Trash or nah Idk??

t3k9in3's Avatar t3k9in35/27/17 10:16 pm
1 emeralds 592 9
5/30/2017 5:31 pm
Nighthearted's Avatar Nighthearted
can't decide if I should give up or if this has potential? This is the first painting I've started since I graduated high school almost three years ago. Literally haven't painted since 2015, my confidence is not that great in it and I would like some other perspectives on this WIP to determine whether I should start painting again or not..
thank you xo
http://imgur.com/Pe9OhRs

oh yeah it's a link bc img tag made it too large. when I paint, I tend to Max out resolution for detail purposes.
t3k9in3
Level 20 : Expert Hunter

Create an account or sign in to comment.

05/30/2017 5:31 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Pixel Painter
Nighthearted
THANK YOU SO MUCH ASDFGHJKL; I use a custom version of paint tool and the selection wand is my best friend but even with color difference at 0 it still gives me white spots and I end up missing some. thank you so much for this feedback, this will definitely help me. I so came to the right place!!

No problem! I'm always happy to help out other artists.

I think I might have some solutions for the white spots.
With large, detailed pictures, it can be difficult to see all the tiny little spots where the fill bucket missed, especially when filling in light colors on a white background.

Doesn't look like any spots missed here, right?

One thing I like to do is add a temporary, bright colored background to make the holes more visible.

It's much easier to clean up this way. I also like to quickly hide/show the background a few times when I finish just to make sure I've got all the spots.
05/28/2017 6:40 pm
Level 72 : Legendary Pixel Painter
Nighthearted
Although this piece does have some issues, it's no reason to give up drawing entirely. You're already very skilled and definitely have the potential to improve even more.

To begin with, this is a very nicely detailed drawing, and the overall impression it gives is good. All those ruffles look really amazing. ^^ Some things I would recommend to improve this piece (which would probably require re-drawing it) would be to make use of the smoothing/stabilization features of your art program, especially for long strokes. (Assuming, of course that your program has it) If not, with some practice, you can learn to make your strokes more quickly and as a result, more smoothly. (Ctrl+Z is your best friend here ^^) The lines and coloring seem to be a bit shaky, and there are several white spots where the fill bucket missed. My advice would just be to go as slowly as you need to, don't rush anything until you're confident enough to.

Another thing I'd recommend is to change the pressure settings of your brush. To me, the brush strokes seem to have a rather rounded end shape, not a sharp one. I've made a quick little tutorial here to demo: http://imgur.com/a/EKbLZ

As for the line work, although it's pretty standard for anime/manga style drawings to use a uniform line width, they usually have some additional refinements added. For example, the lines are usually thickened a bit near interior corners, to create a sense of shadow. (example in the imgur album)

You should definitely continue to draw/paint. You're already on the right track, just keep on practicing.
05/28/2017 3:25 pm
Level 64 : High Grandmaster Princess
Havingfun_ISKEY
Like Lola said, her pose looks rather unnatural, but aside from that, it looks cute.
05/28/2017 3:18 pm
Level 40 : Master Goblin
Lola
Eh, I'd advice you to do some body studies to study body proportions and realistic poses. Her back looks broken. The color is also rather harsh. Your work looks good already but starting over might work better. Also, if YOU can't do a certain pose, nor will your character.
Good luck and don't give up
05/29/2017 4:51 pm
t3k9in3
THANK YOU!!!!! i agree. sometimes if i do it over two or three times the dimensions finally look right. I'm so sucky when it comes to poses, I can never figure out something realistic. thank you for the feedback!!!

NightheartedAlthough this piece does have some issues, it's no reason to give up drawing entirely. You're already very skilled and definitely have the potential to improve even more.

To begin with, this is a very nicely detailed drawing, and the overall impression it gives is good. All those ruffles look really amazing. ^^ Some things I would recommend to improve this piece (which would probably require re-drawing it) would be to make use of the smoothing/stabilization features of your art program, especially for long strokes. (Assuming, of course that your program has it) If not, with some practice, you can learn to make your strokes more quickly and as a result, more smoothly. (Ctrl+Z is your best friend here ^^) The lines and coloring seem to be a bit shaky, and there are several white spots where the fill bucket missed. My advice would just be to go as slowly as you need to, don't rush anything until you're confident enough to.

Another thing I'd recommend is to change the pressure settings of your brush. To me, the brush strokes seem to have a rather rounded end shape, not a sharp one. I've made a quick little tutorial here to demo: http://imgur.com/a/EKbLZ

As for the line work, although it's pretty standard for anime/manga style drawings to use a uniform line width, they usually have some additional refinements added. For example, the lines are usually thickened a bit near interior corners, to create a sense of shadow. (example in the imgur album)

You should definitely continue to draw/paint. You're already on the right track, just keep on practicing.

[sorry for the double post]

THANK YOU SO MUCH ASDFGHJKL; I use a custom version of paint tool and the selection wand is my best friend but even with color difference at 0 it still gives me white spots and I end up missing some. thank you so much for this feedback, this will definitely help me. I so came to the right place!!
05/28/2017 1:48 pm
Level 20 : Expert Network
Sparthia
Dang that is so good!
05/28/2017 11:28 am
t3k9in3
thanks guys haha, i'll take this into consideration!! thanks a bunch!!
05/27/2017 11:00 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Miner
anonpmc792389
[deleted]
05/27/2017 10:55 pm
Level 42 : Master Dragonborn
IndyJacksonTT
Looks really good!
You should make more!
But, if you're looking to make a living off of it, you will NOT make much money, unless you made the next Mona Lisa!
Hey, listen to me on this, you could be a professional anime character designer!
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome