The Official Guide to Planet Minecraft

CalPal_'s Avatar CalPal_8/9/15 11:59 pm history
1 emeralds 2.7k 24
11/28/2015 7:23 pm
CalPal_'s Avatar CalPal_
Hello one, hello all.

Welcome to the new, improved, and ever-expanding Official Site Guide, now being maintained and managed by myself, Cal (formerly known as MGB).

As it currently stands, this guide includes info about a wide variety of topics of the site, which all fall under three categories, Site, Forums, and Chat.

I am still in the process of importing the original guide into this one. As I do not have access to the original BBCode, this is a time consuming process. Thanks for you patience!

I hope you find this useful!

Thanks,

Cal & The Crew

Table of Contents:

Site

Forums

Chat

Changelog/Credit
CalPal_
Level 38 : Artisan Cake

Create an account or sign in to comment.

11/28/2015 7:23 pm
CalPal_
The old site guide has now been fully imported. Also, some new stuff from Zitzabis.
11/25/2015 12:52 am
CalPal_
Info on name changes added, more coming soon. Keep an eye out.

Thanks for reading this guys, it means a lot.

Cal
11/08/2015 3:46 pm
CalPal_
Just a little update on the state of this, this has been officially "on hold" for a bit now, in case you couldn't tell. College business and all of that.

However, I shall soon start working on this a bit, when I find time.

Up soon, cleaning up what I already have and covering the new name change feature. Any suggestions on what to do from there?

Thanks!
08/12/2015 5:42 pm
CalPal_
Just a little update for everybody, there probably won't be many (or any at all) updates to this for a few days (probably till about Sunday), as I'm packing up and will be leaving for/moving into college.

I'd like to thank everybody for their support so far, this has been great! Remember, I'm still looking for suggestions as to what I can add.

Also, if you would like to contribute something to the guide, shoot me a PM or Skype message. I'll see what we can do.
08/10/2015 4:22 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Blob
Speedy
Maybe you can touch on the greenlight process for texture packs and mods? Otherwise, great tutorial, should be a sticky. didn't see chron stickied

edit:
Click to reveal

maybe a thing on this sidebar?
also, a tutorial on the banner editor?

Don't mind me, just throwing out ideas
08/10/2015 6:26 pm
CalPal_
Thanks for the kind words and ideas!

I was planning on hitting up the banner editor, most likely tonight. Before I were to do something like the greenlight process, I'd have to look a bit more into it. I like to be informed on the topics I'm trying to teach others about

But hey, great ideas, thanks again!
08/10/2015 1:05 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Miner
anonpmc1231920
[deleted]
08/10/2015 4:14 pm
CalPal_
Yeah, it's that way for me as well. However, I would think that for the average user, the submission side is the "main" site and the part where they would spend most of their time.
08/10/2015 12:04 pm
Level 39 : Artisan Dolphin
Masq
It's about time someone made an updated, and active site guide - thanks dude

Perhaps when you near the near the end of the guide, you could do a small section on the "tips and tricks" of PMC where you can discuss the nitty gritty of the site:
- how to advertise in chat more successfully
- saving submissions/forum threads in case the site goes down
etc etc
08/10/2015 11:09 am
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
Stickied. Good luck, bro!
08/10/2015 11:26 am
CalPal_

Attention random people:

I would love suggestions as to what I could add next. I have Collections finished, but would prefer to update it in chunks of two sections or more.
Thanks for the help!
08/10/2015 10:52 am
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
We've been needing a site guide for a while now.
08/10/2015 10:14 pm
Level 43 : Master Creeper
Dr_Steve
And something newer than this
08/10/2015 10:48 am
Level 49 : Master Creeper Hugger
Cookiesz
Awesome, thanks!
08/10/2015 10:44 am
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
very nice, thank you crossfit
08/10/2015 7:54 am
Level 68 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Ludicrous
Nice <3
08/10/2015 1:18 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Mage
ZachDevv
This will surely help out new members!
We can finally link to this tutorial/tour instead of the rules with a generic
"Make sure to read the rules" message
08/10/2015 9:51 am
CalPal_
LudicrousNice <3

Thanks peoples <3

Also, whew, new stuff added errybody.
08/10/2015 1:17 am
CalPal_
VaiNice

Thank you, kind sir.
08/10/2015 12:11 am
CalPal_
Reserved for the future.
08/10/2015 12:01 am
CalPal_
Changelog and Credit

Current Guide Word Count: 6231 words

New Guide Project
Changelog:

08/10/15, 12 am exactly: The guide launched, in version INFDEV 1_0. It contains the “Homepage,” “Rules,” and “Creating a Submission” instructional sections. Also contains lame attempts at humor, a large amount of grammatical errors and a neigh-on-useless Table Of Contents!

8/10/15, 1:12 am, on the dot: Uploaded version INFDEV 1_2 of the guide, containing the new “Experience” and “Profile Page” sections. Removed a singular grammar mistake. I used their instead of there. Why do I even try to write things.

11/25/15, 12:50 am, on the dot: Uploaded version INFDEV 1_5 of the guide, containing info on Name Changes. I'm back. Woo!

11/28/15, 7:24 PM Imported the whole of the old site guide (so the forum and chat sections). I may rewrite these at some time or another. Zitz wrote some new things. Rearranged the entire post. Woot.

Credit:

Chron: Proofreading, suggesting topics

Snowy: Major help with importing old guide, stats on EXP

Paril: 1am troubleshooting

Zitzabis: Contributing writer

Thanks to coffee for powering my life.

And finally, a big shoutout to Crossfit for motivating me to never move from my chair out of pure terror.

Original Guide
Credit: Happykeystv, ETMinecraft, and Paril

Changelog:
[+] Once again, I keep forgetting to update this. I'm close to finishing chat, so if anybody has things to add, please do so. Added like 5 areas. [7/17/2014]
[+] Ok fixed this BBcode error, and did several of chat stuff. Will finish chat section as soon as possible. [5/25/2014]
[+] Totally haven't been updating this part. Added a lot more to forum section (as it is most important) [3/15/2014]
[+] Separated the sections, made it a bit neater [7/8/2013]
[+] Finished "Forums, Sub-Forums, Threads, and Replies" and "Posting a Thread" [7/8/2013]
[+] Finished chat section [7/7/2013]

Original Full Post
08/10/2015 12:01 am
CalPal_
Chat

Main credit: DAP.Full credit in Credits post.

(not yet fully imported)

Posting a Message:
Click to reveal

Reporting:
Click to reveal
If you notice a member breaking the rules, instead of verbally reporting, just click the report button on the rule-breaking message:

(image credit to ETminecraft for this beautiful picture)

The message will then get a red flag to the very left that moderators are able to notice easily, and then deal with the issue:

The system will let you know that you report the message with a kind message:

Inserting URLs with Custom Messages:
Click to reveal
To do this, simply click this button:

Then just insert the link you wish to point to, click OK, then put in your custom message. Done! Now you look cool while advertising.

Changing Rooms:
Click to reveal
If you ever need to change the discussion or want to talk about servers, skinning, or anything of the sort, you might need to change the room you are currently in! Servers always need to be discussed in the Server Hall, but the rest are allowed to be discussed in General Discussion.

To change rooms, simply click this tab:

Once the rooms load, simply click the room you are interested in joining, and click the join button:

That's it! Now you may continue the discussion freely.

Announcements:
Click to reveal
In chat, almost all the time, you'll see this odd message in front of a yellow background. What's this monstrosity you ask? Well, that is the announcement bar.

It is very recommended to look up and cringe at the announcement, just in case there is something important to see on there.

Whispering:
Click to reveal
Occasionally, you'll want to say something super secret to another member (or mod), but you can't just reveal your secret knowledge to everybody in the chat. What do? Well, you can whisper! To whisper, simply click that weird blue thingy that looks like this (), then click whisper (), and then click the user you want to whisper to! It's as easy as that.

If you want to continue a conversation, our pro chat allows you to quick-choose the same member you've messaged before, or you can just click the mail icon next to their name, allowing you to have a nice personal convo with them. Secrets are not spilled!

Tab Name Completion:
Click to reveal
Sometimes, it is hard to type out a whole name. To quicken things up, we have a tab name completion system. What this is is when you begin typing a name of a user in chat, by hitting the "Tab" key, it will finish the name for you. This benefits you as it notifies them with a beautiful highlight, so they'll surely see your message. To do this, first begin typing somebody's name (my example will be with _FoxHound_):

Then, hit the "Tab" key:

Tada! Now you can type names with relative ease!
Example:

Highlights:
Click to reveal
You may or may not have noticed that whenever somebody sends a message with your exact name, it highlights it for you, so you can see it and respond if you please. But sometimes, you go by a nickname (I go by DAP pretty often, because DaAwesomePwner takes a while to type out), and you want that name to be highlighted too. Well, there's an easy to way to fix this. First, go to the settings tab:

Then, scroll all the way down until you see this:

Then just type in the word you want highlighted, and then click "+". Done!

GIF:

Settings:
Click to reveal
You might've noticed that there is a settings tab on the top. This tab can help you customize the chat to fit your needs. I'll go in-depth with each setting to help you make the chat to the way you are most comfortable with.

Max Number of Messages
How many messages the chat should hold, until it stops displaying them (so for 200, you can only ever have 200 messages displayed at once, and stops when you scroll up higher than 200).

Ask before Visiting Outside Links
When somebody puts a link that is not to PlanetMinecraft on the chat, then the chat will ask you if you are sure that you want to visit this link. Uncheck if you are cool with being led to other websites.

Desktop Notifications
This is for browsers that allow desktop notifications (Firefox, etc). What this is, is when you are not on the tab or window where the chat is located, then you'll get a small popup on the bottom right of your screen whenever somebody mentions your username.

Reset Destination
Usually, when you whisper a message, the chat resets the destination, so the next message you type will go into the general Lobby area. Unchecking this makes it so you'll stay whispering to somebody until you manually change to the Lobby chat yourself (a bit hard to explain, but whisper to somebody with this unchecked, and you'll understand).

Flat Coloring
Brightens the background? Not sure about this, if somebody could tell me, that'd be great.

Volume of Sound Effects
Pretty self-explanatory, just how loud the sounds should be.

All these next ones are just what sounds should be played when something happens. The bottom part is explained under the section "highlighting"

Friends:
Click to reveal
Our PMC chat has a friend system; what this friend system does, is it highlights your friend's name, and gives you a personal message whenever they log into the chat. This is helpful to keep track of your friends that talk or enter chat, because sometimes the chat can be quite busy.

To add somebody as a friend, just right-click their name either in the chat, or on the user bar at the side, and click "Add as Friend". Tada! You're friends!
GIF:

User Filters:
Click to reveal
Ever wanted a different way to filter users in the chat? Well, here's a way how.
Simply click one of these buttons at the top, and change the way you see users on the chat!

People in Current Room
To filter it this way, just click the house, and boom! you're done.

People in All Rooms
Just click the 3 people, and you've got all users in chat on the user list! Users in a different room have the name of the room next to them, as shown here:

Only Friends
To list only your friends in the user list, just click the 3 green orbs, and it's done! People with heads show that they are online, while people with a silhouette are offline. Example here (only reason I am friends with Snowy is because I had to for one of the examples, sorry Snowy):

User Actions:
Click to reveal
In the chat, you can show yourself doing an action. This is where the colon between your username and message is gone, and your text is italicized. This shows that you are doing an action, rather than talking.
To do so, just do "/me insertaction here", and the chat will display it as an action. An example is here:

Infractions:
Click to reveal
You may be wondering what an infraction is. Well, that is a warning. Once you rack up three, you get a one day ban, and it keeps going up after that. You may read more about infractions here: http://www.planetminecraft.com/rules/#c ... guidelines

To check your own infractions, you may click the golden shield (i.imgur.com/3vQVMnV.png) and you may view all infractions given to you, why they were given, and who they were given by. That's about it.

Logs:
Click to reveal
Logs are PMC's way of telling who said/did what, and at what time. PMC allows users to check their own logs, to help them remind what they said or did, and at what time. This is mainly used for checking when you advertised, so you don't end up getting an infraction for breaking the "one ad every 15 minutes" rule.
To check your logs, just click this button (), and you'll see a list of your messages/actions.
08/10/2015 12:00 am
CalPal_
Forum

Main credit: DAP.Full credit in Credits post.

Forums, Sub-Forums, Threads, and Replies:
Click to reveal
This is all really simple. Forums and sub-forums are like sections and sections within sections, to channel related topics together. Threads are topics in sub-forums, and are related to that sub-forum. Replies are comments, answers, etc. on that topic, where people give opinions, help people out, etc.

Forum:

Sub-Forum:

Thread:

Reply:

Posting a Thread:
Click to reveal
Posting a thread is pretty easy:

1. First, write the topic here. This is what the thread will be about.

2. Write about the thread or whatever the topic of the thread is here. If it's a problem, be descriptive.

3. This is BBCode. You can format the thread with fonts, bolding, images, etc. This can make your thread neater if it's longer.

4. Smilies are emoticons that can be used in the thread to show feelings, reactions, etc.

5. These are some options you can enable/disable in the thread:
  • Disable BBCode: This is if you don't want BBCode on the thread, so [.b][./b] (when correctly used) just shows up like that, instead of the sentence you plug it in actually being bolded.
  • Disable Smilies: This is to stop things like ;.) (no .) turning into . Helpful if you are writing something with no smilies, and then in the middle of the sentence, a smilie appears because you used the code for it.
  • Do not automatically parse URLs: It is recommended to keep this un-checked, but what this does, is changes a link that is clickable, http://www.planetminecraft.com, to a link that is un-clickable, forcing you to copy and paste the URL into your address bar.
  • Attach a Signature: This is automatically checked (can be edited in the User CP, which will be explained later) when you are posting a reply or a thread. This is to enable the showing of your signature after your post, on a seperate line.
  • Notify me when a reply is posted: I've not used this too much (maybe somebody could confirm), but I think this sends an email to you when a reply is posted on your thread; good for wanting to reply fast when somebody replies, instead of having to keep refreshing.

6. These buttons are for either saving your thread, to actually posting it:
  • Save: This saves your thread as a draft, which will be viewable (and postable) in your User CP.
  • Preview: This allows you to preview what your thread would look like when you post it. This enables the BBCode, images, etc. allowing you to see what other people will see.
  • Submit: This actually posts the thread, allowing other people to view and reply.

7. This is poll options, in-case you want to post a poll for people to vote in. Here is a picture with the options described:

• Poll Question: This is the question that people will see on the poll view.
  • Poll Options: This is the different things people can vote for. Put up to 10 options here people can choose.
  • Options per User: This is how many different poll items users can select.
  • Run Poll for: This is to make the poll disappear in a certain amount of days - an expiration date if you will. The poll will still stay there, but nobody will be able to vote. This is good for viewing opinions of people in a small time period. 0 is the default, and that allows it to stay there forever. And ever.
  • Allow Re-Voting: This allows user to change their vote(s) to something else, in-case they have a random opinion change or something.

That is all the options for a thread, and once you decide what you will do on all of them, preview first (recommended), and then once it seems there is no typos or errors, then Submit it

Posting a Reply:
Click to reveal

The "Reply" area is found after the last post on the thread - so pretty much just scroll down all the way to find a white box. Here are what the numbers mean:

1. Simply type the words for your reply here. Whatever you want users to see that YOU said, jot it down here.
2. This is the BBCode area, where you can format your post like fonts changes (bold, italic), to quoting, to making a list. All of what this means will be explained in the next spoiler.
3. These are the smilies which you can use to enhance (but not spam) your post. It pretty much just adds more of your emotions to the post.
4. These are some options you can enable/disable in the reply:
  • Disable BBCode: This is if you don't want BBCode on the thread, so [.b][./b] (when correctly used) just shows up like that, instead of the sentence you plug it in actually being bolded.
  • Disable Smilies: This is to stop things like ;.) (no .) turning into . Helpful if you are writing something with no smilies, and then in the middle of the sentence, a smilie appears because you used the code for it.
  • Do not automatically parse URLs: It is recommended to keep this un-checked, but what this does, is changes a link that is clickable, http://www.planetminecraft.com, to a link that is un-clickable, forcing you to copy and paste the URL into your address bar.
  • Attach a Signature: This is automatically checked (can be edited in the User CP, which will be explained later) when you are posting a reply or a thread. This is to enable the showing of your signature after your post, on a seperate line.
  • Notify me when a reply is posted: I've not used this too much (maybe somebody could confirm), but I think this sends an email to you when a reply is posted on your thread; good for wanting to reply fast when somebody replies, instead of having to keep refreshing.

• Preview: Preview allows you to preview your post before posting, and allows you to see what others and you will see.
  • Submit: This actually posts your reply for the whole world to see. Make sure you previewed before posting

Remember that everybody (registered or not) will be able to see your post, so remember to think twice before posting!

BBCode:
[spoiler]BBCode is very important when creating a long thread or just a reply - it enhances and formats your post to make it more professional, and readable. Here are each of the options for BBCode (how to use them/demonstrations will be after explanation):
[simg]gyazo.com/b42cd776088ecf9b615b92003370f729.png[/simg]

Here is the format for the list:
[i]Name of BBCode (BBCode Symbol):[/i]

[list][*][b]Bold (B):[/b] This makes the highlighted portion of text bolded, creating a more blackened text.
[*][b]Italic (I):[/b] This makes your text slanted, making it come out a bit.
[*][b]Underlined (U):[/b] This makes your text underlined, usually used for important areas of text.
[*][b]Quote:[/b] You can use this to make a area of text look like a quote. There is also an option on the thread on each reply that allows you to quote that person's reply.
[*][b]Code:[/b] This allows a small area of text to be represented as code. This means BBCode or smilies won't work, and is good for demonstrating the BBCode for something to somebody, or raw code.
[*][b]List:[/b] This allows you to create a list of things, like what I am currently doing now. If you use the bullet code with this, it will make bullet points
[*][b]List=:[/b] This makes it so you can change from having bullet points, to having numbers or letters.
[*][b]Bullets ([ * ]):[/b] You can use this instead of actually typing out the [ * ] thing, and is used to create a list as said above. It just adds the bullet to the lists.
[*][b]Image (IMG):[/b] This allows for an image to be shown in a reply, instead of somebody having to travel to the link. You need to have the direct image link (a link ending with .jpg, .png, etc.) to be able to do this.
[*][b]URL:[/b] This allows a URL to be clickable, making it so people don't have to highlight, copy, and paste the link into their address bar. Generally, this happens automatically though.
[*][b]Font Size (Normal):[/b] You can change the font size of a highlighted area of text, making it pop out more to a reader.
[*][b]Text Color (Font Colour):[/b] This changes what color the highlighted text area will be.
[*][b]Center:[/b] This allows a highlighted text area to be centered, making it so the text area will be in the exact center width-wise.
[*][b]HR (I think it stands for horizontal rule):[/b] Basically creates a line across the reply. Used for creating sections, and making it easier to read.
[*][b]Sliced (S):[/b] This creates text that is cut in half.
[*][b]Small Image (SIMG):[/b] This has the same purpose of Image (IMG), but if the image is too big, and gets cut because of it, use this, and the site will scale it down to the size of the reply area, making it so users can see it.
[*][b]Spoiler:[/b] This is a simple way to hide text that you can easily see by clicking it. Used for either making things neater, or maybe hiding a spoiler like a movie spoiler, answers for something, etc. that people can choose to see or not.
[*][b]YouTube (YT):[/b] This makes it so you can embed YouTube videos in your reply. Pretty much makes it so you can play the video without leaving the site.[/spoiler]

[b]Reporting:[/b]
[spoiler]You can use the [simg]i.imgur.com/Me9Bmf2.png[/simg] button to report posts/threads that are breaking the rules of the forums listed here: [url]www.planetminecraft.com/rules/[/url]

Reporting is simple; if you find a post/thread that is not complying to the rules, then you can click the report button to report it to forums mods that are ready to take of the problem.

Once you report the rule-breaking thread or post, then you are done, and the forum mods will take it from there.

You can receive two different types of replies from a report:
1. Closed: When a forum mod closes a report, that means that the report was valid, and you have helped clean the PMC community successfully.
2. Deleted: When a forum mod deletes a report, that means that the report was invalid. This doesn't mean you are in trouble (unless you purposefully reported incorrectly), but you should check the rules again.[/spoiler]

[b]Quoting:[/b]
[spoiler]Quoting can be used to either specifically reply to a post/group of posts, or to show proof that a post existed.

To quote a post, simply click the [simg]i.imgur.com/P8ZLBmr.png[/simg] button on the post, and it will automatically redirect you to a page where you can type your reply underneath the post you quoted. The quote button is very magical, as to where it automatically quotes all posts that were quoted in the specific post you quoted (up to three). That was a mouthful![/spoiler]

[b]Signatures:[/b]
[spoiler]A forum signature is either a piece of text and/or images that is automatically added at the end of every post you make (seperated by a divider). This is a good resource for multiple things.

[simg]i.imgur.com/Muyv65C.png[/simg]

Read the [url=www.planetminecraft.com/rules/]rules[/url] for the full list of what you may or may not put in your signature.[/spoiler]

[b]Forum Profile:[/b]
[spoiler]Your forum profile is another profile besides your site profile that you may access via the forum settings.

[simg]i.imgur.com/IZR2ZCI.png[/simg]
(some things were blacked out as they are not on the user forum profile)

In this profile, you may put different social network and contact info for all to view. You can also change what is said on the side of your posts, underneath your avatar.

[simg]i.imgur.com/TOVlcFC.png[/simg]

Your "says", favorite server, Minecraft username, website, and location will be displayed on the side of your posts.

[simg]i.imgur.com/3rO1ws9.png[/simg][/spoiler]
08/10/2015 12:00 am
CalPal_
Site

I've decided to split the Site section into larger "blocks" of topics, as there's much more to cover.

The Most Basic of Info

Rules
One of the most important parts of posting on the Site portion of PMC is knowing the rules. The rules can be found under the “Community”tab of the main default navbar.

Once you’re at the rule page, you’ll see this!

This is where the rules themselves are contained! All the actual rule content is on the left (1) and there’s a handy Table of Contents on the right (2) which allows you to jump to any specific place in the rules that you so please (such as, for example, Forums). Once you’re all read up on these, you’re ready to start your PMC Journey!

The Homepage!

Behold, the glorious Homepage! This is the center of almost all the action that happens around here and as you can see, there’s a lot going on.

1: This is the Popular Reel, or the Pop Reel as it’s called by most. It features the current popular submissions, two from each submission based section (spare servers). Many consider having a submission on the Popular Reel to be one of the best things you can accomplish here on PMC. It also can contain information about contests and other large going-ons around the site!

2: This is the Latest Minecraft Submissions section, it features many useful things such as new submissions from the members you’re subscribed to, your most recent favorites, your most recent submissions, and the very newest submissions from the different sections (if you scroll down a bit more, that is).

3: This is the Site Forum Activity section! It’s one of the more straightforward things on the homepage, it simply lists recent forum posts.

4: This section, Site New & Events, contains posts from the official PMC member profile. These are usually very important announcements and the like.

5: This is the search bar, which you can use to find certain submissions or members on the site.

6: This is the Navigation bar, or the Navbar. It can be used to easily reach different parts of the site, such as submission sections, the forums, or chat. It’s even completely customizable (more on this later).

7: This is the Experience Bar, which keeps track of how much EXP you’ve earned and how much you have left to go until you level up! You earn EXP through posting submissions, more on that later as well.

8: This is your link to your private messages, along with a handy notification about how many you have unread. Private messages is usually the easiest way to communicate with other members on site. More on this later.

9: This is where you receive notifications when you get subbed to and receive diamonds, comments and favorites from other users on your submissions.

10: These are both links to your user profile. Your user profile is your main presence on the site, and contains things such as your submissions. More on this later.

11: This links you to your account settings, where you can do important stuff, such as set your forum signature and gain an avatar in chat!

12: This handy little X logs you out. Use it wisely.

The Mighty Profile Page

Behold, the mighty profile page. Your main presence on this grand website. It can be accessed from the two links that are in the upper right corner at all times (you know, the ones that just say your username). You can also access it by navigating your web browser of choice to http://www.planetminecraft.com/member/*yourusername*.

Here’s a summary of what it contains.

1: This handy area contains general information about you, including your profile pic, and stats about you as a member! Also, it contains the glorious “Subscribe” button. Pretty important, if you want people to consistently look at your content.

2: This box contains thing all set by you. It can contain various usernames for different games and gaming platforms, as well as links to social medias, Steam, and Skype. It also contains your About Me, a completely customizable place to express yourself. All of this section is editable under your account settings, which I’m sure will be covered in short order.

3: These tabs contain more submissions and more interesting info about yourself, such as who you are subscribed to and who is subscribed to you.

4: Arguably the most important part of your profile page, this section contains all of your submissions to the various sections of the site. Pretty straightforward, if I do say so myself.

Changing your Avatar
So you want to change your avatar, ey? It’s quite a simple task, really. Allow me to walk you through it. First we’re gonna need to go into your account settings. To do this, you’re gonna wanna hit the “Account” link that will always be in the upper left corner. Or you could just click this link.

You’ll be led to a page that looks quite similar as this. However, this is not the page we’re after. Go ahead and press the button the arrows are pointing too. Or the Change Avatar one. Or the Change Class one. It doesn’t matter which you press, they all lead to the exact same place anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/ne8sOe1.png

Here is where you shall be led. Click on this button, and you’ll get some handy stuff that will let you upload the picture of your choice for your avatar! Make sure to hit save in the upper right corner, and kapow, you have a new avatar!

Name. Changes.
Easily one of the more interesting and anticipated features on the site, we finally have the ability to change our own names. And luckily, the process to do so is quite simple!

First off, we just need to navigate to the Profile editing page, which you can either fine by clicking this link or by going to the "Account" tab at the top of the page and then clicking the big, blue "Edit Profile/Settings" button.

Once you're in, you'll see this.

See the tab with a big red arrow next to it? That's the one you want. Go ahead and click on it. That'll bring you to this:

Make sure to read all the stuff in the box, it's important info to know before actually changing your name. You can see your current username displayed (1). Enter the new username you want and then confirm the username in the provided boxes (2). Be sure to hit Save (3), and your transformation will be complete!

Customizing the Navigation Bar
The navbar. The main way to navigate the site. Defautly, it looks like this!

It contains several useful tabs, such as Browse and Community, which contain the majority of the site in their mighty dropdown menus. There’s also links to the largest submission based parts of the site.

If you take a look at my navbar, you will see that is completely different. That would be because the navbar can be customized to however you please. Heck, you can even drag links you want to keep track of onto it.

Customizing it is easy enough. Hold on an item on the bar, and you can drag it wheresoever you please (a little icon like this will appear when you’re moving an item around the bar: ). If you wish to remove something from the bar, hover your mouse over the items icon until a little x () appears. Click on said x, and bam, said item will disappear. As I said before, You can put just about anything from PMC onto the navbar, wether it be a forum post, a submission, or links to the different main parts of the site. Just drag and drop the link and it'll be there!

That’s about all there is to it! Go forth and customize!

Submissions and Related Things

Creating a Submission
Submissions are the lifeblood of PMC. Here’s how to submit one yourself. First off, you must navigate your way to a section page! These can be found under the “Browse” tab on the Navbar.

Go ahead and click on the section you want to post in (we’ll be using Projects for this example).
That’ll bring you to a page like this:

As you can see, it’s fairly similar to the homepage. It has a Popular Reel of just Projects, among other things such as recent posts and info about the most recent Building Contest. But all we want right now is that “Post Your Project Button!” You can find this button (or a very similar one) on every section page, such as the Blogs and Skin ones. Once you click it, you’ll be transported to the page that truly matters, the submission page.

Glorious, isn’t it. Here’s a quick walkthrough of what we have here.

1: The rules. A handy little box to remind you of the rules pertaining to the content you’re posting. Reading the detailed rules for what you’re submitting is always a good idea. You don’t want all your hard work being removed on a technicality you were unaware of, do you?

2: “Save” posts or updates your posts for all the world to see (unless you uncheck the “public live” box), cancel discards everything you’ve done or changed.

3: This tab is where you can upload images and video of the content you’re posting, it’s very important in promoting your work (and is sometimes even required by the rules).

4: This is where you set most of the info about your submission up! You set the title of your project, it’s category, and how close you are to finishing it here. You also set the body text for your submission page here, make sure to describe your post well.

If you scroll down a bit farther, you’ll find this little bit. You can give other people credit for help, tag your post, upload an MCEdit Schematic (really only applies to projects) and a download to link so people can download your project (or texture pack or mod or… you get the idea).

And there you have it. That’s the submission page! Go forth and make yourself famous or something.

Experience
As you post submissions on the site, you can begin to earn experience on your account! As you level up, you unlock new Classes which you can use around the site. Quite exciting stuff!

You can find a full list of classes you can unlock and EXP requirements for leveling here!

Here’s how you actually earn EXP here on PMC.

If you get a view, comment, or download on a submission, you gain 1 EXP.
If somebody favorites one of your submissions, you’ll gain 2 EXP.
Somebody diamonds a submission of yours? 5 EXP!

(Thanks be to Bajo for all this juicy info regarding the exact numbers of EXP received)

Collections, an overview
Collections are one of the more interesting parts of the site. They allow you to easily share groups of submissions with others.

To get started making a Collection, you must first create a collection! You can do this my accessing the “My Collections” tab, which can be found on the homepage or just about any submission page.

Here is a handy gif to show the process.

Adding things to your collection is also fairly easy.

Behold, another handy gif. Basically, you can go onto any submission and then drag the little… pokeball? into your collection. Tada! A new submission is now in the collection of your choice.

You can find your actual collection pages from the “Collections” tab on your profile.

No, not the other other Collections tab, this one. It is here that you will find a list of all of your Collections. If you click one, you are taken to the actual collection page.

It is here where you can edit it. Editing allows you to do things such as add tags, add a description, and rearrange the posts within the collection.

There you go! A basic overview of the “Collections” feature of the site. Use this knowledge well.

Reenabling a Submission
From time to time, there may be something minor (but still rule breaking) wrong with one of your submissions. Instead of deleting it, a moderator may simply disable it instead of deleting it. That means you can make the necessary changes to it without having to redo everything completely, but it is hidden from the public view. Here's how to go about getting it re-enabled.

You will see a notification when your submission is removed.

Click on the yellow star. The drop down will show you which entry was removed, who removed it, and why.

Click on the link in the notification to go to that submission. A red box will appear at the top of the submission. Read it.

Change everything you need to by using the Edit button. If you feel the action was unfair, please contact the moderator who issued it's removal. Click on the link for the moderator to review your changes.

Provided you made the correct changes, your submission will be be re-enabled. If you didn't, try again.

Intro by MGB_
Actual Content by Zitzabis!

Greenlighting
News flash everybody, if you’re a level 1 and you’re trying to upload a texture pack or mod… you may have a bit of a problem. Around here, if you have not yet reached level 2, you must go through the “Greenlighting” procedure. Basically, this means that a mod will be checking out your post before it goes public.

When you create a submission that’s either a mod or texture pack, you’ll have to be pretty careful about it if you want it to make it. For if you fail… your submission will never see the light of the general PMC populace.

Depending on what kind of submission you go about posting, you will need to fulfill certain requirements for your post to be taken seriously.

Here is a screenshot of said rules, for your convenience.

Once you have all the content you need within your submission, go ahead and save the post. You should see something about like this:

Quite simple, really! If changes are needed, make them! If not… you have successfully posted your first mod or texture pack!

General Account Features/Settings

Ignore List
Do you have someone that's bullying you, being spammy, overly clingy in messaging you or you just don't like? Try ignoring them. And if you can't ignore them, try using the ignore tool on PMC.

Please note that if someone bullying you or harassing you, please PM a moderator about it. If it's on chat, inform a Chat+ moderator. If it's on forums, inform a Forums+ moderator. If it's on the site, inform a Site moderator.
Provide clear screen captures or quotes of what they said and how it made you feel uncomfortable or how it hurt you. Thank you.

To ignore people, first go to your PMC account page found here:
http://www.planetminecraft.com/account/

On the left, you will see "General Account" and under this, listings for tools and settings you can use. Click on the My Ignore List.

Enter the EXACT username of the person you wish to block. Ensure you replicate it exactly in uppercase, lowercase and special characters.

If you made a mistake or you find that you no longer want to have that person blocked, simply unblock them by clicking on the unblock button.

More Coming Soon...
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome