The Tale of Bukkit for Minecraft 1.8

Suit_Inside's Avatar Suit_Inside12/22/14 1:54 pm
1 emeralds 378 6
12/27/2014 12:53 pm
HiddenHerO's Avatar HiddenHerO
Bukkit is not dead and will be updated for MC 1.8

The first thing that happened was Seph, in his position at the time as project leader, put out this tweet (and a corresponding forums post): ".@CraftBukkit: It's time to say goodbye - http://goo.gl/oXZY5f "

To which the response from jeb was: "Warren over at bukkit seems to have forgotten that the project was bought by Mojang over two years ago, and isn't his to discontinue. That means bukkit always had a special relationship in regards to things such as the EULA, and if Warren is bored, we need to do something. This is not a joke, we dug up the receipt to be sure."

And Dinnerbone pitched in: "I started Bukkit, I'm going to personally see it through for 1.8. Updating it now "

To which Seph replied: Yes, Mojang does own Bukkit. Them acquiring us was a condition to being hired. If Mojang want to continue Bukkit, I'm all for it

And Dinnerbone clarified the status of Bukkit: To make this clear: Mojang owns Bukkit. I'm personally going to update Bukkit to 1.8 myself. Bukkit IS NOT and WILL NOT BE the official API.

Dinnerbone and Grum quickly regained control over all the various properties of Bukkit - being granted admin on the forums (thanks Curse for your quick response!), having founder on the IRC channels transferred and getting the credentials for the Twitter account. Erik Broes tweeted: We took ownership of the Bukkit github repos & project. We'll see what happens from here.

That's essentially where we are now - Bukkit is going to be updated for Minecraft 1.8. The immediate future is clear.
Suit_Inside
Level 1 : New Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/27/2014 12:53 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
HiddenHerO
man, Bukkit is going down? Whew, kinda sad, I have been on bukkit servers for 3+years. Crazy for them to stop.
12/27/2014 12:48 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
TheMarquilandia
Too late. Project Rainbow, Sponge, and Spigot are everything now.
12/25/2014 6:17 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Modder
GamerAuthority
First off, Mojang owns the name BUKKIT not the actual Bukkit code/team.

Second, downloads for craftbukkit/bukkit are not available because it was DMCA'd by Wolvereness (a very wise decision) because he contributed a great amount of work towards Bukkit and therefore he earns the right to take it down.

Why did Wolvereness DMCA bukkit?
If you think about it, it makes sense. Imagine putting countless hours, nights, days into what you thought was an independent project but turns out in the end, you find out that the project is actually owned by a greedy company that is making millions off of your work?

My point is that Bukkit is plain out DEAD. And Dinnerbone himself said that he would work on implementing the official plugin API of Bukkit (meaning updating Bukkit to 1.8) into Minecraft... 2 years ago.

Also, the original team pretty much left the project so there's not much left of the project.

I'm really sad to say this but it's time to move on.

There are however some future projects like Sponge or Spigot. So Minecraft will probably still comeback to what it once was (maybe better) one day.
12/22/2014 2:24 pm
Level 28 : Expert Pirate
HassanPCMR
Theres the DMCA takedown but I'm not sure how that turned out, I haven't really been up-to-date on the news lately. Also by the time craftbukkit gets back on its feet (if it ever does), spigot will already have taken over.
12/22/2014 2:07 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Engineer
HHTheMelon
Yeah, Bukkit hasn't shut down because Mojang owns it. But, it says that 75% of the staff are resigning, so the community would be alot smaller than before.
12/22/2014 1:58 pm
Level 61 : High Grandmaster Hero
GarretSidzaka
who even cares because the bukkit fork of spigot is really seriously gaining traction, and a 1.8 update exists already:

http://www.spigotmc.org/threads/bukkit- ... 1-8.36598/

Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome