What Could I Add to My Mod?

avrona's Avatar avrona1/17/17 3:27 am
1 emeralds 1.4k 37
2/16/2017 11:55 am
avrona's Avatar avrona
Hi everyone,

I'm avrona, I'm not really into mods, nor do I ever use them, but I decided to get into mod making recently. I am currently working on a mod called "Ancient Cities", which adds lots of remains and lifestyle elements from these primitive people for you to explore and exploit. So does anyone have any ideas for interesting elements that I could add? It's my first mod so all advice is welcome. I already added things like herbs, new blocks with patterns drawn by these people, and some foods and items to make from these herbs. Right now I am working on a new dimension. So any ideas?
avrona
Level 40 : Master Explorer

Create an account or sign in to comment.

02/16/2017 11:55 am
avrona
So it turns out I published an early version of the mod by accident yesterday. I was in the middle of writing up a desc. but I needed to start packing my stuff for vacation, and somehow fully closing my browser also published the submission. XD

But hey, well done anyone who played it before I took it down.
02/16/2017 11:41 am
Level 24 : Expert Architect
illdeletethis
that notChickenanymore thing is great, give it some unexpected powers and sounds and you have a custom mob with an origin story like the creeper has
02/16/2017 11:22 am
avrona
So any suggestions? I really hope the first test version will be out soon, so looking for some last minute easy stuff to put in to add in.
02/15/2017 2:37 pm
avrona
Great news: The first test version of the mod will be out in a few hours!
01/18/2017 5:37 pm
Level 67 : High Grandmaster Modder
HbTextures
winnerm17 So you can use a special painting to travel to the other dimension.

The SM64 instensifies
01/18/2017 2:12 pm
Level 1 : New Miner
winnerm17
Add paintings ! I love paintings. So you can use a special painting to travel to the other dimension.
Some mobs could drop uncraftable paintings too
PD: I love paintings they aren't only for walls
01/18/2017 12:55 pm
avrona
Thanks for all the ideas
01/17/2017 8:20 pm
Level 53 : Grandmaster Architect
LightlySaltedBuilder
You should add some of the monsters from those old civilizations. Also some of the weapons could be pretty cool.
01/18/2017 5:12 am
Level 29 : Expert Blacksmith
striker107
I got a few ideas to expand on this.
First the mobs: Maybe have like new versions of already existing mobs (like zombie versions of the people from the ruins?) and/or "machines" of these long lost civilizations (like golems but maybe have special models for the golems?)

Second weapons: What is the ruins theme? Is it based off of a civilization from real life or a new one? If it's based off of one from real life then research the weapons that they use and alter them to what suits you (but don't alter them too much). And if it's a new one try these:
1: Pyth, visual: A double curved silvery blade (it curves away from the holder then back to straight) with a golden handle, damage: between 2-3, speed: 2.3, knockback: (you decide) and ability: There is a chance for when you land a critical hit it'll do 2x instead of 1.5x.
2: Barlder, visual: a rather long sword of a crimson color with a black handle, damage: 7.5, speed: 1.1, knockback: (you decide) and ability: When it hits a shield it disables it for 2 seconds and does increased dammage to a shield.
Etc.

That is all for now.
Respectfully Striker107.
01/17/2017 5:01 pm
Level 88 : Elite Modder
Fureniku
So you've currently got;

- Herbs
- Food
- A new Dimension
- Baseline blocks (Decorative with no function)

What is your new dimension? How is it different from the overworld? That's important for what people will suggest further

Also, you said there's a bug that prevented you from releasing it today; what is the bug?
01/17/2017 5:14 pm
avrona
Yes those are the things so far,with herbs becoming a key mechanic in the mod. And there won't be many blocks with use. The new dimension has the WIP name "Dungeon Grove", and is mainly there to be spooky and hide rare resources and more artifacts from these ancient people. It will have several biomes for sure. And there are really two bugs/problems.

1. I accidentally been using some pre-made asset codes that are for 1.10, not 1.11.

and

2. I created this abomination of a custom chicken somehow:
01/17/2017 4:52 pm
Level 15 : Journeyman Modder
Chickens4Life
If Avrona is keen to stop being erh, like he is on the other thread then i am more then happy to give ideas
01/17/2017 8:14 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
No need to carry the politics over when the referenced debate isn't the focus at hand.
01/17/2017 10:31 pm
Level 44 : Master Architect
Lachie1770
Hes still got a valid point.
01/17/2017 4:46 pm
avrona
Thank you.
01/17/2017 4:43 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
Lachie. Lets leave the flame war on the other thread. Let's actually give Avrona ideas.
01/17/2017 4:40 pm
avrona
I didn't. There is just no correlation between the two things. Plus how am I a hypocrite? Did you seriously have to invade this thread too for no reason?

So any normal got any suggestions for the mod?
01/17/2017 4:28 pm
Lachie1770
avrona
Bruh, I Wouldn't waste time on this guy, Hes to offensive to other people that don't agree with him

???

Oh You conveniently forgot what you said on the other thread.. And how mods are bad etc.

01/17/2017 4:24 pm
avrona
Bruh, I Wouldn't waste time on this guy, Hes to offensive to other people that don't agree with him

???
01/17/2017 4:23 pm
Lachie1770
Latiodile
avronajson isn't really the main problem. The main one is transforming every single thing on the mod to use only stuff from under 1.8.Plus the lite version is still not a finalised idea. it might happend, but it's not worth making the entire mod over.

if i were up to it, i would offer to backport the mod for you. but conisdering.. well you, i'm not sure that's the best idea, no offence

Bruh, I Wouldn't waste time on this guy, Hes to offensive to other people that don't agree with him.
01/17/2017 4:20 pm
avrona
Any ideas where to hide the easter eggs then?
01/17/2017 4:23 pm
HbTextures
Add items which aren't in the creative menu (try disabling them in NEI with their API) or blocks which are only found on specific coordinates. Add text to model textures on places where the UV doesn't detect them, or just throw random crap into your assets folder. Add hidden functions to seemingly useless items or functions which are exclusive to few people.
01/17/2017 4:17 pm
HbTextures
SpookyRen
But, add easter eggs into the mod.

Easter eggs? I have experience in making those! My mod has so many, even I lost track how many there are. Heck, I was drunk half the time, I couldn't even know all of them!
01/17/2017 1:20 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Latiodile
avronajson isn't really the main problem. The main one is transforming every single thing on the mod to use only stuff from under 1.8.Plus the lite version is still not a finalised idea. it might happend, but it's not worth making the entire mod over.

if i were up to it, i would offer to backport the mod for you. but conisdering.. well you, i'm not sure that's the best idea, no offence
01/17/2017 1:15 pm
avrona
Latiodile
SpookyRenWhy are you making a "lite" version for 1.7.10. That would be a big untapped market.
(Do not say that its old and has less features!)

this, if you want people to actually use the mod, develop it for 1.11+ like you are now, and then backport it fully (if you even can, you'd probably have to do some research on how to since json format isn't a thing)

json isn't really the main problem. The main one is transforming every single thing on the mod to use only stuff from under 1.8.Plus the lite version is still not a finalised idea. it might happend, but it's not worth making the entire mod over.
01/17/2017 12:52 pm
Level 22 : Expert Blockhead
raidarr
If you haven't, some schematics similar to the random villages would be interesting (though obviously instead of villages, the ruined structures of ancient day).
01/17/2017 12:49 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Dragon
Latiodile
SpookyRenWhy are you making a "lite" version for 1.7.10. That would be a big untapped market.

this, if you want people to actually use the mod, develop it for 1.11+ like you are now, and then backport it fully (if you even can, you'd probably have to do some research on how to since json format isn't a thing)
01/17/2017 12:44 pm
Level 16 : Journeyman Network
Konrad
Why are you making a "lite" version for 1.7.10. That would be a big untapped market.

But, add easter eggs into the mod. Also, add a kingdom dimension maybe?
01/17/2017 12:48 pm
avrona
The mod already has lot's of features that require 1.8+, plus it would be hard replacing every single thing in the final mod with pre 1.8 stuff only just for another version. 1.7.10 is still a big market though, so at least I want to create a lite version, but it's not known if it will happen or not.
01/17/2017 12:34 pm
avrona
Nevermind, the public test version can't release today due to a rather nasty bug
01/17/2017 10:53 am
avrona
I already have some stuff buried underground, but I will still add a lot more. Also if this helps brainstorm:

One of the main mechanics of the mod will be the herbs. Three I created so far is Lucky Herb, Gate Leaf, and Wizard Herb, and there are already a few items you can make with them. So if you got any ideas based around that please reply below.

Here's a picture of the herb "Gate Leaf":

01/17/2017 10:45 am
Level 29 : Expert Architect
Dras
Perhaps have buried towns or cities that people can excavate that has some old artifacts and whatnot?
01/17/2017 10:36 am
avrona
Great idea with the guardians. Also the mod will be for 1.11, however there is a plan for an "Ancient Cities Lite" for 1.7.10 and upwards. It is a plan though, so I can't guarantee Ancient Cities Lite will happen.
01/17/2017 7:34 am
HbTextures
Sounds interesting, a new dimension would be nice. Add some kind of ancient guardians partolling the ruins, otherwise it would be too easy to loot the treasures (and probably too easy to just build an automated quarry, I love me some game breaking machines) Btw, what versions can we expect this to release for?
01/17/2017 7:15 am
avrona
Thanks for the ideas. The first public test version I will release today.
01/17/2017 6:25 am
Level 12 : Journeyman Mage
2very icey
Perhaps look through the ancient stories from civilizations such as Rome, Greece, and other major civilizations...than use your knowledge of those civilizations to create a world type that is oceans and islands....than maybe make it so that as time goes on, new things are generated on the islands....spreading more through the world, and getting more advanced...perhaps include important events such as the openning of the collasuem, the Trojan war, and also allow for the player to buy slaves from empires such as Rome...but to sum is up...make an island generation world that simulates the advancement and wars of actual history

P.S. perhaps for plagues you can use something similar to the dragon breath potion code...
01/17/2017 3:57 am
Level 16 : Journeyman Caveman
Hafuka
Some mythological or extinct creatures replacing some of Minecraft's mobs maybe?

And that new dimension should be accessed not by a portal, but instead by drinking some potion made from one of those herbs.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome