Thoughts about paying to play on a server?

LuisPM's Avatar LuisPM6/24/16 12:03 pm
7/2/2016 7:43 pm
Aeternalis_'s Avatar Aeternalis_
Hello Everybody!

When I first started playing Minecraft, the first server I went on was a towny/iconomy/vanilla server. I believe that it was a great server because there were no more than about 30 people on at a time and everybody knew each other. I made a lot of friends on servers like this and I would like to bring it back.

Like most servers, they cost money to be hosted. My question is:
Would anyone be willing to pay a small monthly fee of no more than $5 (Would be lower with less people) to play on a small, friendly server like stated above?

If you have another suggestion on helping pay for the server, please comment below your idea!

Please vote in the poll below!

Poll ended 06/25/2016 12:03 pm.

LuisPM
Level 22 : Expert Warrior

Create an account or sign in to comment.

07/02/2016 7:43 pm
Level 21 : Expert Nerd
Aeternalis_
The server would have to be extremely high quality, above that of all other servers.
07/02/2016 4:34 pm
LuisPM
Thank you to Everybody that shared their view on this topic! I really appreciate the feedback. After this I will no longer be replying to comments! Have a good day!
06/28/2016 1:53 pm
Level 50 : Grandmaster Pixel Painter
Sardonyx
Even if you did have a very good server, not many people would be willing to pay to join without having any way to verify that they will like it before paying any money.
06/26/2016 10:16 pm
Level 29 : Expert Lumberjack
Civeberg
I don't think you guys are fully understanding this idea. It doesn't have to be ONLY that server.

For example, there was a very small (40 people) network I used to play on, it had survival and creative. They had a skyblock server that cost a one-time 5$ fee to get in, and it was group skyblock. It worked amazingly, they got tons of profit from it.
06/26/2016 11:55 pm
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
bonnydust
We have both actually, the creative is only new though. And we'd dont charge for either of them, all we expect is that you be a good player and dont wreck things for other people, otherwise you get shown the door pretty quickly.
06/26/2016 9:36 pm
Level 20 : Expert Network
Sparthia
Terrible idea, no offense. Players aren't going to play on a pay-to-play server if they can just go to a huge server with thousands of players on and play for free. Even if you do have a p2p server, it would have barely anyone online.

HOWEVER: If you want to do this idea, I suggest having a network with a Prison server for example, and have a Premium Prison server which costs money to play on, so that way you give players the option of choosing where to play (on the premium prison or the regular).
06/26/2016 7:01 pm
LuisPM
bonnydust
LuisPMHello Everybody!

When I first started playing Minecraft, the first server I went on was a towny/iconomy/vanilla server. I believe that it was a great server because there were no more than about 30 people on at a time and everybody knew each other. I made a lot of friends on servers like this and I would like to bring it back.

Would anyone be willing to pay a small monthly fee of no more than $5 (Would be lower with less people) to play on a small, friendly server like stated above?

If you have another suggestion on helping pay for the server, please comment below your idea!

I simply pay to host my own server each month, its not that much and worth it to me as you do spend money on any hobby. I dont charge my members at all and we are very close to what you describe.... I would not pay myself (in the event I didnt have a server and was looking for somewhere to play) I might offer to donate towards hosting if I liked the place but I wouldnt like it being mandatory. I dont have ranks or anything on my server or ask for donations because I dont like things like this making players feel they are more important than any of the others on there.

If you'd like to check out my server send me a message.

Thank you for taking time to post! I will check out your server!
06/26/2016 4:43 am
Level 4 : Apprentice Explorer
bonnydust
LuisPMHello Everybody!

I simply pay to host my own server each month, its not that much and worth it to me as you do spend money on any hobby. I dont charge my members at all and we are very close to what you describe.... I would not pay myself (in the event I didnt have a server and was looking for somewhere to play) I might offer to donate towards hosting if I liked the place but I wouldnt like it being mandatory. I dont have ranks or anything on my server or ask for donations because I dont like things like this making players feel they are more important than any of the others on there.

If you'd like to check out my server send me a message.
06/26/2016 4:24 am
Level 25 : Expert Zombie
Halorules555
That's like Xbox Live...
06/25/2016 10:18 pm
Level 29 : Expert Lumberjack
Civeberg
I wouldn't use this thread as an accurate statistic for what you're asking. It would depend entirely on what the server is, if it's unique, etc.
06/26/2016 12:40 am
LuisPM
Yeah I wasn't planning on it. People wont get passed the fact that it costs money. It would be hard to determine the worth without an actual physical server. I just like to see peoples thoughts on the issue. Thanks!
06/25/2016 10:15 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Modder
Chickens4Life
Personally its a utterly stupid idea, its like minecraft story mode paying for the next 3 episode. Like why would someone want to waste money on a server you have to pay to stay. That money could used on more productive things.
06/26/2016 12:41 am
LuisPM
Thanks for your input!
06/25/2016 10:13 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
A fee each month? People could either go on a different server for free, or even buy there own.. (I would chose one of them options anyday).

Why would I Wanna pay for someones server unless its a OPTIONAL Donation not a forced one?.. Not that i have money to throw around but that's besides the point
06/26/2016 12:42 am
LuisPM
Thanks for your input!
06/26/2016 4:09 am
Level 15 : Journeyman Modder
Chickens4Life
Your Welcome!
06/24/2016 2:41 pm
Level 47 : Master Bear
Bear_
Simply

s t u p i d
06/25/2016 8:56 pm
LuisPM
There's no need for your comment to be here if you do not have anything intelligent to say.
06/24/2016 2:35 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
OneMagpie
Still....why would anyone want to spend more money to play on a server on a game you've already bought? Donations are one thing, but asking for money just to access a server, let alone a subscription will just make people not want to bother.
06/25/2016 8:55 pm
LuisPM
I see your point, thank you.
06/28/2016 1:42 pm
Level 34 : Artisan Birb
OneMagpie
No worries! I am impressed how optimistic you still are after how negative this thread has been, with an attitude like that your server's bound to do well

Good luck!
06/24/2016 12:46 pm
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
Well it's against the EULA anyway (thankfully)
06/24/2016 12:52 pm
Level 58 : Grandmaster Grump
Azie
No, it isn't.

https://mojang.com/2014/06/lets-talk-se ... etisation/

"You are allowed to charge players to access your server
Basically, if you’re charging for access to your server, you are selling a “ticket” and there can only be one type of ticket, regardless of how much people are willing to spend."
06/24/2016 12:20 pm
Level 27 : Expert Network
Pines
Depends on the quality
06/24/2016 12:22 pm
LuisPM
I can't sit here and tell you that it will be a good server because it would be based on my opinion. The quality would come from the players themselves as well as the friendly staff members. I believe what makes a great server is the friends you make and the friendly staff.
06/24/2016 12:25 pm
Level 27 : Expert Network
Pines
I meant builds, spawn, staff, etc
06/24/2016 12:27 pm
LuisPM
I guess that's up for you to decide if I decide to make the server
06/24/2016 12:18 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
kdude321
So you are saying that it would be better to pay by donating?[/quote]
I'm saying have options for players to donate, make sure its not Pay2Win, but make there be perks. Again, why would I pay to play on something I can find somewhere else for free. It would be like buying lemonade for 1$ when there's a free lemonade stand next to it.[/quote]

The idea for making it a small fee was because I do not want to risk making the game unfair for others if they donate for something like you stated above. But I see where you are coming from. Thanks for your input![/quote]

Its all about making the items fair. U gotta make sure its fair before releasing it, it will take some work but is worth it. Good luck on the server
06/24/2016 12:08 pm
Aleja
why would I pay money to play on a server when there are thousands of free servers out there? Even if the server is great, with a bit of searching you can easily find amazing server to play on for free.
06/24/2016 12:11 pm
LuisPM
This was just an idea. I know it is possible to find a server that can be considered good, but it is very difficult from my experience looking for a good server. But then again, there is no saying that this server would be good at all. It's all up to the players to decide on that. I appreciate your input!
06/24/2016 12:05 pm
kdude321
Lol no, not when I can just go join one for free. Servers pay there upkeep by donations, so you may have something like the plugin where you can make yourself into an enderdragon, for say 5$. Or a creeper, for say 2$. Charging a monthly fee is ridiculous though lol.
06/24/2016 12:07 pm
LuisPM
So you are saying that it would be better to pay by donating?
06/24/2016 12:21 pm
LuisPM
I'm saying have options for players to donate, make sure its not Pay2Win, but make there be perks. Again, why would I pay to play on something I can find somewhere else for free. It would be like buying lemonade for 1$ when there's a free lemonade stand next to it.[/quote]

The idea for making it a small fee was because I do not want to risk making the game unfair for others if they donate for something like you stated above. But I see where you are coming from. Thanks for your input![/quote]

Its all about making the items fair. U gotta make sure its fair before releasing it, it will take some work but is worth it. Good luck on the server [/quote]

Thank you!
06/24/2016 12:09 pm
kdude321
I'm saying have options for players to donate, make sure its not Pay2Win, but make there be perks. Again, why would I pay to play on something I can find somewhere else for free. It would be like buying lemonade for 1$ when there's a free lemonade stand next to it.
06/24/2016 12:14 pm
LuisPM
The idea for making it a small fee was because I do not want to risk making the game unfair for others if they donate for something like you stated above. But I see where you are coming from. Thanks for your input!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome