Text-based Game/Application Engine

Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox12/9/14 3:01 am
1 emeralds 3.2k 60
5/26/2015 6:54 pm
Snowyfox's Avatar Snowyfox

Original thread
About an hour or more ago, I made a very unrefined thread about the first complete version of Tamago. To make lives easier for everyone else, I decided to be productive this morning by trimming off all the game-specific elements and salvaging just the engine of it.

As in the previous case, .jar comes with .java files. Two of them. One is commented completely and spaced generously for readability, and the second one is completely uncommented pure code.

Take this engine, guys. Do something with it. Anything. Have fun.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7c1o8uiicbsed ... o.jar?dl=0
Normal Dropbox link, no direct-download.

I call this engine "Tekusuto" (Japanese loanword from English "text"). Won't give a unique name because there's nothing unique about this. Just for your convenience.

I'm gonna give a copy of this to my classmate in computer science later this morning. I'll see if it helps him get a better understanding of how Java works. And maybe he'll make a little game with it or something.

*EDIT* I'm not going to make screenshots for this one. Okay, maybe I will, but later. I won't post much. Just one or two, so you guys can see how it looks like.

For those confused, this engine is comprised of two text fields, "input" and "output" in a window. You type text in 'input', hit Return, and stuff you wrote in 'input' is parsed by the code into individual commands. The rest of the program then decides what to do based on what you type (and uses "output" to, well, give output).

It SOUNDS simple (and anybody competent enough in Java will find this a breadcrumb), but for barebone beginners to Java, this is quite a lot of code (codeviewer.org/view/code:4894 for reference), and it's a nice little artifact to study over and experiment with, as compared to stuff like "HelloWorld" (Of course, please, get a hang of HelloWorld and "public static void main(String[] args)" first before you try to mess with this engine).

Please read the original thread if you have no idea what's going on!

Tekusuto I https://www.dropbox.com/s/7c1o8uiicbsed ... o.jar?dl=0
Tekusuto II https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuq1gxfes6pk4 ... D.jar?dl=0
Tekusuto III - Beta build, tweaked to function https://www.dropbox.com/s/x13z6jpbzk7hp ... D.jar?dl=0

Tekusuto v2 changelog
+ Output box changed to JTextArea
> Now has a border
> Now supports multiple lines
> Now has a scrollbar

+ Installed third-party console (code is in a separate class)
> Command to open is "debug time"
> Closable

+ Added 400x60 background image slot behind output box
> Default is GIMP's Ice pattern with slight fadeout near bottom

+ Added 400x400 image slot as main graphics display
> Default is GIMP's Ice pattern overlaid with Tekusuto's logo

+ Added echo command, disabled for now

+ Added note command
> Each line supports as long as the parser will allow you
> Multi-line and appends per use (does not clear previous entries)
> Supports manual clearing
> Does not clear output or impede with the program
> (outputs using a dialog box)
Snowyfox
Level 26 : Expert Princess

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/26/2015 6:54 pm
Snowyfox

A little teaser for you guys~

And yes, there's background music. I haven't cited
them yet (I will, later, in the credits screen), but
they're from Kevin Macleod.

*EDIT* Yes, the game is called "Matterless Wall", I don't intend to hide that from you guys.
*EDIT 2* Read output box from bottom to top. Latest message appears at the top.
05/26/2015 6:50 pm
Snowyfox
I haven't made an update here in a while.
I won't say much, but just telling you guys that two
new Tekusuto v4 games are coming up~

Anytime soon?

One of them is near complete. I got tons of schoolwork atm (finals coming up, ISUs running everywhere), so I can't really work on them. Also, it was SUPPOSED to be the submission for my ISU, until I took note of the requirements that the teacher wanted, and also because I joined a new team, so I'm working on a new game with them at the moment.

(On a side note, we've had pretty neat success with ImageIcon-based 2D graphics, so that's quite a bit of time chopped off for my Tekusuto v5 implementation next time)

The other one hasn't even been started yet, but I'm quite excited for it. It's more private and personal (i.e. coded for myself, as something I can enjoy, as one of the games truly suited for me (I never really found a game that I really really liked...)). I won't tell you guys about it, but I have reason to believe that I'll use Tekusuto off-the-box for it (the images are a concern...wonder how I'm going to fill them).

Just to bring news, and to inform why I have no updates so far. Merci~
05/05/2015 11:09 pm
Snowyfox

Fig. 1: Tekusuto 1.

Fig. 2: Tekusuto 2, 3 and 4 (with -norun or no game loaded)

2, 3 and 4 saw a period of internal structure change. In terms of the actual GUI, pretty much nothing has changed. Lightless will probably see the current GUI being put to actual use, and v5 might implement new graphic features.

*LATE EDIT*

Decided to use Tekusuto's graphical capabilities while I'm at it. I probably should edit the output background so that the image blends better, but not nao. I'll do it when Lightless comes. I'll be leaving Koala On The Tree like this now (It's better than the blank default image before).
05/05/2015 10:59 pm
Snowyfox
PMC, seriously? I had to keep messing around for 15 minutes to filter out ”Programs” just so my entire post won't be blocked. Anyways...

MASSIVE changes today~
I didn't deal with bugs today. Instead, there was a lot of renaming, reorganisation and copying. In it, I've managed to implement a lot of necessary features (including the spell/skill system), and made some nifty changes that makes things easier for the future.

All classes are now under "tekusuto_v4", which is split into 3 subpackages.
One of them is simply "Games", which houses all Tekusuto games and programs. I'll rename it to ”Programs” or something more generic later. When you're making a game or program using Tekusuto, make sure it goes under this package. Right now, its only member is an updated Koala On The Tree (yes, it still works).

The other two are a pair of VideoGame systems; one is "Athis", a heavy video game system/library that includes many features great for RPG use (in fact, it's designed specifically for RPGs), and the other is "Selene", which is a minimalistic video game system/library meant for things like visual novels or artistic works, which don't need that many variables or functions, and instead would be better suited with simple and small code.

I haven't tested the new AbnormalMoves (since it handles anything that's not a normal attack or any other generic action, i.e. skills and spells that are user/caster-specific) functions, but I don't see why they wouldn't work as well as the CombatSystem. As the code stands, I don't really see any room for error or problems. I'm excited to use it for my game~

TL;DR Changelog for today:
(1) Tekusuto v3 migrated fully to Tekusuto v4

(2) Classes separated into subpackages under a main "tekusuto_v4" package

(3) Several renames, such as "Statistics" into "Character" (every entity, including NPCs, enemies and the player, will all have their own Character class, with their own stats and inventory).

(4) Code cleaned up and made more sensible, with easily seen patterns of dependency (i.e. clear relationships between classes), more use of variables of objects instead of messy static variables, and more accurate naming.

(5) All classes updated to reflect new changes. All are functional as before.

(6) Some other things that I haven't taken note of. Or at least details that I will not go further into.

Plans for next development session:
(1) Implement a background music system controllable with the usual input system.
(Won't be too hard, but a bit time consuming since it's something I'm not used to yet. However, I've already made a fully working music player (called Parafet), so all I have to do is use it as reference to build a new music player that doesn't even have a GUI. Code will be cheap).

(2) Begin work on Lightless. Work on Lightless should coincidentally fill in all the holes remaining and finish off Tekusuto v4 in the process. Same situation as before.

I'm quite proud of myself for the work I've done this night. There were a few inefficiencies, but I really like all the new changes. Things will also be easier in the future now that I've organised everything to be more expandable and modifiable (the relationships between the classes were a bit of a train wreck before). *stretches*
So yay~!
05/05/2015 7:57 pm
Snowyfox
*chuckles*
So, umm, guys, serious apologies for this, but...

I'm jumping straight to Tekusuto v4.

I'm about to start on a new game called "Lightless". It's an RPG about a dark knight who has to overcome a kingdom and a dragon in his quest to get the greatest sword in the land. Might be sequel-worthy.

Regardless, in the process of doing that, I will have to create a spellcasting system. So, I ran Eclipse and decided to start working on that, until...

I realised that the layout of my engine is kinda...bad.

Not necessarily bad, but it's starting to grow larger. Into a proper project. And I plan to make multiple versions of the same set of classes, depending on what purpose you would like to use them for. For example, there'll be a set heavy on video game features (such as this spellcasting system), and a lighter set for visual novels, and the such.

To do that would be to split the entire thing into multiple packages, since there's no folder system in Java for organisation. And by splitting into packages, I now have to learn how to properly use class visibility.

All of this would create pretty big changes in the engine, so I figured that if I do this, I might as well implement all the changes meant for the next version (e.g. background music support). I will have to shift "higher resolution" to the next version, v5; that version will probably also see video support.

So, thus, if I am to go on, the amount of new changes would be too massive to still count as "v3". I'm shifting straight to v4 without officially publishing a full version of v3. I hope you guys don't mind.

*EDIT* I've learned how to create subpackages. Let's see how this turns out.
05/02/2015 2:03 am
Snowyfox
SnowyfoxTekusuto III - Beta build II, pre-loaded with Koala On The Tree, a short demo game (type ">" to advance)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0l3Rq ... sp=sharing

Here's the small snippet of text that PMC servers are refusing to let me put into the main post.

So I packed up the current build of Tekusuto. It's not fully complete yet, but very functional. It's already configured to run Koala On The Tree, a short game that displays the basic I/O functions of Tekusuto, through the input and output text boxes. Use ">" to continue (then press Enter/Return, of course). Every step in the game requires this; it just makes sure you're reading. It's turn-based, not real-time, hence why this is the way it is.

The .jar file is getting quite big (I've included Utilities and Miscellanous in this package), so I've placed the source code in a folder inside the .jar so things will be easier to see. Enjoy taking a look around, guys~

By the way, yes, this .jar doesn't display the graphic capabilities of Tekusuto. I'll do that on the next upload.
05/02/2015 1:18 am
Snowyfox
Alright, decided to stay up for a while. After about half an hour of work...

(1) I've debugged one thing and find it incredibly easy to switch images. It's the straightforward first-thing-I-thought-of kind of thing. At any case, yes, we can change the image without much effort.

(2) I've added our first utility to Utilities.class. It has two arguments;
(i) the filename (no extension or massive address needed; just give the name of the image itself, and it'll load directly from the engine folder (or a deeper folder if you'd like)), and
(ii) a boolean called "main". Right now, Primaire only has two image slots; the main display and the output box background. If you give "true", it'll change the main display's image; if you give "false", you'll change the output box background image.

The output box's background image is mostly for environment; if you're in a Hell level, for example, you should probably change it to something lava-ish and stuff.
And the main display is, well, the main display.

(3) Due to this advancement, our current build of Tekusuto SHOULD fully support visual novels. We have a next-dialog command, a working dynamic display, a savegame system and a basic level system, so we can easily make a linear visual novel. So yay~
05/01/2015 11:18 pm
Snowyfox
Giving another update, guys. I finished Koala On The Tree either yesterday or the day before (can't remember too well...but it was recent). I can't post it today because I'm a bit busy; it might be a few days before I get things running.

But regardless, so far, Tekusuto seems complete, and I've learned quite a few things about it from doing Koala On The Tree. Regardless, I'm going include this demo game (with source code, as usual) to give an example of how Primaire ties the rest of the engine to the game. So far, using the command parser and the output is really easy.

By the way, regarding the command parser...I added a new command, ">". This just acknowledges the current message and continues the game. Currently, I pause the game whenever a message is displayed to the player, and they have to say ">" to unpause to the next step. I suppose if your game is real time or something, you can still use it to resume the game if you pause it. Or the such.

Look into Koala On The Tree's pause() method to see how it pauses. It's actually just a while loop waiting for the resume variable to come true. ">" sets that variable to true, so pause() stops and lets the rest of the code after it continue. And yes, it works, I've tested it. Took me a while to implement the pausing system, but it's a lifesaver now that I can let the user read text without having everything else running (Message acknowledging is a key component in pretty much ANY program...).

Leaving those aside, my next job now is to prepare Tekusuto for full v3. I think I'll make a .zip of the current build, which is quite usable at the moment. However, I created a new class called "Utilities" that is supposed to house, well, utilities, for the programmer. It's currently empty except for a single variable, so I hope to fill it up.

And putting that aside, I have yet to test the image system. Sure, at initial startup, it loads the image just fine. But, to change it...The last time I tried that (in a separate experiment in a separate computer), that didn't go very well. So I have to test this one out and do the appropriate modifications or find a way to load the display to a new image.

Speaking on that topic, once I get that finished (it's compulsory to get v3 released), I'll probably put methods in the Utilities class to let the coder easily change images (just call the method with a filename, and voila, everything handled for you).

Anyone planning to use this so far?
04/24/2015 11:41 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc1820037
[deleted]
04/25/2015 12:03 am
Snowyfox
I'm not that far in either xD I think with a bit of effort, somebody can catch up and jump into the action within 3 hours, as long as they got the hang of another programming language.
04/24/2015 9:47 pm
Snowyfox
Bumpy bumpy~
04/22/2015 6:48 pm
Snowyfox
Err, guys, so, this is a tiny bit funny...

I started up STS today and wanted to continue my work on the Mapping class, but...

It seems I'm done...

The Statistics class already has two variables that support a linear level system. So based on my current plan, that is actually sufficient for present purposes.

That means that Mapping is already done, and all I need to do is the final step; the game class itself.

My hands are a bit limp, but I'm gonna go ahead a bit, though I won't go that far. I should be able to get answers fast enough for the following question;

Do you guys think I should try to run around the engine, improve features and then publish it as a complete v3 ready to have a game installed on it? Or should I just code a simple game and plug it in to see if it works first?
04/03/2015 8:18 pm
anonpmc1820037
[deleted]
04/03/2015 3:38 am
Level 20 : Expert Cake
mcrocks999
I love this idea only problem is if I were to use it for my game it would need heavy modding to integrate things such as a mapping system and stuff like detailed information about individual objects that can be modified and so.
04/03/2015 2:41 pm
Snowyfox
Yeah~
That's kinda one "problem" that we need to solve atm.

I started Tekusuto as a basic engine for those who want really simple games. But even then, you need to code the Mapping for it, which will be utterly ridiculous. Right now we're finishing up v3, where I consistently add more features, and I try to make it easier to mod. But even at this stage, adding the game itself isn't the only problem; for pretty much any game idea anyone here at PMC has at the moment, you need to mod a lot more features in. Only those with simple quick ideas can use this version off the bat.

For now, we'll have to keep devving. My plan is to finish Tekusuto v3 and then send it up to GitHub. That way, I can let the rest of you guys branch it all out and create new versions faster. Then we'll be closer to adding features such as 2D or 3D graphics, and support for individual objects in the game area. But it'll still take a while. Nevertheless, I hope eventually those kind of crucial stuff gets built-in, instead of forcing the game dev to also implement their own code for it to work.
04/03/2015 2:06 am
Snowyfox
On a side note, would you guys like me to give the current build of Tekusuto? It technically works just fine. But I planned to work on it longer or even complete it before giving a copy to you guys. If you need it or want to see the new changes, I don't mind pasting it here.

By the way, as far as I know, the links in the first post only go up to version 2. I was surprised to learn of this when I tried showing one of my classmates my work; version 2 has the new GUI, but the commands are still primitive, and there's not much plugins. So. Derp. But yeah, I'm not putting official v3 links there until they're complete.

*EDIT*

Look at how big Tekusuto is at the moment~

*EDIT 2*
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x13z6jpbzk7hp ... D.jar?dl=0
Here's a Beta .jar of Tekusuto. AFAIK it should work perfectly fine. It has Console, Parser and Primaire in it, with dependencies removed. It actually should serve as a pretty nifty and complete blank engine to work on. And yes, I removed the save and load commands since they don't work without the...what was it...? Ah, right. Mapping.

*EDIT 3* I hope you guys will not incur wrath on me for using Dropbox. Yes, I know that you need an account now. I won't use anything else anytime soon, but give me some time. Maybe I'll use Google Drive or something.
04/03/2015 2:03 am
Snowyfox
Hey, guys! I know I haven't updated in a long time, but here we go!

Contrary to what you may think, no, I have not forgotten about this project at all. In fact, I've been looking forward to working on it, but ever since my trip back to Malaysia, I haven't been able to get the free time required to get things up and running again. In fact, I tried once or twice to start working, but I didn't really know where to start, as I haven't worked on the project in a while.

At any case, separate research and my ICS class has gotten me tons of experience with reading and writing to text files. As such, I've created a new class for Tekusuto called "Mapping", which currently contains DataTrading, a class that loads and saves from savefiles. It also has a Statistics class which handles all the usual player stats such as current progress along with unnecessary but common stuff like player names, HP, Strength, equipped weapon, 等等.

To complement these new changes, I've also made a dependency chart that shows the class structure of Tekusuto, along with any relationships between classes that involves one not being able to work without the other.

In this case, we can see that Mathematics and DataTrading depend on Statistics; without an adequate Statistics class, they would not function. Miscellanous is mostly independent, but one tiny part of it requires Console, hence the dependency. Parser requires Primaire for obvious reasons (...If it's not obvious enough...Parser takes commands from an input field, something that currently only Primaire provides).

I have a long weekend right now and there's several extra free time breaks coming up, but I also got a bit of work to do, so not sure if I can spend a lot of time working on things. But I just want to announce that we're still around, and we're starting to get things running again.

No time to work on GitHub atm, btw. Yes, I know, I know, but I want to finish this version 3 before I set up GitHub and let all of you guys build version 4 by yourself, without any help from me. :3 For now, just keep devving using the links I give here.

Also, just to make things clear, yes, the saving and loading mechanisms worked perfectly on second try (It didn't work in first try as the saving mechanism didn't save changes due to me not closing the PrintWriter...a few seconds fixed it). And yes, if you edit the .sav file directly, you can load it up and use it as a hacked save file just fine. In fact, I decided to upgrade the test commands and leave load and save as permanent general commands, complete with a confirm dialog. And yes, both load and save require a filename to work. No complex filenames, no ridiculous amounts of buttons to click through to juggle around multiple savefiles.
02/09/2015 12:20 am
Snowyfox
Strange. I think it's happening with the others too. It's confusing. It works perfectly fine in both of my computers (one's running Windows 7 and this one running Windows 8.1).

What did you try to type?
02/09/2015 6:59 pm
anonpmc1820037
[deleted]
02/09/2015 10:32 pm
Snowyfox
There's no command called "help". In Tamago, there's "?", but in Tekusuto, I never implemented a "help" command, as if you're messing with the engine, you probably have access to the code and be able to see all the commands you have access to anyways.

Didn't I mention a few posts back all the commands? lol.

Check out the code if you're confused. As the output box initially says, not much business if you're not a developer.

If you just want to check the engine out...there's not much installed in it at the moment. At least, for an end-user to toy around with. I could give you a Miscellanous file with a bunch of toys in it, but you still have to add them as plugins to the code, so...
02/09/2015 10:39 pm
anonpmc1820037
[deleted]
02/09/2015 10:46 pm
anonpmc1820037
[deleted]
02/09/2015 11:51 pm
Snowyfox
You're lucky you even have a stable build of Java installed by default, lol! I'm used to Debian, and here, we don't get Java pre-installed (as far as I'm concerned). Getting openJDK or something is always a concern after I set the initial stuff up. Worst part is, I don't even know how to do normal Linux compiling, and I have hilarious trouble figuring out how to use a Makefile, so it's not as simple as downloading the source from Oracle and installing from there.
02/07/2015 12:42 pm
Snowyfox
Has anybody done anything yet?

I want to, but things keep stacking up on me. Before I knew it, I hardly had enough time to work on Tekusuto. I don't know when's the next time I have free time to work on it. And I'm still very doubtful on implementing things to GitHub; for a small project like this, it seems a bit heavy of things for me to learn; I might better invest the time trying to continue coding on it.

It's currently Saturday, and I'm returning to Malaysia in Wednesday, and I have a Mandarin presentation I have to RUSH to finish by Tuesday, along with a variety of other work to do. And packing. I'm a bit scared. I'm stuck at the moment in terms of coding. Or my own free time, for that matter.

I need some time.
01/16/2015 9:44 am
Snowyfox
TIL Dropbox requires a user account. Derp. I can try to find a non-user-based host (maybe Google Drive...?), but give me some time.

*EDIT* Derp. Installed these two guys into my other comp, and it turns out I forgot to give you guys Console.java too. It's a slightly modified version of one I found on the internet. I can't remember the guy's name, and I can't seem to find him right now too. When I give the file later, you'll see the credits inside. So, yeah.

Feel free to just disable the skyrimtilde command for now.

*EDIT 2* Here you go. Console. I made it return to Tekusuto by modifying windowClosed to return instead of System.exit(0).
01/15/2015 12:53 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter
elfin8er
Snowyfox
elfin8erI'm liking these updates so far. You should really put it on github though!

These kinds of things, I always see as "pro tools". They're basic things but really optimized and upgraded for epic productivity. For a project like this, a really small one, I think we can all pull off our own manual version control for now. Whatcha guys think?

I really think you should. I really want to help with this (if you want), and this is the best way to do it xD
01/14/2015 11:31 pm
Snowyfox
Primary Interface

Command Parser

Since things have been going rather slowly for such a long time, it's probably time to just let you guys have what I have so far. I'm quite satisfied with my Primaire and Parser so far, and these two are the core of the whole engine, so, here, take them; the bare minimum for the engine to even run. Let's just call them version "3A".

I believe I haven't removed the "static Inventory inv = new Inventory()" and "static Mathematics calc = new Mathematics" from Primaire yet. That would be my mistake. But those two show kinda how the add-on system work (it's not really as complex as it sounds...it's just a template for adding external classes...). Feel free to code up your own Inventory and Mathematics classes.

I can't give you my current Inventory and Mathematics classes, because
(1) they're quite simple (and thus kinda incomplete or at least inadequate for a decent game)

(2) they're both inside a class file called "VideoGame", where I store all the add-ons that are video-game-related. Inside this file is also...just my Combat System right now. I believe the Combat System is actually fully functional right now, but it is also simple and a bit inadequate.

Overall, this class file is decent but incomplete as of the moment, so I won't provide it to you guys until I finish things up in it. I'll hand it over once it's done. If you guys insist, I can give it and you can build on it, but...whatever suits you guys' need first.

I'd love to see what we build together, guys. Let's do this!

By the way, the parser is pretty decently commented, but Primaire isn't as much. Primaire was designed to be clean. So, sorry if it seems a bit confusing. It isn't that much, though. Most of it is just initializing all the elements of the main window.

If you guys are kinda stuck on what to do...I am currently researching the combat system (so far, I've created a simple battle between the player and the enemy with normal attacks, both sides having their own damage and HP (damage isn't constant, btw; my Mathematics system generates a damage value based on a weapon's "potency" (strength/power))). You can try to beat me in that race.

If that's not fancy, you can opt for the Campaign system instead, which I have absolutely not worked on at all. The campaign system has the job of managing the game's actual plotline (so it ties together various systems such as stats (HP, MP, equipment, level), the map, the save system). Note that these aren't really needed for something that's not quite a video game or RPG; visual novels will obviously need less (just a simple branching map and a save system will suffice).

Godspeed, guys. Merry coding.
01/14/2015 11:22 pm
Level 28 : Expert Pirate
HassanPCMR
Can't wait to see a great game be developed for this when the engine gets more refined.
01/14/2015 11:32 pm
Snowyfox
If you want a HORRIBLE game, check out "Tamago" that uses Tekusuto 1. lol.

I can't wait either...Well, okay, I can wait. I'm patient. But I'd like to see a great game eventually come out of this too.
01/04/2015 5:53 pm
elfin8er
I'm liking these updates so far. You should really put it on github though!
01/14/2015 11:10 pm
Snowyfox
Well, today I've decided to test out GitHub. My eyes aren't working as well past 10PM, so things seem a bit complex so far, but I got the gist of it pretty well. Git itself is what looks daunting, though. I won't try to tackle it today. I'm not sure if I should even try it at all.

These kinds of things, I always see as "pro tools". They're basic things but really optimized and upgraded for epic productivity. For a project like this, a really small one, I think we can all pull off our own manual version control for now. Whatcha guys think?
01/03/2015 6:19 pm
Snowyfox
I managed to get the combat system fully functional for really minor purposes. It's only set up for tests, though. I'm gonna add the other tidbits and then finalize it.

*EDIT* On a side note, the testing notices that I've made really give the impression of an RPG game. "The enemy now has 0HP! The enemy has been defeated!"といった.
12/28/2014 2:04 am
Snowyfox
Fixed it, Jamen?

By the way, guys, I just returned from a vacation and have been resting for a day or two. Now I'm starting to get the hang of things again, and have been coding for quite a while. I've managed to begin developing the combat system, but having a tiny bit of a snag deciding whether or not to create a complete stats system or make do with simple arguments before every method for now. Hope the delay isn't excruciating.

So far, I've completely finished the damage generator. It's barely any code but it took a while for me to figure it out and make it.

*EDIT* Alright, I finished the basic attack system. These things are so simple, yet I took so long to implement them...At least I'm sort of in the programming mood.
02/07/2015 5:19 pm
anonpmc1820037
[deleted]
02/07/2015 5:50 pm
anonpmc1820037
[deleted]
12/19/2014 3:44 pm
anonpmc1820037
[deleted]
12/19/2014 1:56 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
12/19/2014 3:36 pm
Snowyfox
Haha! Great~ I included the .java files inside. It's best to learn how by simply looking at the source code; it explains things far better than I can put into words. And I believe I've placed comments there too.

Upgrading to Java 8 fixed it. Hmm. That means part of my code requires Java 8. I'm not exactly sure what that may be.
12/18/2014 3:53 pm
Snowyfox
amazoDog161Error: Unable to access jarfile

lol huh? That's it? Sure you used the right name? You can't do "java -jar Tekusuto.jar", I think. Try "java -jar Tekusuto". Or try using a full path.

*EDIT* nvm. You have to add the ".jar".
12/18/2014 12:45 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
12/18/2014 12:39 pm
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
12/18/2014 10:53 am
Snowyfox
amazoDog161I like the idea, and I'll try it out once i get it to launch

I get the following error when attempting to launch the .jar(happens with both v1 and v2):

Use [simg] next time, lol xD

And dangit. Not ANOTHER exception problem. Do you know how to run jars from command line? If so, could you do that? That'll show you the error log. Or maybe you could even get the stack trace into some file, then pass it to me, so I can see where things went wrong. If you don't know, you can do "java -jar Tekusuto.jar" when you're in the directory where the .jar is. That'll give the console a place to output to.

Also, should I try to fix the dialogmain thing and then reupload v2, just to be safe? It might work. Maybe the link has an old version or something. Also, please note that I coded these guys in Java 8. If you haven't updated yet, try updating. Maybe that works.
12/18/2014 10:38 am
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
12/18/2014 10:38 am
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
12/18/2014 10:22 am
elfin8er
Thanks for the progress reports. I enjoy reading 'em. I still think you should post this on github though
12/18/2014 3:07 am
Snowyfox
Meanwhile, does anybody have free time to burn and have a hang of IO systems?

I would like a savegame system for Tekusuto. It doesn't need to be filled (that is, configured to actually save anything), but it needs to be able to save a bunch of values into a text file and read them back. No encryption needed; I have no intention to protect the save files. For now, the whole point is kinda to let the player modify them freely if they want or need to.

Essentially, I need a class file that can read and write to a text file. I can then mod that a bit to fit the engine. Credit will be given. Anybody up for the challenge?
12/18/2014 2:29 am
Snowyfox
Working on Tekusuto v3 at the moment, guys. I fixed the DialogBox thing earlier (and deleted dialogmain while I was at it). I also changed "windowmain" to "mainframe" to fit in with the rest of my projects (I call all my main JFrames as "mainframe" now).

On the meanwhile, remember the whole "plugin" thing? It's working perfectly at the moment. I've made quite a bit of plugins and the such. The parser and the inventory are now in separate classes and are working awesomely without complaint.

I also have a "Miscellanous" class file that has a lot of smaller classes (two of which are jokes..."VirtualMarvin" which simulates one of my internet friend's cat, and "SkyrimHorse", a thing that goes up constantly in altitude but sometimes spikes up REALLY HIGH for no reason).

Progress is going good. If you guys want to write your own plugins, tell me. I'll be glad to give some instructions and test them out for you.
12/16/2014 11:57 pm
Snowyfox
Share the celebration, guys! After hours of productive work and research, I am almost finished updating my visual novel engine. I learned a GIANT ALMOND worth of things while doing so. I now know how to call methods and classes based on a String variable (something that proved crucial in my case because letting the visual novel stages have their own class files and functionality provides a realm of freedom and ease-of-use, compared to plain text-files that are painful for the program to read and only provide text-based functionality).

That occupied most of my time, and I actually consider it an admirable feat by itself (for me, at least), but I also had a few tidbits of other things (I didn't know that you can simply do something like "(new Class()).method()" as a shortcut (instead of first instantiating the class with "Class lol = new Class()" and then "lol.method"), and I also got quite a bid of practice modding up the engine and rewriting it from scratch (I shaved off like around half of Tekusuto v2's code and rewrote some HikariGetsu-specific methods). It's not fully complete, but I hope to finalize HikariGetsu soon and publish it.

Why does this constitute a post here? Well, I learned a few new features that will prove useful for Tekusuto later. And I just wanted to report some progress on what I was doing. Since I forged this new version of HikariGetsu out of Tekusuto, I might import some of the code BACK into Tekusuto as improvements.

One thing of note is that I now know that it IS possible to call a method or instantiate a class with a name contained in a String variable. This allows the engine to call up a variety of other "plugins" and code without actually explicitly knowing what they are. This will be handy in creating an add-on system or for creating a reusable class loader that can load up things like combat systems, inventory systems and the such without modding the original engine intensively and rendering it unusable for other purposes.

My next project (after finishing up HikariGetsu) will be retrofitting the new tech I have into Tekusuto and then creating a variety of essential game add-ons, such as a basic combat system, an inventory system, a randomizer and stat calculator, all as separate classes attached to the main engine. Let's see how this goes.

Sorry for constantly posting at midnight, by the way. I tend to have the programming mood during these hours. And I'd be too excited to wait until the next day.
12/16/2014 6:45 pm
Snowyfox
Was installing jeeeyul's Eclipse Themes yesterday, and I found that GitHub actually looks kinda nice now. Maybe I should get around to it.

Anyways, I have free time and I just *slowpoke* finished researching Threading. It wasn't complicated before, and I don't know why I didn't get a hang of it (maybe I did and just forgot), but now I easily created one with hardly any effort or documentation reading. Any ideas on what to implement next?

On the meanwhile, I'll upgrade my visual novel engine 光月. Will be modifying Tekusuto v2 for this purpose.

*EDIT* Just found out something. Guys, note that whenever I call an OptionDialog, I put "dialogmain". I misunderstood the arguments. Set this to "windowmain" instead. This way, the dialog centers on the program itself (instead of the screen). Feel free to remove dialogmain. I'll do this on the next update to Tekusuto. Found this out while messing with HikariGetsu.
12/15/2014 11:18 am
elfin8er
Looking good! KeEP up the good work
12/15/2014 1:04 am
Snowyfox

Main screen. These are the default images. You can change "Title.png" and "Output.png" in the .jar file to change them, but you're meant to edit the code to search for other pictures instead.

*EDIT* Also, sorry for picking 1970s colors. But I just LOVE this color.

*EDIT 2* For pictures that seem too small, open them in a new window or tab to see full resolution. I'm using [simg] here.

[img]i.imgur.com/6f9Indg.png[/img]
[img]i.imgur.com/3oDhMYV.png[/img]

[simg]i.imgur.com/zX4J7AC.png[/simg]
Hit "Return" ("Enter" key for those who no potato) to parse the command. Note that the dialog boxes do not actually center on the parent window.

[simg]i.imgur.com/f4TvNSl.png[/simg]
Type "note " (note the space) (sorry for accidental pun) and then some text (don't forget to not exceed the 32 character limit) to jot it down. "note " by itself will create an empty line, I believe. "note" by itself (without the space) will display what you have so far. Type "note clear" to clear it off. None of these will change what is in output unless you exceed the 32 character limit. Be a tiny bit careful.

[simg]i.imgur.com/KAC1n9B.png[/simg]

[simg]i.imgur.com/DNJclVV.png[/simg]
Right now the console has been refurbished to display nothing. It probably won't generate any errors anytime soon. You can use it to see how "B" actually secretly ends a turn, and prints out the XP left and level to the console. This was left over from the original Tekusuto, and I'm too lazy to change it or at least comment it.

Not much instructions needed, guys. If you need extra info, check out the source code inside the .jar file. Things are clearer that way than when I say it here. xD
Have fun! Feel free to mod to oblivion or implement.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome