Is this a good server setup (Not Advertising)

TheRealClashCraft's Avatar TheRealClashCraft4/17/17 1:31 am
5/1/2017 12:26 pm
raidarr's Avatar raidarr
Hey I'm Andrew
I am currentlly setting up a factions server 1.8.9
I want your opionion, Here are the features. Would you play
Features:
Click to reveal
Factions
Custom Biomes
Custom Enchants
Custom Mobs
Custom Achievments
Quests
Mcmmo
Envoys
Bid Auctions
Auction House
Economy
GuiShop
Bountys
Craftbook
Voting
Crates
Timeplayed
Duel
Dropparty
Koth
Custom Fishing
Lava Sponge
Obsidian And Bedrock Breaker
Parkour
Particles

If you like the server please support it with our patreon page
https://www.patreon.com/ClashCraft
TheRealClashCraft
Level 2 : Apprentice Network

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/01/2017 12:26 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Well configured free plugins can go a good distance. Just a little harder to do - time is used instead of money.
04/30/2017 11:56 am
Level 1 : New Miner
_SaUsAgE_
I'm guessing that all of these are leaked plugins/free plugins? This makes it possible for someone to replicate the same exact config. Considering that the world and terrain are actually custom, this doesn't really change much to me.
04/20/2017 10:57 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Network
OtakuMC
nooooope.
04/20/2017 7:19 pm
TheRealClashCraft
Nice name
04/21/2017 10:21 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Network
OtakuMC
Thanks! I manage an Otaku Server.
04/17/2017 2:33 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Mlem Mlem Bat
Karrfis
Moved to Server Help
04/17/2017 6:28 pm
TheRealClashCraft
Thanks Mod
04/17/2017 2:03 pm
Level 49 : Master Wizard
Sammo346
All of it looks completely fine to me, no feature bloat.

I would however try and stresstest the server to see if it lags much without the 'extra' fun stuff first.

GL
04/17/2017 6:30 pm
TheRealClashCraft
Why thanks. I am keeping that in mind, And having my prioritys straight. Such as "In the event of too much lag, These are the plugins i need to keep and these are the plugins I am willing to part with"

I hope to see you on there when its up and Running
04/17/2017 12:47 pm
raidarr
Honestly? Strikes me as a case of feature bloat that is based on a far too commonly used gameplay core.
04/17/2017 6:28 pm
TheRealClashCraft
Yes Honestly. And I dont understand "Feature Bloat"? I want a server that is original, Has a good combination of fun. A nice difficulty level. And I want their to be multiple roads to success. There is the obvious Grind & Raid Stratagy, But why would someone pick my server over someone more populars if that was all i had to offer, What I did is say.. What activitys would be a fun route to take to get to be wealthy. So I added KOTH. Then I added Envoys for the pvpers. Then my mind went to "What about people who are not good at pvp, I cant just make all activitys for pvp" So I added fishing tournys, voting, and custom mobs with good loot. Thats when I thought, how can my server help people improve on stuff they arn't good at, So I added Parkour and Dueling. You dont have to do One or The other, And you dont have to do all of them. Its a matter if preferance and originality. Obviously Voting & Crates if for advertising. But its a added bonus. Rankup and kits are pretty essential for factions servers.
If you dont like factions you dont like factions
04/18/2017 12:40 pm
raidarr
If you don't like opinions, don't ask for opinions O.o
04/18/2017 6:32 pm
TheRealClashCraft
Its not the opinion that i didnt like. I was trying to justify my server and understand your opinion
04/19/2017 12:03 pm
raidarr
The comment was largely aimed at the closing sentence. I may have gone a bit overboard with that as I'm used to people going on the offensive. :p Now, to actually respond to the body.

My take on it is that at the core, there is little to really make the server stand out from other servers based on that list of plugins.

People will ultimately join because they like factions and see factions in the title. Typically, if they don't like factions, they simply won't bother to join at all - it's become something of a polarized mode. You can assume that factions is the primary appeal here. The problem with that appeal is that the moment you post in a recruitment forum, you are facing dozens of servers on that same page with a very similar pitch and some who are also throwing in plugins for the sake of standing out slightly. It would be a matter of luck for people to chose your server in particular, and when it is chosen, there must be content that truly stands out. Other servers have similar plugins and made changes. Other servers, indeed, have multiple of the most common game modes (factions, creative, survival, etc).

Almost every server does voting and crates. There is nothing special in adding them unless you are doing something to them that's particularly special. Indeed, they're something of a staple of factions servers, like how MCMMO was the primary sidekick of factions for a while. Time played, drop party functionality, envoys, auctions, an economy and shops are also not uncommon. Custom mobs and such can be found on servers dedicated to those functions.

At the end of the day, what most people are going to end up seeing is "1.8 factions server" and regardless of the little twists that are put in - and a majority of plugins on that list are simply common attachments to factions servers based on the ones I've looked the past few months- the "1.8 factions server" will make or break the deal. Stuff like fishing and custom mobs is fluff without a focus or theme to make it something beyond just a set of plugins where the pitch is largely having a higher count than the next server down the list.

I'd have to actually look at your implementation of quests and how that is used with the custom functions to comment on that side of the server. Feel free to rebuke me if there's a large portion of the server I'm missing here. I largely draw from the plugin list and the plugin list alone.

"Feature bloat" was a term I used to describe plugins added just to add more "stuff". I'm more picky than most folks, so my idea of just "stuff" is likely to be different. However, I define the "stuff" (that results in "feature bloat") as a set of functions added in for the sake of themselves, rather than contributing to a common idea. What I see is simply a bunch of stuff lumped together to seem better than the servers around you - yet, as the dead IP addresses of a great many servers would attest to, more is not necessarily better. It's how it is executed that matters, and that's something I can't really judge at the moment.
04/17/2017 7:19 am
Level 5 : Apprentice Engineer
TheWranger
Keep things as simple as possible. You don't need crap like "Custom Fishing" or "Custom Achievements". Avoid flooding your server with unnecessary features as it can lead to messy situations.
04/17/2017 6:31 pm
TheRealClashCraft
They are just fun little roads to take so that you can earn money in other ways then Grind Raid Pvp REPEAT. If you dont like them then you dont have to persue them
04/17/2017 6:41 am
Level 24 : Expert Button Pusher
Azrath
factions server

Insta-turn off.
04/17/2017 6:31 pm
TheRealClashCraft
K?
04/18/2017 3:50 am
Level 24 : Expert Button Pusher
Azrath
Just saying that something that has been done like every 2nd server why would I like to play on yours? I know I sound rune, I try not to but again why choose some new server over some other already stable server that will continue to exist beyond first month and has already community and players?

Factions servers are all over place and you would need to be EXTRA lucky to somehow your faction becomes one everyone will wont to play over those other top faction servers.

Also with such a reply rather than asking why do I dislike it you wont get anywhere. I was server owner, have experience and I know what I am talking about. Just in case you ask, I am here since 2010, was hosting servers from 2012-1014 but got bored of it.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome