This is morse code. Help me decode this secret message!

elfin8er's Avatar elfin8er4/24/14 11:33 pm
4/25/2014 3:18 pm
EsseoS's Avatar EsseoS
UPDATE!
It appears that it is in fact morse code, and that the transmission reads: "GMR 256" (Thanks to Paril for decoding it). Anyone have any suggestions to what it could mean?

</endofupdate>
I'm just wondering what you guys think of this. I had a walkie talkie scanning through it's channels, when I noticed some weird beeping coming from one of the channels. I stopped the walkie talkie from scanning and listened. It almost sounded like morse code (Haven't really heard too much morse code, but it's just what came to mind). I kept it on the channel while I went about my day, and noticed it kept happening. I kept my eye on the clock, and it happened almost exactly every ten minutes. I grabbed my iPad to try to record it. Here's what I got from it:

https://soundcloud.com/elfin8er/morsecode

So what do you guys think? Is it morse code? Or just interference? Would anybody be able to decode it if it is morse code, and/or provide a reliable source?
elfin8er
Level 17 : Journeyman Crafter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

04/25/2014 3:15 pm
Level 52 : Grandmaster Programmer
DarkEyeDragon
Wow this site just turned into a Morse Decoder. Try to pick up some usefull stuff

and i googled a bit:
http://www.acronymfinder.com/Military-a ... t/GMR.html

Ground Mobile Radio
Government Micro Resources
Groupe Mobile de Réserve (French: Mobile Reserve Group)
Ground Mapping Radar
04/25/2014 3:18 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Ranger
EsseoS
That's what I said earlier. I could mean Bad things, Good things, random things, or nothing at all
04/25/2014 3:15 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
GenCedric
Aww i wanted it to be like what i said earlier:

Hmm, GMR 256... GMR is the big company in charlotte that deals with financial stuff, charlotte has one of the biggest airports in the world, which has more than 5 flights with the number 256, including a flight going to denver colorado. Denver used to owe $25.6 Million in fees due to overspending. Some of the overspending was coming from the middle east. In the middle east, There is the Gulf Marketing Review that reviews different things. It did a story on the taliban one time. The taliban has weapons, a few are the "TWS-13A-M Thermal Weapon Sight" Its dimentions are (336x256), so obvously that means there is going to be a Thermal Weapon sight that is going to be thrown and hit Iraq's leader in the head!!!
04/25/2014 2:56 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Ranger
EsseoS
04/25/2014 2:44 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Miner
OryHara350
yea, 1-22, this list is from wikipedia, outdated. it has to be a fairly close station, for it to bleed over and the recieve being very wide. most police scanner use an intermediate filter to block out unwanted frequencies. your radio's IF frequency isnt known, but should be in the manual.

some ham operators use 200+ watts in radiofrequency power, so it's bleeding from some local station.
04/25/2014 3:03 pm
elfin8er
This seems like the most plausible theory so far. Thank you so much!

I was looking through a manual for a similar Bellsouth (Bellsouth 2231), and it says it's GMRS frequencies are channels 15-22. This further supports your theory I believe. Also, apparently using GMRS frequencies requires an FCC license. Good to know.
04/25/2014 2:44 pm
Level 46 : Master Button Pusher
Leeberator
GMR 256.

Illuminati. No way it could be anything else.
04/25/2014 2:20 pm
OryHara350
nah, thats a FRS radio, i dont think a toy store would be selling these. the frequency range on these radios is close to the 40 CM ham radio band on 420-4450 MHz, just as i predicted, you probably have a local ham radio operater in your area bleeding over your radio.

i dont know the quality of bellsouth, but the recieve must be fairly wide.

this is the channel list for your radio.

this is the most likely scenario, bleedover from a ham operator

List of FRS channels
Channel Frequency (MHz) Notes
1 462.5625 Shared with GMRS
2 462.5875 Shared with GMRS
3 462.6125 Shared with GMRS
4 462.6375 Shared with GMRS
5 462.6625 Shared with GMRS
6 462.6875 Shared with GMRS
7 462.7125 Shared with GMRS
8 467.5625 FRS use only
9 467.5875 FRS use only
10 467.6125 FRS use only
11 467.6375 FRS use only
12 467.6625 FRS use only
13 467.6875 FRS use only
14 467.7125 FRS use only
04/25/2014 2:27 pm
elfin8er
So would 1-14 be the channels on the radio? One problem. This one goes up to 22. Also, it would have to have been on channel 1-7 for that to be true, correct? The morse code was picked up on channel 20 I believe. Or maybe I'm just not understanding any of what you're saying xD
04/25/2014 2:10 pm
GenCedric
elfin8er
OryHara350hmmm, can you put up a picture of ur walkie talkie, it'll help me narrow it down

that way i know what band(s) it uses.

Here ya go! Probably got it at Toys R Us or something.

http://imgur.com/d4YzOqz,BxNrLWO

There's some numbers on the back too. Not sure what you need.

http://imgur.com/d4YzOqz,BxNrLWO#1

If it'd help anyone narrow it down a bit more, I live in Pennsylvania. Not going to go in anymore detail on where I live, but that eliminates anything out of state. Could it just be a local radio station or something?

Also, quick question. This specific walkie talkie can only receive up to 5KM. However, if there's a transmitter that can transmit say... 15KM, then would the walkie talkie be able to pick it up if the transmission is 10-20KM away? If so, could there be a transmission that transmits 100's or even 1000's of KM's? If so, it could be coming from anywhere.

GenCedricHmm, GMR 256... GMR is the big company in charlotte that deals with financial stuff, charlotte has one of the biggest airports in the world, which has more than 5 flights with the number 256, including a flight going to denver colorado. Denver used to owe $25.6 Million in fees due to overspending. Some of the overspending was coming from the middle east. In the middle east, There is the Gulf Marketing Review that reviews different things. It did a story on the taliban one time. The taliban has weapons, a few are the "TWS-13A-M Thermal Weapon Sight" Its dimentions are (336x256), so obvously that means there is going to be a Thermal Weapon sight that is going to be thrown and hit Iraq's leader in the head!!!

SOLVED IT!

*hides in corner*

lol, this made me laugh.

xD
04/25/2014 1:36 pm
GenCedric
If you guys need my to site my sources i can
04/25/2014 1:35 pm
GenCedric
Hmm, GMR 256... GMR is the big company in charlotte that deals with financial stuff, charlotte has one of the biggest airports in the world, which has more than 5 flights with the number 256, including a flight going to denver colorado. Denver used to owe $25.6 Million in fees due to overspending. Some of the overspending was coming from the middle east. In the middle east, There is the Gulf Marketing Review that reviews different things. It did a story on the taliban one time. The taliban has weapons, a few are the "TWS-13A-M Thermal Weapon Sight" Its dimentions are (336x256), so obvously that means there is going to be a Thermal Weapon sight that is going to be thrown and hit Iraq's leader in the head!!!

SOLVED IT!
04/25/2014 1:23 pm
Level 49 : Master Batman
Casamify
Well I had it on for the entire day and didn't hear anything else. Just the same code playing every ten minutes. A quick Google search didn't seem to come up with anything. If it is encoded, there's no hope. Well, I guess there's no hope anyways.
dj158is there any government buildings near you?

Eh, just a borough office and what-not.[/quote]
*bureau
AUTOCORRECT HAS STRUCK AGAIN! HAHA![/quote]
Nope, I meant Borough. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borough[/quote]

BUUUUUUUUUUUUURN!
04/25/2014 10:14 am
OryHara350
hmmm, can you put up a picture of ur walkie talkie, it'll help me narrow it down

that way i know what band(s) it uses.
04/25/2014 2:08 pm
elfin8er
Here ya go! Probably got it at Toys R Us or something.

http://imgur.com/d4YzOqz,BxNrLWO

There's some numbers on the back too. Not sure what you need.

http://imgur.com/d4YzOqz,BxNrLWO#1

If it'd help anyone narrow it down a bit more, I live in Pennsylvania. Not going to go in anymore detail on where I live, but that eliminates anything out of state. Could it just be a local radio station or something?

Also, quick question. This specific walkie talkie can only receive up to 5KM. However, if there's a transmitter that can transmit say... 15KM, then would the walkie talkie be able to pick it up if the transmission is 10-20KM away? If so, could there be a transmission that transmits 100's or even 1000's of KM's? If so, it could be coming from anywhere.

GenCedricHmm, GMR 256... GMR is the big company in charlotte that deals with financial stuff, charlotte has one of the biggest airports in the world, which has more than 5 flights with the number 256, including a flight going to denver colorado. Denver used to owe $25.6 Million in fees due to overspending. Some of the overspending was coming from the middle east. In the middle east, There is the Gulf Marketing Review that reviews different things. It did a story on the taliban one time. The taliban has weapons, a few are the "TWS-13A-M Thermal Weapon Sight" Its dimentions are (336x256), so obvously that means there is going to be a Thermal Weapon sight that is going to be thrown and hit Iraq's leader in the head!!!

SOLVED IT!

*hides in corner*

lol, this made me laugh.
04/25/2014 2:13 am
OryHara350
what you picked up is most likely a ham radio morse code transmission, being a cb radio operator, i hear alot of this on the sideband during skip hours.

i dont know how long the actual event took place, but the clip you posted via soundcloud is most likely the stations callsign, hence KMR256/GMR256.

you say walkie talkie, but it sounds like your using a police scanner, it probably entered a ham radio band in VHF-hi and stopped when it picked up the transmission.

edit: looked up the callsign gmr256, not listed officially, but it says its an england callsign, so it could be an illegal operator.
04/25/2014 3:42 am
elfin8er
Not sure if it helps, but I heard the morse code play on and off for around two hours every ten minutes. There was most likely some before and after that point, but I'm not sure how long it was before or after that. Also, it was heard at around 11:00 PM.

Fairly sure it's not a police scanner. Let me double check... Mhm, it's a walkie talkie. If there's any other info you have, I'd be glad to give it to you. Thanks everyone that's helping figure this out. I'm really curious to see if we can figure this out.
04/25/2014 2:03 am
elfin8er
An alternative source said it's "KMR256" rather then "GMR256".
04/25/2014 12:24 am
Level 3 : Apprentice Network
ionorca
Does this airport happen to be Totegegie Airport in French Polynesia?

Research tells me that airports will broadcast their IANA code over radio waves in morse code, and that the Totegegie Airport IANA code is GMR.

Still doesn't explain the 256 though...
04/25/2014 12:28 am
elfin8er
Nope. I live in the Eastern US. Nice try though!
04/25/2014 12:20 am
elfin8er
DalekPotato
elfin8er
ParilChances are it's "encoded" with some sort of one-time pad (or it's literally just airport talk) so I have doubts that any one of us will be able to figure that out. It might even be a part of a larger transmission that was split up or something.

Well I had it on for the entire day and didn't hear anything else. Just the same code playing every ten minutes. A quick Google search didn't seem to come up with anything. If it is encoded, there's no hope. Well, I guess there's no hope anyways.

Eh, just a borough office and what-not.

*bureau
AUTOCORRECT HAS STRUCK AGAIN! HAHA!

Nope, I meant Borough. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borough
04/25/2014 12:16 am
Level 23 : Expert Crab
Morneite
elfin8er
ParilChances are it's "encoded" with some sort of one-time pad (or it's literally just airport talk) so I have doubts that any one of us will be able to figure that out. It might even be a part of a larger transmission that was split up or something.

*bureau
AUTOCORRECT HAS STRUCK AGAIN! HAHA!
04/25/2014 12:10 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Explorer
dj158
is there any government buildings near you?
04/25/2014 12:08 am
Level 88 : Elite Scapegoat
Paril
Chances are it's "encoded" with some sort of one-time pad (or it's literally just airport talk) so I have doubts that any one of us will be able to figure that out. It might even be a part of a larger transmission that was split up or something.
04/25/2014 12:11 am
elfin8er

04/25/2014 12:07 am
elfin8er
Thank you so much Paril! Finally, a real answer. Now to figure out what it means... I like to think it's some secret government code thing, but I have my doubts xD
04/24/2014 11:59 pm
Paril
Yes. The specific transmission there is "GMR 256". No idea what it means, but there you go.
04/25/2014 12:06 am
Level 27 : Expert Taco
experttacobear
lol Paril you have figured out the first step. Now your job is to decipher that code.
04/24/2014 11:55 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Botanist
Treeo
oh snap, inb4takendownbygovernment lol jk.
04/24/2014 11:53 pm
Level 63 : High Grandmaster Modder
froghog
that is what morse code sounds like, yes. and it depends on the message sender to determine speed
04/24/2014 11:38 pm
Paril
It is Morse code, yes.
04/24/2014 11:35 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
Snowyfox
Sounds wayyy too fast for Morse code. Perhaps some type of signal by the military or airports around?
04/24/2014 11:43 pm
elfin8er
Well, the closest airport is 15-20 miles away. Don't these things usually only pick up 5 at most? It's not really a top-of-the-line set or anything.
ParilIt is Morse code, yes.

You sure? Can you decode it?
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome