[TRUE or FALSE] There are too many servers

Bear_'s Avatar Bear_5/28/15 6:35 pm
1 emeralds 3.2k 54
6/1/2015 4:20 am
Bear_'s Avatar Bear_
Hello Folks',

This poll might be one out of a thousand, I know. I bet I'm not the first one to discuss this subject, but I was wondering. I'm curious and interested in your opinion:
Are there too many (minecraft) servers?

I do believe so, but just in a certain way. What I'm trying to point out is the fact that your chance of creating a successful server is very small, unless you're a famous youtuber (or someone with a reputation).
'Be creative and your server will grow' is a thing that is commonly said around the globe to encourage server owners to continue their dream: create a big community (of course, there are exceptions). But, WHAT IS being creative?

I find this question very, very hard to answer.
Is it creative to have a faction server with 'different' rank names? No, I believe not.
Is it creative to have a survival server with 'exceptional kits'? No, I believe not.
Is having an "OP" (overpowered) server creative? No, I believe not.
Is it really that creative and exceptional when your server offers Factions as well as Prison and KitPvP? No, believe me, you won't be the first who came up with this idea.

I consider it creative when a server as an exceptional story, a goal, not just raiding, griefing and starting with a -snip- load of diamonds. What also really impresses me is when a server has a clean, simple, but yet, good looking website, banner and logo.

What is my recommendation to people starting a server?
It is NOT a good idea to come up with a-lot of donator ranks. What does it add? Not much. Also, NEVER, EVER, come up with these weird prefix'es. Don't make a spawn where you get teleported from anywhere to nowhere and back either. It's just not attracting people to stay when they're confused by ranks, spawn and spam message's, I believe.

There are many, many servers out here dreaming to become successful, looking for staff, in need of builders, and mostly in need of players. Wouldn't it be great if some of the people with the same goals and dreams, co-operate IN their dreams. It wouldn't only spare money, it would as well increase chance's of getting more players on (since there are less servers) but also you won't be spending hours and hours gaming on your server in your own. Follow your dreams: But why not together?

I'd really want to hear you guys opinion on this all.

you might disagree on some (or maybe all) of the arguments I have, but keep in mind: This post is all about opinion.

"The choice is big, the creativity too small": Aren't there simply too many servers?

Greets,

]unbearable[/b]
Bear_
Level 47 : Master Bear

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/31/2015 8:05 pm
Level 1 : New Explorer
OMFGItsMisa
Many servers have their flaws, but the shittier ones, with less people, are the greatest (:
06/01/2015 4:20 am
Bear_
I agree. I'm personally just a big fan of a good community (which doesn't have to be a -snip- ton of players)
05/31/2015 3:30 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Explorer
Alexius_Volanark
So... many... pvp, factions and minigames.....

Pls stop with those, we need more Creative/Plot/Freebuilds, more Anarchy, and more cool roleplaying servers. Also maybe a COD/FPS/Zombie Apocalypse I guess server inbetween XD

Srsly, stahp the repeated servers pls m8.
05/31/2015 3:18 pm
Level 66 : High Grandmaster Senpai
Stubbs1
As most people have already said: People make servers for Money and the "I'm God!" feeling.
But honestly, I don't think there can ever be too many servers. Why is that so? Well think about it this way: You play on one server, then it gets boring because you have everything.

Now let's make Event: 1 and Event: 2

Event: 1 - Now because there is only 1000 servers and you don't like most of them you stop playing the game.

Event: 2 - There is over 1 million servers, a LOT of them are the same, but each has something different to offer.

My point is: There can never be too many servers, even though most of them are the exact same.
05/31/2015 4:37 pm
Bear_
You are right about this. I just think there' is little creativity. However, anyone would get bored when there isn't enough to choose. Thanks for you reply, it showed a different side on this question which I didn't really consider yet.
05/31/2015 3:08 pm
Level 22 : Expert Architect
MezdonianBuilds
Check your pms
05/31/2015 10:26 am
Bear_
little thing to make clear:
This post is about servers in general! IS there enough creativity within the wide range of servers?
05/30/2015 6:15 pm
Level 3 : Apprentice Miner
RealSilk
I feel all of these posts are from people who can't afford servers.
05/31/2015 10:22 am
Bear_
There's a difference between creativity and the capability of creating a server
05/31/2015 1:00 am
Level 29 : Expert Artist
nikh
These posts are mostly from people that are tired of factions.
05/30/2015 11:47 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Do please explain what strikes me as just plain a stupid argument that doesn't really say anything.
05/30/2015 6:21 pm
Level 24 : Expert Unicorn
SandyBlox
I have posted here, I own 3.
05/30/2015 2:44 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Explorer
datmoedoe
I totally agree, faction servers are everywhere. Its like a virus that wont stop spreading. Personally I find factions servers super boring, because as soon as you jump in to combat, out come the guys with their 1-hit kill weapons, and then you have lost your kit. Very quickly, you run out of kits, and then you cant really do anything, because those guys that bought their way to power, continue to kill you over and over.

There are a lot of creative servers though! Tons! I see so many RPG servers now! More and more ideas come out every day! But you know what the problem is? They all stay as ideas. Maybe a few builds happen, the server gets released, its full of bugs and the experience of the server is garbage. Most of the staff run into problems with trying to find/code a plugin for their RPG/questing servers.

I have built on a whole lot of servers, and I tend to only build on RPG servers, because they let me build freely. Every day in our skype group chats, more and more ideas and sent in, and it all goes good for a few weeks. Honestly, I usually quit these servers because its clear that they aren't moving forward. No one comes on, the skype chats become dead, and the server shuts down. Poof! there goes a creative idea, right down the drain, from laziness.

The creativity is still here - the problem is turning it into a good server.
05/30/2015 2:08 pm
Level 28 : Expert Dragon
Unlocked
There isn't enough creativity for sure. I worked on a friend's server, making custom plugins and trying to help out. I started out being creative and making funny plugins with joke commands... but he wanted to have factions and spleef and pvp arenas and boring stuff like that. Then he wanted to sell overpowered ranks for money. That's kinda when I decided that I was no longer going to be a part of it. I tried to call him out citing the minecraft eula but he didn't stop. That's kinda what I feel is wrong with a lot of servers. No creativity and OP ranks. Hypixel succeeded because he(?) had a great vision for fun plugins and knew how to program. Then all of these other server makers come thinking that they can match what hypixel did without any knowledge of how to write a simple plugin.
05/31/2015 10:23 am
Bear_
Indeed. To accomplish something you need to know the basic's and at least be prepared to put the time into something. (plugin coding for example).
05/30/2015 11:09 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
TJM44444
False there just isn't enough creativity:

I spent around 5 months working on a server, making custom plugins ect and whenever I updated it would be on the next page in around 5mins because of factions ect. In the end I had to shut it down because I could not get enough players and the only reason that most people left was because there was never anyone on to play with. I think a good idea would be to recently update you would need to spend favorite points meaning that 'bad' servers could not spam up the system. This is just my view however
05/30/2015 10:13 am
SandyBlox
ArenaSnow
SandyBlox-content removed, thank you so much PMC software-

Well what about a faction server which is also a skyblock server. It has worked out well for me so far.

Then you make it the same as many hundreds instead of thousands of servers. Not unique as there are a lot of servers that literally have everything in the book.

Please show me servers that have done such thing. I only know of 2 and only 1 that is still running..
05/30/2015 10:04 am
raidarr
SandyBlox-content removed, thank you so much PMC software-

Well what about a faction server which is also a skyblock server. It has worked out well for me so far.

Then you make it the same as many hundreds instead of thousands of servers. Not unique as there are a lot of servers that literally have everything in the book.

Jake__I feel that there is too many servers, people make servers tonstart new communitys, some grow in popularity and suffer from the bad, other little ones stay smal or private with sometimes only 2 people playing, but the fun in servers is watching them grow, gain in popularity and make alot of money, but dont forget, only little money goes tonhe owners, they pay for staff, development, ads, hosting companys, etc. They do a huge amount to minecraft. They keep people playing and without a large amount of servers, people would beguin to get bored, and eventually quit. It would happen, just face it.
So next time please think before you ask stupid qiestions like this,
think.

Please back up what makes the thread a stupid "qiestion".
05/30/2015 8:33 am
Level 6 : Apprentice Network
Jake__
I feel that there is too many servers, people make servers tonstart new communitys, some grow in popularity and suffer from the bad, other little ones stay smal or private with sometimes only 2 people playing, but the fun in servers is watching them grow, gain in popularity and make alot of money, but dont forget, only little money goes tonhe owners, they pay for staff, development, ads, hosting companys, etc. They do a huge amount to minecraft. They keep people playing and without a large amount of servers, people would beguin to get bored, and eventually quit. It would happen, just face it.
So next time please think before you ask stupid qiestions like this,
think.
05/30/2015 9:21 am
Bear_
I don't think it's a stupid question at all. It's something to think about, so thanks for your reply, it's a proof that it's not a stupid question .

Furthermore, I don't mind server's earning money at all, what I am saying is that it should NOT be a servers main goal. When you start a server, then BE PREPARED to pay for it. Don't expect everything for free. I can't disagree on the fact that without servers people would get bored.
05/30/2015 8:18 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Explorer
RenegadeRad
Bear_ I agree with this post completely, you see, I am a blogger too, who posts on such topics. I have been playing Minecraft since it came out... for 5 years now, Iv seen the MC community change, and let me tell you, it was VERY disturbing for me.. I literally stopped playing on servers for 2 years, because it was very Un - Minecraft. Server people or kids (Especially kids) are wannabes and want to make money, or want fame, because server hosting is the most famous thing of Minecraft, as you can play with other players and community. But people who make servers these days have the aim to collect money, not give something new and feel. They have made Minecraft a money collecting buisness... I love Mini games, but only until you spam about them everywhere.. people start advertising their servers on famous posts, start spamming and stuff... There are TOO many servers.

Another thing is Donator ranks, which is VERY partial.. I mean donator ranks get special and OP stuff, and the discriminate Rookies... Why not make a server with NO donator ranks? why not make everyone equal? This is why I only play Realms with 2 or 3 friends I have... I know you need money to run a server but, WHY DO you run a server? to collect money or give the world something?

So much is happening to Minecraft, that no one cares about the original Minecraft, they just want to get money and be famous.. I guess THIS is why Notch sold Mojang...

I am so fed up with this, that I might have put some offence in my comment, and I apologise... but you know what we are going through
05/30/2015 9:17 am
Bear_
No need to apologise. I've been around for a long long time as well, and your comment basically sums up my thoughts. The only difference is that I believe there aren't too much servers, but there's just too little creativity around.
05/30/2015 11:27 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Explorer
RenegadeRad
You are right about there is just too little creativity.
Whenever you blame something in Minecraft, these "Newbies" or people start saying that we are getting bored of Minecraft, or being Nostalgic. You can NEVER get bored of such a interesting platform like Minecraft, people are making minecraft what it is not, a normal video game to collect money and stuff.. Minecraft has its own unique feel and its not just a game, its a reality, Feel, a different type of game (Little LITTLE like skyrim )

Just as I said... PEOPLE MAKE ANYTHING FAMOUS A MONEY COLLECTING BUISNESS
05/30/2015 6:24 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Explorer
nlgamer1000
There is a dilemma when trying to use 'new' minigame plugins.

Players may not be familiar with them and don't want to try.
Ask a player which minigames he wants and they always say 'the basic ones'.
Running new and exciting minigame plugins may be unfinished and buggy.
Most server lists that use tags wont have the new and unqiue minigame as a tag.

I think that it is fine when an owner uses a downloaded map to start with, perhaps he wants to spent time on fine-tuning everything first before looking for a good builder. Asking for builders on forums NEVER helped me, I always got staff from my community.
05/30/2015 7:20 am
Bear_
I agree on the first part. I think a minigame server 'must' have the basic minigames, but, the can also create 1 (or more) new minigames. This will make them stand out.

I don't think it's a good thing to download a map to start with. A custom World/Map is fine, not a pre-made spawn. I feel like making a spawn is part of the fine-tuning. And, forum's might not help, nothing is a guarantee. However, you can always try it. Using staff from your community for buildings is what anyone' wants, at least I believe. But, you will need to build up a community first, don't you?
05/30/2015 5:14 am
Level 24 : Expert Network
NOTAVALIABLE
Have one server for every game mode. Problem solved.
05/29/2015 6:58 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Dragon
philips99
I just hate when I go to servers lists and just see things like "Factions server!" "Awesome factions server" "OP Factions server!" "New factions server" ....

There isn't enough creativity to create new servers, factions servers always dies. In my opinion, minigames servers are the best ones. You have to put a lot of effort to create new minigames, maps and arenas.

It's also annoying to see servers with maps and spawns downloaded from the internet. I arleady seen 2 or 3 servers using the same spawn.
05/30/2015 6:03 am
Bear_
Yes, I don't like it either when spawn's are downloaded from the web. I can image server owners to be unable to build themselves though, but, there are alot of average builders who can help you out (for free).

I really like minigames as well, because, as you said, you need to put effort in creating cool maps and good minigames. A sad thing, like any other catagorie is, that many servers just copycat eachother and aren't really that different.
05/29/2015 7:09 pm
SandyBlox
What's your opinion on faction servers that are actually unique?
05/30/2015 6:16 am
Level 30 : Artisan Dragon
philips99
Well, I don't know how to make facions servers unique. Maybe with pvp events daily or weekly, custom maps and plugins, or other features that normally I don't see on factions servers. In my opinion, it's hard to make a factions server atractive, but if you manange to do it, you are probably a genius. But yeah, I would like to see an unique factions server.
05/30/2015 7:44 am
SandyBlox
05/30/2015 6:04 am
Bear_
I believe a way to make a faction server (more) attractive is changing the ranks. I've seen some faction servers use 'races' which have different abilities and disabilities. This is changing the gameplay a little and makes it more challenging, in my opinion.
05/29/2015 6:47 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Wolf Whisperer
Eeirail
I find that option three on the poll is all too true to be honest. It's a plague on MC because people often times just erect servers for the money or the power and don't actually are about making something new or fun for other players.

It's a sad but true fact.
05/30/2015 6:06 am
Bear_
Nothing more to add to this.
05/29/2015 7:47 am
Level 1 : New Miner
ElitaBuild
First of all, this is the sort of post I like. You built up your arguments pretty well. Can I agree with this? This post probably helped me do that, and I really enjoy that.

Honestly it seems like the worst servers get the most attention. Its like food you hate the taste of, it seems like everyone else loves it. The best servers, the true ones that really could thrive just are neglected by people, trampled over and left to rot. These people throw together horrible servers in hopes of money.
05/29/2015 10:38 am
Bear_
Thank you for the compliment. At least my goal's achieved now (hehe).
I agree. Of course, there is a different in people's taste. I can't tell people that factions are bad and minigame's are not. It's all about opinion. But indeed, consider the fact that if you start a server, you must invent in it. Money won't pop up out of the blue. And I personally think money shouldn't be a servers main goal anyway
05/29/2015 7:17 am
Level 21 : Expert Engineer
NetworkPCE
There is always too many, but the thing is, there has to be -lower quality- servers to be good servers. There is too many games, too many hosting companies, but there is one thing these all have in common, there are bad and good ones.
05/29/2015 10:36 am
Bear_
That is totally true. I can't disagree. Without the bad there won't be the good.
05/29/2015 6:55 am
Level 22 : Expert Network
True, there just isn't enough creativity. Like there are like a thousand MC servers, just none of them are creative and good.

Kill the bad ones.
05/29/2015 7:01 am
Bear_
Indeed. I wouldn't kill the bad, but why can't they (as I suggested) work together to
achieve their goals? What is being creative?
05/28/2015 8:41 pm
raidarr
Yes.

Thousands of factions servers and hundreds for Prison, KitPVP, normal minigames, Towny... Hunger Games... And many of each are clones of each other. Downloaded spawns? Sheesh... just count on sites someday. Oh, and creative ideas and executions tend to be buried...

I don't define creativity as changing a few stats and making things confusing, or saying "we have it all" either. Sure you have what everyone else has, but why not have something nobody else has?
05/29/2015 5:26 am
Bear_
This are exactly my thoughts
05/28/2015 8:23 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
ForTheBanter
People create servers because they want to attempt to be "rich n famous" like Hypixel, Hive, Mineplex, etc. They think if they just install a few plugins, make a effortless spawn, and put up factions they will instantly become millionaires overnight.

The reason some deserving servers fail is because all the faction servers clog up the publicity that deserving servers should be getting.
05/29/2015 5:27 am
Bear_
True, I haven't really thought about it this way, within the post. I agree, but becoming big and famous is the goal tó become rich (I believe).
And, if (faction) servers clog up the publicity, doesn't this mean that there are too many servers?
05/28/2015 8:19 pm
Level 29 : Expert Artist
nikh
One word: factions. *dies*
05/31/2015 8:43 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Modder
guestds
i think for most people faction servers are more torture then Malificents wings pure iron chained off lol
05/28/2015 8:18 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Button Pusher
SleepyDog
People create servers purely to be 'God' or to get money. That's the problem.
05/30/2015 5:59 pm
Level 26 : Expert Zombie
nameiztaken
Somewhat true, but this is not the case for everyone. I have a SMP server for my friends and I, no donations and no power play. It is not open to the public though
05/29/2015 10:40 am
Level 42 : Master Mage
Pixel
05/29/2015 1:32 pm
Bear_
Yup
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome