Weird file/directory in C:\ (root of C drive)

Dr_Steve's Avatar Dr_Steve8/1/15 8:36 pm
1 emeralds 602 4
8/4/2015 10:45 am
Dr_Steve's Avatar Dr_Steve
So, a while ago, I saw a weird directory in C:\ and inside it was "MRT.exe" which appears to be the MSRT (Malisious Software Removal Tool), and I scanned it for viruses; it said it was clean, but I still deleted it and the directory. Was that legit, or was that a virus?

PS: I was using Windows 7

PPS: It also happened on a Windows 8 PC, except it said that it was a virus sig. stub, or something, and was digitally signed. Was that also a virus

PPPS: I don't remember downloading/visiting/executing anything malicious back then
Dr_Steve
Level 43 : Master Creeper

Create an account or sign in to comment.

08/01/2015 11:27 pm
Level 5 : Apprentice Network
Code_7
even though you deleted the file, you'll just end up downloading it next month.

everyone downloads a slimmed down version via windows update. the full version is in the link Kingdomapbuilder provided. MSRT will automatically scan your computer after it's been downloaded via windows update. It will not do a full scan however, it'll only scan for newly discovered viruses/worms/rootkits/ect (hence each month's scan will be vastly different)
this screenshot is from one of my virtual machines (I haven't updated it in ages, so that's why you see win 7 service pack 1 on there, lol)

if you saw it in your root drive, my guess is that you just downloaded it and it was in the progress of scanning.

So much information

PS:
More Info: http://windowsitpro.com/security/q-malicious-software-removal-tool-msrt-used-be-available-download-microsoft-website-it-coul
08/01/2015 10:01 pm
Level 42 : Master Pixel Painter
JozyP
Im sure it was a virus. Those virus scans are a joke. Never rely on them. You totally did the right thing. Just make sure that there is no left over from that, well, whatever it was. No doubt at all it was a virus.
08/01/2015 8:40 pm
Level 6 : Apprentice Network
Kingdomapbuilder
It could be a virus pretending to be MSRT, but MSRT itself is legit. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... tails.aspx
08/04/2015 10:45 am
Level 43 : Master Creeper
Dr_Steve
But I never visited any website (especially those fake/rouge security/AV software) and downloaded such fake software
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome