What exactly counts as a "good" blog on PMC?

Journal's Avatar Journal3/3/15 8:12 pm
3/14/2015 9:25 am
CalPal_'s Avatar CalPal_
NOTE: Please do not take this topic in the wrong way, I'm just genuinely curious.

I'm just really confused here. On PMC, all I do is write stories and tutorials, but this one thing kind of bothers me.

OK, so for example this one blog got 4 Diamonds, and seems more of a "troll" kind of blog you know? -snip- Most likely took 5-10 mins maximum. It's short, and a unserious topic. Again, please, I mean no offense to this person, but it's kind of ridiculous.

Now, if we go to my blog -snip-

It gets the same amount of Diamonds, less views, and no comments. However I spent a half-hour on the thumbnail, and easily 100-120 minutes on the article itself, adding pictures and whatnot, providing examples, checking for grammar errors.

But, thing is, how is it that the first blog got more than the second? What does it have that mine does not? I know I sound very, very, selfish here, but you have to understand how disheartening it is when you spend so much time and effort on an original idea, content and originality, just to have some guy with a mainstream joke upshow you.

So, my question is, what exactly does PMC like for blogs? Am I just in the wrong area or what..? I'm confused.

Again, apologies for how rude I may of came of as, but it really does bother me.
Journal
Level 28 : Expert Scribe

Create an account or sign in to comment.

03/14/2015 9:25 am
Level 38 : Artisan Cake
CalPal_
Basically, in the PMC of today, no matter how quality your blogs are, they will only be as popular as you are (mainly because near nobody just looks at the section anymore). Granted, it CAN be easier to become more popular if you do quality work, but it can also be easy to become popular by making sub-par content that appeals to what people think or want to see. Now if you can combine quality with what the vast majority of people want to read (which is basically impossible on this site these days), you're a s00per winner.
I like to think I took the quality path to semi-popularity, but yah know. Kinda hard for me to judge that.
03/14/2015 3:22 am
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
Please calm down, all of you, this is a civil debate, not an argument about who writes better. It doesn't matter when our last blog was, or even if we write blogs at all. If you think only bloggers should be allowed to talk about blogging, may I refer you to "only pure Norwegians should be allowed to live in Norway" - terrorist.

@Arty I don't know if you've noticed, but most of the people who have said anything here are actually quite popular bloggers. Look at Xoyjaz, why in the horrid fires of Mordor would he follow the logic "people must hate good blogs because my blogs aren't popular" when he beats a great percentage of the site's bloggers?
For me to explain in depth why people value trolling over quality I'd have to offend quite a lot of people, but if you want me to, shoot me a PM or Skype message.
03/13/2015 6:50 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
Artylmaaaaao everyone in here is complaining that 'people must hate good quality blogs because MY blogs don't get popular and MY blogs are definitely quality,' grumble grumble grumble.

like, no.
We aren't. No one is.
03/13/2015 6:04 pm
Level 7 : Apprentice Network
Tech
I think a good blog contributes to the community.

I also think that a major reason blogs are more popular than others are because of the topic-title (and sometimes the thumbnail quality). Stuff that is really popular outside of Minecraft and even inside of Minecraft will get more views. For example, FNAF is really popular right now so it generally gets more views, regardless of quality.
03/13/2015 6:10 pm
Level 69 : High Grandmaster Architect
Xoyjaz
Thats what sharp people do, they look for what is relevant. Why do something that was last year when this year its so much more other stuff to do. Keep the tree, just cut the long old leaves so new fresh ideas can come to life.
03/13/2015 5:52 pm
Level 22 : Expert Grump
Arty
lmaaaaao everyone in here is complaining that 'people must hate good quality blogs because MY blogs don't get popular and MY blogs are definitely quality,' grumble grumble grumble.

like, no.

popularity on pmc (or any website for that matter) is unpredictable and over quickly. this is why so many large companies are only just starting to understand the power of the internet so they can harness it for profit, which doesn't always work out well from them. this is coming from experience when I say that you can't predict what's going to be popular. i've had three blogs blow up on this site from both the 'quality' category and the 'troll' category (back before that was against the rules) and I didn't expect the sort of reaction it got.

you can complain all day about how 'pmc haaaates good quality because iiiii'm not famous' but that won't get you anywhere. write what you love, write what you feel like writing, and if you want to get noticed (because everyone does let's be honest) advertise it in chat.

at the end of the day, popularity is going to end. I posted more blogs and they didn't receive that sort of attention. was i mad? yes, for a little while. but they were blogs that I loved writing. so i kept going.

just do you. you go glen coco
03/13/2015 6:07 pm
Xoyjaz
Nice points, very nice. I dont think me personally or chron which I had a discussion with ever mentioned complaining that people must hate good blogs etc.
What I said is the majority-thats a big difference. There are a lot of people doing blog reasearch and reading, But the majority who complain about the blog section doesnt do anything. Why complain about others when you cant do it yourself? It all starts with you, you have to be the person who look at blogs, gives feedback and really give life into the section again. Not that there isnt that but 1 person doing it can do a lot of difference.
When you say the fame or popularity ends shouldnt be mentioned, what should be mentioned is: How long can you keep it coming? Can you extend your end of popularity? Thats when you look for new angles and new options. Thats how people back in the days when they were famous have kept thereselves relavent until this day while some people havnt.
What I used to do is once a day I just clicked on 20 blogs and looked thorugh them. 11 of them could been flagged so I end up with 50% most of the time. I read and I learn, I read the comments and I look for what people want. I go to the chat and look for what people complained about or what they were hyped for. What drags the audience. I always used to give feedback, so that the result of the conversation gave me and the bloggers something to learn and think about.
I dont say do this, but if you are complaining do something about it. Thats what I did, and it gave me new friends+experience. There are many ways, you just got to shift lanes and keep relevant. Keep it coming, dont complain. Until you reach a satifised level
03/13/2015 3:58 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
To add in my two cents, when you enter the category of blogging, there are two results: You're going to be popular and loved by everyone, or you're going to be a blogger, not loved by everyone, who serves up dishes of the honest truth. You pick the path you want.
03/13/2015 4:35 pm
Xoyjaz
I would say I disagree with this point of yours (Dont take it personal, lets get into it)
As a closing comment it has to be on point. There are many results, its bigger than that:
1) Post a blog,not gaining popularity but gaining your core fans
2) Post a blog and it gets on the pop up real=popular for its period
3) Quality blog for certain readers
4) Good blog can make enemies as well, people who want to compete against you
5) Post a good blog, can he do it again? Everyone thinks its good but wont become a fan of yours until you can deliver it several times
6) Post a bad and your reputation as a blogger downgrades
7) Post a bad blog and it drags attention to people who want to give you feedback on how to improve and therefore will follow you to your success (Done this a lot to many bloggers, dont give up on them)
8) Write a rude blog and the community rants on you while some people might roll with you (few 5/100)
9) Write a bad blog that goes "viral" and does good beacuse it was really bad
10) Write a bad blog and the critism is to harsh. Results in you never make a blog again.
11) Write a bad blog and it gets no attention, you reached the bottom. People dont care for your blogs until you deliver again ofc.
12) Write bad blogs after bad blogs and you dont get noticed anymore=ignored.

I could go on forever so you see my point?
03/13/2015 5:00 pm
Level 47 : Master Cowboy
Chron
I'm not referring to specific scenarios; rather, the personality and motivation of someone who posts blogs. There are two and only two kinds of people that post blogs:

1. People who quickly write stuff up for the lulz and XP, usually achieve widespread fame and eternal love or nothing at all, depending on how many people find humor in their... things.

This is not a blogger.

2. People who put time and effort into their blogs, and use them as a tool to serve/enlighten the community. Because they have actual opinions on actual subjects, they won't be liked by everyone. Their overall success is dependent not on how many people agree with them, but on the execution of their craft.

This is a blogger.

All of those scenarios you listed are going to fall under one of these two categories.
03/13/2015 5:28 pm
Xoyjaz
I can go with that, but then again this is not the case. Beacuse what are the categories for these people: personality and motivation ?
Well then there are many points here. But rather than naming them think of it. Why does a person want to post a blog? Thats the thing you categorized them as, and there must be more than 2 ofc. There are loads of reasons. But than again you were just rushing it to conclusion as I understand, this is not the topic.
03/13/2015 3:57 pm
Level 41 : Master Blob
Navbarry
Idk, my most recent blog seems to be popular. Probably because it's a useful tutorial.
03/13/2015 3:53 pm
Level 49 : Master Sweetheart
Zatharel
The basic thing you should understand is that this community values 5 minutes of writing spam over quality content. It's not fair, it should not be this way, but it is. Take it from someone who doesn't have a blog on his profile that wasn't on the popular reel. Continue writing what you love, don't let others decide for you.

03/13/2015 3:31 pm
Level 55 : Grandmaster Musician
Punkamoar
Alright, Bloggers swoop in.

You're complaining that you don't have popularity. That's pretty much what I got out of what you said. You've posted a limited amount of blogs. I didn't see what blog you linked, but might I assume that either they posted it sooner, they had things that people agreed with more, or that they were just more popular. People tend to like more fickle things, just because they enjoy reading things that either make them laugh, or because it deals with something that's really big right now.

You haven't been on the site for a while, so of course you'll have more shaky popularity. You expect much in a little time. I did not become one of the proprietors of a blogging group overnight. Be patient, and your work will pay off.
03/13/2015 11:45 am
Level 27 : Expert Miner
anonpmc52215
[deleted]
03/13/2015 11:36 am
Level 43 : Master Creeper
Dr_Steve
Excerpt of the rules
An Excerpt of the rules
7.2.2Acceptable Blogs

The following categories of blog are acceptable in the Blog section. Anything outside of these categories either belongs in the forums or does not belong on Planet Minecraft.

•Tutorials: .

•Art: Vlogs/Let's Plays:

•Reviews:
•Journals/Experiences:
•Articles/Opinions:
•Stories:
•Constructive Criticism:
•Interviews: A blog type in which a person (interviewer) asks another (interviewee) a series of questions relating to their life and personality.

It must be a living, breathing person and not a fake item, block, creature, or concept.

Interviews with yourself are introductions and belong in the forums as there is already a section dedicated for members to know you better.

Unacceptable Blogs
The following is a list of the content that are no longer considered blogs for the Blog section of Planet Minecraft and instead belong in the Planet Minecraft forums.

•Advertisements
•Spam/Nonsense/Random:
•Subscriber/Introduction Blogs:
•Recruitment/Teams/Groups:
•Contests:
•Shops & Requests:
•Questions
•Skin Series:
•Blacklist/Complaints:
•Specials and Announcements:
•Complaints and Petitions:
•Rants:
•Lists:

More Information: A blog is something that brings a significant contribution to the community
03/13/2015 11:27 am
Level 30 : Artisan Grump
+snakeonthebus+
Speaking as a popular blogger (that's a weird way to start), I believe as long as you persevere and enjoy writing what you do, you will succeed. Trust me, if you don't enjoy what you write, it will show. It may take some time, but don't give up; your next post may be the turning point in your channel.
I, also, think it is important to have a catchy title and picture. You have to drag readers in. Yes, I said drag. Readers have a limited amount of time (some more than others) they want to spend on each post, so you have to get their attention--that doesn't always mean something flashy. A title is the way to do it. Make sure it can grab the reader's attention.
We all have heard a picture is worth a thousand words. Well, its worth some diamonds and views in PMC, too. Don't forget to try and get a picture for your post. If you can't get one, don't worry. As long as you have good content, you'll still get views. Pictures are just there for support.
03/13/2015 11:25 am
Level 27 : Expert Blacksmith
StingRay_FTW
The kids on PMC like randomness in a blog. Adults/mature kids like the serious blogs more. Kids are pretty much on PMC more. That's pretty much what's happening here.
03/13/2015 3:22 pm
Xoyjaz
Nice to see peoples opinion and comment on this one, but your comment doesnt work like that my man. You cant just say that kids dont like serious blogs when mostly "kids" as you use are complaining. If the complain that means it doesnt matter who you are. Just do give everyone a chance, thats the thing
03/12/2015 7:08 pm
Level 48 : Master Button Pusher
PolarBearSmall_
What these d00ds said
But I usually look at blogs, in my opinion, based on how it looks from scrolling through the blog area. I know, I know, 'dont judge a book by its cover.' Well I do that because if you want to appeal to someone, use a nice picture. Bright colors catches everyone attention.
Second, create a well made name. I spend most of my time on the name, because who wants to read something named 'A Story'? It gives no, whatchamacallit, no SPARK. It makes the person look at it say, 'Eh.' Don't be bland
Thirdddd, put some feeling into your blog. Even if it's just a tutorial or a whatever, always make sure the:
1. Grammar is correct
2. You spent time on it
3. The description is appealing
4. treat it like it's a resumé for a big company that your life depends on BUT at the same time, don't spend 20 hours and 15 years on a sentence

This is just opinions, taters gonna tate and haters gonna do what they headphones (see how that sentence made no sense? check yo stuff!)
Happy Blogging!
03/13/2015 10:55 am
Xoyjaz
Thats good to hear and thats what I more people to be. Some are arrogant and dont bother but the person is a member, if he has talent let him grow by giving him a diamond. Or that fire will burn out.
In this case the problem is we need more people like you.
03/12/2015 6:48 pm
Xoyjaz
So let me take my view on this. Comming from a blogger this should be a decent answer you should take to consideration.
The ammount of time you spend on a blog does not appeal to the reader, only the content. Time does not define how good a blog is. But I understand what you are getting at. This has been a issue on pmc for a long time, I tried many times doing blogs to prevent this. And by prevent this I mean reminding people how to show appritiation and respect the section. I think its important since the blog section has a decent ammount of poor quality in its section. Therefore encouraging bloggers who actually try to do some good work and appriciate their work by reading and giving good feedback wuld increase some of the quality in the blog section. Trust me, it will.

So back to your blog, so I took a swipe look at your blogs. For me as a new blogger it gets a good ammount of attention and the stats on them looks actually really good. Know that blogs dont get a lot of attention anyways, so getting 10+ is really good or many views. I see only 1 blog you have 2 diamonds so I dont see the issue.
In this situation the only problem is your patience, you demand a lot on such short time. Getting into the game eaither takes a lot of constantly putting out blogs or just waiting for your to reach a level where people reconize you more. As I see it you will become popular not now but in the future. If not you just post ideas and people see that you are always active in the blog section. With good quality blogs ofc.
And one day you will write the blog of your life that changes everything, that gives you a lot of diamonds and finally becomes the turn point in your blogging thing.
Good luck =)
03/03/2015 10:10 pm
Level 30 : Artisan Architect
PizzaPenguin_
I think it has to do with people's attention spans, as well as popularity.

Unfortunately, even though short, simple blogs take less time and effort than blogs like yours, they receive more attention because people have the time to read it quickly, and aren't overwhelmed by the size of the passage.

Most of the time, it highly depends on the popularity of the user. If you have more subscribers, you get more views when you post it, more diamonds, etc. Then, it goes to the pop reel and is exposed to a greater audience.

I would go so far as to say that the blog doesn't even matter as much as the person posting it to some people. If the exact same blog was posted on a level 3 account that few people know, and a level 67 account that has 800 subs, is a mod, etc, the level 67 would not only get more attention, but recieve more praise. Some people would diamond the blog without reading it just because it's posted by someone they recognize and like.

Although at first this post just seemed like a shameless self plug to me, I checked out your blog anyways. It's actually very well-written and looks nice. I can tell you put effort into it, and I think you deserve more recognition. I gave you a diamond, and I'm subscribing to see any future content of yours. Good luck!
03/03/2015 10:15 pm
Level 28 : Expert Scribe
Journal
I just realized the first link was taken down for spam...ah, well as long as my point is able to stand I guess it's cool.

But yes, thank you, I never did consider the fact of the simplicity of more support based over better content. Thanks for the tip, and even more so for the sub.
Planet Minecraft

Website

© 2010 - 2024
www.planetminecraft.com

Welcome