I want to see a roleplay server that actually involves ROLEPLAY! I want to see people in character, I want interesting NPCs, I want bosses with STORY! I want to see classes with lore behind them also! Once again, Creativity is key in this aspect!
07/04/2015 9:38 am
Treyvaderxio
Yeah, I got some tips. But before I start, I want you to remember that this is only ADVICE, not solid ground rules you have to follow. Take and leave what you want from my advice, its your server after all.

-When creating an atmosphere, make sure to put extra effort into the buildings. You said that you were making a medieval atmosphere? Break a couple blocks in the buildings, put up some cobwebs. Make it look good!

-When making NPCs/Characters, Give them character! Don't make it like WoW where its practically "Kill 10 boars for some random farmer for some XP and a couple gold".

-Push players to stay in character. Don't harass or harbor them for not being IC, but whenever you see a player in character, give them some XP or a little bit of gold to show some quick appreciation.

-Named armor sets/Weapons. Trust me, they will make the server 100x cooler!

Now, for some quick guides you might find useful:

Dealing with farmers: Now, incase your unaware of what a farmer is, they are a person who deliberately farms mobs for the sole purpose of amassing a large fortune to screw over the economy. You WILL have people like this on your server.

How to fix this: If you notice that mobs in a certain area are being heavily farmed, buff up those mobs and add more of them. It should slow down farming as it will make farmers more likely to die and burn through their equipment.

Dealing with toxic players: Toxic players are usually little kids/trolls that insult/harass people on your server.

How to fix this: Make a warning system. If you see a player being toxic, write their name down on a sheet of paper. If you see them being toxic again, put a check by their name. If they keep doing it, cross their name out and ban them.

Keeping roleplay engaging: Players aren't gonna stay in character if there is a boring story to the game they are playing. Make it interesting! Make it FUN!

Also, when your done with the server, shoot me a message. I would be glad to play!
07/04/2015 8:49 am
OneBarRouter
bump
07/03/2015 10:03 pm
OneBarRouter
Any suggestions?
07/03/2015 9:03 pm
OneBarRouter
I also forgot to mention that we are making a secondary map to extend from our server's story/quests. It is called "Assassin's Cavern", and can be found here: http://www.planetminecraft.com/project/ ... ns-cavern/

Thanks,
Router
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome