The big question: Is minecraft dying?

alexcamronjones's Avatar alexcamronjones9/15/14 1:39 pm
1 emeralds 10.1k 153
4/4/2017 7:42 am
Spectre's Avatar Spectre
I just want your opinion, do you think Minecraft is dying?

I think it is, first the EULA now Bukkit and Spigot have died... What next? Microsoft are probably going to ruin Minecraft.
alexcamronjones
Level 5 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/04/2017 7:42 am
Level 54 : Grandmaster Mage
Spectre
Is Minecraft dying for users like Mac and Linux who don't have Microsoft consoles? Yes.

Is Minecraft dying for users who have Microsoft systems? Absolutely not.

I have a suspicion this was intentional. I mean come on, Minecraft Windows 10 edition?
Microsoft aren't actually developing Minecraft.
04/04/2017 6:14 am
Level 1 : New Miner
EnderDragon03
Unfortunately I stopped for a few months playing Minecraft too.. in those months i found an app that seems a minecraft clone but it's very cool, i think it was published recently and i want make it known because it's cool, it's like a minecraft clone but in augmented reality and there is a social network in it where you can post your creation, if you are interested there is a youtube channel here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvfn-Q7TQMt-NlE147xTs4g, there are some videos but they don't give me explanations of some features maybe youtubers can make videos on it and creating a community, i think it's a great material
02/23/2015 7:26 am
Level 24 : Expert Architect
illdeletethis
Koffee7
illdeletethis
sadly even large servers like hypixel use game changing donation perks
i"m not against donation perks, add a [supporter] tag in the chat, or give a minor advantage in a game that can easily be overcome by someone with a little more talent or experience, but if you add a nuke to a paintball game that instakills all opponents you are destroying the game and it just is pay to win

Actually, it's not P2W anymore on the Hypixel server ever since the new EULA took place in August. All default players can unlock any perk that previous donators had exclusively. You just need to be determined and put the effort into doing so. I find it pretty hilarious that people still say Hypixel is P2W even though it's actually one of the few servers that actually followed the EULA.

ok, so you can unlock something donators have already through lots of playing, that makes it not quite pay to win, but it is still something so overpowered it destroys the game mechanics
02/22/2015 6:26 pm
Level 20 : Expert Engineer
MagnesiumFlarez
I agree that little kids are growing in numbers among the Minecraft communities, and that annoys me sometimes when they are being immature. Though I highly doubt the hype around Minecraft will dye anytime soon
02/22/2015 4:43 pm
Level 22 : Expert Taco
FLAMESS123
The bad thing is: The population of people who play it are below middle school age, I'm thinking. I've seen so many annoying little kids like: " Minecraft, Minecraft, MINECRAFT" Minecraft here minecraft there, its getting to be a thing that every elementary schooler will go through. This being said the minecraft communities are dwindling with the amount of mature players....
02/22/2015 4:40 pm
Level 29 : Expert Pirate
Ender_Destructor
I don't think Microsoft will kill minecraft, they know how much money it makes. They will probably just leave the mojang team alone and give them funding. They can tell that mojang knows what there doing with the game.
02/22/2015 4:35 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Architect
hutchy01
Yes but only in the mainstream to fans and adventurous gamers it will last forever
02/22/2015 4:33 pm
Level 25 : Expert Dragonborn
NevetCS
Minecraft WILL NOT be ruined by Microsoft. If you guys new what Microsoft was actually doing, then you guys wouldn't hate them. All they are doing is funding Mojang. Everyone who used to work on it still work on it (except Notch, of course). Microsoft is providing money to KEEP MOJANG RUNNING, and in turn, they get a portion of the profit.
02/22/2015 4:31 pm
TRicool22
Microsoft knows what they are doing... I mean look at halo, its still a very popular game
02/20/2015 11:47 pm
Level 25 : Expert Cookie
Koffee7
illdeletethis
Hawkstormer2. OP Donation Perks (outlawed, but still out there)
While people claim that there are still those "gem" servers out there, if it really takes all that effort to find said servers, then the game clearly is dying

i"m not against donation perks, add a [supporter] tag in the chat, or give a minor advantage in a game that can easily be overcome by someone with a little more talent or experience, but if you add a nuke to a paintball game that instakills all opponents you are destroying the game and it just is pay to win

Actually, it's not P2W anymore on the Hypixel server ever since the new EULA took place in August. All default players can unlock any perk that previous donators had exclusively. You just need to be determined and put the effort into doing so. I find it pretty hilarious that people still say Hypixel is P2W even though it's actually one of the few servers that actually followed the EULA.

Now, to the OP (Original Post) Minecraft won't be dying soon. There are many new players buying Minecraft and new servers popping up. Also, with the help of the community new maps, mods, etc.. are being made everyday! Minecraft won't die soon, but sadly it will happen eventually.
02/20/2015 11:31 pm
testbox360
The modding community has kept Skyrim (and even Oblivion) alive, 3 years after the updates and DLC stopped.

There is still hope, plus MC has Multiplayer.
02/20/2015 10:57 pm
Level 25 : Expert Hunter
bigf
yes
02/20/2015 10:47 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
aGuyNamedFish
I suppose I can see why you might think that minecraft is dying, I mean, microsoft banned servers from having actual donator ranks for crying out loud! That means that most servers will have to get money from somewhere other than donators, resulting in the end of lots of small community-based servers. Not to mention that the minecraft community is now predominantly young children, which is a bit of a different audience than it used to have. Either way, I'm not really sure where minecraft is going, but we can only hope for the best.
02/20/2015 10:54 pm
Level 24 : Expert Dolphin
Red_Bo
Microsoft never did that, neither did Mojang. You can still have donator ranks, just not ranks that give you an ADVANTAGE.

Also, refer to my last post regarding what Microsoft actually bought and what happened.

The EULA was always the same, only now they are enforcing this rule.
02/20/2015 10:40 pm
Level 24 : Expert Dolphin
Red_Bo
Microsoft isn't changing Minecraft. They just bought the rights. It's like buying a share from the stock market. You don't actually buy the company.

And, as Minecraft goes, it has passed it prime. It seems as though other PC games are starting to prevail. The community is shifting to a younger audience too.

Honestly, I think Mojang is going to wrong way as far as survival goes. They made survival boring and dull. It doesn't have the same difficulty and feel to it like it had a while ago.(I think hunger ruined it.)
I only think that the hunger system is flawed, not BAD.

If Mojang doesn't change something then the game will die.
The only thing keeping the game on it's feet is the servers. But now bukkit is gone, and there has not seemed to be innovation in minecraft since Wynncraft.

After a while, the only thing keeping the game on it's feet will be the modding community. There seems to be innovation there because it's not as accessable to everyone, which means you have to have some talent to make a mod.

Also, once a mod is made, it's made. It can't really be copied, and hasn't. Even when one has been copied(TMI) it seemed to be better than what it copied(NEI)!

So, I don't think minecraft will die as long as the modding community stays alive.
02/13/2015 10:54 pm
illdeletethis
Hawkstormer2. OP Donation Perks (outlawed, but still out there)
While people claim that there are still those "gem" servers out there, if it really takes all that effort to find said servers, then the game clearly is dying

02/13/2015 1:34 am
garretloter
I personally do feel that Mine craft is dying. The reason I believe this is because of its numbers.. The numbers don't lie. 2 years ago there were 150 million people who played. In just two years it has collapsed and no even at 100 million. It is a sad state of affairs.
02/12/2015 8:53 pm
Level 48 : Master Artist
janidorr
If you don't like depressing posts, don't read this one. Thanks.

Personally, I feel that it's dying. My friends and I have been on numerous servers where three main things that bring down our experience happen:

1. Staff
2. OP Donation Perks (outlawed, but still out there)
3. Hackers/Hacked Client Users

While people claim that there are still those "gem" servers out there, if it really takes all that effort to find said servers, then the game clearly is dying. The community is still strong, but getting more and more toxic in many areas. It is evolving from having fun to server ads.

tbh, I haven't played MC in so long due to it. Still fun to play I guess, but it's nevertheless dying.
02/12/2015 9:27 am
illdeletethis
enderkevin13New Block In 1.9, Packed Dirt. Meant For Decoration Obviously.

yes, decoration is an obvious use for dirt
02/12/2015 9:12 am
Level 37 : Artisan Architect
Schwerpunkt_
Foxy
There are many people like me who play single player rather than multiplayer so things like the *DELAY* of the bukkit update don't affect us too much.

HaydenjamesBukkit and spiggot has not died, mojang owns it now. Now, idc what microsoft adds as long as they don't disapprove mods/maps/and other cool stuff.

http://dl.bukkit.org/downloads/bukkit/
Bukkit isn't just taking a long time to update, it has died all together. Not too sure about spiggot though, as I dont use it
02/12/2015 9:07 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
enderkevin13
Well, They Have Announced A New Block In 1.9, Which Is Called Packed Dirt. It's 15/16 Pixels High And Meant For Decoration Obviously. A Piece Of Info I Wanted To Share.
02/12/2015 9:15 am
Schwerpunkt_
Why did you capitalize every word?
02/12/2015 8:05 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Mage
TuMatar
Minecraft isn't dying, in fact, its growing faster than ever now. Jeb isnt, and hasn't been killing minecraft. Notch laid the foundation of this great structure called Minecraft, and now Jeb has to build it up. Jeb introduced the wither. Jeb allowed us to make redstone more complex, and more compact than it ever has been. And for those who hate 1.8 because of the modded features, I was like you when it first came out. I hated armor stands. I might as well have been playing modded minecraft. But, now that I have seen what incredible things have been accomplished through them, I am for them. Microsoft will far from ruin minecraft. In fact, I believe it will improve it. It is a company 500 times bigger than mojang. It has tons of money, and much more resources than mojang did. Look at the great job mojang did with there resources. Imagine what they can do with Microsoft's. Oh, and for the nostalgic people that think beta was the best, and that jeb ruined minecraft. Stop and think. Jeb created a new launcher, which will ALLOW you to go back to beta. Quit yo' whining.
02/12/2015 9:09 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
enderkevin13
You Can Say That Again.
02/11/2015 3:53 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Pirate
LCD75
It's not dead, Only thing is it set such a high record in terms of "booms" in the internet, It can barely top itself. Sorta like what happened with Call Of Duty.
02/11/2015 3:50 pm
Level 25 : Expert Network
SunFlowerBloom
Um, NO. Microsoft invented the hologram, and in the ad it had a guy turned his living room into MINECRAFT, MINECRAFT is gonna be awesome...
02/13/2015 1:56 am
Level 25 : Expert Zombie
Halorules555
Nope, the Hologram was invented by the Japanese.

I would just like to point out that just because statistics show that the amount of people who play Minecraft is decreasing doesn't mean it's dying. This happens all the time in the world of business. Some years you make a lot of money, some you don't.
02/11/2015 3:38 pm
Level 62 : High Grandmaster Cyborg
Knightsundere
It's not dead by any means, it just hasn't made any new advancements or set off anything revolutionary like it did in the beginning. Compared to the massive bang that it was in 2010-2012 (give or take), the lull it's dropped into right now makes it seem as though, yes, it's dead. To add on, the majority of people playing it right now are too young to make any kind of advancement community-wise. They just don't have the skills or experience necessary to do so.

You think Minecraft is dead, check out the Terraria forums.
02/11/2015 3:14 pm
Level 1 : New Crafter
Braven10
It's slowly but surely dying, I'm sure. But I think it's a long way from dead. If Mojang/Microsoft decides to add a nice new update they can reverse the whole thing.

Seeing how Bukkit-replacement projects like Glowstone and Sponge work out will also affect the matter
02/11/2015 1:38 pm
Level 12 : Journeyman Modder
GamerAuthority
I thought Minecraft was already dead.

I barely play now and these forums are the only reason I'm still around.
Also, now that Bukkit is dead, I don't think I plan on coming back any time soon.

Maybe spigot will bring me back but I'll come back when spigot makes it easier to create 1.8 servers.
02/11/2015 1:25 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Explorer
SirSamFFF
these kind of posts have been here in PMC like a million times......
02/11/2015 12:11 pm
illdeletethis
TacoLover22Is Minecraft dying?
Minecraft first started out as a community filled with passion, creativity and feelings of accomplishment. Now, many tools, programs and websites are out there that interact with Minecraft, rather than players interacting with the game it self. What do I mean by this?

Skinning programs, for example. The times where players would customize there own player appearance without the help of any templates, pre-built skins or colours. It would be their own creation. Now, it's hard to distinguish what has been creatively produced without any tools. MCEdit is another good example.

what is the issue with having advanced tools?
what counts in the end is what you make of them
and yes, should a tool remove a barrier for getting good results to a large number of people then more people will get good results, but that translates into more quality skins and builds overall, which is a good thing, but for those wanting to go the extra way there will always be ways of improving beyond even a rising level of average quality
for things to be good they still need to be creatively produced, regardless of the tools at your disposal. the creativity is not in having to find which pixel of the skinfile will be displayed where, but in expressing your idea in the skin
for me gimp and creative mode are enough for creating skins and builds, but why would i want to stop others from expressing their ideas if those tools are not enough for them, or if they have ideas that would take ages to do with those tools but can be done with the same result in a reasonable time with better tools?
02/11/2015 11:45 am
Level 43 : Master Creeper
Dr_Steve
It kinda is
02/11/2015 11:12 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Explorer
GamingSensation
I don't think Minecraft is dying. I hear they are coming out with a Minecraft 2. In my opinion, they could just update, but they are coming out with a 2nd one, I'm pretty sure. Maybe that's why our current MC is going downhill.
02/11/2015 11:08 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Warrior
NHRoccodog
I highly doubt minecraft will die soon. In fact, people have calculated that minecraft will last for the next 90 years. idk if thats true though, but regardless, i highly doubt minecraft will die anytime soon. i do however hate how notch sold minecraft to microsoft, but thats just my opinion. the only reason i dont like that is because i just downright hate microsoft, i despise microsoft.
02/11/2015 10:55 am
Level 17 : Journeyman Pony
_scrunch
Is Minecraft dying?

Personally I believe it is growing, but not in the way we expected it too.
Minecraft first started out as a community filled with passion, creativity and feelings of accomplishment. Now, many tools, programs and websites are out there that interact with Minecraft, rather than players interacting with the game it self. What do I mean by this?

Skinning programs, for example. The times where players would customize there own player appearance without the help of any templates, pre-built skins or colours. It would be their own creation. Now, it's hard to distinguish what has been creatively produced without any tools. MCEdit is another good example.

So, my opinion, is Minecraft dying? No, it's just growing apart.
02/11/2015 11:00 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Pixel Puncher
Pixelmon-Craft
I feel you.
02/11/2015 10:42 am
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
[Minecraft is dying thread no. #1028162577414]

[omgfug microsoft thread no. #9437861418]
02/11/2015 10:22 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Explorer
0wendaman
I would have said the community is GROWING because people make mods McJackson.
01/17/2015 2:47 pm
Level 51 : Grandmaster Ladybug
McJackson3180
The game isn't dying but the community is dying due to all the script kiddies.
01/17/2015 2:35 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Ranger
EsseoS
I have seen like 50 of this question on 50 different things! 1. Be original.

2. Mojang took away the EULA, Blame wolfyy or something for spigot and bukkit stuff. Mojang apparently claimed the rights to bukkit when they both signed a contract for bukkit to work with and support minecraft but bukkit has never known about it. So I think bukkit people tried to leave and mojang is taking ownership of it and hiring people themselves. 3. Idk why spigot went down but I am pretty sure it's for safety reasons so they don't get caught in the middle of the whole thing between Mojang and Bukkit.
4. MICROSOFT DOES NOT OWN MINECRAFT! Microsoft Bought Mojang, which Mojang is now a part of Microsoft, and mojang STILL RUNS, MAKES, AND CODES MINECRAFT. I can see MC PC updates and stuff coming to a halt though for the reason that since Microsoft owns Mojang, they can tell Mojang when to or when not to work on a project. So maybe like a 5% chance of Xbox version getting more better than PC, and PS3 version being scrapped.
01/17/2015 1:49 pm
Level 33 : Artisan Creeper Hugger
Friendly Ghost
It's getting bigger
01/17/2015 1:44 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Explorer
0wendaman
Microsoft will probably (and if they are smart enough, will) leave MC to Mojang.
If they try to tamper with MineCraft directly, it will most likely die.

Is it really a big deal though? There are plenty good games out there.
01/17/2015 5:23 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Crafter
Sammaxbr
Look at this

https://minecraft.net/stats

No, MC isn't dying.
01/17/2015 4:49 am
Halorules555
thenubslayer2000
halorules555With more and more people getting interested everyday and expanding the Minecraft population? Nope!.

The minecraft sales peaked in 2012. it is slowly declining, which is why it is dying.

There are factors that contribute to the health of Minecraft. It's why I said More people are getting interested instead of buying. There are a a lot of kids out there that can't afford it with there own money. Minecraft is only five years old while other games have been around for decades and still seem to be popular.
01/17/2015 4:42 am
Level 21 : Expert Ninja
zoecGxhbmV0bWluZWNyYWZ0
halorules555With more and more people getting interested everyday and expanding the Minecraft population? Nope!.

The minecraft sales peaked in 2012. it is slowly declining, which is why it is dying.
01/17/2015 4:39 am
Halorules555
With more and more people getting interested everyday and expanding the Minecraft population? Nope!

And to all the people who haven't actually reasoned with them selves, Microsoft won't screw it up! Why would they add things like micro-transactions? Because that will surely make get them a bigger profit... This has been explained so many FREAKIN TIMES!!! But people still choose to not be logical.
01/17/2015 4:24 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Network
Terrobility
Minecraft started dying when Notch left. He knows his game best, and had many ideas for Minecraft. Now a community of ignorant 11 year olds (90% of them) have taken over. The EULA is fine for proper server owners. It only really affects noob kids running their own server, otherwise you can sort it out easily.

We all know Microsoft for making $$$. This game is another opportunity for them to make their cash. I fear they will ruin such a good game by adding micro transactions, purchasable updates and more, just like what happened to Runescape ages ago. Even if we don't buy these things if they do choose to add them, the vast majority will still do it even though they don't agree; Microsoft knows they can do this and we will still choose to pay.
01/17/2015 3:54 am
Level 14 : Journeyman Engineer
Editandrew
Yeah, I don't think MC is dying... Why would they spend 2.500.000.000, just to ruin the game? Furthermore, Minecrafts community is still here... That's where we are now!
02/12/2015 9:23 am
Schwerpunkt_
I think everyone gets the wrong idea when people say that microsoft will ruin minecraft. I am pretty sure those people mean they will ruin it, but not intentionally. I personally think microsoft will do something screwed up to get more money, but not necessarily something that will destroy minecraft as a whole
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome