Advice for a computer

Flaming Apple's Avatar Flaming Apple9/21/14 12:33 pm
1 emeralds 1.1k 42
9/21/2014 6:24 pm
Proxiify's Avatar Proxiify
Now updated to a better format:

What is this computer going to be used for?
Using for Minecraft, (I wish for maybe around 80+ FPS,and being able to load HD resource packs,and play fancy,etc) and other FPS games,going on the internet.
What is your budget?
$500-800 (Estimate!)
Where do you live? If in the US, do you have a nearby Microcenter?
U.S,MA,and yes I do. Maybe a 30 minute drive or so.
What is included in the budget?
No idea. This was a estimated budget
Will you be overclocking?
No
Will you be reusing any parts?
No
What OS do you want?
Windows 7 or Windows 8.1
Any specific case preferences?
Bright green case
Any other special features that you want in the build?
No. Just standard stuff like USB,Headphone/Microphones slots,and maybe audio output. Unless included already.
Flaming Apple
Level 5 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

09/21/2014 6:24 pm
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
Proxiify
The only thing I would buy from Alienware are their laptops tbh
But gaming laptops suck anyway
09/21/2014 5:51 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
DatFox
Killertoad
Snowyfox

I don't get why everybody is going nuts over an Alienware. Yes, you will be glorious and meritable for helping people not waste money, but a bit more reasoning and less hate would be nice. I haven't been using my Alienware for over a year, but so far it is doing awesome other than the fact that UEFI is trolling and refusing to install any Linux distros.

Yes, avoid buying an Alienware, but don't have an insanely strong hate for no particular reason. And Dell, although being a jerk at times, do indeed make quite good computers in terms of durability.

Build a PC or buy from a different company for something better.

Also, OP, I barely even read your post because it was painful to read. PLEASE split it into paragraphs so it's a bit more palatable to the eyes. Thanks.

There are many reasons we hate alienware. One, they charge way more than what they pay. (Not just a 100 dollars or so, more like 400-1000 dollars profit, they don't buy all there parts at full price either, heck they make half the stuff they put it in, and when you make your own parts, you can cut corners, which is also what they do)

They use their "custom" made motherboards, which are utter crap.

I'm surprised how the x51's don't overheat, but then I remembered that they use low end hardware, unless you spend 1,500 dollars, on a PC that costs around 600 if you build it.

They claim stuff that isn't true, like look

On video cards, you don't combine the Vram. If both cards have 3GB's, then you only have 3GB's total. They don't add together.

uh no we love alienware

No, uneducated fanboys tend to love them.
09/21/2014 4:23 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Blockhead
Woodilicious
If you really want a good green case in your price range....
This with this over the window and buttons, and then covered with This.

(Not sure if it's a good idea though...)
09/21/2014 4:14 pm
Level 47 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
I wanted to fit in a really nice GPU so you wouldn't have to upgrade that for a while. The CPU is an i3, but it's more than capable of maxing out games like Battlefield 4, and the motherboard allows you to upgrade it all the way up to a 5th generation i7 (when it comes out) if you wanted to.

Heck you could use a Pentium G3258 if you wanted to keep the price low (it's about $40 less). It's clocked a little slower and isn't hyper-threaded, but it can still max out games like Battlefield 4.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($99.99 @ Micro Center)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB ACX Video Card ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $794.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-21 16:13 EDT-0400

I couldn't find a good green case in your price range. You can always buy some green fans to stick in this case though.
09/21/2014 4:52 pm
Flaming Apple
Red is always the next best option color wise. You did what you could. I am really considering your build.
09/21/2014 4:02 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Ninja
DatFox
Killertoad
Snowyfox
Flaming Apple
Click to reveal
:!: Ignore this I will be editing this forum fully soon to get advice on parts for a possible custom build. Skip to the part behind "Edit:" So I honestly don't like my computer. For looking around the internet its okay,but really I only use the computer for gaming,and watching videos,and doing work for the school I'm going to. I really have been taking buying a new computer into consideration,and a AlienWare seems like a okay option,but since I'm not old enough to buy a computer on my own, (I'm a teenager,but still...) and not to mention I wouldn't have the patience or knowledge of building my own I need someone else to buy me one. My current computer is just a old old Windows 7 computer,and honestly I couldn't tell you the specs. Its so old,and I already threw the box away when I got my laptop. So I looked into the AlienWare. I plan on buying the X51,but not because its a AlienWare product,but because it got a GeForce GTX 745 graphics card with 4GB DDR3 (I took that strait off the site. Like I said not a expert) I always hear about how good GeForce's graphics cards are for gaming,and I don't really want to go on a limb,and trust some company I never heard of that might get suggested,but the only other PC gaming company I know is really Origin PC. The person I am getting to buy this is my Father. Who is richish,but at times and hes really hard to Bargin with. Right now the AlienWare X51 is $700 dollars,and since my birthday is in 6 days I was wondering is it worth it? Anyways thanks for any advice you guys give. I'll be waiting for it. Edit: Also I had a seperate page open while editing this,and every once,and awhile refreshed to check up on it while editing,and some comments were helpful,but some were absolute flame. Please if you must don't flame this forum...Since I was already in the process of editing. This is simply asking should I buy the AlienWare or not. I will look for something I can build later on since its suggested rather to build it. I honestly didn't think building was the worth it,but since its made out to be better I'm going to check up on it later. Anyway just keep bringing feedback on some good things to help me build,or if you really can show me a powerful PC. Thanks. Since AlienWare sounds like a awful company I will no longer be purchasing. Thanks stopping that.

I don't get why everybody is going nuts over an Alienware. Yes, you will be glorious and meritable for helping people not waste money, but a bit more reasoning and less hate would be nice. I haven't been using my Alienware for over a year, but so far it is doing awesome other than the fact that UEFI is trolling and refusing to install any Linux distros.

Yes, avoid buying an Alienware, but don't have an insanely strong hate for no particular reason. And Dell, although being a jerk at times, do indeed make quite good computers in terms of durability.

Also, OP, I barely even read your post because it was painful to read. PLEASE split it into paragraphs so it's a bit more palatable to the eyes. Thanks.

There are many reasons we hate alienware. One, they charge way more than what they pay. (Not just a 100 dollars or so, more like 400-1000 dollars profit, they don't buy all there parts at full price either, heck they make half the stuff they put it in, and when you make your own parts, you can cut corners, which is also what they do)

I'm surprised how the x51's don't overheat, but then I remembered that they use low end hardware, unless you spend 1,500 dollars, on a PC that costs around 600 if you build it.

On video cards, you don't combine the Vram. If both cards have 3GB's, then you only have 3GB's total. They don't add together.

uh no we love alienware
09/21/2014 3:54 pm
Woodilicious
Here's a build I put together. As always, I would not recommend going with it unless it's approved by one of the experts. I'm only a novice at making build lists.

(The case is poor quality, but it's the only cheap green one. @OP, you might have to settle for a non-green case)
Don't Use Unless Approved
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H97 PERFORMANCE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair XMS 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Club 3D Radeon R9 280X 3GB royalQueen Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Apevia X-SNIPER2-GN ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $805.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-21 15:49 EDT-0400

(I know it's probably not good, but I'm pretty sure I've been improving over the last few weeks.)
09/21/2014 4:00 pm
Flaming Apple
The case doesn't matter. I think it actually looks pretty decent. Anyway I'll wait to see if its good or not. ;D
09/21/2014 4:03 pm
Level 19 : Journeyman Network
forgot about you
It is pretty good. I'd wait to make sure. But you can always get a better case when you save up
09/21/2014 3:57 pm
forgot about you
You could probably get a more reliable HDD, other than that I think it's good
09/21/2014 3:43 pm
forgot about you
Flaming Apple
Namechange
Flaming AppleSorry I didn't fill out the recommendation sheet earlier. Got distracted with stuff irl.

Ok, fill it out when you have the time, everyone has a life irl sadly ;(

Front page bro.

Well wait for the builds, I would contribute to help make a build, but I'm on my phone away from home. So GG and GL building a computer!
09/21/2014 3:38 pm
Level 31 : Artisan Dragonborn
WTFshady
Killertoad

Except motherboards, they also make their own GPUs (GTX 745 or 760ti) which are more or less the same thing as original ones with another name.
09/21/2014 3:36 pm
Flaming Apple
Sorry I didn't fill out the recommendation sheet earlier. Got distracted with stuff irl.
09/21/2014 3:39 pm
forgot about you
Ok, fill it out when you have the time, everyone has a life irl sadly ;(
09/21/2014 3:41 pm
Flaming Apple
Front page bro. Also I wasn't sure about overclocking. Not sure if it would be of use to me. ;-;
09/21/2014 3:45 pm
forgot about you
I don't think you should overclock, since this is your first build. I have made 2 computers for myself and will only overclock on my 3rd, so GL.
09/21/2014 3:27 pm
Level 22 : Expert Crafter
Killertoad
Snowyfox
Flaming Apple
Click to reveal
:!: Ignore this I will be editing this forum fully soon to get advice on parts for a possible custom build. Skip to the part behind "Edit:" So I honestly don't like my computer. For looking around the internet its okay,but really I only use the computer for gaming,and watching videos,and doing work for the school I'm going to. I really have been taking buying a new computer into consideration,and a AlienWare seems like a okay option,but since I'm not old enough to buy a computer on my own, (I'm a teenager,but still...) and not to mention I wouldn't have the patience or knowledge of building my own I need someone else to buy me one. My current computer is just a old old Windows 7 computer,and honestly I couldn't tell you the specs. Its so old,and I already threw the box away when I got my laptop. So I looked into the AlienWare. I plan on buying the X51,but not because its a AlienWare product,but because it got a GeForce GTX 745 graphics card with 4GB DDR3 (I took that strait off the site. Like I said not a expert) I always hear about how good GeForce's graphics cards are for gaming,and I don't really want to go on a limb,and trust some company I never heard of that might get suggested,but the only other PC gaming company I know is really Origin PC. The person I am getting to buy this is my Father. Who is richish,but at times and hes really hard to Bargin with. Right now the AlienWare X51 is $700 dollars,and since my birthday is in 6 days I was wondering is it worth it? Anyways thanks for any advice you guys give. I'll be waiting for it. Edit: Also I had a seperate page open while editing this,and every once,and awhile refreshed to check up on it while editing,and some comments were helpful,but some were absolute flame. Please if you must don't flame this forum...Since I was already in the process of editing. This is simply asking should I buy the AlienWare or not. I will look for something I can build later on since its suggested rather to build it. I honestly didn't think building was the worth it,but since its made out to be better I'm going to check up on it later. Anyway just keep bringing feedback on some good things to help me build,or if you really can show me a powerful PC. Thanks. Since AlienWare sounds like a awful company I will no longer be purchasing. Thanks stopping that.

09/21/2014 2:16 pm
Woodilicious
If you fill this out, we can give you an idea of what parts you should get for your computer:

This
List what you will be doing with your computer.
What is your budget?
Include amount and currency.
Your country lets us know what sites you can order from. If you have a nearby Microcenter they have some great in-store only deals that you can take advantage of.
Things like the tower, the OS, peripherals and monitors.
Overclocking will require different hardware than a non-overclocking build so we need to know this.
If you are reusing parts list them here.
What OS do you want?
Say which OS you want or say if you already have a copy of one.
Size, color, etc.
Stuff like an SSD, large hard drive, RAID, and wifi
09/21/2014 1:46 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Randomness3333
Answer the questions in the build template so we can give you part recommendations. For your budget an AMD GPU will probably be best.
09/21/2014 1:19 pm
Snowyfox
Flaming Apple
Click to reveal

09/21/2014 1:16 pm
Flaming Apple
Namechange
Flaming Apple:!: Ignore this I will be editing this forum fully soon to get advice on parts for a possible custom build. Skip to the part behind "Edit:" So I honestly don't like my computer. For looking around the internet its okay,but really I only use the computer for gaming,and watching videos,and doing work for the school I'm going to. I really have been taking buying a new computer into consideration,and a AlienWare seems like a okay option,but since I'm not old enough to buy a computer on my own, (I'm a teenager,but still...) and not to mention I wouldn't have the patience or knowledge of building my own I need someone else to buy me one. My current computer is just a old old Windows 7 computer,and honestly I couldn't tell you the specs. Its so old,and I already threw the box away when I got my laptop. So I looked into the AlienWare. I plan on buying the X51,but not because its a AlienWare product,but because it got a GeForce GTX 745 graphics card with 4GB DDR3 (I took that strait off the site. Like I said not a expert) I always hear about how good GeForce's graphics cards are for gaming,and I don't really want to go on a limb,and trust some company I never heard of that might get suggested,but the only other PC gaming company I know is really Origin PC. The person I am getting to buy this is my Father. Who is richish,but at times and hes really hard to Bargin with. Right now the AlienWare X51 is $700 dollars,and since my birthday is in 6 days I was wondering is it worth it? Anyways thanks for any advice you guys give. I'll be waiting for it. Edit: Also I had a seperate page open while editing this,and every once,and awhile refreshed to check up on it while editing,and some comments were helpful,but some were absolute flame. Please if you must don't flame this forum...Since I was already in the process of editing. This is simply asking should I buy the AlienWare or not. I will look for something I can build later on since its suggested rather to build it. I honestly didn't think building was the worth it,but since its made out to be better I'm going to check up on it later. Anyway just keep bringing feedback on some good things to help me build,or if you really can show me a powerful PC. Thanks. Since AlienWare sounds like a awful company I will no longer be purchasing. Thanks stopping that.

If you want some information on a custom build, visit the PMC Computer Building Help Forum. If you just want to build it blind-eye, look at some tutorials on YouTube and fill this out...
Click to reveal
What is your budget?
Your country lets us know what sites you can order from. If you have a nearby Microcenter they have some great in-store only deals that you can take advantage of.
Overclocking will require different hardware than a non-overclocking build so we need to know this.
What OS do you want?
Size, color, etc.

K. Will be done. Visting computer building now.
09/21/2014 1:13 pm
forgot about you
Flaming Apple:!: Ignore this I will be editing this forum fully soon to get advice on parts for a possible custom build. Skip to the part behind "Edit:" So I honestly don't like my computer. For looking around the internet its okay,but really I only use the computer for gaming,and watching videos,and doing work for the school I'm going to. I really have been taking buying a new computer into consideration,and a AlienWare seems like a okay option,but since I'm not old enough to buy a computer on my own, (I'm a teenager,but still...) and not to mention I wouldn't have the patience or knowledge of building my own I need someone else to buy me one. My current computer is just a old old Windows 7 computer,and honestly I couldn't tell you the specs. Its so old,and I already threw the box away when I got my laptop. So I looked into the AlienWare. I plan on buying the X51,but not because its a AlienWare product,but because it got a GeForce GTX 745 graphics card with 4GB DDR3 (I took that strait off the site. Like I said not a expert) I always hear about how good GeForce's graphics cards are for gaming,and I don't really want to go on a limb,and trust some company I never heard of that might get suggested,but the only other PC gaming company I know is really Origin PC. The person I am getting to buy this is my Father. Who is richish,but at times and hes really hard to Bargin with. Right now the AlienWare X51 is $700 dollars,and since my birthday is in 6 days I was wondering is it worth it? Anyways thanks for any advice you guys give. I'll be waiting for it. Edit: Also I had a seperate page open while editing this,and every once,and awhile refreshed to check up on it while editing,and some comments were helpful,but some were absolute flame. Please if you must don't flame this forum...Since I was already in the process of editing. This is simply asking should I buy the AlienWare or not. I will look for something I can build later on since its suggested rather to build it. I honestly didn't think building was the worth it,but since its made out to be better I'm going to check up on it later. Anyway just keep bringing feedback on some good things to help me build,or if you really can show me a powerful PC. Thanks. Since AlienWare sounds like a awful company I will no longer be purchasing. Thanks stopping that.

If you want some information on a custom build, visit the PMC Computer Building Help Forum. If you just want to build it blind-eye, look at some tutorials on YouTube and fill this out...
Click to reveal
What is your budget?
What OS do you want?
Size, color, etc.
09/21/2014 12:50 pm
Randomness3333
Even if OP doesn't want to build it they can just buy their parts from NCIX who will put it together for you for 50$.
09/21/2014 12:51 pm
WTFshady
Or this.
09/21/2014 12:48 pm
WTFshady
No, no, no, no, just no. Get anything else EXCEPT an Alienware. Even some pre-built PCs are better than Alienwares. If you don't want to build your PC, you can just go with something else, BUT NOT AN ALIENWARE!
09/21/2014 4:02 pm
Level 35 : Artisan Ninja
DatFox
NO YOU GET A ALIENWARE!
09/21/2014 4:28 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Ninja
Afootpluto
Alienware sucks. If you don't know what you are talking about please leave.
09/21/2014 12:46 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Ninja
Afootpluto
If you want a fire in your house get a alienware. If you want a computer build it yourself.
09/21/2014 12:50 pm
forgot about you
Alienware x51:
A ticking time bomb
A fire
A waste of money
A way to get hated
(Except for people in your neighborhood that think you're all cool because you have a fancy name for a dell.)

Custom PC:
Upgradable
Worth your money
Not dell
You know what's in the box
An amazing computer

So choose one
09/21/2014 12:52 pm
WTFshady
Don't forget to add that the neighborhood will think that you're cool because of the alien logo and the lights.
09/21/2014 12:55 pm
forgot about you
How could you forget
09/21/2014 12:41 pm
forgot about you
No no nooooo don't buy Alienware.
If you are willing to build a computer please fill this out.

What is your budget?
What OS do you want?
Size, color, etc.

If you want to know the advantages of building it yourself,
1. The fun of building it
2. Saving at least $100 then buying a prebuilt
3. You can upgrade it at any time since you know the exact specs
4. It is completely customizable.

If you do not want to build it, please say. Also early happy birthday
09/21/2014 12:40 pm
Level 17 : Journeyman Network
bobbiecraftstoday123
and not to mention I wouldn't have the patience or knowledge of building my own I need someone else to buy me one.

No

No

No. You want some else to buy you a thousand dollar computer? Um... Good luck, you can do work to get it, that's how I got my computer, no one here is willing to buy you a computer with the snap if your fingers.

The person I am getting to buy this is my Father. Who is rich,but at times greedy,and hes really hard to Bargin with

No

No

No. As I said above work for it, also trash talking about your dad behind his back is rude, mean, and inconsiderate, If your dad is so rich surely you have your own money to buy your computer, because of the allowance you get from chores.
09/21/2014 12:39 pm
Randomness3333
No, just no. They are horrible even for a prebuilt. Watch this video and tell me that building a pc is difficult.
[yt]zcR8Fl8cwZk[/yt]
09/21/2014 1:15 pm
Flaming Apple
Since it doesn't seem difficult or someone can help me assemble it I really need recommendations for parts. Espically graphics cards. Although most youtubers use GeForce not taking my chances.
09/21/2014 1:20 pm
forgot about you
At the moment, nVidias 9xx series are stronger than some R9 2xxs. Though the R9 2xxs were stronger than the nVidia 7xx series. ATM, get a 9xx series nVidia, or wait till the next generation AMD cards.
09/21/2014 1:38 pm
Flaming Apple
Aaah so GeForces are my best option? Yes I will look into these cards since they are probably the most important part of gaming. I would try to pull a lame one,and just add a card into my computer normally,but now I'm really looking into building a computer...
09/21/2014 1:53 pm
Woodilicious
It depends on your budget. If your budget is under $1000, then most would recommend an AMD card. However, Nvidia (GeForces) are much better for $1000+ budgets. Although they perform a bit better than their cheaper competitors (780 vs 290x), they run a lot cooler, and consume less power.

I saw you said somewhere that you were looking at a $700 Alienware x51. Assuming $700 is your budget, I'd recommend an AMD Radeon R9 280 or 280x. Hell, you might actually be able to fit a 970 into that budget. I haven't seen prices of GPUs since the 9xx series came out. I'd assume the 290s and 280xs have gone down in price, to keep up with the price/performance of the 970.
09/21/2014 1:57 pm
Flaming Apple
This actually was the AlienWare forum if you look at the web address,but anyway thanks for the back-up options.
09/21/2014 1:47 pm
forgot about you
yes, build a computer. And it depends on your motherboard, power supply, your case, and everything. It isn't possible to use a dedicated GPU on some normal little notebook.
It all really does depend on your budget. Trust, you'll be getting tons of builds when you fill it out
09/21/2014 1:50 pm
WTFshady
Well, not tons, but at least 5. As for the other parts, this guy is right.
09/21/2014 12:45 pm
forgot about you
Not only that, if you buy a prebuilt you are paying out the arse for something that will break in 2 years and wasting your money.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome