2/16/2017 12:46 am
avrona's Avatar avrona

An open-world sandbox Mario game.

Interesting. Very interesting.

Let's discuss.
AnimeFanFTW
Forum Moderator
Level 59 : Grandmaster Senpai

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/16/2017 12:46 am
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskt ... VkY8SRVFmQ

It was Mario maker. I wasn't sure if I wanted to buy it, but I found it on a great discount and bundles with the artbook and pixel Mario amiibo, plus I saw lots of good reviews for the game online. But there are good gimmicks, like the Switch joy-cons, then there are bad ones like having one of the main appeals of the game being a different animation for just double jumping.
02/15/2017 3:10 pm
avrona
I don't know a lot about Mario (I only played one game), but this game seems a bit gimmicky to me. Like the hat. The trailer made it seem it's just an alternative animation to double jumping, or teleporting, or acting like a Russian acrobat, or just any other animation to go forward longer. Unless it will add some really awesome gameplay mechanics that will add actual depth to the game, it may be a bit dissapointing. I even made an entire video on why I am not hyped for Mario Odyssey.
02/15/2017 8:25 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Warrior
CaptainEvstike
Which game, and can you link the vid, I was looking for a video about that, the game sounds too good to be real. Whats a modern nintendo game without a gimmick?
02/07/2017 7:26 pm
CaptainEvstike
Just to clear up confusion.
1. This is not the first Super Mario sandbox game.
2. The city is only one single world, and as you can see in the trailer, the roads stop at a point. The city is just a big cube, with filler background.
3. The city will have Donkey Kong elements and will not take up the whole game, so I do not understand why so many people take the city as such a big deal.
4. The game still looks as if it has levels.
02/07/2017 7:26 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Artist
Miss Shadowz
i like mariokart is it as good
02/07/2017 7:27 pm
CaptainEvstike
Very different. Levels, not racing. You can only play as Mario. A small story, but there is one. Very different overall.
02/07/2017 6:51 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Batman
Cid_of_Lufenia
I find the game weird but interesting as even though most of the levels shown seem normal the city they show is unlike any other as it not only references a real world area (New York City) it seems there are realistic NPC's that seem very much out of place in a Mario game.

I hope it turns out well.
02/07/2017 5:54 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Racingman1
Well, considering some of the factors that, that GameXPlain 1 hour long analysis told me, it's gonna be as GRAND. AS DAD. (and when that car passes by in the beginning of the trailer it creates tiny gravel)
02/07/2017 5:46 pm
Level 54 : Grandmaster Dolphin
OilyBalls
Looks good.

The idea of an open-world sandbox type of game sounds interesting, and adding Mario into that mix makes it even more interesting. It's something new.

I really wonder what Mario would be doing in a big ol' city and what he'd be up to in a sandbox setting.... I wonder how Nintendo will explore the sandbox aspect of it. Will Mario be completing quests for whatever reason or accomplishing saving the Princess in whatever way he wants to? Who knows?

It's likely that I'll get it.

I'll have fun with constantly stomping real people for my entertainment this time.
01/13/2017 6:38 pm
avrona
What do you guys think this game would be like for someone like me who never played a Mario game, except for a few hours of Mario Maker?
01/13/2017 7:00 pm
AnimeFanFTW
Well, it's too early to tell what kind of game it'll be, but if you like platformers, I would imagine you would like it.
02/07/2017 5:23 pm
CaptainEvstike
I honestly wonder if it will be a failure. It looks great, but too great, like Nintendo will ruin it with some weird gimmick, and a story just like the others. People think it's going to be great, but how did Nintendo's other new games turn out. They remove some great feature for a cool gimmick or new useless mode. Playing Super Smash Bros. with only myself, was boring. Removed story mode to add 8 player smash, when I don't even have a second player to play with. But since the producer made Sunshine and 64, this can't possibly be too bad.
01/13/2017 3:32 pm
Level 74 : Legendary Vampire
Drzzter
I'm not sure how well that's going to work out.

Mario games IMO are at their best when they're purely platformers. The old-school ones, Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy, etc.

It also seems strange that they decided to set the game outside of the standard Mario universe. I didn't see any of the usual scenery, a lot of it seems to take place in a more realistic or modern setting.

I won't say for certain at this stage, but it almost seems like they're trying to capitalize on the current popularity of the open-world genre. Games like GTA or Minecraft spring to mind. They should stick with what they do best. I have a feeling it's going to play awkwardly and not going to be remembered very fondly.

Maybe I'll be wrong though, maybe it'll be a great game. We'll see.
01/13/2017 5:00 pm
AnimeFanFTW
One thing I did notice, with that modern city stage you're talking about, is that it's called "New Donk City". Which obviously references Donkey Kong. Saying one of the levels will be set in a realistic city is kinda too early to tell.

I don't see how they should stick to what they know best. Because if they did, it would be just another Mario game. I'm glad they're doing something new with the Mario franchise.
01/13/2017 3:06 pm
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Answer
Nah
gta 6 leaked footage
01/13/2017 2:48 pm
avrona
I only played one Mario game in my life, which was Super Mario Maker and I don't spend lot's of time with it anyway, but if the game is challenging without the use of constant deaths and it is cheap I may buy it.
02/07/2017 5:20 pm
CaptainEvstike
Super Mario Maker is no where close to similar with other games, especially the sandbox games.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome