Time for Minecraft 2?

Jnaejnae's Avatar Jnaejnae12/5/16 7:41 am
1 emeralds 3.9k 135
12/27/2016 4:45 pm
RichardMcKee's Avatar RichardMcKee
A little less than a year ago I burnt out on Minecraft, I come back and the community is half of what it was. All the big minecraft youtubers post less or not at all, and get way less views. Even here, only 2 minecraft discussions forums were made yesterday? The game still has a playerbase, but its a sliver of what I remember. The game is not dead yet, but its getting close. Even Mojang looks bored. 1.11 was so underwheming, here is the addition notes:

"+ Added cursed enchantments+ Added the Observer block+ Added escape portals in The End + Added the Shulker Shell and Shulker Box + Added exploration maps + Added the Woodland Mansion + Added Illagers, and the Vex + Added Llamas + New command: /locate - Removed Herobrine"

Thats less than 10 additions! Updates are being more and more neglectful.

From these Observations, I have concluded that about now would be the perfect time to release a sequel. Will they do it? Probably not. But the last window for a sequel should be when people have largely lost interest in the original, which seems to be now. I do hope to get a little more involved again, but It really does sadden me that Minecraft is fading, and my last flicker of hope is in a sequel that may never come.
Jnaejnae
Level 38 : Artisan Architect

Create an account or sign in to comment.

12/27/2016 4:45 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Explorer
RichardMcKee
Well umm, no comment?...
12/26/2016 4:21 pm
Level 10 : Journeyman Narwhal
inactiveaccount1
I really don't see why this thread is still so active when it's obvious that there will never be a "Minecraft 2". A Minecraft sequel would be an obvious cash-grab on Mojang's part, not to mention it's a stupid idea, taking into consideration that Minecraft never had a story line. There's nothing new that a sequel could provide that couldn't be made possible in a future Minecraft update. I agree with some of the previous posters, Minecraft is getting rather bloated with all the recent useless updates that really have no purpose in normal gameplay, and I would love it if updates in the future were more well thought-out and actually had a point. However, I disagree with the idea that Minecraft's playerbase is shrinking. Hundreds of people buy the game on PC alone every day, so it's not leaving anytime soon.
12/26/2016 5:16 pm
Level 40 : Master Explorer
avrona
Exactly. A sequel will hurt more then help. Plus like I said earlier:

There is not enough to expand opon to merit paying more. And it's not one of those games that leaves you out in the dirt. As soon as you whip out that £17.95 from your card or PayPall, you're on your own with the game, they have your money and you are no longer needed. But not Mojang, who add more and more awesome free stuff often, acutally caring for their tens of millions of fans, unlike so many other companies. Sure, MC is not a flawless game, but it's getting closer and closer, and flaws are being killed off quicker and quicker. Broken combat? BAM! Fixed in 1.9. Nothing to do in the End when you killed the dragon? BAM! Now you can resurrect him and explore the Ender Isles. Not enough things to help you in expeditions? BAM! Added exploration maps. Armour and weapons dropped by skeletons and zombies is useless because it is so week? BAM! You can now recycle it in furnaces. The list goes on and on. And if you can't appreciate all that Mojang does for you, you should not have the privilage to play such an outstanding and inspiring game like Minecraft.
12/26/2016 11:45 am
avrona
CaptainEvstike
avrona
(similar to how they slammed in over a dozen mostly unused arrow types) is something I don't see the point in.

I actually use the new arrows and they are very useful. But spears are just a big no.

I just get them from creative. Too hard to understand how to make them. I know the answer to these, but. Are they enchantments for arrows, brewable, craftable?

It's crafted with a lingering potion. Place 8 arrows around any lingering potion in the middle to create 8 tipped arrows, or 4 glowstone in a + shape around an arrow in the middle to make 2 (even though you only use 1 arrow) spectral arrows. These arrows are still consumed by infinity bows. Simple.
12/26/2016 11:03 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Warrior
CaptainEvstike
avrona
(similar to how they slammed in over a dozen mostly unused arrow types) is something I don't see the point in.

I actually use the new arrows and they are very useful. But spears are just a big no.

I just get them from creative. Too hard to understand how to make them. I know the answer to these, but. Are they enchantments for arrows, brewable, craftable?
12/26/2016 10:47 am
avrona

12/26/2016 10:37 am
CaptainEvstike
Nitwick(Smilar to how they slammed in over a dozen mostly unused arrow types) is something I don't see the point in.

They could do more with spectral arrows, they are underused and useless after 1.9. People probably forgot they existed. Less combat hiders with cooldowns now. Spectral arrows could give the target nerfed god-apple effects. So it's: Player becomes visible, but they now have regen and absorption (low level and time). There should also be a spectral potion. A nerfed god apple potion that also makes the user visible. So they get a boost. But they can be seen through walls. Everything comes at a cost...
12/26/2016 6:23 am
Level 2 : Apprentice Crafter
DarkReptile1010
One simple addition will save minecraft. Spears.
12/26/2016 10:20 am
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
How.
12/26/2016 9:22 am
CaptainEvstike
Nope, I don't see the point of them... Literally the point of the spear LOL, sorry. They will either be long ranged weapons, or thrown swords. They need more than that. A new strategy, not one simple item.
12/26/2016 10:21 am
Level 29 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
I'm not supporting either perspective but when I think of a spear I think of a long ranged weapon that can be thrown. A spear was meant to do both, a javelin though is only meant to be thrown.
12/26/2016 10:29 am
raidarr
For the purposes of vanilla, we already have melee and ranged combat mechanics. In mods, perhaps, it has more viability; but throwing in spears almost out of context (similar to how they slammed in over a dozen mostly unused arrow types) is something I don't see the point in.
12/26/2016 10:04 am
avrona
Plus it just seems like something from a mod, not really Minecrafty.
12/26/2016 10:08 am
CaptainEvstike
Ya, not original enough. Seems like a mod item with a texture pack on. How will that save Minecraft.
12/26/2016 10:20 am
avrona
Click to reveal
It won't.
12/26/2016 5:47 am
avrona
There is no point making a sequel for a sandbox game. There is not enough to expand opon to merit paying more. And it's not one of those games that leaves you out in the dirt. As soon as you whip out that £17.95 from your card or PayPall, you're on your own with the game, they have your money and you are no longer needed. But not Mojang, who add more and more awesome free stuff often, acutally caring for their tens of millions of fans, unlike so many other companies. Sure, MC is not a flawless game, but it's getting closer and closer, and flaws are being killed off quicker and quicker. Broken combat? BAM! Fixed in 1.9. Nothing to do in the End when you killed the dragon? BAM! Now you can resurrect him and explore the Ender Isles. Not enough things to help you in expeditions? BAM! Added exploration maps. Armour and weapons dropped by skeletons and zombies is useless because it is so week? BAM! You can now recycle it in furnaces. The list goes on and on. And if you can't appreciate all that Mojang does for you, you should not have the privilage to play such an outstanding and inspiring game like Minecraft.
12/26/2016 5:28 am
Level 1 : New Miner
Hosfac
I see absolutely no reason for a sequel. It's not like there's a storyline to continue or expand upon. It wouldn't be much more than a money-grab.
12/24/2016 5:31 pm
CaptainEvstike
I don't think Minecraft needs a sequel but they need to remarket themselves. They need a big update or trailer that changes the image of the game. People don't want it because they think it's just building & surviving, but servers are a HUGE part in it. They should make more plugin support. A lot of these mods are farfetched and should be kept as mods, like Tornado mod. They need better APIs and a new image of the game. They just need to change that "Endless Possibilities" to a "Come join to experience these features"
12/20/2016 5:17 pm
Level 22 : Expert Skinner
xXSlayXx
So why is he trying to ridicule me like I'm the one who is saying things no one agrees with?
12/20/2016 3:23 pm
xXSlayXx
Has anyone said Minecraft 2 was a good idea yet?
12/20/2016 3:26 pm
raidarr
No sign of them. :p
12/11/2016 9:03 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Procrastinator
AtmosCailean
I get what you mean, but things come and go. And even though a lot of us don't want it to be this way, Minecraft's online fanbase is disappearing.
12/11/2016 10:57 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Network
Flappo
Not really.
Thousands of copies are still sold every day on the pc only!
So for everyone who goes away, there's at least 2 new ones.
12/12/2016 4:41 pm
Level 27 : Expert Engineer
HisBlockyness
If you want to see where Minecraft might go, look at PAC-MAN. It's a video game almost universally regarded as a classic that came out 34 years ago now. It still has a big playerbase because it has been ported to all sorts of platforms. If I went around asking young people if they had played PAC-MAN a lot of them would say yes. If I went around asking people if they have played the original arcade machine only a few would say yes. Minecraft isn't just going to fizzle out in the next year or two. The PC edition may, but Pocket Edition and console versions are still going strong. Because it has been ported to so many devices, new players will discover it and play it on their who-knows-whats. I'm not saying I like all these ports, but they are sure gonna keep Minecraft alive for a good long time.
12/10/2016 8:18 pm
Level 38 : Artisan Farmer
Mishkia
Tbh, I'm just waiting for this to become a flame war. Seems like its turning from a banter to a flame war, to me at least.
So, I'm just going to put my 2 cents in, and leave. Please, do not get offended because I didn't exactly read anything, so I don't know whats already been said.
If you're going to argue with me, please read bold things before making an accusation as to what I'm saying, and remember I am literally not coming back to this thread, but I may read replies, but that's it. Also please remember I'm trying to make this as neutral as possible.

As for Minecraft 2, and what I'd like to see in it, if they did make it, and stopped updating this one, I'd like to see more magic related things and more dragons, I know there's mods for it but personally I'd enjoy seeing it implementing in Mojangs own way. And for those going "It doesn't fit in its genre" then why are there potions that do magical effects? Why is there an ender dragon that does some form of magic? So yeah...
However, the way I see updating happening (In terms to "Updates are getting smaller" is that they're literally just working on stuff and whatever gets done is released, sometimes adding in just these tiny bug releases, or unrelated things, whereas the bigger updates are like, they got something done and because Joe's working on something that related quite well to what Cindy just finished, and same as Tom or George, then once everything's done that matches with it they release it as a whole update, but the smaller ones are them showing that they aren't dead, and they're still working on stuff, instead of working on this large update with all of these things implemented at once. Remember though, that's how I see its happening, because to me it kinda looks like that instead of they plan every little detail.

As for combat, if they made it where its like combat roll, poke poke poke, combat role, block that sort of thing I feel like it'd become way too much of a button smashing game, and it isn't the feel that they intend for Minecraft to have as Minecraft's supposed to be like an appeal to anybody and everybody type thing, not just a certain genre, and personally I can see how adding a larger more complex combat system can make certain people leave MC as it'd also interfere with fighting mobs in a casual survival, and it'd probably become a too much like an rpg type game than a sandbox type game. But if it was implemented well, along with the boss ideas some people have, but then also still everybody-friendly, I can see how it can work.

So...yeah. Mind you, a lot of this is personal opinion. I will not be coming back to this thread, I just wanted to send this boat into the ocean that is this thread. Bai.
12/10/2016 6:19 pm
xXSlayXx
Wait, did you seriously just comment a second time about my previous posts because I said it was funny re-reading this all? My failures? Have you even read the other posts?
EVERYONE disagrees with you! Minecraft 2 is a silly idea, and it's been said again and again by people on this thread, me included. I was laughing at the whole thread in general, not at you, goober. If someone feels they are being foolish, then observe laughter, they get paranoid it was at them. Just like if you just stole something small from a store and walked out and hear sirens, you would probably be startled. If you think you deserve my laughter, you can have it. Stop embarrassing myself?! If one other person, besides an alt of you, tells me I'm wrong, I'll stop posting here and admit to it. If you could say the same, this thread would have died out already, because several people have called you out for rude conduct and overall foolishness. You do nothing but mindlessly give points that are irrelevant or proved wrong, but insist you are right regardless, openly mocking those who disagree still and argue against. I'm not gonna type anything more, before I say some things you'll regret.

Here's the laughter I promised:
12/11/2016 9:21 am
Jnaejnae
Well no, i said you are laughing at your own failures not at me, so either you are illiterate or you are still projecting. You could not defend a single point you made, but you keep coming back to pat yourself on the back for how reasonable you are for doing nothing but call me rude in a rude way.

Jedi, you must have not read the context. He called me rude, rudely, so I called him a hypocrite, I didnt say I wasnt rude. I match my politeness with the person I address. No irony at all.

Jamitriss. Thank you for the constructive ideas. I dont think I would mind magic, but to me deviates from the theme a bit too much in my opinion. I would prefer advanced physics, and new ways to customize blocks like some way to make simple furniture and other objects. Other things like this would add depth to the current theme of building. While magic would be pretty unique for a survival/sandbox game, its personally not a theme I would prefer. I would say the same thing to a modern minecraft with cities and planes, it would be fun, but deviates more from the theme than expands the current theme. Which is what I think a sequel should prioritize.
12/11/2016 8:54 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pokemon
JediJerboa
You kinda set yourself up for this one.

From now on, I'm just going to LOL myself to death with this onslaught of Warhammer 40K memes. Enjoy them while it lasts!
12/10/2016 5:03 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Narwhal
Oshiire-P
No.

Nonononono.

I have almost every edition of Minecraft out there, and I'm not willing to pay for it all again.

Every skin pack.
Every mashup pack
Every texture pack.

So, so expensive. If Minecraft 2 comes out, I won't be willing to buy everything again, and as the original Minecraft would probably be dead, I'd stop playing that too.

I hate Minecraft YouTubers, the only thing I like about Minecraft is actually playing it, I'm not interested in anything 'real'.

I feel very, very passionately about this. If Minecraft is dead, then they shouldn't try to revive it. Just let it go peacefully like so very few things do.

(Besides, 1.11 added in something pretty big, the Woodland Mansions are amazing and the Llamas are cute.)
12/10/2016 4:04 am
Level 8 : Apprentice Explorer
KingQT
Agree this game is dying fr.
12/09/2016 11:33 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
Xtreme17
I think minecraft is still as fantastic as the day it came out. The game is far far far away from dead. A dead game is one no one plays anymore, or is so old that people forget about it.

Minecraft is a game many have heard of and no one will forget about for ages to come.

As for a minecraft sequel? I would say it is a little too early to talk about that. The game keeps me plenty busy as it is. I have had minecraft since alpha and have played classic before then.

If you're burnt out that's your problem. There is so much to do, infinite world infinite possibilities, if you can think it you can build it and make it happen. That's why minecraft is so great. It is completely normal for a game to lose it's hype as it ages. That doesn't mean the game is obsolete, people's interests are fickle and sway with the wind. Hype never lasts forever.
12/09/2016 11:19 pm
raidarr
/flamethrower repellent on

Win 10 MC =/= MC 2...
12/09/2016 11:31 pm
Jnaejnae
Well it implemented a lot of what I imagined a sequel would, codded in a different language, menu overhaul, modding api, mutliplayer enhancements, and preformance enhancements. I think Mojang doesnt want it to look like a sequel, but I think they hope to essentially replace the java version with it down the line. I guess it would be a more traditional sequel if it added a lot of content like I hoped, but on every other grounds it looks like a sequel.
12/09/2016 9:37 pm
Jnaejnae
You were just projecting the entire time. A lot of what I was hoping for a sequel I found is already forming in the Windows 10 edition, which is free making your point about money completely irrelevant, and it adds things an update to the Java version couldnt do, like xbox live integration, addons, and better optimization, which proves you wrong on everything else.

You can try to laugh away your failure. But realize that it only makes you more of a hypocrite for calling me rude. Stop embarrassing yourself.
12/10/2016 7:23 pm
JediJerboa
So you're telling us you're not rude with a rude tone in your voice? A little ironic, no? And I have joined everyone and burst into a laughing fit at my own embarrassment. It's been a stressful week in my life, so getting the chance to laugh my head off is a blessing. So I must thank you all for providing me with the remedy of humor that always brightens my day. And no JediJerboa finishing post is complete without a Warhammer 40K meme!
12/09/2016 9:13 pm
xXSlayXx
Just re-reading all the goofiness going 'round in this thread
12/09/2016 2:53 am
Level 10 : Journeyman Dragon
brostermedia
Jnaejnae works better against shielding players.

Hitting another player who is blocking with a shield has a chance to disable the player's shield for 5 seconds.

something like this?

because that is already in the game, only for axes though
12/08/2016 7:27 pm
Jnaejnae
When I refer to power attacks, I do not mean that they do insane damage I was thinking it would have a start up time, and works better against shielding players. Like so when you are shielding and they go to charge attack you can quickly put down your shield and do a quick strike to cancel the power attack. Or if they manage to power attack you while your shielding, you shield will be disabled for just enough time for them to get in a real attack.

It would be very hard to use against the bosses anyways because all current ones fly, making melee attacks generally weak. I think it would make more sense to add this attack if some mobs got shields too. But yeah, thats how I see a power attack working. As a counter to an overly defensive person or mob more than anything else.

As for the word lie, english is a complex thing, most words have multiple definition, and while intentional false information is often the first definition, my use of the word is in another entry. I used the word properly, but I guess I should have said misunderstand to be more clear anyways.
12/08/2016 6:05 pm
inactiveaccount1
A lie is deliberate false information given to a person/party in order to deceive. An unintentional "lie" in your definition would be an "error" or "mistake".

I'm not gonna press the issue any further, for your sake, but either Google or you are dead wrong, and I'm leaning towards the latter.

Where were we again? Oh yes, the issue of whether Minecraft does indeed have healing bosses, which it most certainly does have.
12/08/2016 7:13 pm
JediJerboa
I corrected that earlier on. I'm referring to bosses who can heal no matter what you do to them, especially at low health.
12/08/2016 5:51 pm
JediJerboa
JohnSolo
JediJerboa
dazalius

No, you are wrong a LIE can only be made intentionally, you cant "accidentally tell a lie you can give incorrect or false information, but if you don't know that the information is false then it isn't a lie its just a mistake.

A lie is defined as an inaccurate or false statement. It doesn't always have to be intentional to be false. Trust me, I'm not lying. But seriously, look it up in the dictionary if you are curious.

lie: 1. an intentionally false statement

A lie is not unintentional; in that case, it would be a mistake, or a misunderstanding. One does not intentionally make a mistake. Google it, mate; this is primary school stuff.

I see. You believe there to be one definition of lie in its noun form. The English language is a tricky thing, you know? Also, the normal way humans speak twists some words around. In normal use, a "lie" represents false information. As annoying as it may be to you or I, that's just how people define things.

Also, why did you have to further a trivial argument like this? I honestly don't care to further such petty issues, so both of our sakes, I suggest we both acknowledge our faults and abandon them in the dust.
12/08/2016 5:30 pm
inactiveaccount1
JediJerboa
dazalius
JnaejnaeFex. A lie is a false statement that is either made intentionally or unintentionally. Your understanding was wrong..

No, you are wrong a LIE can only be made intentionally, you cant "accidentally tell a lie you can give incorrect or false information, but if you don't know that the information is false then it isn't a lie its just a mistake.

A lie is defined as an inaccurate or false statement. It doesn't always have to be intentional to be false. Trust me, I'm not lying. But seriously, look it up in the dictionary if you are curious.

lie: 1. an intentionally false statement.

A lie is not unintentional; in that case, it would be a mistake, or a misunderstanding. One does not intentionally make a mistake. Google it, mate; this is primary school stuff.
12/08/2016 2:33 pm
JediJerboa
dazalius
JnaejnaeFex. A lie is a false statement that is either made intentionally or unintentionally. Your understanding was wrong..

12/08/2016 2:14 pm
Level 11 : Journeyman Mage
dazalius

12/08/2016 12:41 pm
JediJerboa
I meant that the boss heals no matter what you do, making them extremely hard to fight. This especially refers to the bosses that like to heal up before the final blow. I'm looking at you, Dragon Slayer Ornstein and Executioner Smough.
12/08/2016 11:40 am
striker107
Prince Oceanus
JediJerboaMinecraft Combat doesn't have any healing bosses.

It has the Ender Dragon that heals from the Ender Crystals, and I'm pretty sure the Wither heals during its fight.

Yes Prince Oceanus the Wither does heal.
12/08/2016 11:24 am
Level 52 : Grandmaster Prince
Prince Oceanus
JediJerboaMinecraft Combat doesn't have any healing bosses.

It has the Ender Dragon that heals from the Ender Crystals, and I'm pretty sure the Wither heals during its fight.
12/08/2016 9:48 am
raidarr
FEX___96When did I lie? As I stated it was a random opinion, opinions can change anytime.

Random opinions should have backbones behind them. If you have an opinion, stick with it; if you flake out and use the fact it's an opinion as an excuse, it's not worth reading...
12/08/2016 9:26 am
JediJerboa
Jnaejnae
Yes Minecraft is a building game not a combat game, which is why spam clicking has been acceptable, and why no matter what the combat, it cannot "ruin" the game as long as it is kept balanced against mobs.

1.9 Combat is basically a rhythm game with one button. Press too early or too late and you do less damage. No other sword based game does this, instead they just have a flat slow firing rate with higher damage. This is MORE simple and MORE effective. Combat roles was a mere suggestion of a game with sword combat, I dont think its the best for Minecraft because it tends to function better on strict 3rd person games.

None the less you can prefer any combat you like. If you do continue please present actual arguments. There are valid reasons against combat rolls like it being in first person, but you instead say that combat rolls were made only for the difficulty of dark souls, when really that is just a fixable balance complaint, 1.9 made armor less effective to compensate for shields. To make combat rolls balanced all that would need to be changed is mobs ability to catch up (increase creeper and zombie's speed a bit) I still think a very basic rate of fire and damage is the best way to go, combat rolls, charge attacks, and block staggering are just examples of popular sword games.

Minecraft Combat doesn't have any healing bosses, varying attacks, or tough armor to smash through. They just come at you and throw their normal attack at you. There is no need for any special attacks or combat rolls. Also, just because Minecraft combat requires a rhythm, that doesn't make it a rhythm game. Swinging a sword requires timing normally, so I find the feature to be pretty nice.
12/08/2016 8:11 am
striker107
JnaejnaeStriker, a cooldown is waiting period where you cannot use an ability, minecraft has a pseudo cooldown as you actually can attack no matter the time between your last swing, but you are penalized.

I use the term firing speed to distinguish strict cooldowns as compared to minecraft's gradual cooldown. Cooldown is a pretty general term so sorry if I didnt clarify earlier. Ive been suggesting the type of cooldown you refer to from the beginning, stating that it should have a slower standard firing speed rather than punishing the speed you choose to fire.

I understand that now, thank you for clarifying. And I apologize for any prior inconveniences on my part.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome