C++

Phant0m Fighter's Avatar Phant0m Fighter4/23/17 5:30 pm
1 emeralds 1.5k 14
5/1/2017 2:31 am
SensorialGlint6's Avatar SensorialGlint6
What are your thoughts on C++ coming to Minecraft PC Good? Bad?
Phant0m Fighter
Level 10 : Journeyman Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/01/2017 2:04 am
Level 44 : Master Crafter
SensorialGlint6
The are no mentions of Java version receiving C++ anytime yet. Only MCPE(Win10) edition will get C++ through bedrock launcher update.
04/30/2017 2:32 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Architect
subpartikel
I don't know...

C++ is an okay language, not too good or bad. It's pretty old, and trusted by many developers. However, it may kind of ruin Minecraft PC, having it been run by Java for about 6 years. I love the language, but I definitly would not agree on having MCPC run by C++, because over 80% of Minecraft's mods are Java-like.

Great question though.
-Spat1z1m3r
04/30/2017 2:10 pm
Level 18 : Journeyman Engineer
MCxJB
LukeSky5000
Downsides however would be, as others have mentioned, C++ is an older language which means that some aspects would be harder to do.

C is 45 years old and is still being used by today in things like Android and stuff. Don't think the age of the language is a problem seen as C++ has stood pretty strong against time, especially with Game Developers. I think C++ would be more than capable of achieving what Minecraft offers.
04/27/2017 6:43 pm
Level 37 : Artisan Engineer
LukeSky5000
Okay so first of all, I'd like to see your source for saying that minecraft will be updated to c++ because Minecraft Windows 10 is in c++ yet I can find zero references to Minecraft PC being updated to windows 10.

I ask this because to re-write the pc version is c++ is just an out right bad idea. I say this because you cannot run C, C++ nor C# natively on mac or Linux and while that is a smaller portion of the game market place, its the whole reason why there is a PC ( personal computer ) edition. I believe Mojang is working on making PC edition and Windows 10 edition compatable, however that would be difficult yet, not impossible because C# was based on Java, Java was based on C++ and C++ was based on C meaning that at the basics, they share many similarities. This leaves the question would C++ make the game run faster? In some aspects potentially while in others maybe not. Yes, C++ would have the advantage of instead of going from java -> c++ -> c -> x86 you're going from c++ -> c -> x86. Also you have the benefit of working in more of what you could consider to be the base programming language to java. Downsides however would be, as others have mentioned, C++ is an older language which means that some aspects would be harder to do.

And to the person who said that all mods and plugins were already made and are done and people should only be doing addons, you must remember, every update adds to the game and can add the need or want for a new mod or plugin.
04/27/2017 11:20 am
Level 18 : Journeyman Engineer
MCxJB
This is the first I have heard of it too lol. But I really welcome C++ with open arms. When I first played Minecraft, it blew my mind that the it was written in Java. Java is such a high level language, and it doesn't let you get down low with memory by using pointers and things. It has its uses and is an awesome language for a lot of things, but for a 3d game, I thought it was nuts.

The first thing I noticed when playing the Xbox version of Minecraft was that it ran smoother in my eyes. It was written in C# for the Xbox. Java typically runs faster but C# wins on memory usage.

A tonne of game engines are written in C++ and it is the go to language for a lot of game studios, (like Rockstar's RAGE engine and Valve's Source engine). They use it because it is really efficient when it comes to memory. You can dynamically assign memory at runtime and also access variables through pointers (accessing a value by going to its exact address in memory).

So C++ will make Minecraft so much faster. Yea it might piss some people off because they may have to re write things, but if you are a good programmer with the right OO knowledge, it shouldn't be an issue.

(However C++ is a great deal harder to learn then Java, but once you learn it, things get so much easier)

My two cents anyway lol
04/24/2017 11:11 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
nathanfranke
To be honest, with all of the plugins and mods already developed, they should work on making addons (like mods and plugins) easier to make, so that it is not such a hassle.
04/24/2017 12:05 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
Java is certainly different from C++. Zit summed it up pretty well. Java is more flexible platform wise, but more obnoxious to work with if you want to do more things "your way" so to speak. The architecture is completely different unless Mojang wants to create something C++ that is extremely similar to Java... which I don't see happening. Meaning virtually no mod compatibility. I prefer C++ core programs - plainly harder to work with, but if a good developer is behind it, I'd take it any day over something made in Java.
04/24/2017 4:38 am
Level 75 : Legendary Gent
Zitzabis
C++ generally seems to be better in terms of memory management and stuff. For the most part it allows you to get very deep handling of things and you aren't relying on the Java language to handle some of those pre-made components.

While C++ is harder, it is more optimal.

As for their differences, there is a fair amount of differences in their project structures. Their syntax is also different is Java is a dedicated object orientated language whereas C++ kind of...supports it.

With the community, it does mean quite a few things will break but Mojang is not dropping Java so it's not a huge concern. Devs would start making mods for both versions, Forge will release a C++ version, etc.
04/24/2017 4:17 am
Level 71 : Legendary Alien
exline
C++ and java are not too different right? So I think its kinda pointless. However, it would give me a reason to learn some c++ i guess.
05/01/2017 2:31 am
Level 44 : Master Crafter
SensorialGlint6
To answer this I shall leave this list:

Development languages according to complexity:

1. Forth
2. Smalltalk
3. Scheme
4. Go
5. Python
6. PHP
7. C
8. Java
9. C#
10. Ruby
11. Perl
12. JavaScript
13. Haskell
14. Swift
15. Scala
16. C++

There is a reason we game devs prefer C++ over Java, not only for its age but for its complexity. It would be hard to see that implemented to Java version thought as any server which run C++ will most likely be inaccessible for players running Java.
But if they do manage to find a way, I can see a benefit in terms of better and even more complex plugins available for servers and therefore ability to create even better and interesting servers. But if would be a massive learning step for current devs who only know Java.
04/28/2017 8:05 pm
Level 77 : Legendary Robot
PrototypeTheta
C++ is an older, lower level language than Java. Should run a bit faster as well.

ZitzabisDevs would start making mods for both versions

I'm honestly not convinced this will happen, at least not to the extent that one might think. If we were in the hypothetical timeline where both a Java version and C++ version co-exist I completely believe that the C++ version would receive comparatively little modding support from the community (see the divide caused by the changes made after 1.7.10). Unless of course, a modding API is implemented, but I'll just flat out say that this won't happen. I will gladly eat my hat if it does.

Basically C++ will benefit vanilla, but I personally believe mainstream modding will likely stay on java for a very long time, assuming mods even become practical for the C++ version.
04/23/2017 10:12 pm
Level 26 : Expert Princess
star_weaver
this is the first ive heard about it, but id say it would be good in how well it runs and not so good in ways what people already know
04/24/2017 2:30 am
Level 24 : Expert Button Pusher
Azrath
I have no idea how it works but Minecraft works fine for me right now too + there are tons of mods that would get dropped just because if the thing is true OR there still be a java version of Minecraft with all mods still getting updated.
04/23/2017 9:57 pm
Level 36 : Artisan Pixel Painter
Jakarian Studios
Bad, think about what would happen to Forge and all the other mods!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome